|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Pre-civil rights era.
(b) Slavery era.
(d) Civil rights era.
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Protest Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-white cast.
(b) It had an all-Negro cast.
(c) It had an interracial cast.
(d) It had an all-African cast.
4. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
(b) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
(c) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
(d) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
5. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of African American identity.
(b) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(c) The loss of racial identity.
(d) The loss of our own identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)