|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Liza visits the writer at his home. Upset by this, how does the writer say he would take revenge on his visitor?
2. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
3. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
5. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
3. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
4. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
5. How does the writer try to cover up his feelings about Liza being at his apartment?
6. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
10. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are striking similarities between the writer and Liza. Discuss these similarities and how they affect the writer. Does the writer feel a connection with Liza and if so, does he accept it?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, Chapter 8, the writer fantasizes about a formula for the desires of man. What does he say would happen to free will if such a formula existed and how do you think he feels about this?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the writer most like in the book? Provide details supporting your answer.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)