|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hager not want Sandy to work at a hotel?
(a) She thinks that bad things go on at hotels.
(b) He is smarter than most people who work at hotels.
(c) Sandy will have to work late hours.
(d) Hotels do not pay well.
2. Why did the men believe the answer to number 155?
(a) The women could move up in social status.
(b) Women are inferior to men.
(c) Women cannot take care of themselves.
(d) Women want to do men harm.
3. For how long did Sandy have this illness?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
4. What did Sandy win?
(a) A tennis match.
(b) The freshman essay contest.
(c) A spelling bee.
(d) A wrestling tournament.
5. What did Tempy learn to do like this woman?
6. Sandy came down with what illness?
(b) The measles.
(c) The mumps.
(d) The flu.
7. Why did Sandy want to get away from Tempy?
(a) She was always stealing from him.
(b) She was very full of herself.
(c) He thought she was too tight.
(d) She was verbally abusive.
8. Why does Sandy go to the red-light district?
(a) To find his friends.
(b) He is lost.
(c) To learn about sex.
(d) To find Harriet and give her a message.
9. Each night Sandy's mother would cry. Why?
(a) She wanted a better life for her son.
(b) She had no money.
(c) She missed her mother.
(d) She had no news from Jimboy.
10. Tempy and Arkins believed that to get respect, one had to do what?
(a) Be educated.
(b) Act, dress, eat, and earn money as white people did.
(c) Leave the ghetto.
(d) Bleach their skin lighter.
11. They received a note from Annjee saying that she and Jimboy had moved where and both had jobs?
(a) To Cleveland.
(b) To Cincinnati.
(c) To Indianapolis.
(d) To Toledo.
12. Who was with Pansetta?
(a) Jimmy Lane.
(b) James Lareby.
(c) Johnny Lemon.
(d) Jeremy Little.
13. Sandy receives a note from his mother saying that she and Jimboy are ___________.
(a) In need of money.
(b) Doing well.
(c) Coming home.
(d) Want him to come live with them.
14. When Harriett appears on stage, what does she do?
(a) She blows the crowd away.
(b) She is booed off the stage.
(c) She panics.
(d) She tells jokes.
15. The story then flashes back _______ days when Sandy came home from work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annjee and Sandy reached the "_________ belt" of the city.
2. Sandy resolves not to let who down?
3. When Hager grew up, the plantation owner, Mr. Jeanne, left for what and died?
4. Hager dies and a large funeral is held with Tempy's high-class friends and who else?
5. Why does Annjee say she needs Sandy's help?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)