|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she has changed much.
(b) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(c) Where she has been.
(d) If she wants to be home.
2. In "Jimboy's Letter", AnnJee receives a note from Jimboy saying what?
(a) He'd found a good job and wanted her to join him.
(b) He'd been working in a warehouse in Chicago and had been promoted to manager.
(c) He'd been laying railroad in Kansas City and had hurt his back so he was coming home.
(d) He'd remarried.
3. What does Aunt Hager think of Jimboy?
(a) He is worthless.
(b) He is entertaining.
(c) He is kind.
(d) He is intelligent.
4. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
(a) She would not have to talk to anyone.
(b) The job was easy.
(c) The job had flexible hours.
(d) She would make good money.
5. When the storm passes, what has Aunt Hager lost?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her entire town.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her house is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
2. In "Punishment", Sandy often received a nickel for what purpose?
3. Sandy wonders if he could ever be __________ and whether the Lord even cared if someone was black or white, or male or female.
4. He knew that Jesus was white but what had he learned?
5. Where is Jimboy working?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Harriet and Hager.
2. How did Hager believe the blacks should deal with white oppression? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
3. What is learned about Jimboy and Sandy's relationship from their time fishing together?
4. What takes place at the same time during "Carnival?" Why is this significant?
5. How did Jimboy react to Sandy's lying? How did this affect Sandy? Why was he affected in this way?
6. How does Aunt Hager help others during and after the storm?
7. How does Sandy react to Tempy's gift? Why does he react this way?
8. What is the purpose of "White Folks?"
9. How does Annjee react when Jimboy comes home and ignores her and her cooking? Should she react this way? Why or why not?
10. How was Sandy's integrated school segregated? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)