|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nostromo think cares nothing for him?
2. Why does the chief engineer help the townspeople?
3. Who will lead the troops?
4. Who has joined the townspeople in cleaning up the town?
5. Who is asked to lead the delegation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Sotillo's takeover of Sulaco is so quick and brutal?
2. What does Decoud write in his letter to his sister?
3. What do the town leaders show is their true worry in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. In what does Gould still hold power over Pedro in Part 3, Chapter 7?
5. How does Nostromo start getting the silver into his possession?
6. What is Don Pepe's plan to protect the silver mine?
7. What does Captain Mitchell say on his tours around the Occidental Republic?
8. What is the only reason the doctor thinks that Nostromo is trustworthy with the silver?
9. What is Sotillo's plan once he gets to Sulaco?
10. How is the silver changing Nostromo's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Conrad's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Conrad use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at South American politics. How far reaching do the students think politics are in South American society? Does it affect even Decoud and Antonia's love life? Choose a character in the novel and discuss how politics affects and restricts his/her decisions.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)