|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
2. What does the writer say about trying to rationalize situations?
3. As the writer goes on a tirade about his circumstances, what is Liza's reaction in this section?
4. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
5. Just before the writer gets into the sleigh, what does he decide he must do?
Short Essay Questions
1. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
3. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
4. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
8. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
9. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
10. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writer states that there are some things a man cannot tell his closest friends and even some things that man cannot be honest about with himself. He then comments that he will try to be honest when writing his notes. Do you think the writer is truly honest with himself throughout the entire book?
If yes, explain your answer. If no, does the writer ever become fully honest with himself and, if so, at what point?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, Chapter 5, the writer states that he participates in self-degradation in lieu of boredom. Provide examples of this. Do you think the writer does this to fight his boredom or could there be other reasons? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 1, Chapter 5, the writer seems very concerned about making the distinction between intelligent and unintelligent people. Discuss the writer's view on intelligent versus unintelligent people. How does he distinguish them? How does he feel about each? How does the writer view himself in this regard?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)