|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nostromo mean in Italian?
(c) Our Friend
(d) Our Man
2. Who prospers when the mine opens?
(a) The townspeople
(b) The government
(c) The president
(d) The expats
3. Which character calls Mrs. Gould the "never tired Senora"?
(a) Mr. Gould
(b) Joseph Mitchell
(c) Don Pepe
4. Who does Viola's wife pray will rescue them from the mob?
(c) Joseph Mitchell
5. What opening ceremony does Ribiera have to attend?
(a) A new hotel
(b) The Unveiling of the War Heroes
(c) The Central Railway Project
(d) The Sulaco Shopping Center
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of articles does Decoud write for Europeans?
2. What is the name of the country in which the story takes place?
3. Where is Riberia fleeing from when Mitchell rescues him?
4. Where does the revolt take place?
5. Who lives on these islands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the silver mine represents?
2. What is Giorgio's idea of revolution?
3. Why is the OSN an important presence in the novel?
4. How do the Goulds settle into Sulaco?
5. What is Nostromo's relationship with the aristocracy?
6. What is the Viola family's opinion of Nostromo?
7. Why does Mrs. Gould show a concern for her husband and his mine in Chapter 6, Part 2?
8. What does Ribiera symbolize to the nation of Costaguana?
9. In what way does the party in Chapter 5, Part 2, reflect the problems that resulted in the civil war?
10. Why does Decoud want to make Sulaco independent?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)