|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sandy and Buster do with their money?
(a) They bought school books.
(b) They bought candy.
(c) They bought comic books.
(d) They put it in the church collection plate.
2. How does Annjee feel when Jimboy comes home and starts singing with Harriet?
(a) She feels happy.
(b) She feels hurt.
(c) She feels anxious.
(d) She feels relieved.
3. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she has changed much.
(b) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(c) If she wants to be home.
(d) Where she has been.
4. How does everyone feel when Tempy leaves?
5. When the storm passes, what has Aunt Hager lost?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her house is gone.
(d) Her entire town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
2. What does Sandy do with his gift from Tempy?
3. Why does Annjee have to give up the money she was saving for Sandy's Christmas?
4. What happened to Sandy at the carnival?
5. Old Sister Johnson had lived through slavery, and after being freed, she and a large number of other blacks started up a town called _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
2. What is learned about Jimboy and Sandy's relationship from their time fishing together?
3. What are Hager's religious beliefs? What does Harriet think about these beliefs?
4. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
5. How do Sandy and Annjee feel about Jimboy's disappearance? Why do they feel this way?
6. Summarize "Storm."
7. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
8. How is it revealed in this chapter that class structure and race is important to the people of Stanton?
9. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
10. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)