|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
3. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dark colored skin.
(b) Light colored skin.
(c) Fine hair.
(d) Blue eyes.
4. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(b) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(c) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(d) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
5. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
3. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
5. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)