|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of African American identity.
(b) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(c) The loss of our own identity.
(d) The loss of racial identity.
2. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Novel.
(b) A Short Story.
(c) A Play.
(d) A Pamphlet.
3. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
(b) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
(c) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
(d) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(c) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
5. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for clarity.
(b) Our passion for change.
(c) Our passion for knowledge.
(d) Our passion for categorization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
2. What are protest novels?
3. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
4. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
5. Protest novels are said to resemble:
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)