|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about the writer's experience with Liza that astonishes him?
2. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
3. Why would the writer lower his eyes when he comes in contact with the office clerks?
4. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
5. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer wakes up to a clock chiming. How does he describe the clock?
3. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
4. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
6. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
7. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
8. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
10. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the writer wakes up next to Liza, he is disgusted and begins to yell at her. Discuss this tirade. Do you think he is disgusted at Liza because she is a prostitute or at himself? What is the result of the writer's tirade?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 3
All stories have conflict. Describe the type or types of conflict expressed in this story and if or how they are resolved by the end of the story.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)