|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(b) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(c) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(d) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(c) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
3. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
4. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
(a) By observing the lifestyle of the French African.
(b) By speaking with Parisians.
(c) By studying at a Parisian University.
(d) By observing others and examining his own growth.
5. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
2. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
3. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
4. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
5. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)