|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
(b) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
(c) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
(d) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
2. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(b) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(c) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(d) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
3. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
(a) Racial discrimination.
(b) Undemocratic discrimination.
(c) Democratic discrimination.
(d) Age discrimination.
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) Life in America moves slower.
(b) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
(c) Life in America moves faster.
(d) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(b) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(c) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(d) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
3. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
4. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
5. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)