Part 1, Chapter 1
• The story begins in Sulaco, a seaside port in the fictional country of Costaguana.
• Some Americans discover a hidden silver mine but they soon disappear.
• Conrad describes the area including a small group of islands called the Isabels.
• The Isabels are uninhabited and remote, but not far from Sulaco's habor.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• Joseph Mitchell recounts the time he once saved President Ribiera.
• Nostromo enters Mitchell's conversation. He is an Italian sailor who now works as a foreman on the docks.
Part 1, Chapter 3
• The hotel owner Giorgo Viola and his family are stuck in their hotel while a mob riots outside.
• Giogio's wife prays that Nostromo will come and save them.
• The family overhears the mob discussing whether they should burn down the hotel.
Part 1, Chapter 4
• Nostromo arrives at the hotel and prevents the riot from going any further
• The author goes into more detail about Viola's...
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)