|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Punishment", Sandy often received a nickel for what purpose?
(a) To buy birthday presents.
(b) To put in the collection plate at church.
(c) To purchase school books.
(d) To spend on whatever he would like.
2. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
3. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
(a) He called the police.
(b) He did nothing.
(c) He shot him in the shoulder and drove off.
(d) He killed him.
4. What does Jimboy eventually do?
(a) He goes to bed.
(b) He puts down the guitar and sets her on his lap and eats.
(c) He leaves again.
(d) He notices Annjee.
5. That night the white people came in, evicted the blacks of this town and did what?
(a) Took over the town.
(b) Created an all-white town.
(c) Burned the town down.
(d) Sold the town to whites.
6. Why is Jimboy not working that day?
(a) He was injured.
(b) He wanted to spend the day with Sandy.
(c) He had been laid off.
(d) He was sick.
7. How did Jimboy punish him?
(a) He yelled at him.
(b) He ignored him.
(c) He whipped him.
(d) He chastised him for being a liar.
8. Why does Annjee believe Jimboy married her?
(a) Because he loved her.
(b) Because she was pregnant with their child.
(c) Because she was a homebody and would take care of a house.
(d) Because he wanted to get married and start a family.
9. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
10. Sister Johnson and Hager have long conversation about what?
(a) How awful life is.
(b) How they are going to pull themselves out of this depression.
(c) How Jimboy is no better than other black men.
(d) How many black men in the area beat their wives and how at least Jimboy didn't do that.
11. What did Sandy eventually do at the dance?
(a) He danced with girls.
(b) He fell asleep.
(c) He watched the musicians.
(d) He watched the others dance.
12. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
(a) On the bus.
(b) In the cafeteria.
(c) In the classroom.
(d) With her white classmates.
13. "Conversation" records a conversation between Aunt Hager and who else?
(a) Sister Johnson.
(b) Sister Whiteside.
14. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she has changed much.
(b) Where she has been.
(c) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(d) If she wants to be home.
15. Hager, Annjee and Sandy are very poor, so poor that they can't afford what?
(c) Warm clothes.
(d) A wreath or cake icing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Hager's three daughters?
2. Aunt Hager argued that they shouldn't hate white people but do what?
3. What did Aunt Hager think of Jimboy's letter?
4. Would Harriett's white girlfriends talk to her after school?
5. What did Sandy find out when he returned home?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)