|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Black Boy.
(c) Little Women.
2. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
3. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(b) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(c) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(d) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
4. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
5. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(b) The troops were integrated.
(c) The troops were evaluated.
(d) The troops were segregated.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. Who is the author of Native Son?
3. Protest novels are said to resemble:
4. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
5. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)