|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the writer say about those in other countries with regard to romanticism?
(a) They are wasting their time.
(b) They are uneducated.
(c) They are lucky.
(d) They are fools.
2. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he hates?
(d) The unintelligent.
3. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Seclude himself.
(b) Commit crimes.
(c) Fall in love.
(d) Embrace people.
4. Despite what the writer wants to do during the dinner, what does he do?
(b) Enjoys the conversation.
(c) Begins an argument.
5. Who comes to the writer's home that causes these feelings?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 5, the writer has left the dinner and is outside. How does he describe the snow?
(a) Almost warm.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 8, who delivers the writer's letter?
(b) The writer.
8. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
(a) He visita a museum.
(b) He goes on an outing to the city.
(c) He visits the head of his department.
(d) He plays cards with co-workers.
9. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) Because of his vanity.
(b) He is ugly.
(c) He is uneducated.
(d) He feels worthless.
10. As the dinner proceeds, how is the writer feeling?
(a) A part of the group.
(d) Crushed and broken.
11. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
(a) They are profound.
(b) They are satisfing at the time.
(c) They are mysterious.
(d) They are frightening.
12. What does the writer state happens to stupid Russian romantics?
(a) They leave for France.
(b) They degenerate into Germans.
(c) They died off years ago.
(d) They are not true romantics.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 3 hours.
14. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
(a) 5 roubles.
(b) 15 roubles.
(c) 6 roubles.
(d) 10 roubles
15. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Buy them on the black market.
(b) Get a salary advance.
(c) Get to the bank before the duel.
(d) Sell some belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
2. What does the writer ask Apollon to get for him at the tavern?
3. The previous night, the writer gives Liza his address, but by the next day, how does the writer feel about this action?
4. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
5. What is the purpose of the dinner party?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)