|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
(a) One of the firends is going on a journey.
(b) To celebrate the promotion of one of the friends.
(c) To visit with the writer, whom the others had not see in years.
(d) It is a weekly event.
2. What do the writer's colleagues think of him?
(d) An odd fellow.
3. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Seclude himself.
(b) Fall in love.
(c) Embrace people.
(d) Commit crimes.
4. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
(a) They are uneducated.
(b) They are wasting their time.
(c) They are fools.
(d) They are lucky.
5. How does the writer feel about his schoolmate Zverkov?
(a) He loathes him.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) He likes him.
(d) They do not know each other.
6. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
(a) Throws the bottle at the others.
(b) Throws the bottle at the wall.
(c) Drinks from the bottle.
(d) Pours himself a full glass.
7. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he hates?
(a) The unintelligent.
8. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(c) No one.
(d) A barmaid.
9. Where is Liza from?
(c) The writer's hometown.
10. What are Apollon's wages?
(a) 15 roubles.
(b) 25 roubles.
(c) 10 roubles.
(d) 7 roubles.
11. Why would the writer lower his eyes when he comes in contact with the office clerks?
(a) He feels ashamed.
(b) He feels they re superior to him.
(c) Out of respect.
(d) He finds them hideous.
12. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) He is ugly.
(b) He feels worthless.
(c) He is uneducated.
(d) Because of his vanity.
13. What effect does the writer's speech about Liza's life have on Liza?
(a) She realizes that her life has meaning.
(b) She become svery upset.
(c) She hates the writer.
(d) She knows she must change her life.
14. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she laughs at him.
(b) Because he lies to her.
(c) Because she is kind to him.
(d) Because she is a prostitute.
15. What is it about the writer's experience with Liza that astonishes him?
(a) His bruteforce.
(b) His sentimentality.
(c) His pity for her.
(d) His love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
3. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
4. What is Liza's profession?
5. As the writer goes on a tirade about his circumstances, what is Liza's reaction in this section?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)