|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
2. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
3. In what is Zverkov an expert?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 9, the writer begins a speech about why he goes to see Liza. What does the writer say Liza's thought's for his visit are?
5. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
2. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
3. What does the writer compare Liza to and how does he explain that even this is better than being a prostitute?
4. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
6. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
7. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
8. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All stories have conflict. Describe the type or types of conflict expressed in this story and if or how they are resolved by the end of the story.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, Dostoevsky states that the narrator is fictional. Do you think he is truly fictional or could he possible represent Dostoevsky? Support your answer with evidence from the book and what you've learned about Dostoevsky personally.
Essay Topic 3
What character is the writer most like in the book? Provide details supporting your answer.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)