|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hager asks her how Tempy likes her church. What is her response?
(a) It is very different and strange.
(b) There is nothing "niggerish" about the church at all.
(c) It is very quiet.
(d) It is no different than the Baptist church.
2. How does Sandy feel about Tempy's gift?
(a) He is disappointed.
(b) He is annoyed.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He is happy.
3. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
(a) On the bus.
(b) In the cafeteria.
(c) With her white classmates.
(d) In the classroom.
4. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she wants to be home.
(b) If she has changed much.
(c) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(d) Where she has been.
5. What does Jimboy eventually do?
(a) He puts down the guitar and sets her on his lap and eats.
(b) He goes to bed.
(c) He notices Annjee.
(d) He leaves again.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Stanton, why was there almost no work for black people?
2. After some greeting, Harriet goes off to stay with _____________, who she says she'll be living with.
3. It was late March and Annjee decided that she was going to save up her money and do what?
4. Why is Jimboy not working that day?
5. That night the white people came in, evicted the blacks of this town and did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is this a sad Christmas?
2. What happened to Crowville? Why did this happen?
3. How does Annjee react when Jimboy comes home and ignores her and her cooking? Should she react this way? Why or why not?
4. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
5. Why is Jimboy returning home? Does Aunt Hager believe him? Why or why not?
6. What did Sandy do with his collection plate money? Why did he do this?
7. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
8. Why do Tempy and her husband leave the Baptist church?
9. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
10. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)