|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
2. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
3. What does the writer state happens to stupid Russian romantics?
4. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
5. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Apollon's reaction to the writer when he is asked to go to the tavern for tea and biscuits?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
3. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer wakes up to a clock chiming. How does he describe the clock?
5. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
6. What does the writer find when he arrives at the dinner party and how does he feel about it?
7. Why does the writer think Liza comes to his apartment?
8. How does the writer try to cover up his feelings about Liza being at his apartment?
9. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
10. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 2
The writer states that he is envious of the normal man. Do you think the writer is a normal man? Why? Why does the writer not feel he is a normal man? What is it about the normal man that the writer is envious of?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the writer's interactions with others, do you think he is respected? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)