|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
(b) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(c) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(d) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
2. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Joe Adams.
4. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to America.
(b) Missionaries to South America.
(c) Missionaries to Africa.
(d) Missionaries to India.
5. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) The troops were segregated.
(b) The troops were evaluated.
(c) The troops were integrated.
(d) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
2. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
4. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
5. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)