|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferfichkin say he would have done if he was early for the dinner?
2. What type of people does the writer state are the only type to go mad?
3. Who sits to the left of the writer at the dinner party?
4. What does the writer say consumption is?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
2. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
3. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
4. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
5. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
6. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
7. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
8. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
9. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
10. How does the writer try to cover up his feelings about Liza being at his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2 of the book, the writer often refers to the snow. What does the snow represent to or say about the writer?
Essay Topic 3
Qhat point do you consider the climax of this story? Support your answer with significant events leading up to this point.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)