|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he hates?
2. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
3. As the diner conversation begins, how does the writer feel?
4. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
5. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the writer describe the room he finds himself in after being drunk at the dinner party?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 1, the writer discusses his feelings about his job. What are these feelings?
3. How does the writer try to cover up his feelings about Liza being at his apartment?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer is thinking back to the events of the previous day. He begins thinking about when he lit the room and saw Liza. How does he remember her face?
5. The writer continues to ridicule Liza and her work and describes a rather somber death. What does the writer say a prostitute's death will be?
6. The writer seems very indecisive at times. While in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1 the writer states that he does not socialize with his co-workers, he later tells the reader that he sometimes tries to make friends with them. Discuss his feelings about this change in attitude toward the co-workers.
7. The writer wakes up after being drunk and finds someone next to him. How does he describe this person?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 8, the writer decides to borrow money from his friend Anton Antonych in order to repay Simonov. Why does Anton Antonych so readily lend the money?
9. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer is in the room with the prostitute and glances in the mirror. What does he see and how does he feel about it?
10. Why does the writer state that in his life he often takes insignificant roles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 1, Chapter 6, the reader further learns that the author lives in self pity and loathing. Discuss how this way of life has affected him in terms of his work life, love life, and social life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tone of the dinner party. Is the writer happy to be there? Is he accepted? Does anything happen to change the tone during the party?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the writer most like in the book? Provide details supporting your answer.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)