|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer feel about his schoolmate Zverkov?
2. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
3. Which of the diners states that he almost got married two days before?
4. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
5. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
2. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
3. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
4. After the writer has finished his speech to Liza, he turns to leave. Before he goes, she gives him a letter to read. Who was the letter from and what did it say?
5. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
7. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
8. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
9. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
10. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 2 of the book, the writer often refers to the snow. What does the snow represent to or say about the writer?
Essay Topic 3
The writer states that he is envious of the normal man. Do you think the writer is a normal man? Why? Why does the writer not feel he is a normal man? What is it about the normal man that the writer is envious of?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)