Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Equal in Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) 138th Street Baptist Church.
(b) First Baptist Church.
(c) Harlem United Church.
(d) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
2. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
3. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
4. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
5. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
(b) Americans who fought in the war.
(c) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(d) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
2. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
3. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
4. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
5. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)