|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
2. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(c) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
3. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(b) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(c) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(d) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
4. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dorothy Dandridge.
(b) Carmen Jones.
(c) Pearl Bailey.
(d) Lena Horne.
5. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) Twentieth Century Fox.
(c) Walt Disney Studios.
(d) MGM Studios.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
2. Who is the author of Native Son?
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)