|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Violas call Nostromo?
2. For what are the Americans looking?
3. Who is the newly-elected president in this chapter?
4. Which character in this chapter cares only for the church?
5. What is the name of what the author calls the insignificant cape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the silver mine represents?
2. Why does Mrs. Gould show a concern for her husband and his mine in Chapter 6, Part 2?
3. What is Giorgio's idea of revolution?
4. Why does Decoud want to make Sulaco independent?
5. What is the chairman trying to do to build his railway?
6. What does Ribiera symbolize to the nation of Costaguana?
7. Why is Ribiera important to the industrialists?
8. How do President Ribiera's problems start?
9. In what way does this chapter highlight Ribiera's weaknesses?
10. What happens to the Americans that go in search of the silver mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nostromo is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Nostromo that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Antonia and Decoud.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)