|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annjee have to give up the money she was saving for Sandy's Christmas?
(a) To mail to Harriet.
(b) To pay for Annjee's medicine.
(c) To buy food.
(d) To pay the electric bill.
2. In "Jimboy's Letter", AnnJee receives a note from Jimboy saying what?
(a) He'd been laying railroad in Kansas City and had hurt his back so he was coming home.
(b) He'd found a good job and wanted her to join him.
(c) He'd been working in a warehouse in Chicago and had been promoted to manager.
(d) He'd remarried.
3. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
4. What does this woman think of Jesus?
(a) Powerful and black.
(b) Rich and white.
(c) Stiff and white.
(d) Righteous and black.
5. Why does Annjee believe Jimboy married her?
(a) Because she was a homebody and would take care of a house.
(b) Because he wanted to get married and start a family.
(c) Because she was pregnant with their child.
(d) Because he loved her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Hager argued that they shouldn't hate white people but do what?
2. How does everyone feel when Tempy leaves?
3. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
4. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
5. A man could work in Stanton his whole life without saving enough money to retire and leave something behind. To whom had this happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
2. What is the other major event in this chapter? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
3. What happened to Crowville? Why did this happen?
4. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
5. How is this a sad Christmas?
6. In "Children's Day," how does inequality even affect African American children?
7. How did Tempy change her life?
8. How does Hager react to the unfair treatment of Sandy and his friends? Do you agree? Why or why not?
9. Of what does this first chapter largely consist?
10. What does Hager have to say about the soul and the world?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)