|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other character does Sotillo turn to for information?
2. Which character returns to town at the beginning of the chapter?
3. From whom does Decoud ask Gould to get financial support?
4. Who is ready to surrender?
5. Who does Gould meet to discuss a strategy for protecting the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pedro try to convince Gould to hand over his mine?
2. How is the silver corrupting the characters?
3. In what does Dr. Monygham give Nostromo the chance for revenge?
4. What does Decoud write in his letter to his sister?
5. What is the only reason the doctor thinks that Nostromo is trustworthy with the silver?
6. What are Antonia and Gould's real concerns?
7. How is the silver changing Nostromo's life?
8. Describe Montero's entrance into the town.
9. In what can Don Pepe be seen as one of the novel's stronger characters?
10. How does Nostromo's role as a servant help him to take the silver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the locations Conrad uses in the novel.
1) What effect does the location Conrad uses have on the tone of the book?
2) Pick one location and think in what way this location affects the actions of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine South American culture. What influence has it had on the world as a whole? What is Conrad's view on South America? What does this say about Conrad's political views? Does he disagree with foreigners like Charles Gould having so much influence?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Conrad's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Sotillo and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Conrad provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)