|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hager pick up extra laundry washing?
(a) She enjoys the work.
(b) She wants more spending money.
(c) To keep the family financially afloat.
(d) To buy Sandy's new school books.
2. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
(a) He killed him.
(b) He did nothing.
(c) He called the police.
(d) He shot him in the shoulder and drove off.
3. Who are Hager's three daughters?
(a) Sandy, Annjee, and Harriett.
(b) Tempy, Sandy, and Harriett.
(c) Tempy, Annjee and Harriett.
(d) Tempy, Annjee and Sandy.
4. Why did many of the elder townspeople die?
(a) The winter was very cold.
(b) From pneumonia.
(c) From a flu epidemic.
(d) From a cholera epidemic.
5. Why does Annjee have to give up the money she was saving for Sandy's Christmas?
(a) To pay the electric bill.
(b) To buy food.
(c) To pay for Annjee's medicine.
(d) To mail to Harriet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jimboy working?
2. Hager, Annjee and Sandy are very poor, so poor that they can't afford what?
3. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
4. Where did Hager and Annjee go?
5. Harriet had been on bad terms with Aunt Hager. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did many black people have to leave Stanton?
2. What happened to Crowville? Why did this happen?
3. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
4. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
5. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
6. What is the purpose of "White Folks?"
7. What does Annjee decide to do in "One by One?" Why does she decide to do this?
8. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
9. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
10. How does Hager show she is a determined woman in this chapter?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)