|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
2. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
4. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
5. What is it about the writer's experience with Liza that astonishes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
2. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
3. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
4. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
5. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
6. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
7. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
8. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
10. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 1, Chapter 6, the reader further learns that the author lives in self pity and loathing. Discuss how this way of life has affected him in terms of his work life, love life, and social life.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer fantasizes about a formula for the desires of man. What does he say would happen to free will if such a formula existed and how do you think he feels about this?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 1, Chapter 5, the writer states that he participates in self-degradation in lieu of boredom. Provide examples of this. Do you think the writer does this to fight his boredom or could there be other reasons? Explain your answer.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)