|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Liza from?
(c) The writer's hometown.
2. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
(a) They are always intelligent.
(b) They are fools.
(c) They are wise men.
(d) They are uneducated.
3. What is Liza's profession?
4. What day does Anton allow visitors?
5. What are Apollon's wages?
(a) 15 roubles.
(b) 25 roubles.
(c) 7 roubles.
(d) 10 roubles.
6. What does the writer say consumption is?
(a) A character flaw.
(b) A normal human condition.
(c) Pure evil.
(d) An illness.
7. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
(a) He does not like the company.
(b) It is all a joke.
(c) The first glass of wine makes him drunk.
(d) His depression.
8. What does Ferfichkin say he would have done if he was early for the dinner?
(a) Filed a complaint with the establishment.
(b) Ordered something.
(d) Waited patiently.
9. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
(c) Big talk.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 3 hours.
(d) 3 years.
11. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
(a) 6:00 pm.
(b) 6:30 pm.
(c) 5:30 pm.
(d) 5:00 pm.
12. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Embrace people.
(b) Fall in love.
(c) Seclude himself.
(d) Commit crimes.
13. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Get a salary advance.
(b) Buy them on the black market.
(c) Get to the bank before the duel.
(d) Sell some belongings.
14. How many days pass between the writer's first meeting with Liza and the second?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 4 days.
15. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
(a) He chooses this life.
(b) He is not truly poor.
(c) He is unashamed.
(d) He is ashamed.
Short Answer Questions
1. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
2. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
3. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
4. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
5. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)