|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the writer's dreams sometimes cause him to do?
(a) Embrace people.
(b) Fall in love.
(c) Seclude himself.
(d) Commit crimes.
2. What does the writer give as his reason for visiting Liza?
(a) For revenge.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) To show his power.
3. How does the writer describe his face?
(b) With a mean look.
4. What type of people does the writer state are the only type to go mad?
(a) Hateful men.
(b) Romantic men.
(c) Insipid, bloodless men.
(d) Stupid men.
5. Near the end of the dinner in Part 2, Chapter 4, during the writer's toast, what does he say he loves?
(b) Big talk.
6. Why does the writer say he hates Liza?
(a) Because she is a prostitute.
(b) Because she is kind to him.
(c) Because he lies to her.
(d) Because she laughs at him.
7. What does the writer want from Liza?
(a) For her to leave his home.
(b) For her to love him.
(c) For her to find an honorable profession.
(d) For her to disappear.
8. How does the writer feel about his dreams in this section?
(a) They are profound.
(b) They are frightening.
(c) They are satisfing at the time.
(d) They are mysterious.
9. At what time does the writer arrive at the diner party?
(a) 5:25 pm.
(b) 5:30 pm.
(c) 5:00 pm.
(d) 6:00 pm.
10. How do the others feel about the toast the writer gives at the end of the dinner party?
11. What does the writer say consumption is?
(a) A normal human condition.
(b) An illness.
(c) Pure evil.
(d) A character flaw.
12. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 9, what is the writer's general feeling?
13. What does the writer tell Apollon will happen if he does not appease his request?
(a) The visitor will leave.
(b) The writer would understand.
(c) The writer will be unhappy.
(d) He will be fired.
14. Who is Anton Atonych Setchkin?
(a) The writer's only regular acquaintance.
(b) The writer's rival.
(c) The writer's neighbor.
(d) The writer's brother.
15. What would the writer have to do to buy a pistol?
(a) Get a salary advance.
(b) Get to the bank before the duel.
(c) Buy them on the black market.
(d) Sell some belongings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Anton allow visitors?
2. What does the writer do during the toast to Zverkov?
3. During this time in the writer's life, he states that he is tormented. Why is he tormented?
4. After leaving his friend's home, how much does the writer pay for a cab ride?
5. What human condition does the writer state he cannot express?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)