|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sandy came down with what illness?
(b) The flu.
(c) The mumps.
(d) The measles.
2. In "Note to Harriett", Sandy is traveling to _____________ or the red-light district of Stanton.
(a) The Bottoms.
(b) The Shadows.
(c) The dark corner.
(d) The Lowlands.
3. Sandy was wondering more and more about sex and Tempy had given him a book about it called ______________ written by a white Presbyterian Minister from New England.
(a) The Pathway to Life.
(b) The Window to the World.
(c) The World of Love.
(d) The Doors of Life.
4. How do Sandy and his friends feel about how they are treated?
(b) Humiliated and hurt.
(c) Angry and outraged.
(d) Not surprised.
5. The story then flashes back _______ days when Sandy came home from work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sandy feel about moving in with Tempy?
2. Why had Tempy been embarrassed of Hager?
3. Tempy had worked for a progressive white women fighting for what?
4. Why is Harriet supposed to come home?
5. Buster made fun of Sandy for reading so much and dared him to come out and play pool rather than finishing up what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sandy to avoid lower-class women?
2. How did Sandy benefit from having the mumps?
3. How did reading affect Sandy? Is this good? Why or why not?
4. What did Tempy and Arkins think of their low-class backgrounds? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
5. Should Sandy have dumped Pansetta?
6. What was the worst incident Sandy had to deal with at the hotel?
7. How has Harriett changed since she left home for the last time?
8. What is the first major event in "Ten Dollars and Costs?" How might this be both a good and bad job?
9. How does the reader learn Hager's importance in the community?
10. What does Sandy get from working in a barber shop?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)