|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would the writer lower his eyes when he comes in contact with the office clerks?
(a) He feels ashamed.
(b) He feels they re superior to him.
(c) Out of respect.
(d) He finds them hideous.
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
(a) 6:30 pm.
(b) 5:30 pm.
(c) 5:00 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
3. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
(a) 1:00 am.
(b) 9:00 pm.
(c) 2:00 am.
(d) 11:00 pm.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
(a) Throws the bottle at the wall.
(b) Pours himself a full glass.
(c) Throws the bottle at the others.
(d) Drinks from the bottle.
5. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
(b) He despises them all.
(c) He never gets to know them.
(d) He enjoys their conversations.
6. As the diner conversation begins, how does the writer feel?
7. In what is Zverkov an expert?
(c) Good manners.
8. What justification does the writer give for his behavior?
(a) His status in society.
(b) His age.
(c) His education.
(d) It is a nautral law.
9. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
(a) Tea and biscuits.
10. Who sits to the left of the writer at the dinner party?
11. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
12. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) Only Zverkov remains.
(b) The establishment is closed.
(c) The others are gone.
(d) The others are talking and laughing.
13. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
(a) One of the firends is going on a journey.
(b) It is a weekly event.
(c) To visit with the writer, whom the others had not see in years.
(d) To celebrate the promotion of one of the friends.
14. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
(a) They are lucky.
(b) They are wasting their time.
(c) They are fools.
(d) They are uneducated.
15. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) Because of his vanity.
(b) He is ugly.
(c) He is uneducated.
(d) He feels worthless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Apollon's wages?
2. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
3. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
4. As the writer goes on a tirade about his circumstances, what is Liza's reaction in this section?
5. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)