|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day after the dinner party, the writer goes for a walk. At what time does he return home?
(a) 1:00 am.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 11:00 pm.
(d) 9:00 pm.
2. What contrasting feelings does the writer have toward Liza after his breakdown?
3. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
(a) The writer's neighbor.
(b) The writer's rival.
(c) The writer's brother.
(d) The writer's only regular acquaintance.
4. What is Liza's profession?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 4, after the toasts, what does the writer do when he picks up the bottle?
(a) Drinks from the bottle.
(b) Pours himself a full glass.
(c) Throws the bottle at the wall.
(d) Throws the bottle at the others.
6. Who does the writer wake up next to at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) A barmaid.
(d) No one.
7. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
8. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
9. What does Liza give the writer just before he leavesher?
(a) His money back.
(b) A cross.
(c) A love letter.
(d) A flower.
10. How much does the writer owe Simonov in this section?
(a) 15 roubles.
(b) 5 roubles.
(c) 10 roubles
(d) 6 roubles.
11. What day does Anton allow visitors?
12. Who comes to the writer's home that causes these feelings?
13. After leaving his friend's home, how much does the writer pay for a cab ride?
(a) 100 copecks.
(b) 50 copecks.
(c) 25 copecks.
(d) 75 copecks.
14. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
(b) Smashes his glass.
(c) Drinks before the toast is completed.
(d) Shouts "Hurrah!" with the the others.
15. In Part 2, Liza visits the writer at his home. Upset by this, how does the writer say he would take revenge on his visitor?
(a) By killing the visitor.
(b) By kicking the visitor out.
(c) By not speaking.
(d) By forcing the visitor to listen to his meaningless ramblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the writer feel about being with Liza in this section?
2. What has the writer forgotten about when he wakesup after his night of drinking?
3. What does the writer say about Russian romantics?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 2, the writer discusses dreaming. How long does the writer dream in his corner?
5. In the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, the writer describes the chiming of the clock. What state of mind does he say he is in at that time?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)