|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Would Harriett's white girlfriends talk to her after school?
(b) Yes, usually.
(c) Yes, but rarely.
(d) Yes, sometimes.
2. At the beginning of the story, what is Aunt Hager desperately trying to do?
(a) Get Sandy and herself into a boat.
(b) Get Sandy and herself into her cellar and get the door shut.
(c) Get Sandy and herself into a closet.
(d) Get Sandy and herself into an ambulance.
3. He knew that Jesus was white but what had he learned?
(a) God is no race.
(b) Jesus only loved white people.
(c) God loves everyone.
(d) There was no Jesus.
4. On Thursday afternoon, who comes home to visit?
(a) Hager's friend Sister Johnson.
(b) Hager's youngest daughter Harriet.
(c) Hager's middle daughter Annjee.
(d) Hager's oldest daughter Tempy.
5. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
(a) He called the police.
(b) He did nothing.
(c) He shot him in the shoulder and drove off.
(d) He killed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. That night the white people came in, evicted the blacks of this town and did what?
2. How did the white men feel about working alongside a black man?
3. After some greeting, Harriet goes off to stay with _____________, who she says she'll be living with.
4. When they get home, Annjee was happy to have the evening. Why?
5. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sandy come to the decision to get his education? How does this change his mind?
2. What did Sandy do with his collection plate money? Why did he do this?
3. How does Sandy's life change after Hager's death?
4. What does Sandy get from working in a barber shop?
5. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
6. How is this a sad Christmas?
7. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
8. What did Tempy and Arkins think of their low-class backgrounds? Should they feel this way? Why or why not?
9. How did Sandy benefit from having the mumps?
10. How did Tempy change her life?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)