|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
(c) Love and happiness.
2. What does the writer say consumption is?
(a) A normal human condition.
(b) Pure evil.
(c) An illness.
(d) A character flaw.
3. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 8, who delivers the writer's letter?
(d) The writer.
5. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
(a) They are always intelligent.
(b) They are wise men.
(c) They are uneducated.
(d) They are fools.
6. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Sell some belongings.
(b) Get to the bank before the duel.
(c) Get a salary advance.
(d) Buy them on the black market.
7. Which of the diners states that he almost got married two days before?
(b) The writer.
8. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
(a) 11:00 pm.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 1:00 am.
(d) 9:00 pm.
9. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
(a) He anticipates her arrival.
(c) He forgets about giving Liza his address.
(d) Worried she may show up at his home.
10. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
(a) It is a weekly event.
(b) To visit with the writer, whom the others had not see in years.
(c) One of the firends is going on a journey.
(d) To celebrate the promotion of one of the friends.
11. What type of people does the writer state are the only type to go mad?
(a) Hateful men.
(b) Romantic men.
(c) Stupid men.
(d) Insipid, bloodless men.
12. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
(a) It is only a dream.
(b) They just happen.
(c) They have not yet happened.
(d) They happen in the past.
13. How does the writer feel about his schoolmate Zverkov?
(a) They do not know each other.
(b) He loathes him.
(c) He likes him.
(d) They are best friends.
14. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
(a) Tell her the truth about the evening they spent together.
(b) Ask her to marry him.
(c) Ask for forgivness.
(d) Humiliate her.
15. As the writer goes on a tirade about his circumstances, what is Liza's reaction in this section?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
2. What does Zverkov say he would do if the peasants in his countries protested?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
4. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
5. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)