|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(b) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
(c) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
(d) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
2. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of freedom.
(b) One of bureaucracy.
(c) One of democracy.
(d) One of equality.
3. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(b) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(c) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(d) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
5. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
2. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
4. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
5. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)