|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
2. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
3. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
4. How many days pass between the writer's first meeting with Liza and the second?
5. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
2. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
5. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
6. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
7. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
8. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
9. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2 of the book, the writer often refers to the snow. What does the snow represent to or say about the writer?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, do you think the writer is a "Hero" or a "Coward"? Provide examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When the writer wakes up next to Liza, he is disgusted and begins to yell at her. Discuss this tirade. Do you think he is disgusted at Liza because she is a prostitute or at himself? What is the result of the writer's tirade?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)