|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when the three returned home?
(a) They found Aunt Hager crying at the kitchen table.
(b) Aunt Hager was waiting for them with a bundle of switches at her feet.
(c) They found out half the neighborhood was out searching for them.
(d) They woke up the dog.
2. How does Sandy react to Mrs. Rice's treatment of his mother?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He complains.
(c) He jokes.
(d) He cries.
3. What does Jimboy eventually do?
(a) He goes to bed.
(b) He puts down the guitar and sets her on his lap and eats.
(c) He notices Annjee.
(d) He leaves again.
4. He knew that Jesus was white but what had he learned?
(a) God is no race.
(b) Jesus only loved white people.
(c) God loves everyone.
(d) There was no Jesus.
5. In "One by One", Annjee finally receives what?
(a) Money from Jimboy.
(b) Word from Jimboy.
(c) An e-mail from Jimboy.
(d) A present from Jimboy.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Hard Winter" takes the family from September to _______________.
2. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
3. "Storm" introduces Aunt Hager and her grandson Sandy preparing for ________________ that is hitting their neighborhood.
4. How did Jimboy punish him?
5. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sandy come to the decision to get his education? How does this change his mind?
2. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
3. How does Hager react to the unfair treatment of Sandy and his friends? Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. How is the title, "The Doors of Life," significant?
5. Describe Hager's funeral.
6. Why does Sandy want to move to Chicago?
7. Why did many black people have to leave Stanton?
8. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
9. How is Sandy's hotel job, as mentioned in "Hey, Boy!" bad?
10. Describe the relationship between Harriet and Hager.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)