|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Liza from?
2. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
3. What are Apollon's wages?
4. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
5. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
2. What reasons does the writer give for loathing his old classmate Zverkov?
3. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
4. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
5. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
6. When the writer goes to visit Anton Antonych, there are other men also visiting. What do the men discuss and how does the writer feel about this conversation?
7. The writer describes some office clerks that repulse him. Discuss these characters.
8. What does the writer compare Liza to and how does he explain that even this is better than being a prostitute?
9. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2 of the book, the writer often refers to the snow. What does the snow represent to or say about the writer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss who the writer is writing to. Does he anticipate others to read his notes? Does he withhold any information in fear that someone will read his notes? What does this style of narration add to or take away from the story?
Essay Topic 3
The writer discusses men of action. What does he say about men of action? How does he feel about these men? Does he think of himself as a man of action? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)