Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America.
1) Why was greed and loyalty such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the early 20thcentury? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Conrad use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication...
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)