|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tempy learn to do like this woman?
2. Annjee said that she had found Sandy a job working as what at a Chicago hotel?
(a) A shoe-shine.
(b) An assistant manager.
(c) A coat-checker.
(d) A bell-hop.
3. Harriet says that __________________, black people cannot let brains go to waste.
(a) In a world full of hatred and greed.
(b) With all the problems in the world.
(c) With the intelligence found in the black community.
(d) In a white man's world.
4. What happened to Jimboy's guitar?
(a) It is broken.
(b) It was stolen.
(c) It had to be sold.
(d) It was sold to buy a better guitar.
5. At the hotel, Sandy is largely responsible for what?
(a) Cleaning the bathrooms and hallways.
(b) Greeting the guests and answering their questions.
(c) Shoe shines and keeping the five hotel spittoons clean.
(d) Hanging up coats and organizing cleaning supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. World War I has started and Tempy is helping out. Why?
2. Sandy receives a note from his mother saying that she and Jimboy are ___________.
3. What is the first thing Tempy gives Sandy?
4. How did Sandy feel about moving in with Tempy?
5. Eventually who came over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the other major event in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
2. What was the worst incident Sandy had to deal with at the hotel?
3. How does the reader learn Hager's importance in the community?
4. Why is Sandy to avoid lower-class women?
5. What does Sandy get from working in a barber shop?
6. What did Tempy and Arkins think of their low-class backgrounds? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
7. What has happened to Hager in "Note to Harriett?" Why might the title be named after the note sent to Harriett?
8. Why does Sandy want to move to Chicago?
9. How did reading affect Sandy? Is this good? Why or why not?
10. Should Sandy have dumped Pansetta?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)