|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's sadness.
(b) His father's kindness.
(c) His father's love.
(d) His father's temper.
2. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
(a) Only one chaperone for the group.
(b) An extra tour.
(c) Mr. Wades as the group's manager and guardian .
(d) The trip to Atlanta.
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has divided Negro men and women.
(b) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(c) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(d) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
4. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Joe Adams.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
5. What term does Baldwin use to describe the lives of American student in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) Social Limbo.
(b) Social Stability.
(c) Social Butterflies.
(d) Social Congruence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
2. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
3. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
4. Where is Atlanta located?
5. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)