|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(b) In love.
2. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
(c) Tea and biscuits.
3. As the dinner proceeds, how is the writer feeling?
(c) A part of the group.
(d) Crushed and broken.
4. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
(a) A cross.
(b) A flower.
(c) A love letter.
(d) His money back.
5. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
(a) For revenge.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) To show his power.
6. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Sell some belongings.
(b) Get to the bank before the duel.
(c) Get a salary advance.
(d) Buy them on the black market.
7. After leaving his friend's home, how much does the writer pay for a cab ride?
(a) 75 copecks.
(b) 50 copecks.
(c) 100 copecks.
(d) 25 copecks.
8. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
9. What does Zverkov say he would do if the peasants in his countries protested?
(a) Listen to their concerns.
(b) Have them flogged.
(c) Change the rules.
(d) Give up his post.
10. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
(b) Big talk.
11. Who comes to the writer's home that causes these feelings?
12. What is it about the writer's experience with Liza that astonishes him?
(a) His pity for her.
(b) His bruteforce.
(c) His sentimentality.
(d) His love.
13. In Part 2, Liza visits the writer at his home. Upset by this, how does the writer say he would take revenge on his visitor?
(a) By forcing the visitor to listen to his meaningless ramblings.
(b) By kicking the visitor out.
(c) By killing the visitor.
(d) By not speaking.
14. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) The others are gone.
(b) The others are talking and laughing.
(c) Only Zverkov remains.
(d) The establishment is closed.
15. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
(a) It is all a joke.
(b) The first glass of wine makes him drunk.
(c) His depression.
(d) He does not like the company.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days pass between the writer's first meeting with Liza and the second?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
3. Which of the diners states that he almost got married two days before?
4. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
5. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)