|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(b) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(c) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(d) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
2. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
3. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Pre-civil rights era.
(b) Slavery era.
(d) Civil rights era.
4. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-African cast.
(b) It had an interracial cast.
(c) It had an all-Negro cast.
(d) It had an all-white cast.
5. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) MGM Studios.
(c) Walt Disney Studios.
(d) Twentieth Century Fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
2. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)