|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
2. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
3. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
4. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
5. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
2. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
3. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
4. When Liza visits the writer at his home, the situation seems rather intense. What does the writer say that people often do in such situations?
5. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
7. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
8. After the writer has finished his speech to Liza, he turns to leave. Before he goes, she gives him a letter to read. Who was the letter from and what did it say?
9. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
10. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Qhat point do you consider the climax of this story? Support your answer with significant events leading up to this point.
Essay Topic 2
The writer states that he is envious of the normal man. Do you think the writer is a normal man? Why? Why does the writer not feel he is a normal man? What is it about the normal man that the writer is envious of?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the writer's interactions with others, do you think he is respected? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)