|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
(a) 15 roubles.
(b) 5 roubles.
(c) 6 roubles.
(d) 10 roubles
2. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
(a) For revenge.
(b) To show his power.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is upset.
3. How old is the writer when he avoids talking to or associating with others?
(a) 40 years old.
(b) 29 years old.
(c) 24 years old.
(d) 32 years old.
4. In what is Zverkov an expert?
(a) Good manners.
5. After leaving his friend's home, how much does the writer pay for a cab ride?
(a) 100 copecks.
(b) 25 copecks.
(c) 75 copecks.
(d) 50 copecks.
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
(a) Save his reputation with Zverkov and Simonov.
(b) Get back to work.
(c) Find love for himself.
(d) See Liza again.
7. How does the writer describe his face?
(d) With a mean look.
8. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she is kind to him.
(b) Because she is a prostitute.
(c) Because she laughs at him.
(d) Because he lies to her.
9. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
(a) The writer's neighbor.
(b) The writer's rival.
(c) The writer's only regular acquaintance.
(d) The writer's brother.
10. In Part 2, Liza visits the writer at his home. Upset by this, how does the writer say he would take revenge on his visitor?
(a) By kicking the visitor out.
(b) By forcing the visitor to listen to his meaningless ramblings.
(c) By killing the visitor.
(d) By not speaking.
11. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
(a) A love letter.
(b) His money back.
(c) A cross.
(d) A flower.
12. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
13. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(b) In love.
14. As the diner conversation begins, how does the writer feel?
15. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
(a) He is unashamed.
(b) He chooses this life.
(c) He is ashamed.
(d) He is not truly poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer has left the dinner and is outside. How does he describe the snow?
2. Where is Liza from?
3. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
4. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
5. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)