|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of motorcycle do Vic and Wayne find in the carriage house in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"?
2. What kind of dog is Hooper?
3. What is the name of the Indian police officer who arrives after Vic calls 911 about her son’s kidnapping in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
4. “Come All Ye Faithful, October” opens on what day of the week?
5. What does the narrator say Wayne’s favorite thing is about the carriage house at the vacation home by the Lake in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bing do at the church by his house in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
2. How do the police respond to Vic’s story of her assault and Wayne’s abduction in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
3. How are Vic’s circumstances described in the beginning of "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"? Where is she living?
4. What occurs simultaneously with the destruction of the Christmas ornaments in "Come All Ye Faithful, October"?
5. Who advises Wayne in the backseat of the Wraith in "Search Engine, July 6-7"? What advice is given?
6. Where is Vic living in the opening of "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"? Who is she living with?
7. Where does Vic travel to via the Shorter Way Bridge after she leaves Bing’s home in "Christmasland, July 7-9"? What does she learn here?
8. How has Bing’s character changed when he is reintroduced in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
9. How is the “Gasmask Man” described in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"? What does he tell Mr. de Zoet?
10. Where does Vic travel to across the Shorter Way Bridge on the Triumph in "Search Engine, July 6-7"? What takes place at this location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the physical and mental effects that crossing the Shorter Way Bridge appear to have on Vic. Why do you think Vic becomes feverish and ill once she crosses the threshold? What auditory experiences does Vic have when she crosses the bridge?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the phone calls from Christmasland that Vic begins receiving in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012." Who calls Vic first? What is the reason the child says he is calling? How does Vic respond to the calls?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Charlie Manx’s offer to Bing Partridge in "Spicy Menace, 1990." How frequently does Charlie say he brings a child to Christmasland? How does Charlie describe Christmasland? What does Charlie tell Bing they are saving the children from? How does Charlie ask Bing to prepare for their work together?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)