|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
2. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
3. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
4. What does the writer say consumption is?
5. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
2. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
3. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
4. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
5. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
6. What does the writer compare Liza to and how does he explain that even this is better than being a prostitute?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer wakes up to a clock chiming. How does he describe the clock?
8. How does the writer try to cover up his feelings about Liza being at his apartment?
9. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
10. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All stories have conflict. Describe the type or types of conflict expressed in this story and if or how they are resolved by the end of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 3
There are striking similarities between the writer and Liza. Discuss these similarities and how they affect the writer. Does the writer feel a connection with Liza and if so, does he accept it?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)