|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
(a) 6 roubles.
(b) 5 roubles.
(c) 15 roubles.
(d) 10 roubles
2. How does the writer feel after leaving Liza?
3. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
(a) He is not truly poor.
(b) He is ashamed.
(c) He chooses this life.
(d) He is unashamed.
4. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) The others are talking and laughing.
(b) The establishment is closed.
(c) The others are gone.
(d) Only Zverkov remains.
5. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
(a) He loses his love.
(b) No one is like him.
(c) He despises working.
(d) He is just like everyone else.
6. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
(a) He is upset.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) For revenge.
(d) To show his power.
7. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
(a) He is ugly.
(b) Because of his vanity.
(c) He feels worthless.
(d) He is uneducated.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 3 months.
9. What is Liza's profession?
10. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
(a) A sight for sore eyes.
(b) A friend.
(c) A common housefly.
(d) Their competition.
11. After many days pass and Liza does not show up, the writer begins having dreams about her. What is the tone of these dreams?
(b) Love and happiness.
12. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
(a) 6:30 pm.
(b) 5:00 pm.
(c) 5:30 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
13. What does the writer want from Liza?
(a) For her to leave his home.
(b) For her to find an honorable profession.
(c) For her to love him.
(d) For her to disappear.
14. What is the writer certain Liza will do with a letter she receives?
(a) Frame it.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Preserve it forever.
(d) Send it back.
15. How does the writer describe Liza's embrace at the end of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
2. What does Zverkov say he would do if the peasants in his countries protested?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 9, the writer begins a speech about why he goes to see Liza. What does the writer say Liza's thought's for his visit are?
4. Who sits to the left of the writer at the dinner party?
5. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)