|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aunt Hager argued that they shouldn't hate white people but do what?
(a) Fear them.
(b) Take care of them.
(c) Pray for them.
(d) Do what they ask.
2. Harriet had been on bad terms with Aunt Hager. Why?
(a) Because Hager often ignored her.
(b) Because Hager had whipped her after the dance.
(c) Because Hager was mean.
(d) Because Hager forced her to do things she did not want to do.
3. In "Punishment", Sandy often received a nickel for what purpose?
(a) To spend on whatever he would like.
(b) To put in the collection plate at church.
(c) To purchase school books.
(d) To buy birthday presents.
4. "Conversation" records a conversation between Aunt Hager and who else?
(a) Sister Johnson.
(b) Sister Whiteside.
5. Who had Jimboy probably been trying to outdo?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Swedes.
(d) The Italians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Harriet do that night when she came home late?
2. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
3. Sandy noticed that his reader showed black Africans as what?
4. Where is Jimboy working?
5. Why were Aunt Hager's services needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
2. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
3. How do Sandy and Annjee feel about Jimboy's disappearance? Why do they feel this way?
4. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
5. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
6. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
7. How is this a sad Christmas?
8. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
9. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
10. How does Annjee react when Jimboy comes home and ignores her and her cooking? Should she react this way? Why or why not?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)