|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jimboy sings many songs that he has learned from where?
(a) The south.
(b) The war.
(c) Across the country.
2. When the storm passes, what has Aunt Hager lost?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her entire town.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her house is gone.
3. How does everyone feel when Tempy leaves?
4. Why is Jimboy not working that day?
(a) He was sick.
(b) He was injured.
(c) He wanted to spend the day with Sandy.
(d) He had been laid off.
5. What happened to the Gavitts?
(a) They were helping those in need.
(b) They were killed.
(c) They were injured.
(d) They were left without a home.
6. What does Tempy give Sandy for Christmas?
(a) A beautiful book of Andersen's Fairy Tales.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A pair of boots.
(d) A new sled.
7. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
8. How did Sandy react to his punishment?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He went to his bed and cried all afternoon.
(c) He yelled back.
(d) He laughed.
9. What does this woman think of Jesus?
(a) Rich and white.
(b) Stiff and white.
(c) Powerful and black.
(d) Righteous and black.
10. Hager, Annjee and Sandy are very poor, so poor that they can't afford what?
(a) A wreath or cake icing.
(d) Warm clothes.
11. Why was Jimboy fired?
(a) He was disrespectful.
(b) He habitually showed up late to work.
(c) The white union members complained.
(d) He was often out of work due to illness.
12. After some greeting, Harriet goes off to stay with _____________, who she says she'll be living with.
13. Who returns home?
14. What did Harriet do that night when she came home late?
(a) She packed her bags and ran off with the circus.
(b) She wrote a nasty note to Aunt Hager.
(c) She packed her bags and caught the next train to New York City.
(d) She packed her bags and moved in with her boyfriend.
15. At the beginning of the story, what is Aunt Hager desperately trying to do?
(a) Get Sandy and herself into her cellar and get the door shut.
(b) Get Sandy and herself into a boat.
(c) Get Sandy and herself into a closet.
(d) Get Sandy and herself into an ambulance.
Short Answer Questions
1. The white people near the area were furious at these blacks. Why?
2. What does Jimboy eventually do?
3. What did John Lowdins do when a drunk white man attacked him?
4. "Hard Winter" takes the family from September to _______________.
5. Why did many of the elder townspeople die?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)