|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nostromo plan to marry?
2. Who convinces Sotillo that the silver is buried somewhere?
3. Who does Nostromo meet in the Custom House?
4. For whom does Sotillo send?
5. From where is the steamship transporting troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way can Pedro be seen as a weak character?
2. What do the town leaders show is their true worry in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. What has happened to Decoud?
4. In what way does Nostromo show his attitude towards life has changed in Part 3, Chapter 9?
5. How does the news of Nostromo and Decoud's supposed deaths prove their peers' real opinion of them?
6. How is the silver changing Nostromo's life?
7. Describe the collision between the two boats in Part 2, Chapter 8.
8. In what can Don Pepe be seen as one of the novel's stronger characters?
9. What does Decoud write in his letter to his sister?
10. How does Nostromo start getting the silver into his possession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine South American culture. What influence has it had on the world as a whole? What is Conrad's view on South America? What does this say about Conrad's political views? Does he disagree with foreigners like Charles Gould having so much influence?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the locations Conrad uses in the novel.
1) What effect does the location Conrad uses have on the tone of the book?
2) Pick one location and think in what way this location affects the actions of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)