|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
(a) They are no longer Christians.
(b) They do not like the new minister.
(c) They have converted to Catholicism.
(d) To join the white Episcopalian church.
2. Towards the end of the year, Annjee recovers, and they receive a letter from Harriet asking for what?
(a) Their support in her new music career.
(b) Fare to come home from Memphis, Tennessee.
(c) A visit from them.
(d) Fare to travel to Hollywood.
3. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
4. "Carnival" begins with Hager and her family splitting up, with some going to the revival and some going to the carnival _____ mile down the road.
(a) Three-quarters of a.
(b) A quarter.
(d) A half.
5. Why did this woman decide to quit her job as a waitress?
(a) Because white men harassed her too much and asked her to sleep with them.
(b) Because she had plans to go back to school.
(c) Because the job did not pay well.
(d) Because her boss treated her badly.
6. Tempy and her husband have done well financially and have stopped hanging around who?
(a) Middle-class blacks.
(b) Lower-class blacks with darker skin.
(c) All black people.
(d) White people.
7. Why does Annjee believe Jimboy married her?
(a) Because she was pregnant with their child.
(b) Because he wanted to get married and start a family.
(c) Because he loved her.
(d) Because she was a homebody and would take care of a house.
8. How long has it been since Annjee's husband, Jimboy, has written?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
9. "Hard Winter" takes the family from September to _______________.
10. What does this woman think that Christianity makes black people?
(a) Ignorant and weak.
(b) Powerful and confident.
(c) Scared and powerless.
(d) Stuck up and unable to have fun.
11. Sister Johnson and Hager have long conversation about what?
(a) How awful life is.
(b) How many black men in the area beat their wives and how at least Jimboy didn't do that.
(c) How Jimboy is no better than other black men.
(d) How they are going to pull themselves out of this depression.
12. Where did Harriet and Jimboy go?
(a) To neither the carnival nor the revival.
(b) To the carnival.
(c) To both the carnival and the revival.
(d) To the revival.
13. Hager asks her how Tempy likes her church. What is her response?
(a) It is very different and strange.
(b) There is nothing "niggerish" about the church at all.
(c) It is very quiet.
(d) It is no different than the Baptist church.
14. How did the white men feel about working alongside a black man?
(a) They did not mind working alongside a black man.
(b) They were unhappy about working alongside a black man.
(c) They refused to work alongside a black man.
(d) They were afraid.
15. In "School", the summer ends and Sandy has to go back to school to the ________ grade, which was integrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Aunt Hager's services needed?
2. Who had Jimboy probably been trying to outdo?
3. The white people near the area were furious at these blacks. Why?
4. Old Sister Johnson had lived through slavery, and after being freed, she and a large number of other blacks started up a town called _____________.
5. What was Aunt Hager going to do to punish Sandy?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)