|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Hager think of Jimboy?
(a) He is kind.
(b) He is entertaining.
(c) He is intelligent.
(d) He is worthless.
2. How does Sandy react to Mrs. Rice's treatment of his mother?
(a) He jokes.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He cries.
(d) He complains.
3. Aunt Hager argued that they shouldn't hate white people but do what?
(a) Do what they ask.
(b) Take care of them.
(c) Pray for them.
(d) Fear them.
4. "Work" begins with Jimboy and Sandy doing what?
5. What did Sandy and Buster do with their money?
(a) They bought comic books.
(b) They bought school books.
(c) They put it in the church collection plate.
(d) They bought candy.
6. How does Sandy feel about Tempy's gift?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He is annoyed.
7. Towards the end of the year, Annjee recovers, and they receive a letter from Harriet asking for what?
(a) Fare to travel to Hollywood.
(b) Fare to come home from Memphis, Tennessee.
(c) A visit from them.
(d) Their support in her new music career.
8. In "Dance", Aunt Hager has to run off to tend to Sister Land. Why?
(a) She had fallen.
(b) She was poor.
(c) She had a hemorrhage.
(d) She was organizing a church fundraiser and needed assistance.
9. Who returns home?
10. What is not clear about Harriet?
(a) If she has changed much.
(b) How she made her way after quitting the carnival.
(c) If she wants to be home.
(d) Where she has been.
11. What was Aunt Hager going to do to punish Sandy?
(a) Make him feel guilty.
(b) Ground him.
(c) Whip him.
(d) Ignore him.
12. How did Sandy react to his punishment?
(a) He yelled back.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He went to his bed and cried all afternoon.
13. What happened to Sandy at the carnival?
(a) He became nauseous on one of the rides.
(b) He got bored.
(c) He stepped on a rusty nail.
(d) He missed the rest of his family.
14. When the storm passes, what has Aunt Hager lost?
(a) Her house is gone.
(b) Her entire town.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her car.
15. How did the white men feel about working alongside a black man?
(a) They were afraid.
(b) They refused to work alongside a black man.
(c) They did not mind working alongside a black man.
(d) They were unhappy about working alongside a black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Old Sister Johnson had lived through slavery, and after being freed, she and a large number of other blacks started up a town called _____________.
2. How does Annjee feel when Jimboy comes home and starts singing with Harriet?
3. Why was Jimboy fired?
4. In Stanton, why was there almost no work for black people?
5. After some greeting, Harriet goes off to stay with _____________, who she says she'll be living with.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)