|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
(a) With her white classmates.
(b) In the cafeteria.
(c) In the classroom.
(d) On the bus.
2. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
(a) She would not have to talk to anyone.
(b) The job was easy.
(c) The job had flexible hours.
(d) She would make good money.
3. Sandy saw that his mother worked very hard and that Mrs. Rice, the blond, skinny white woman, was constantly doing what?
(a) Entertaining Anjee.
(b) Helping Annjee.
(c) Criticizing Annjee.
(d) Ignoring Annjee.
4. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
5. In "One by One", Annjee finally receives what?
(a) Word from Jimboy.
(b) Money from Jimboy.
(c) A present from Jimboy.
(d) An e-mail from Jimboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this woman think of Jesus?
2. What did Sandy eventually do at the dance?
3. While Aunt Hager was gone, who showed up and asked Harriet to come to a dance with him?
4. Why is Jimboy not working that day?
5. The white people near the area were furious at these blacks. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
2. How do Sandy and Annjee feel about Jimboy's disappearance? Why do they feel this way?
3. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
4. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
5. What are Hager's religious beliefs? What does Harriet think about these beliefs?
6. Why is Jimboy returning home? Does Aunt Hager believe him? Why or why not?
7. How is this a sad Christmas?
8. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
9. How do Hager and Sister Johnson view Jimboy, as compared to other men?
10. What did Sandy do with his collection plate money? Why did he do this?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)