|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Encounter on the Seine: Black Meets Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
(a) To make a livelihood from music.
(b) To change Whites' views of Black music.
(c) To travel to other parts of the country.
(d) To sing at churches.
2. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Lena Horne.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Pearl Bailey.
(d) Carmen Jones.
3. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Harlem apartment.
(b) A Chicago tenement.
(c) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(d) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
4. What are protest novels?
(a) Racism connecting nowhere to social policy.
(b) Socialism connecting nowhere to racism.
(c) Reality connecting nowhere with fantasy.
(d) Fantasies connecting nowhere to reality.
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(a) Hotel Attendant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
2. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
4. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
5. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)