Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Harriet and Jimboy go?
(a) To neither the carnival nor the revival.
(b) To both the carnival and the revival.
(c) To the carnival.
(d) To the revival.
2. Where did Hager and Annjee go?
(a) To both the revival and the carnival.
(b) To the carnival.
(c) To neither the carnival nor the revival.
(d) To the revival.
3. Why does Hager pick up extra laundry washing?
(a) To buy Sandy's new school books.
(b) To keep the family financially afloat.
(c) She wants more spending money.
(d) She enjoys the work.
4. How did the white men feel about working alongside a black man?
(a) They were afraid.
(b) They were unhappy about working alongside a black man.
(c) They refused to work alongside a black man.
(d) They did not mind working alongside a black man.
5. Sandy noticed that his reader showed black Africans as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns home?
2. "Carnival" begins with Hager and her family splitting up, with some going to the revival and some going to the carnival _____ mile down the road.
3. How does Sandy feel about Tempy's gift?
4. "Storm" introduces Aunt Hager and her grandson Sandy preparing for ________________ that is hitting their neighborhood.
5. What did Sandy find out when he returned home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jimboy react to Sandy's lying? How did this affect Sandy? Why was he affected in this way?
2. Why does Sandy want to move to Chicago?
3. How does the reader learn Hager's importance in the community?
4. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
5. How does Sandy feel about what Aunt Hager had taught him? Why does he feel this way?
6. How did Tempy change her life?
7. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
8. Why did many black people have to leave Stanton?
9. What is the other major event in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
10. Why is Jimboy returning home? Does Aunt Hager believe him? Why or why not?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)