|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Brown eyes.
(c) Dark colored skin.
(d) Coarse hair.
3. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(d) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
4. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to Africa.
(b) Missionaries to India.
(c) Missionaries to South America.
(d) Missionaries to America.
5. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Foreign Education Bill.
(b) G.I. Bill.
(c) The Soldier's Education Act.
(d) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
2. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
3. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
5. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)