|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sandy was wondering more and more about sex and Tempy had given him a book about it called ______________ written by a white Presbyterian Minister from New England.
(a) The Doors of Life.
(b) The Pathway to Life.
(c) The Window to the World.
(d) The World of Love.
2. Afterwards, Sandy and Annjee do what?
(a) Meet Harriet in a local pub.
(b) Head home.
(c) Go to Harriett's dressing room.
(d) Go out for dinner with Harriet.
3. When they go home, how does Sister Johnson feel?
(d) Somewhat disappointed.
4. His journey to Chicago had excited him. How did Sandy feel about Chicago when he arrived?
(a) He found Chicago to be just as exciting as the old black men in Stanton had described to him.
(b) He found Chicago less glamorous than the old black men in Stanton had described to him.
(c) He found Chicago to be the worst place he had ever been.
(d) He found Chicago to be just like Stanton.
5. When Harriett appears on stage, what does she do?
(a) She blows the crowd away.
(b) She is booed off the stage.
(c) She tells jokes.
(d) She panics.
6. What is Hager's response to their treatment?
(a) She is also furious.
(b) She wants to protest the carnival.
(c) She wants to get revenge.
(d) She says there's no point to it, to forgive them and move on.
7. When Sandy asked himself whether a black person should simply endure oppression and wait for heaven like Aunt Hager did, what was his response?
(a) Sandy decided he wanted to endure only some oppression.
(b) Sandy decided that he wanted to live.
(c) Sandy decided he wanted to wait for heaven.
(d) Sandy was still not sure.
8. Sandy saw Sister Johnson again and enjoyed listening to her talk about what?
(a) Her neighbors.
(b) Her children.
(c) The people he had grown up with.
(d) Sandy's family.
9. Sandy receives word from Annjee that she finally has the money for what?
(a) His fare to Chicago.
(b) Buying a new home.
(c) Bus fare home.
(d) HIs education.
10. One day, Mr. Logan recommends that he get a job where?
(a) At a a bank.
(b) At a store.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At the barber shop.
11. Why had Tempy been embarrassed of Hager?
(a) Because she attended a black church.
(b) Because she wore an apron wherever she went.
(c) Because she was not educated.
(d) Because she had an accent.
12. To popularize the carnival, the carnival owners place coupons in the paper; if children bring them for "children's day" they can get what?
(a) Free rides.
(b) Free entrance.
(c) Free lemonade.
(d) Free cookies.
13. What had Tempy's employer left her as a token of her appreciation?
(a) A business.
(b) A home.
(c) A job.
(d) A car.
14. On the way to Sandy's job, he was accosted by whom?
(a) A black man.
(b) A white man.
(c) A gay man.
(d) A thief.
15. What did Tempy learn to do like this woman?
Short Answer Questions
1. Each night Sandy's mother would cry. Why?
2. When Sandy came home from work, how did he find Aunt Hager?
3. What did Tempy call Sandy?
4. Sandy is--somewhat unofficially--dating who?
5. In 'The Doors of Life' Sandy is a ___________ in high school.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)