|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Apollon's wages?
2. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
3. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
4. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer want to do when the others arrive and what does he actually do?
2. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
3. What is Apollon's reaction to the writer when he is asked to go to the tavern for tea and biscuits?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
6. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
7. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
9. Why is the writer surprised that Liza does not leave after being lied to and yelled at?
10. Describe the characteristics of a romantic, according to the writer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss who the writer is writing to. Does he anticipate others to read his notes? Does he withhold any information in fear that someone will read his notes? What does this style of narration add to or take away from the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the Underground? How long has the writer lived in the Underground? Are there others living in the Underground? What do you think the Underground represents to the writer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)