|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He knew that Jesus was white but what had he learned?
(a) Jesus only loved white people.
(b) God is no race.
(c) There was no Jesus.
(d) God loves everyone.
2. That night the white people came in, evicted the blacks of this town and did what?
(a) Sold the town to whites.
(b) Burned the town down.
(c) Took over the town.
(d) Created an all-white town.
3. On Thursday afternoon, who comes home to visit?
(a) Hager's oldest daughter Tempy.
(b) Hager's friend Sister Johnson.
(c) Hager's youngest daughter Harriet.
(d) Hager's middle daughter Annjee.
4. In "Jimboy's Letter", AnnJee receives a note from Jimboy saying what?
(a) He'd remarried.
(b) He'd been laying railroad in Kansas City and had hurt his back so he was coming home.
(c) He'd found a good job and wanted her to join him.
(d) He'd been working in a warehouse in Chicago and had been promoted to manager.
5. How does Annjee feel when Jimboy comes home and starts singing with Harriet?
(a) She feels anxious.
(b) She feels relieved.
(c) She feels happy.
(d) She feels hurt.
6. How does Sandy react to Mrs. Rice's treatment of his mother?
(a) He cries.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He complains.
(d) He jokes.
7. Tempy and her husband have done well financially and have stopped hanging around who?
(a) White people.
(b) Lower-class blacks with darker skin.
(c) All black people.
(d) Middle-class blacks.
8. Towards the end of the year, Annjee recovers, and they receive a letter from Harriet asking for what?
(a) Fare to travel to Hollywood.
(b) Their support in her new music career.
(c) Fare to come home from Memphis, Tennessee.
(d) A visit from them.
9. Afterwards, they had to buy their books and Sandy looked forward to coming home and doing what?
(a) Reading his nature reader.
(b) Showing Jimboy his nature reader.
(c) Showing Annjee his nature reader.
(d) Showing Aunt Hager his nature reader.
10. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
(a) With her white classmates.
(b) On the bus.
(c) In the cafeteria.
(d) In the classroom.
11. What does Sandy do with his gift from Tempy?
(a) He hugs it.
(b) He throws it under the stove.
(c) He tries it out.
(d) He stares at it in awe.
12. Sandy noticed that his reader showed black Africans as what?
13. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
(a) He called the police.
(b) He killed him.
(c) He did nothing.
(d) He shot him in the shoulder and drove off.
14. Sandy had to run off and help his mother, who was ___________ at the Rice's, a rich white family.
15. In "Dance", Aunt Hager has to run off to tend to Sister Land. Why?
(a) She had a hemorrhage.
(b) She had fallen.
(c) She was poor.
(d) She was organizing a church fundraiser and needed assistance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Annjee?
2. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
3. What does Tempy give Sandy for Christmas?
4. After some greeting, Harriet goes off to stay with _____________, who she says she'll be living with.
5. What is not clear about Harriet?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)