|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the male nurse that tends to Lou while he’s in the hospital in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
2. After the visitation from his grandmother, Wayne rubs his eyes as he rides in the Wraith and sees that they are traveling through what state in the beginning of "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
3. What does Charles Manx say his first wife’s name was in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
4. What is the name of the shop that Vic passes as the enters Christmasland that has wooden puppets dangling in the window?
5. Who does Charlie Manx describe as a man who claimed that his spirit existed in a favorite suit of his in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bing’s character changed when he is reintroduced in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
2. Where is Wayne located in the opening of "Search Engine, July 6-7"? What is he doing?
3. Where is Vic living in the opening of "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"? Who is she living with?
4. How is Wayne’s demeanor described in the beginning of "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
5. What is the setting of "Come All Ye Faithful, October"? What information is revealed to the reader in the opening of this chapter?
6. How does the narrator describe the actions of Paul Caslon and Millie Manx in the novel’s Epilogue?
7. What does Bing do at the church by his house in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
8. What does Charlie Manx tell Wayne about Maggie Leigh in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
9. What is Vic doing when the narrative first turns to her character at the Lake House in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
10. What does the narrator say happens to Charlie Manx’s “True Children” in the novel’s Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the death of Bing Partridge’s parents in NOS4A2. How did Bing’s mother and father die? Does Bing feel he was responsible for their deaths? What motive would Bing have had for killing his parents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wayne Carmody in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012." How old is Wayne in the beginning of the chapter? What is Wayne’s relationship like with his father? What is his relationship like with Vic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Nurse Ellen Thornton and her encounter with Charles Manx in the “Prologue: Season’s Greetings, December 2008.” What does Charlie say to Nurse Thornton? How does Nurse Thornton tend to regard her patients in the prison infirmary? How is she affected by her encounter with Manx?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)