|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
(a) It is only a dream.
(b) They just happen.
(c) They have not yet happened.
(d) They happen in the past.
2. What does the writer write to Simonov as an excuse for his dinner behavior?
(a) His depression.
(b) The first glass of wine makes him drunk.
(c) He does not like the company.
(d) It is all a joke.
3. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he hates?
(c) The unintelligent.
4. What day does Anton allow visitors?
5. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
(a) They are mysterious.
(b) They are profound.
(c) They are frightening.
(d) They are satisfing at the time.
6. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
(a) No one is like him.
(b) He loses his love.
(c) He despises working.
(d) He is just like everyone else.
7. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
(a) 1:00 am.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 11:00 pm.
(d) 9:00 pm.
8. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
(a) They are always intelligent.
(b) They are wise men.
(c) They are uneducated.
(d) They are fools.
9. When the writer goes back to the dinner party after being outside, what does he find?
(a) The others are gone.
(b) Only Zverkov remains.
(c) The others are talking and laughing.
(d) The establishment is closed.
10. In what is Zverkov an expert?
(b) Good manners.
11. How old is the writer when he avoids talking to or associating with others?
(a) 32 years old.
(b) 40 years old.
(c) 24 years old.
(d) 29 years old.
12. What are Apollon's wages?
(a) 10 roubles.
(b) 25 roubles.
(c) 7 roubles.
(d) 15 roubles.
13. How does the writer describe the feelings of his visitor in Part 2, Chapter 9?
(a) In love.
14. How does the writer feel about the office clerks?
(a) He enjoys their conversations.
(b) He despises them all.
(d) He never gets to know them.
15. As the writer goes on a tirade about his circumstances, what is Liza's reaction in this section?
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the writer's speech about Liza's life have on Liza?
2. Why is the writer often dissatisfied with himself?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
4. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
5. What is the writer certain Liza will do with a letter she receives?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)