|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(c) Black men are inferior to white men.
(d) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Social Literature.
(b) Protest Literature.
(c) Problem Literature.
(d) Change Literature.
3. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for change.
(b) Our passion for categorization.
(c) Our passion for clarity.
(d) Our passion for knowledge.
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(b) Drama .
Short Answer Questions
1. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
3. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)