|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
(a) Many that studied there return to America.
(b) Many that studied there saw active duty
(c) Many that studied there did not see active duty.
(d) Many that did not study in Paris died in battle.
2. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Jospehine Baker.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Duke Ellington.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
3. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Pamphlet.
(b) A Short Story.
(c) A Novel.
(d) A Play.
4. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
(b) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(c) Those that marry French women.
(d) Those that know American history.
5. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
2. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
3. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
4. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
5. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)