|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Harriett appears on stage, what does she do?
(a) She panics.
(b) She is booed off the stage.
(c) She blows the crowd away.
(d) She tells jokes.
2. When Sandy asked himself whether a black person should simply endure oppression and wait for heaven like Aunt Hager did, what was his response?
(a) Sandy decided that he wanted to live.
(b) Sandy was still not sure.
(c) Sandy decided he wanted to wait for heaven.
(d) Sandy decided he wanted to endure only some oppression.
3. Tempy had worked for a progressive white women fighting for what?
(a) Women's suffrage.
(b) Organizations against animal cruelty.
(c) Equal rights for all races.
(d) Peace in the Middle East.
4. What did Sandy win?
(a) A tennis match.
(b) A spelling bee.
(c) The freshman essay contest.
(d) A wrestling tournament.
5. Sandy is--somewhat unofficially--dating who?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Note to Harriett", Sandy is traveling to _____________ or the red-light district of Stanton.
2. Harriet says that __________________, black people cannot let brains go to waste.
3. Sandy came down with what illness?
4. Why does Annjee say she needs Sandy's help?
5. Sandy resolves not to let who down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hager's funeral.
2. How does Sandy come to the decision to get his education? How does this change his mind?
3. How did Tempy change her life?
4. Why is Sandy to avoid lower-class women?
5. How does Sandy feel about what Aunt Hager had taught him? Why does he feel this way?
6. What does Hager have to say about the soul and the world?
7. How did Sandy benefit from having the mumps?
8. Why does Tempy help out with the war effort?
9. What does Sandy get from working in a barber shop?
10. How is Sandy's hotel job, as mentioned in "Hey, Boy!" bad?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)