|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose ship docks in Sulaco at the beginning of this chapter?
2. From where is the steamship transporting troops?
3. Who does Nostromo meet in the Custom House?
4. For whom are the town leaders waiting?
5. How do Pepe and Mr. Gould plan to keep the mine out of enemy hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Pepe's plan to protect the silver mine?
2. What does Decoud write in his letter to his sister?
3. In what way can Pedro be seen as a weak character?
4. What has happened to Decoud?
5. What do the town leaders show is their true worry in Part 3, Chapter 2?
6. Describe Montero's entrance into the town.
7. What is Sotillo's plan once he gets to Sulaco?
8. What does Mrs. Viola tell Nostromo on her deathbed?
9. What are Antonia and Gould's real concerns?
10. How is the silver changing Nostromo's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine South American culture. What influence has it had on the world as a whole? What is Conrad's view on South America? What does this say about Conrad's political views? Does he disagree with foreigners like Charles Gould having so much influence?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Conrad use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the novel's characterization. How well drawn do you think Conrad's characters are? Select one of the minor characters such as Sotillo and discuss how much you know about his background. In what ways does Conrad provide the reader with information about that character?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)