|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer say consumption is?
(a) An illness.
(b) A character flaw.
(c) A normal human condition.
(d) Pure evil.
2. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(b) In love.
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
4. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
5. What does the writer say about trying to rationalize situations?
(a) It is good for the mind.
(b) It provides accountability.
(c) It is useless.
(d) All men rationalize their lives.
6. What day does Anton allow visitors?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 8, who delivers the writer's letter?
(a) The writer.
8. What is the writer certain Liza will do with a letter she receives?
(a) Frame it.
(b) Preserve it forever.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Send it back.
9. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
(a) They just happen.
(b) They have not yet happened.
(c) It is only a dream.
(d) They happen in the past.
10. Where is Liza from?
(b) The writer's hometown.
11. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) The others are gone.
(b) The others are talking and laughing.
(c) Only Zverkov remains.
(d) The establishment is closed.
12. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
(a) To visit with the writer, whom the others had not see in years.
(b) To celebrate the promotion of one of the friends.
(c) One of the firends is going on a journey.
(d) It is a weekly event.
13. When the others arrive for the dinner party, Zverkov is in the lead and appears to be in charge. How does he respond when he learns the time of the writer's arrival?
(b) He ignores the writer.
(c) The writer does not mention the time of his arrival.
14. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
(a) They are wasting their time.
(b) They are uneducated.
(c) They are lucky.
(d) They are fools.
15. What is Liza's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
2. What does the writer state happens to stupid Russian romantics?
3. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
4. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
5. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)