|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Storm" introduces Aunt Hager and her grandson Sandy preparing for ________________ that is hitting their neighborhood.
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A cyclone.
(c) A truck.
(d) A flood.
2. When they get home, Annjee was happy to have the evening. Why?
(a) Since she had to stay away from her family all day.
(b) Since she was so tired.
(c) Since black people had to give their day "to white folks".
(d) Since she works all day.
3. Why was Jimboy fired?
(a) He was often out of work due to illness.
(b) The white union members complained.
(c) He was disrespectful.
(d) He habitually showed up late to work.
4. Harriet doesn't want to follow what as Hager demands that she do?
(b) The laws.
(c) White rules.
(d) Cultural rules.
5. Why did many of the elder townspeople die?
(a) From a cholera epidemic.
(b) The winter was very cold.
(c) From a flu epidemic.
(d) From pneumonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sandy noticed that his reader showed black Africans as what?
2. What did Sandy eventually do at the dance?
3. What does Aunt Hager think of Jimboy?
4. Jimboy sings many songs that he has learned from where?
5. Who are Hager's three daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annjee decide to do in "One by One?" Why does she decide to do this?
2. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
3. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
4. What is learned about Jimboy and Sandy's relationship from their time fishing together?
5. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
6. What are Hager's religious beliefs? What does Harriet think about these beliefs?
7. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
8. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
9. How do Hager and Sister Johnson view Jimboy, as compared to other men?
10. What is the purpose of "White Folks?"
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)