|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(b) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(c) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(d) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
3. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(c) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(d) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
4. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
5. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(b) To prove slavery is wrong.
(c) To show the every day life of a slave.
(d) To abolish slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
3. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
4. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)