|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annjee feel when Jimboy comes home and starts singing with Harriet?
2. In "School", the summer ends and Sandy has to go back to school to the ________ grade, which was integrated.
3. Who had Jimboy probably been trying to outdo?
4. Why does Annjee have to give up the money she was saving for Sandy's Christmas?
5. What does this woman think that Christianity makes black people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
2. Why do Tempy and her husband leave the Baptist church?
3. How do Hager and Sister Johnson view Jimboy, as compared to other men?
4. How does Hager show she is a determined woman in this chapter?
5. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
6. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
7. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
8. What happened to Crowville? Why did this happen?
9. Why is Jimboy returning home? Does Aunt Hager believe him? Why or why not?
10. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Punishment and consequences take place frequently in this book.
Part 1) Describe the punishments and consequences that take place in this book. Why do they take place? Are they effective? Why or why not? What do they reveal about the characters in the story? What do they reveal about the culture at the time?
Part 2) Do you agree with all of the punishments and consequences in this book? Why or why not? Would similar punishments and consequences exist today? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe a time when you have been punished. Do you believe this punishment was fair? Why or why not? How did this punishment affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Aunt Hager believes that the world only has room for love.
Part 1) Describe the situation in which Aunt Hager mentions this. Why does she believe the world has room for "nothing but love?" If the soul is ugly, how can the world only have room for love? Do you agree with Hager? Why or why not?
Part 2) How can the world make room only for love? Does this take place in the story? Is this thought reflected anywhere in the story? Explain.
Part 3) How is love seen in our world today? Do you believe it is possible for all races and cultures to love and respect each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A bout of the mumps changes Sandy's life.
Part 1) Describe this event in the book. Why is this period of Sandy's life so influential? Why had this not taken place before? Why does it have such a lasting effect on Sandy?
Part 2) What other events drastically change the characters in this story? Why are these events so powerful? How important are these events to the plot and outcome of the story?
Part 3) What event has occurred in your life that has had a lasting effect on you? How have you been affected by it? How might this one event change the course of your future?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)