|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the writer goes on a tirade about his circumstances, what is Liza's reaction in this section?
2. What type of people does the writer state are the only type to go mad?
3. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
4. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
5. What day does Anton allow visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 9, when Liza goes to the writer's apartment, why does he think she becomes embarrassed?
2. What is Zverkov's attitude toward the writer?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
4. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
5. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
6. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
7. What is Zverkov's reaction to the writer's complaint about not being informed of the change in time for the dinner party?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 7 the writer is having a conversation with Liza and describes her duties to men. What does he say she must do if he whistles at her?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
10. Describe the apartment of Anton Antonych.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 2
When the writer wakes up next to Liza, he is disgusted and begins to yell at her. Discuss this tirade. Do you think he is disgusted at Liza because she is a prostitute or at himself? What is the result of the writer's tirade?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the writer's interactions with others, do you think he is respected? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)