|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(b) If she has changed much.
(c) Where she has been.
(d) If she wants to be home.
2. Towards the end of the year, Annjee recovers, and they receive a letter from Harriet asking for what?
(a) Their support in her new music career.
(b) Fare to come home from Memphis, Tennessee.
(c) A visit from them.
(d) Fare to travel to Hollywood.
3. Who are Hager's three daughters?
(a) Tempy, Sandy, and Harriett.
(b) Tempy, Annjee and Sandy.
(c) Tempy, Annjee and Harriett.
(d) Sandy, Annjee, and Harriett.
4. Why was Jimboy fired?
(a) He was often out of work due to illness.
(b) The white union members complained.
(c) He habitually showed up late to work.
(d) He was disrespectful.
5. What did Aunt Hager think of Jimboy's letter?
(a) He was very sick.
(b) He was lying and never did any work.
(c) He was never coming home.
(d) He was teasing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Aunt Hager going to do to punish Sandy?
2. Where is Jimboy working?
3. Why does Hager pick up extra laundry washing?
4. On Thursday afternoon, who comes home to visit?
5. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sandy change when he begins to focus on his education? Is this good or bad?
2. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
3. How does Sandy's life change after Hager's death?
4. How did Jimboy react to Sandy's lying? How did this affect Sandy? Why was he affected in this way?
5. What is the first major event in "Ten Dollars and Costs?" How might this be both a good and bad job?
6. Why do Tempy and her husband leave the Baptist church?
7. Why is Sandy to avoid lower-class women?
8. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
9. Should Sandy have dumped Pansetta?
10. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)