|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people does the writer state are the only type to go mad?
2. What does Ferfichkin say he would have done if he was early for the dinner?
3. When the others arrive for the dinner party, Zverkov is in the lead and appears to be in charge. How does he respond when he learns the time of the writer's arrival?
4. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
5. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
3. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
4. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
6. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer wakes up to a clock chiming. How does he describe the clock?
8. What does the writer compare Liza to and how does he explain that even this is better than being a prostitute?
9. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
10. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Qhat point do you consider the climax of this story? Support your answer with significant events leading up to this point.
Essay Topic 2
When the writer wakes up next to Liza, he is disgusted and begins to yell at her. Discuss this tirade. Do you think he is disgusted at Liza because she is a prostitute or at himself? What is the result of the writer's tirade?
Essay Topic 3
There are striking similarities between the writer and Liza. Discuss these similarities and how they affect the writer. Does the writer feel a connection with Liza and if so, does he accept it?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)