|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sandy do with his gift from Tempy?
(a) He hugs it.
(b) He stares at it in awe.
(c) He throws it under the stove.
(d) He tries it out.
2. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
(a) They have converted to Catholicism.
(b) They are no longer Christians.
(c) They do not like the new minister.
(d) To join the white Episcopalian church.
3. He knew that Jesus was white but what had he learned?
(a) God loves everyone.
(b) There was no Jesus.
(c) Jesus only loved white people.
(d) God is no race.
4. Would Harriett's white girlfriends talk to her after school?
(a) Yes, sometimes.
(b) Yes, but rarely.
(c) Yes, usually.
5. Why does Annjee have to give up the money she was saving for Sandy's Christmas?
(a) To buy food.
(b) To pay for Annjee's medicine.
(c) To mail to Harriet.
(d) To pay the electric bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jimboy working?
2. What did Sandy find out when he returned home?
3. In "Guitar", Jimboy has come home and is doing what?
4. Where did Harriet and Jimboy go?
5. Who are Hager's three daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aunt Hager react to Harriet and Sandy going to a dance? Why does she react this way?
2. What does Hager have to say about the soul and the world?
3. Summarize "Storm."
4. What has happened to Hager in "Note to Harriett?" Why might the title be named after the note sent to Harriett?
5. In "Children's Day," how does inequality even affect African American children?
6. How is the title, "The Doors of Life," significant?
7. How did reading affect Sandy? Is this good? Why or why not?
8. What is learned about Jimboy and Sandy's relationship from their time fishing together?
9. How does Sandy's life change after Hager's death?
10. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)