|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(b) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(c) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(d) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
2. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(c) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(d) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(d) Negative images in the media.
4. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
5. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Problem Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Protest Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)