|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
2. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
3. What do the writer's colleagues think of him?
4. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
5. What does the writer want from Liza?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
2. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
3. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
4. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
5. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
6. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
7. What does the writer compare Liza to and how does he explain that even this is better than being a prostitute?
8. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
9. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 2
The writer states that he is envious of the normal man. Do you think the writer is a normal man? Why? Why does the writer not feel he is a normal man? What is it about the normal man that the writer is envious of?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the writer most like in the book? Provide details supporting your answer.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)