|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Riberia fleeing from when Mitchell rescues him?
2. To where does Decoud want Antonia to go with him?
3. What is the name of the Sulaco superintendent?
4. Who does Mitchell say he and his crew rescued?
5. What is the name of Charles Gould's silver mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ribiera important to the industrialists?
2. What is Nostromo's relationship with the aristocracy?
3. In what way does the mine symbolize power and authority?
4. In what way does the party in Chapter 5, Part 2, reflect the problems that resulted in the civil war?
5. What is the chairman trying to do to build his railway?
6. What is the history of the silver mine as outlined in Chapter 6, Part 1?
7. Why is the OSN an important presence in the novel?
8. What does Ribiera symbolize to the nation of Costaguana?
9. How do Antonia and Decoud's opinion on the revolution differ?
10. Describe Martin Decoud.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the responsibility that comes with power. How much self restraint does, for example, a president have to have? Is it possible for him always to implement his own ideas? Does a strong societal structure create good leaders?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the ideas of separatism and unionism. Why were these two ideas prominent in early 20th century South America? Did it have anything to do with foreign influence?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Conrad use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, Nostromo, examine the way Conrad uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)