|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, a number of event happen to the writer, including going to a dinner party with old friends and meeting a prostitute. How does the writer feel about the events that happen that day?
(a) They have not yet happened.
(b) It is only a dream.
(c) They just happen.
(d) They happen in the past.
2. As the dinner proceeds, how is the writer feeling?
(a) Crushed and broken.
(d) A part of the group.
3. What do the writer's old schoolmates think about him?
(a) A common housefly.
(b) A friend.
(c) A sight for sore eyes.
(d) Their competition.
4. What does the writer say he would do if he sees Liza again?
(a) Ask her to marry him.
(b) Humiliate her.
(c) Tell her the truth about the evening they spent together.
(d) Ask for forgivness.
5. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
6. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) A barmaid.
(c) No one.
7. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
(a) He despises working.
(b) He is just like everyone else.
(c) No one is like him.
(d) He loses his love.
8. What is Liza's profession?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 8, upon waking up, what does the writer decide is the most important thing he must do?
(a) See Liza again.
(b) Save his reputation with Zverkov and Simonov.
(c) Find love for himself.
(d) Get back to work.
10. What does the writer say about trying to rationalize situations?
(a) It is good for the mind.
(b) It is useless.
(c) All men rationalize their lives.
(d) It provides accountability.
11. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
(a) 2:00 am.
(b) 1:00 am.
(c) 11:00 pm.
(d) 9:00 pm.
12. Who comes to the writer's home that causes these feelings?
13. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
(b) Shouts "Hurrah!" with the the others.
(c) Drinks before the toast is completed.
(d) Smashes his glass.
14. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she laughs at him.
(b) Because she is a prostitute.
(c) Because he lies to her.
(d) Because she is kind to him.
15. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
(a) He is upset.
(b) For revenge.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) To show his power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zverkov say he would do if the peasants in his countries protested?
2. What does the writer admit regarding his poverty?
3. How does the writer feel about being with Liza in this section?
4. How many days pass between the writer's first meeting with Liza and the second?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)