|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
2. What does the writer want from Liza?
(a) For her to leave his home.
(b) For her to disappear.
(c) For her to find an honorable profession.
(d) For her to love him.
3. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
(a) To celebrate the promotion of one of the friends.
(b) It is a weekly event.
(c) One of the firends is going on a journey.
(d) To visit with the writer, whom the others had not see in years.
4. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) He feels worthless.
(b) He is uneducated.
(c) He is ugly.
(d) Because of his vanity.
5. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
(a) He enjoys their conversations.
(b) He never gets to know them.
(d) He despises them all.
6. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she is a prostitute.
(b) Because she is kind to him.
(c) Because he lies to her.
(d) Because she laughs at him.
7. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
(a) He goes on an outing to the city.
(b) He plays cards with co-workers.
(c) He visita a museum.
(d) He visits the head of his department.
8. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
(a) They are always intelligent.
(b) They are wise men.
(c) They are fools.
(d) They are uneducated.
9. Why would the writer lower his eyes when he comes in contact with the office clerks?
(a) He feels ashamed.
(b) He feels they re superior to him.
(c) He finds them hideous.
(d) Out of respect.
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
(a) Get back to work.
(b) Find love for himself.
(c) Save his reputation with Zverkov and Simonov.
(d) See Liza again.
11. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
(a) He does not like the company.
(b) The first glass of wine makes him drunk.
(c) His depression.
(d) It is all a joke.
12. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Buy them on the black market.
(b) Get to the bank before the duel.
(c) Get a salary advance.
(d) Sell some belongings.
13. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(a) In love.
14. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
(a) The writer's brother.
(b) The writer's rival.
(c) The writer's only regular acquaintance.
(d) The writer's neighbor.
15. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) No one.
(b) A barmaid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
2. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
3. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
4. What does the writer say about trying to rationalize situations?
5. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)