|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which main character is introduced in this chapter?
2. What is the name of the Italian hotel owner?
3. Where is Riberia fleeing from when Mitchell rescues him?
4. What is the name of the town?
5. How long has Ribiera been elected into the presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Gould show a concern for her husband and his mine in Chapter 6, Part 2?
2. What is Giorgio's idea of revolution?
3. What does Ribiera symbolize to the nation of Costaguana?
4. Why does Decoud want to make Sulaco independent?
5. What do you think the silver mine represents?
6. In what way do Decoud's plans change?
7. What is the chairman trying to do to build his railway?
8. In what way does this chapter show the power of Charles Gould and his silver mine?
9. What happens to the Americans that go in search of the silver mine?
10. Why is the OSN an important presence in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the responsibility that comes with power. How much self restraint does, for example, a president have to have? Is it possible for him always to implement his own ideas? Does a strong societal structure create good leaders?
Essay Topic 2
Nostromo is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Nostromo that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Look at South American politics. How far reaching do the students think politics are in South American society? Does it affect even Decoud and Antonia's love life? Choose a character in the novel and discuss how politics affects and restricts his/her decisions.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)