|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Carmen Jones: The Dark Is Light Enough.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(d) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Racial prejudice.
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
4. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for knowledge.
(b) Our passion for change.
(c) Our passion for clarity.
(d) Our passion for categorization.
5. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Black Boy.
(c) Native Son.
(d) Little Women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
3. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
4. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
5. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)