|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hager and Annjee go?
2. Why does Annjee have to give up the money she was saving for Sandy's Christmas?
3. Tempy and her husband have done well financially and have stopped hanging around who?
4. In "Punishment", Sandy often received a nickel for what purpose?
5. When he reached school, the teacher did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
2. What does Annjee decide to do in "One by One?" Why does she decide to do this?
3. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
4. How does Hager show she is a determined woman in this chapter?
5. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
6. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
7. What did Sandy do with his collection plate money? Why did he do this?
8. How did Jimboy react to Sandy's lying? How did this affect Sandy? Why was he affected in this way?
9. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
10. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sandy is a good student.
Part 1) Describe Sandy's education throughout this book. Is it adequate? Why or why not? Should he have been placed in an integrated school, even though he was still segregated in many ways from his white classmates? Explain.
Part 2) Does segregation still exist today? Explain. Are all Americans given equal chances at receiving an adequate education today? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Sandy's education compare to your own? How does Sandy's view of education compare to your own? How does Aunt Hager's, Tempy's, Sandy's, and Harriet's view of education impact you? Do you put as much emphasis on getting a good education? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book suffer.
Part 1) Describe the suffering that takes place in this book. Why does it take place? How do the different characters deal with this suffering? What does this reveal about them? How are the characters affected by it? How does this suffering affect the plot of the story?
Part 2) Does such suffering exist today? If so, where and why? If not, why not? Describe a time when you have suffered. How did it affect you?
Part 3) How can suffering be beneficial? How do the characters in this story benefit from suffering? How has your own life benefited from suffering?
Essay Topic 3
Annjee is frequently upset by decisions her husband makes.
Part 1) Why is she frequently upset by Jimboy's decisions? Should she be upset? Why or why not? Should Jimboy change his decisions because of her unhappiness? Why or why not?
Part 2) How do these decision and Annjee's unhappiness with them affect their relationship? Are you surprised that he leaves her in Chicago? Why or why not? Do you see Jimboy as a bad guy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe that Hughes created Jimboy as a representation of the typical African American male at this time? If so, why? If not, what purpose does Jimboy serve?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)