|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Violas resent about Nostromo?
(a) His freedom
(b) The loyalty he shows the English
(c) His love of life
(d) The loyalty he shows the natives
2. What is the name of the town?
3. Which character in this chapter cares only for the church?
(a) Mr. Hirsch
(b) Padre Corbelan
(d) Mr. Gould
4. In what government is Barrios give a high military post?
(a) The American government
(b) The British government
(c) The Ribiera government
(d) The Montero government
5. What does Gould assure his wife he will do whatever is possible to save?
(a) The mine
(b) The town
(c) Their marriage
(d) Their children
Short Answer Questions
1. From what American city do the Holroyds come?
2. What is the name of what the author calls the insignificant cape?
3. What is the name of the novel's main character?
4. What is the name of the Italian hotel owner?
5. What is Mr. Gould's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nostromo's relationship with the aristocracy?
2. Why is the OSN an important presence in the novel?
3. What does Ribiera symbolize to the nation of Costaguana?
4. In what way do Decoud's plans change?
5. What happens to the Americans that go in search of the silver mine?
6. Describe General Barrios.
7. What is the Viola family's opinion of Nostromo?
8. What do you think the silver mine represents?
9. Why is Giorgio disappointed with the other Italians in the area?
10. In what way does this chapter show the power of Charles Gould and his silver mine?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)