|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Pool Hall in the summer was lively and full of black people. Why?
(a) There were not many Pool Halls in town.
(b) The Pool Hall was the most popular place.
(c) The Pool Hall had a very low entrance fee.
(d) They were not allowed to go to many other recreational areas.
2. How did Miss Jeanne die?
(a) From influenza.
(b) She walked off her balcony thinking her husband had come home.
(c) From old age.
(d) She had a heart attack.
3. Sandy goes to work during the winter and overhears many stories and meets many people, learning to do what?
(a) Check coats and talk to strangers.
(b) Wash and cut hair.
(c) Make jokes and shine shoes.
(d) How to make friends.
4. Hager dies and a large funeral is held with Tempy's high-class friends and who else?
(a) The neighbors.
(b) Hager's friends.
(c) Harriett's friends from the Bottoms.
(d) The family.
5. Tempy and Arkins believed that to get respect, one had to do what?
(a) Act, dress, eat, and earn money as white people did.
(b) Be educated.
(c) Bleach their skin lighter.
(d) Leave the ghetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harriet says that __________________, black people cannot let brains go to waste.
2. Annjee and Sandy reached the "_________ belt" of the city.
3. Why was Tempy sad to see Sandy go?
4. Why did Sandy want to get away from Tempy?
5. Tempy sent Sandy to wire Annjee to let her know that Hager was sick. Why did the news not reach Annjee at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first major event in "Ten Dollars and Costs?" How might this be both a good and bad job?
2. Of what does this first chapter largely consist?
3. How does Hager support her beliefs regarding slavery?
4. How does the reader learn Hager's importance in the community?
5. Was Sandy's first view of Chicago what he expected? Should he have expected this? Why or why not?
6. Should Sandy have dumped Pansetta?
7. In "Children's Day," how does inequality even affect African American children?
8. What is the other major event in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
9. What was the worst incident Sandy had to deal with at the hotel?
10. How has Harriett changed since she left home for the last time?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)