|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(b) If she has changed much.
(c) Where she has been.
(d) If she wants to be home.
2. How does Sandy react to Mrs. Rice's treatment of his mother?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He jokes.
(c) He cries.
(d) He complains.
3. "Conversation" records a conversation between Aunt Hager and who else?
(b) Sister Whiteside.
(c) Sister Johnson.
4. What did Harriet do that night when she came home late?
(a) She wrote a nasty note to Aunt Hager.
(b) She packed her bags and moved in with her boyfriend.
(c) She packed her bags and ran off with the circus.
(d) She packed her bags and caught the next train to New York City.
5. What does this woman think that Christianity makes black people?
(a) Scared and powerless.
(b) Stuck up and unable to have fun.
(c) Ignorant and weak.
(d) Powerful and confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Guitar", Jimboy has come home and is doing what?
2. Who are Hager's three daughters?
3. What happened when the three returned home?
4. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
5. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet run off with the circus?
2. What happened to Crowville? Why did this happen?
3. How did Jimboy react to Sandy's lying? How did this affect Sandy? Why was he affected in this way?
4. Describe the relationship between Harriet and Hager.
5. What does Annjee decide to do in "One by One?" Why does she decide to do this?
6. What is learned about Jimboy and Sandy's relationship from their time fishing together?
7. What are Hager's religious beliefs? What does Harriet think about these beliefs?
8. How do Sandy and Annjee feel about Jimboy's disappearance? Why do they feel this way?
9. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
10. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)