|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) Black No More.
(c) Carmen Jones.
(d) Native Son.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(b) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(d) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(b) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(c) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
4. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Richard Wright.
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
2. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
4. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
5. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)