|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) James Baldwin.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) Langston Hughes.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
2. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of Americans.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of African Americans.
(d) The story of the original American settlers.
3. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
4. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(c) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(d) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Joe Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
3. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
4. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
5. What are protest novels?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)