|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
2. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
3. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
4. How does the writer describe his face?
5. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Apollon's reaction to the writer when he is asked to go to the tavern for tea and biscuits?
2. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
3. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
4. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
5. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
6. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
7. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
8. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
9. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
10. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writer discusses men of action. What does he say about men of action? How does he feel about these men? Does he think of himself as a man of action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, Dostoevsky states that the narrator is fictional. Do you think he is truly fictional or could he possible represent Dostoevsky? Support your answer with evidence from the book and what you've learned about Dostoevsky personally.
Essay Topic 3
When the writer wakes up next to Liza, he is disgusted and begins to yell at her. Discuss this tirade. Do you think he is disgusted at Liza because she is a prostitute or at himself? What is the result of the writer's tirade?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)