|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-white cast.
(b) It had an all-Negro cast.
(c) It had an all-African cast.
(d) It had an interracial cast.
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Brown eyes.
(d) Coarse hair.
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
4. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) Third person narrative.
(b) Second person narrative.
(c) First person narrative.
(d) First person limited narrative.
5. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Pamphlet.
(b) A Novel.
(c) A Play.
(d) A Short Story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
2. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
3. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
4. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
5. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)