|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sandy came home from work, how did he find Aunt Hager?
2. Hager was eulogized in the newspaper as how?
3. What had Tempy's employer left her as a token of her appreciation?
4. Hager dies and a large funeral is held with Tempy's high-class friends and who else?
5. Why had Tempy been embarrassed of Hager?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the other major event in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
2. How does Sandy feel about what Aunt Hager had taught him? Why does he feel this way?
3. How is Sandy's hotel job, as mentioned in "Hey, Boy!" bad?
4. Should Sandy have dumped Pansetta?
5. What did Tempy and Arkins think of their low-class backgrounds? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
6. How is the title, "The Doors of Life," significant?
7. What has happened to Hager in "Note to Harriett?" Why might the title be named after the note sent to Harriett?
8. What takes place in the Pool Hall? Why?
9. Why is Sandy to avoid lower-class women?
10. How does Sandy change when he begins to focus on his education? Is this good or bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sandy grows up a great deal in this story.
Part 1) Describe Sandy's development into manhood throughout this story. How do the other characters in this story, as well as events that take place, affect him? How does he influence others in this story?
Part 2) How do the other characters grow and change as well? How do these changes affect the dynamics between the characters throughout this book?
Part 3) How have you, your friends, and your family changed over the years? Why have these changes occurred? How have these changes affected your relationships? Overall, have these changes been good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Pool Hall is a popular place for black men to congregate.
Part 1) Describe the Pool Hall. Why is it so popular? What does it reveal about African American men? How do these men compare to their African American female counterparts? Analyze these differences.
Part 2) How do these men compare to white men in this culture? Are they similar? Are they different? Why? How do these men compare to men today? Would these men be any different if they were allowed more freedom and more choices of recreational activities? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you consider the behavior of these men bad? Why or why not? Should places like this exist today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Annjee is frequently upset by decisions her husband makes.
Part 1) Why is she frequently upset by Jimboy's decisions? Should she be upset? Why or why not? Should Jimboy change his decisions because of her unhappiness? Why or why not?
Part 2) How do these decision and Annjee's unhappiness with them affect their relationship? Are you surprised that he leaves her in Chicago? Why or why not? Do you see Jimboy as a bad guy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe that Hughes created Jimboy as a representation of the typical African American male at this time? If so, why? If not, what purpose does Jimboy serve?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)