|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she wants to be home.
(b) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(c) If she has changed much.
(d) Where she has been.
2. What did Harriet do that night when she came home late?
(a) She packed her bags and caught the next train to New York City.
(b) She packed her bags and moved in with her boyfriend.
(c) She wrote a nasty note to Aunt Hager.
(d) She packed her bags and ran off with the circus.
3. Sandy noticed that his reader showed black Africans as what?
4. The white people near the area were furious at these blacks. Why?
(a) For stealing land.
(b) For taking white jobs.
(c) For buying white property.
(d) For acting white.
5. For ________ years she worked hard to support her family and to see Jimboy only a few weeks a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tempy give Sandy for Christmas?
2. Sandy wonders if he could ever be __________ and whether the Lord even cared if someone was black or white, or male or female.
3. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
4. That day Sandy almost won what?
5. Why is Jimboy not working that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hager and Sister Johnson view Jimboy, as compared to other men?
2. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
3. Summarize "Storm."
4. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
5. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
6. How does Hager show she is a determined woman in this chapter?
7. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
8. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
9. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
10. Why is Jimboy returning home? Does Aunt Hager believe him? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)