|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Viola's hotel cater?
2. What kind of articles does Decoud write for Europeans?
3. In what revolution did the Goulds participate?
4. Which family's routine is described in this chapter?
5. Which character in this chapter cares only for the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ribiera important to the industrialists?
2. What happens to the Americans that go in search of the silver mine?
3. Why does Decoud want to make Sulaco independent?
4. Why does Mrs. Gould show a concern for her husband and his mine in Chapter 6, Part 2?
5. In what way does the party in Chapter 5, Part 2, reflect the problems that resulted in the civil war?
6. How do Antonia and Decoud's opinion on the revolution differ?
7. What is the Costaguanian idea of revolution?
8. What is the chairman trying to do to build his railway?
9. In what way does the mine symbolize power and authority?
10. How does the opening of the mine affect the local community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Antonia and Decoud.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
Nostromo is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Nostromo that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Examine South American culture. What influence has it had on the world as a whole? What is Conrad's view on South America? What does this say about Conrad's political views? Does he disagree with foreigners like Charles Gould having so much influence?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)