|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stanton largely has _________ social classes.
2. It was late March and Annjee decided that she was going to save up her money and do what?
(a) Buy Sandy new clothes and toys.
(b) Go to be with Jimboy all the time.
(c) Go on a vacation.
(d) Bring Jimboy home.
3. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
4. In Stanton, why was there almost no work for black people?
(a) Immigrants came in and took away their jobs.
(b) There was hardly any work for anyone.
(c) The whites would not let them work.
(d) Other minority groups came in a took away their jobs.
5. Hager is determined to get Sandy through high school and make him into what?
(a) "The next W.E.B. du Bois."
(b) "The next Booker T. Washington".
(c) "The next black scientist."
(d) "The first black President of the United States."
6. Where is Jimboy working?
(b) New York City.
7. Afterwards, they had to buy their books and Sandy looked forward to coming home and doing what?
(a) Showing Jimboy his nature reader.
(b) Reading his nature reader.
(c) Showing Aunt Hager his nature reader.
(d) Showing Annjee his nature reader.
8. What did Aunt Hager think of Jimboy's letter?
(a) He was very sick.
(b) He was lying and never did any work.
(c) He was never coming home.
(d) He was teasing them.
9. What does this woman think of Jesus?
(a) Powerful and black.
(b) Rich and white.
(c) Righteous and black.
(d) Stiff and white.
10. "Storm" introduces Aunt Hager and her grandson Sandy preparing for ________________ that is hitting their neighborhood.
(a) A flood.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A truck.
(d) A cyclone.
11. Sandy really wants _________, but the best his mother can do is to get Mr. Logan to build him one.
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A treehouse.
(c) A sled.
(d) A car.
12. In "Punishment", Sandy often received a nickel for what purpose?
(a) To buy birthday presents.
(b) To put in the collection plate at church.
(c) To purchase school books.
(d) To spend on whatever he would like.
13. How long has it been since Annjee's husband, Jimboy, has written?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three years.
14. Where did Harriet and Jimboy go?
(a) To the carnival.
(b) To both the carnival and the revival.
(c) To neither the carnival nor the revival.
(d) To the revival.
15. The white people near the area were furious at these blacks. Why?
(a) For stealing land.
(b) For buying white property.
(c) For taking white jobs.
(d) For acting white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not clear about Harriet?
2. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
3. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
4. How does Hager's companion want to spend her time?
5. What was Aunt Hager going to do to punish Sandy?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)