|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of democracy.
(b) One of freedom.
(c) One of bureaucracy.
(d) One of equality.
2. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(b) Atlantic City.
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(b) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(d) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
4. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
(a) To travel to other parts of the country.
(b) To make a livelihood from music.
(c) To sing at churches.
(d) To change Whites' views of Black music.
5. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
(a) Henry Wallace.
(b) Mrs. Brandon Price.
(c) Clarance Warde.
(d) Louis Burner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
2. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
5. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)