|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
2. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(b) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(c) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(d) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
3. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(b) The campaign promises were too common.
(c) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(d) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
4. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) The color of the sheets.
(b) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(c) A witness called the police.
(d) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
5. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
3. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
4. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)