|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sandy react to Mrs. Rice's treatment of his mother?
(a) He jokes.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He complains.
(d) He cries.
2. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
(a) She would make good money.
(b) The job was easy.
(c) The job had flexible hours.
(d) She would not have to talk to anyone.
3. How did the white men feel about working alongside a black man?
(a) They were unhappy about working alongside a black man.
(b) They refused to work alongside a black man.
(c) They were afraid.
(d) They did not mind working alongside a black man.
4. Why does Hager pick up extra laundry washing?
(a) She enjoys the work.
(b) To buy Sandy's new school books.
(c) To keep the family financially afloat.
(d) She wants more spending money.
5. Why did many of the elder townspeople die?
(a) From a cholera epidemic.
(b) From pneumonia.
(c) The winter was very cold.
(d) From a flu epidemic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
2. What was Aunt Hager going to do to punish Sandy?
3. What happened to the Gavitts?
4. Sandy had to run off and help his mother, who was ___________ at the Rice's, a rich white family.
5. Sandy saw that his mother worked very hard and that Mrs. Rice, the blond, skinny white woman, was constantly doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sandy and Annjee feel about Jimboy's disappearance? Why do they feel this way?
2. How does the reader know that Harriet has lived a difficult life since she left home?
3. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
4. How does Hager show she is a determined woman in this chapter?
5. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
6. What does Sandy think about Jesus? How has he come to this conclusion?
7. How does Aunt Hager react to Harriet and Sandy going to a dance? Why does she react this way?
8. How does Annjee defend her decision to go to Detroit?
9. What does Jimboy do when he comes home in "Guitar?" Why might he do this?
10. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)