|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had Jimboy probably been trying to outdo?
(a) The Swedes.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Germans.
2. What does Sandy do with his gift from Tempy?
(a) He tries it out.
(b) He stares at it in awe.
(c) He throws it under the stove.
(d) He hugs it.
3. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she has changed much.
(b) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(c) If she wants to be home.
(d) Where she has been.
4. When they get home, Annjee was happy to have the evening. Why?
(a) Since black people had to give their day "to white folks".
(b) Since she had to stay away from her family all day.
(c) Since she works all day.
(d) Since she was so tired.
5. Towards the end of the year, Annjee recovers, and they receive a letter from Harriet asking for what?
(a) A visit from them.
(b) Their support in her new music career.
(c) Fare to travel to Hollywood.
(d) Fare to come home from Memphis, Tennessee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Afterwards, they had to buy their books and Sandy looked forward to coming home and doing what?
2. What does this woman think that Christianity makes black people?
3. How long has it been since Annjee's husband, Jimboy, has written?
4. Who returns home?
5. Why did this woman decide to quit her job as a waitress?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sandy and Annjee feel about Jimboy's disappearance? Why do they feel this way?
2. What is the purpose of "White Folks?"
3. What happened to Crowville? Why did this happen?
4. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
5. How did Jimboy react to Sandy's lying? How did this affect Sandy? Why was he affected in this way?
6. Why did many black people have to leave Stanton?
7. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
8. Why do Tempy and her husband leave the Baptist church?
9. How is this a sad Christmas?
10. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)