|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Nostromo been out sailing for months?
2. Who does Nostromo plan to marry?
3. Who convinces Sotillo that the silver is buried somewhere?
4. Why does the chief engineer help the townspeople?
5. With whom does Sulaco establish international ties?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do the town leaders show their true colors in Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. In what can Don Pepe be seen as one of the novel's stronger characters?
3. In what does Gould still hold power over Pedro in Part 3, Chapter 7?
4. In what way can Pedro be seen as a weak character?
5. How does Nostromo start getting the silver into his possession?
6. What has happened to Decoud?
7. What does Decoud write in his letter to his sister?
8. In what does Dr. Monygham give Nostromo the chance for revenge?
9. How is the silver threatening to ruin Nostromo's life?
10. What does Captain Mitchell say on his tours around the Occidental Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nostromo is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Nostromo that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Conrad's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ideas of separatism and unionism. Why were these two ideas prominent in early 20th century South America? Did it have anything to do with foreign influence?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)