|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the street address listed on Bing Partridge’s mail in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
2. What does Bing cut up to use as a bandage around Mr. Manx’s head in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
3. What is the name of the Indian police officer who arrives after Vic calls 911 about her son’s kidnapping in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
4. What kind of motorcycle do Vic and Wayne find in the carriage house in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"?
5. What is the name of one of Charles Manx’s “True Children” and his biological daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions does Vic take inside Christmasland in "Triumph One Eternal, Christmas Eve"?
2. Where is Vic living in the opening of "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"? Who is she living with?
3. How do the police respond to Vic’s story of her assault and Wayne’s abduction in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
4. What does Charlie Manx tell Wayne about Maggie Leigh in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
5. Where is Wayne located in the opening of "Search Engine, July 6-7"? What is he doing?
6. How does Vic come to spend the summer with her son in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"? How does she feel about this vacation?
7. How does the narrator describe Vic’s relationship with her boyfriend and son in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
8. Who is the first of the children from Christmasland that calls Vic in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"? What does this character say?
9. Whom does Vic speak with on the telephone while she’s in Bing’s basement in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
10. What is the setting of "Come All Ye Faithful, October"? What information is revealed to the reader in the opening of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Christopher and Linda McQueen in the novel. How would you describe Vic’s relationship with her parents in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"? Is Vic closer to her mother or father? How does this change?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Charles Talent Manx in NOS4A2. What information about Charlie’s past does the narrator reveal in the prologue? How is Manx’s condition described by the doctors in the infirmary? What role does Charlie play in the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Maggie Leigh in the novel. How old is Maggie when Vic first meets her? How is Maggie’s appearance described? What type of apparel does Maggie wear? What are Vic’s impressions of Maggie?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)