|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
2. What are Apollon's wages?
(a) 25 roubles.
(b) 10 roubles.
(c) 7 roubles.
(d) 15 roubles.
3. What is Liza's profession?
4. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) He feels worthless.
(b) Because of his vanity.
(c) He is ugly.
(d) He is uneducated.
5. What does the writer want from Liza?
(a) For her to disappear.
(b) For her to leave his home.
(c) For her to love him.
(d) For her to find an honorable profession.
6. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
(a) The writer's rival.
(b) The writer's brother.
(c) The writer's only regular acquaintance.
(d) The writer's neighbor.
7. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
(a) Shouts "Hurrah!" with the the others.
(b) Drinks before the toast is completed.
(d) Smashes his glass.
8. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
9. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Get a salary advance.
(b) Sell some belongings.
(c) Buy them on the black market.
(d) Get to the bank before the duel.
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
(a) Get back to work.
(b) Save his reputation with Zverkov and Simonov.
(c) See Liza again.
(d) Find love for himself.
11. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Commit crimes.
(b) Embrace people.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Seclude himself.
12. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
(a) The writer will be unhappy.
(b) The visitor will leave.
(c) He will be fired.
(d) The writer would understand.
13. How does the writer feel about the time of his arrival at the dinner party?
14. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
(a) The cabby.
(b) An important meeting.
(c) The fight during dinner.
15. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
(a) 5:25 pm.
(b) 5:00 pm.
(c) 6:00 pm.
(d) 5:30 pm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
3. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
4. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
5. What does the writer say consumption is?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)