|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
(b) Big talk.
2. When the others arrive for the dinner party, Zverkov is in the lead and appears to be in charge. How does he respond when he learns the time of the writer's arrival?
(b) The writer does not mention the time of his arrival.
(c) He ignores the writer.
3. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
(a) He is ashamed.
(b) He is not truly poor.
(c) He is unashamed.
(d) He chooses this life.
4. What is it about the writer's experience with Liza that astonishes him?
(a) His pity for her.
(b) His bruteforce.
(c) His sentimentality.
(d) His love.
5. Which of the diners states that he almost got married two days before?
(d) The writer.
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
7. In what is Zverkov an expert?
(c) Good manners.
8. What day does Anton allow visitors?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 8, who delivers the writer's letter?
(c) The writer.
10. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
(a) A sight for sore eyes.
(b) A friend.
(c) Their competition.
(d) A common housefly.
11. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
(a) 5:00 pm.
(b) 5:30 pm.
(c) 6:00 pm.
(d) 5:25 pm.
12. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
(a) They are lucky.
(b) They are fools.
(c) They are uneducated.
(d) They are wasting their time.
13. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
(a) 6:30 pm.
(b) 5:00 pm.
(c) 5:30 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
14. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
(a) They are satisfing at the time.
(b) They are profound.
(c) They are frightening.
(d) They are mysterious.
15. What does the writer say consumption is?
(a) A character flaw.
(b) An illness.
(c) A normal human condition.
(d) Pure evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
2. After leaving his friend's home, how much does the writer pay for a cab ride?
3. Despite what the writer wants to do during the dinner, what does he do?
4. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)