|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this woman think of Jesus?
(a) Powerful and black.
(b) Righteous and black.
(c) Stiff and white.
(d) Rich and white.
2. Where is Jimboy working?
(a) New York City.
3. Sandy wonders if he could ever be __________ and whether the Lord even cared if someone was black or white, or male or female.
4. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
(a) They have converted to Catholicism.
(b) They do not like the new minister.
(c) They are no longer Christians.
(d) To join the white Episcopalian church.
5. Who had Jimboy probably been trying to outdo?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Swedes.
6. That night the white people came in, evicted the blacks of this town and did what?
(a) Took over the town.
(b) Created an all-white town.
(c) Sold the town to whites.
(d) Burned the town down.
7. A man could work in Stanton his whole life without saving enough money to retire and leave something behind. To whom had this happened?
(a) Aunt Hager's husband.
(b) Tempy's husband.
(c) Sandy's father.
(d) Aunt Hager's father.
8. Afterwards, they had to buy their books and Sandy looked forward to coming home and doing what?
(a) Showing Annjee his nature reader.
(b) Showing Jimboy his nature reader.
(c) Reading his nature reader.
(d) Showing Aunt Hager his nature reader.
9. In "Punishment", Sandy often received a nickel for what purpose?
(a) To buy birthday presents.
(b) To purchase school books.
(c) To spend on whatever he would like.
(d) To put in the collection plate at church.
10. In "Jimboy's Letter", AnnJee receives a note from Jimboy saying what?
(a) He'd remarried.
(b) He'd been working in a warehouse in Chicago and had been promoted to manager.
(c) He'd found a good job and wanted her to join him.
(d) He'd been laying railroad in Kansas City and had hurt his back so he was coming home.
11. Hager is determined to get Sandy through high school and make him into what?
(a) "The next Booker T. Washington".
(b) "The next W.E.B. du Bois."
(c) "The first black President of the United States."
(d) "The next black scientist."
12. Jimboy sings many songs that he has learned from where?
(a) Across the country.
(c) The south.
(d) The war.
13. "Conversation" records a conversation between Aunt Hager and who else?
(b) Sister Johnson.
(c) Sister Whiteside.
14. How did Sandy react to his punishment?
(a) He yelled back.
(b) He went to his bed and cried all afternoon.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He laughed.
15. On Thursday afternoon, who comes home to visit?
(a) Hager's middle daughter Annjee.
(b) Hager's oldest daughter Tempy.
(c) Hager's friend Sister Johnson.
(d) Hager's youngest daughter Harriet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Aunt Hager going to do to punish Sandy?
2. Why did she want to get a job as a chambermaid at a hotel?
3. After some greeting, Harriet goes off to stay with _____________, who she says she'll be living with.
4. Why was Jimboy fired?
5. "Hard Winter" takes the family from September to _______________.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)