|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sandy win?
(a) A tennis match.
(b) A spelling bee.
(c) A wrestling tournament.
(d) The freshman essay contest.
2. What happens when Sandy quits his job?
(a) Aunt Hager gets mad at Sandy.
(b) His boss gets mad at him.
(c) He does not get his last pay check.
(d) He cannot find another job.
3. In 'The Doors of Life' Sandy is a ___________ in high school.
4. Mr. Siles and Tempy warned Sandy to 'beware of women.' Why?
(a) Women are difficult to live with.
(b) Women love to trick men.
(c) Lower-class women would try to get him to get them pregnant so he would have to marry them.
(d) All women are evil.
5. What did Sandy's friend think about Sandy's relationship with Pansetta?
(a) That he did not know Pansetta well.
(b) That he had "had" her.
(c) That he had never dated her.
(d) That she had dated other boys at the same time.
6. World War I has started and Tempy is helping out. Why?
(a) In the hopes that if blacks and whites work together for victory that whites will respect blacks and treat them better.
(b) She wants to show her support for the soldiers.
(c) She is very thrifty and clever.
(d) She likes to help others.
7. One day, Mr. Logan recommends that he get a job where?
(a) At a a bank.
(b) At the barber shop.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At a store.
8. Tempy sent Sandy to wire Annjee to let her know that Hager was sick. Why did the news not reach Annjee at this time?
(a) The address was no good.
(b) She did not pick up her telegram.
(c) Hager died before Sandy could get a message wired to Annjee.
(d) Sandy forgot her address.
9. Sandy receives a note from his mother saying that she and Jimboy are ___________.
(a) Coming home.
(b) In need of money.
(c) Doing well.
(d) Want him to come live with them.
10. Why does Sandy go to the red-light district?
(a) To find his friends.
(b) To find Harriet and give her a message.
(c) He is lost.
(d) To learn about sex.
11. Sandy was wondering more and more about sex and Tempy had given him a book about it called ______________ written by a white Presbyterian Minister from New England.
(a) The World of Love.
(b) The Doors of Life.
(c) The Pathway to Life.
(d) The Window to the World.
12. What does Hager tell Sandy about slavery?
(a) Slavery was very bad.
(b) Slavery should be reinstated.
(c) While slavery was very bad, it wasn't all bad.
(d) Slavery was pretty good.
13. Sandy saw Sister Johnson again and enjoyed listening to her talk about what?
(a) Her neighbors.
(b) Sandy's family.
(c) The people he had grown up with.
(d) Her children.
14. Once when Sandy was shining the shoes of a drunken bunch of white men, one of them, a Southerner, told Sandy to do what?
(a) Tell jokes for money.
(b) Sing for money.
(c) Dance for money.
(d) Clean his shoes for money.
15. What happened to Jimboy's guitar?
(a) It had to be sold.
(b) It was stolen.
(c) It is broken.
(d) It was sold to buy a better guitar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sandy came down with what illness?
2. Harriet says that __________________, black people cannot let brains go to waste.
3. Why did Hager stay with Miss Jeanne?
4. Sandy goes to work during the winter and overhears many stories and meets many people, learning to do what?
5. What is Hager's response to their treatment?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)