|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did this woman decide to quit her job as a waitress?
(a) Because she had plans to go back to school.
(b) Because white men harassed her too much and asked her to sleep with them.
(c) Because her boss treated her badly.
(d) Because the job did not pay well.
2. What did Sandy eventually do at the dance?
(a) He watched the others dance.
(b) He fell asleep.
(c) He watched the musicians.
(d) He danced with girls.
3. "Storm" introduces Aunt Hager and her grandson Sandy preparing for ________________ that is hitting their neighborhood.
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A cyclone.
(c) A truck.
(d) A flood.
4. Sandy noticed that his reader showed black Africans as what?
5. Would Harriett's white girlfriends talk to her after school?
(a) Yes, sometimes.
(b) Yes, usually.
(d) Yes, but rarely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
2. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
3. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
4. Why does Hager pick up extra laundry washing?
5. A man could work in Stanton his whole life without saving enough money to retire and leave something behind. To whom had this happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
2. What is learned about Jimboy and Sandy's relationship from their time fishing together?
3. How is Annjee treated by her employer? Do you believe this is unusual behavior for an employer at this time? Why or why not?
4. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
5. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
6. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
7. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
8. Summarize "Storm."
9. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
10. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)