|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
(a) The writer's only regular acquaintance.
(b) The writer's neighbor.
(c) The writer's rival.
(d) The writer's brother.
2. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
(a) He will be fired.
(b) The writer would understand.
(c) The visitor will leave.
(d) The writer will be unhappy.
3. What does the writer say about trying to rationalize situations?
(a) It is useless.
(b) All men rationalize their lives.
(c) It is good for the mind.
(d) It provides accountability.
4. How does the writer "plunge into society"?
(a) He goes on an outing to the city.
(b) He plays cards with co-workers.
(c) He visits the head of his department.
(d) He visita a museum.
5. Just before the writer gets into the sleigh, what does he decide he must do?
(a) Give back the six roubles.
(b) Go back and slap Zverkov.
(c) Apologize to the group.
(d) Ask the fare.
6. As the dinner proceeds, how is the writer feeling?
(a) A part of the group.
(d) Crushed and broken.
7. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
(a) Big talk.
8. What does the writer say consumption is?
(a) A character flaw.
(b) A normal human condition.
(c) An illness.
(d) Pure evil.
9. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Seclude himself.
(b) Fall in love.
(c) Embrace people.
(d) Commit crimes.
10. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
(a) A cross.
(b) A love letter.
(c) His money back.
(d) A flower.
11. In Part 2, Chapter 8, who delivers the writer's letter?
(c) The writer.
12. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she is a prostitute.
(b) Because she is kind to him.
(c) Because he lies to her.
(d) Because she laughs at him.
13. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Get a salary advance.
(b) Get to the bank before the duel.
(c) Buy them on the black market.
(d) Sell some belongings.
14. Where is Liza from?
(a) The writer's hometown.
15. In Part 2, Chapter 9, the writer begins a speech about why he goes to see Liza. What does the writer say Liza's thought's for his visit are?
(a) To find love.
(b) To redeem himself.
(c) To take revenge.
(d) To save her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
2. What is it about the writer's experience with Liza that astonishes him?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
4. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, the writer arrives early to a dinner party. What time is the dinner scheduled to begin?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)