|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Annjee said that she had found Sandy a job working as what at a Chicago hotel?
(a) An assistant manager.
(b) A shoe-shine.
(c) A coat-checker.
(d) A bell-hop.
2. When Sandy asked himself whether a black person should simply endure oppression and wait for heaven like Aunt Hager did, what was his response?
(a) Sandy decided that he wanted to live.
(b) Sandy was still not sure.
(c) Sandy decided he wanted to wait for heaven.
(d) Sandy decided he wanted to endure only some oppression.
3. When Sandy goes with his colored friends to the carnival, what happens?
(a) They cannot go on any rides.
(b) They cannot use their coupons.
(c) They can only go on certain rides.
(d) They are barred from going in.
4. The Pool Hall in the summer was lively and full of black people. Why?
(a) They were not allowed to go to many other recreational areas.
(b) There were not many Pool Halls in town.
(c) The Pool Hall was the most popular place.
(d) The Pool Hall had a very low entrance fee.
5. Harriet says that __________________, black people cannot let brains go to waste.
(a) With the intelligence found in the black community.
(b) In a world full of hatred and greed.
(c) In a white man's world.
(d) With all the problems in the world.
6. While working at the hotel, how did Sandy encounter Harriet?
(a) Renting a room.
(b) Answering the telephone.
(c) Cleaning bedrooms.
(d) With a man she was probably hired to have sex with.
7. Hager was eulogized in the newspaper as how?
(a) "A well-educated and dedicated woman."
(b) "A caring woman."
(c) "A kind and generous woman."
(d) "Respected by many white families in the community".
8. What is Hager's response to their treatment?
(a) She wants to protest the carnival.
(b) She is also furious.
(c) She says there's no point to it, to forgive them and move on.
(d) She wants to get revenge.
9. They received a note from Annjee saying that she and Jimboy had moved where and both had jobs?
(a) To Cleveland.
(b) To Toledo.
(c) To Indianapolis.
(d) To Cincinnati.
10. Sandy is glad to get away from Tempy, as she was visiting what?
(a) A suffrage meeting.
(b) A museum.
(c) A friend in a nursing home.
(d) A Midwest Colored Women's Club.
11. How did Sandy feel about Sandy walking home with other boys?
(a) He was jealous.
(b) He was perfectly content.
(c) He was sad.
(d) He was angry.
12. Why does Sandy go to the red-light district?
(a) He is lost.
(b) To find Harriet and give her a message.
(c) To find his friends.
(d) To learn about sex.
13. Sandy is--somewhat unofficially--dating who?
14. Why did Hager stay with Miss Jeanne?
(a) She did not know where to go.
(b) She had no training.
(c) She had no place to go.
(d) She loved Miss Jeanne.
15. What had Tempy's employer left her as a token of her appreciation?
(a) A business.
(b) A job.
(c) A home.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sandy want to get away from Tempy?
2. When Harriett appears on stage, what does she do?
3. One day, working at Mrs. Prentiss's, he dropped his broom and did what?
4. In 'The Doors of Life' Sandy is a ___________ in high school.
5. Sandy receives a note from his mother saying that she and Jimboy are ___________.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)