|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
(a) He is unashamed.
(b) He is not truly poor.
(c) He chooses this life.
(d) He is ashamed.
2. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
(b) He despises them all.
(c) He never gets to know them.
(d) He enjoys their conversations.
3. What does the writer say happens to women for Liza's profession?
(a) They are honored.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They suceed.
(d) The are beaten.
4. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(c) No one.
(d) A barmaid.
5. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
6. Despite what the writer wants to do during the dinner, what does he do?
(b) Enjoys the conversation.
(c) Begins an argument.
7. What day does Anton allow visitors?
8. How old is the writer when he avoids talking to or associating with others?
(a) 29 years old.
(b) 32 years old.
(c) 40 years old.
(d) 24 years old.
9. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
(a) Tell her the truth about the evening they spent together.
(b) Ask for forgivness.
(c) Ask her to marry him.
(d) Humiliate her.
10. How does the writer feel about his schoolmate Zverkov?
(a) He likes him.
(b) He loathes him.
(c) They do not know each other.
(d) They are best friends.
11. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
(a) Their competition.
(b) A friend.
(c) A common housefly.
(d) A sight for sore eyes.
12. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
(a) See Liza again.
(b) Save his reputation with Zverkov and Simonov.
(c) Get back to work.
(d) Find love for himself.
13. How many days pass between the writer's first meeting with Liza and the second?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 2 days.
14. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
15. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
(a) The cabby.
(b) The fight during dinner.
(d) An important meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 9, the writer begins a speech about why he goes to see Liza. What does the writer say Liza's thought's for his visit are?
3. What type of people does the writer state are the only type to go mad?
4. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
5. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)