|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Tempy been embarrassed of Hager?
(a) Because she attended a black church.
(b) Because she was not educated.
(c) Because she had an accent.
(d) Because she wore an apron wherever she went.
2. Sandy is--somewhat unofficially--dating who?
3. When Hager grew up, the plantation owner, Mr. Jeanne, left for what and died?
(a) The War of 1812.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Spanish American War.
(d) World War I.
4. Why does Hager not want Sandy to work at a hotel?
(a) She thinks that bad things go on at hotels.
(b) Hotels do not pay well.
(c) He is smarter than most people who work at hotels.
(d) Sandy will have to work late hours.
5. Sandy resolves not to let who down?
(d) Aunt Hager.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it surprising to find Aunt Hager this way?
2. What happens when Sandy quits his job?
3. In "Note to Harriett", Sandy is traveling to _____________ or the red-light district of Stanton.
4. What does Hager tell Sandy about slavery?
5. To popularize the carnival, the carnival owners place coupons in the paper; if children bring them for "children's day" they can get what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tempy change her life?
2. How did Sandy benefit from having the mumps?
3. How does Hager react to the unfair treatment of Sandy and his friends? Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. What does Sandy get from working in a barber shop?
5. How does Sandy's life change after Hager's death?
6. How does Sandy come to the decision to get his education? How does this change his mind?
7. How has Harriett changed since she left home for the last time?
8. Why does Sandy want to move to Chicago?
9. How did reading affect Sandy? Is this good? Why or why not?
10. How is Sandy's hotel job, as mentioned in "Hey, Boy!" bad?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)