|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. That day Sandy almost won what?
(a) A piece of candy.
(b) A race.
(c) The spelling bee.
(d) A singing contest.
2. What does this woman think of Jesus?
(a) Rich and white.
(b) Stiff and white.
(c) Powerful and black.
(d) Righteous and black.
3. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
(a) In the classroom.
(b) With her white classmates.
(c) In the cafeteria.
(d) On the bus.
4. Harriet had been on bad terms with Aunt Hager. Why?
(a) Because Hager often ignored her.
(b) Because Hager was mean.
(c) Because Hager had whipped her after the dance.
(d) Because Hager forced her to do things she did not want to do.
5. Hager is determined to get Sandy through high school and make him into what?
(a) "The next Booker T. Washington".
(b) "The first black President of the United States."
(c) "The next W.E.B. du Bois."
(d) "The next black scientist."
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Annjee's husband, Jimboy, has written?
2. Who had Jimboy probably been trying to outdo?
3. "Storm" introduces Aunt Hager and her grandson Sandy preparing for ________________ that is hitting their neighborhood.
4. Hager, Annjee and Sandy are very poor, so poor that they can't afford what?
5. In "School", the summer ends and Sandy has to go back to school to the ________ grade, which was integrated.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hager's religious beliefs? What does Harriet think about these beliefs?
2. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
3. Describe the relationship between Harriet and Hager.
4. How does Aunt Hager react to Harriet and Sandy going to a dance? Why does she react this way?
5. What does Annjee decide to do in "One by One?" Why does she decide to do this?
6. How does Hager show she is a determined woman in this chapter?
7. How is this a sad Christmas?
8. How do Hager and Sister Johnson view Jimboy, as compared to other men?
9. What did Sandy do with his collection plate money? Why did he do this?
10. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)