|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
2. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Commit crimes.
(b) Embrace people.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Seclude himself.
3. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
4. What does Ferfichkin say he would have done if he was early for the dinner?
(a) Ordered something.
(b) Waited patiently.
(c) Filed a complaint with the establishment.
5. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
(a) 5:25 pm.
(b) 5:30 pm.
(c) 5:00 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
(a) 5:00 pm.
(b) 6:30 pm.
(c) 5:30 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
7. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
(a) He is not truly poor.
(b) He is unashamed.
(c) He chooses this life.
(d) He is ashamed.
8. What reason does the writer give for his behavior at work?
(a) Out of spite.
(b) He is a coward.
(c) That is how educated men act.
(d) He is superior to the others.
9. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) Only Zverkov remains.
(b) The others are gone.
(c) The establishment is closed.
(d) The others are talking and laughing.
10. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
(a) The fight during dinner.
(b) The cabby.
(d) An important meeting.
11. In what is Zverkov an expert?
(b) Good manners.
12. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
(c) Love and happiness.
13. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
(a) A friend.
(b) Their competition.
(c) A sight for sore eyes.
(d) A common housefly.
14. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
(a) The visitor will leave.
(b) The writer will be unhappy.
(c) He will be fired.
(d) The writer would understand.
15. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
(b) He forgets about giving Liza his address.
(c) Worried she may show up at his home.
(d) He anticipates her arrival.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
2. What effect does the writer's speech about Liza's life have on Liza?
3. When the others arrive for the dinner party, Zverkov is in the lead and appears to be in charge. How does he respond when he learns the time of the writer's arrival?
4. What are Apollon's wages?
5. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he hates?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)