|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eventually who came over?
(a) Old black women.
(b) Her white employers.
(c) All kinds of people.
(d) Her doctor.
2. What did Tempy call Sandy?
3. Harriet says that __________________, black people cannot let brains go to waste.
(a) In a world full of hatred and greed.
(b) With all the problems in the world.
(c) With the intelligence found in the black community.
(d) In a white man's world.
4. What is Hager's response to their treatment?
(a) She wants to protest the carnival.
(b) She is also furious.
(c) She says there's no point to it, to forgive them and move on.
(d) She wants to get revenge.
5. With whom does Sandy spend a lot of time?
(b) Sister Johnson.
6. How did Sandy feel about Sandy walking home with other boys?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He was perfectly content.
(c) He was jealous.
(d) He was sad.
7. When Sandy came home from work, how did he find Aunt Hager?
(a) Cleaning the kitchen.
(b) Lying down during the day.
8. The Pool Hall in the summer was lively and full of black people. Why?
(a) The Pool Hall had a very low entrance fee.
(b) The Pool Hall was the most popular place.
(c) There were not many Pool Halls in town.
(d) They were not allowed to go to many other recreational areas.
9. Once when Sandy was shining the shoes of a drunken bunch of white men, one of them, a Southerner, told Sandy to do what?
(a) Sing for money.
(b) Dance for money.
(c) Tell jokes for money.
(d) Clean his shoes for money.
10. To popularize the carnival, the carnival owners place coupons in the paper; if children bring them for "children's day" they can get what?
(a) Free cookies.
(b) Free rides.
(c) Free entrance.
(d) Free lemonade.
11. When Hager grew up, the plantation owner, Mr. Jeanne, left for what and died?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Spanish American War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The War of 1812.
12. Hager dies and a large funeral is held with Tempy's high-class friends and who else?
(a) Harriett's friends from the Bottoms.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The family.
(d) Hager's friends.
13. Why did Sandy want to get away from Tempy?
(a) She was very full of herself.
(b) He thought she was too tight.
(c) She was verbally abusive.
(d) She was always stealing from him.
14. One day, Mr. Logan recommends that he get a job where?
(a) At a store.
(b) At the barber shop.
(c) At a a bank.
(d) At a hotel.
15. When Sandy asked himself whether a black person should simply endure oppression and wait for heaven like Aunt Hager did, what was his response?
(a) Sandy decided he wanted to endure only some oppression.
(b) Sandy decided that he wanted to live.
(c) Sandy was still not sure.
(d) Sandy decided he wanted to wait for heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hager stay with Miss Jeanne?
2. For how long did Sandy have this illness?
3. Sandy decided for himself that he would be like ______________________ and get his education despite being impoverished.
4. Why does Annjee say she needs Sandy's help?
5. Why did the men believe the answer to number 155?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)