|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Social Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Protest Literature.
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-African cast.
(b) It had an all-Negro cast.
(c) It had an all-white cast.
(d) It had an interracial cast.
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(b) Negative images in the media.
(d) Remote Violence.
5. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
3. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)