|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-12, Punishment, School, Hard Winter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet wasn't permitted to sit where at school?
(a) In the classroom.
(b) On the bus.
(c) In the cafeteria.
(d) With her white classmates.
2. "Carnival" begins with Hager and her family splitting up, with some going to the revival and some going to the carnival _____ mile down the road.
(a) A half.
(c) Three-quarters of a.
(d) A quarter.
3. Why do Tempy and her husband quit the black Baptist church?
(a) They do not like the new minister.
(b) They are no longer Christians.
(c) They have converted to Catholicism.
(d) To join the white Episcopalian church.
4. What did Sandy eventually do at the dance?
(a) He danced with girls.
(b) He watched the others dance.
(c) He fell asleep.
(d) He watched the musicians.
5. Harriet had been on bad terms with Aunt Hager. Why?
(a) Because Hager forced her to do things she did not want to do.
(b) Because Hager often ignored her.
(c) Because Hager was mean.
(d) Because Hager had whipped her after the dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annjee feel when Jimboy comes home and starts singing with Harriet?
2. Old Sister Johnson had lived through slavery, and after being freed, she and a large number of other blacks started up a town called _____________.
3. Why did this woman decide to quit her job as a waitress?
4. Aunt Hager argued that they shouldn't hate white people but do what?
5. How did Jimboy punish him?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)