|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Journey to Atlanta.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Our World.
(b) Ebony and Essence.
(c) Ebony and Jet.
(d) Essence and Jet.
2. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(c) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(d) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
3. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Little Women.
(c) Black Boy.
5. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) Life in America moves slower.
(b) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
(c) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
(d) Life in America moves faster.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
4. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)