|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the little Russian girl that appears at Lou and his girlfriend smash the ornaments in “Come All Ye Faithful, October”?
2. What message is on the sign for the New American Faith Tabernacle Church when Vic sees it after crossing the Shorter Way Bridge in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
3. What color hair does Charlie Manx say his first wife had in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
4. What kind of motorcycle do Vic and Wayne find in the carriage house in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"?
5. What happens to the “True Children” of Charles Manx in the epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Wayne’s demeanor described in the beginning of "Come All Ye Faithful, October"? What does Lou do for his son?
2. What actions does Vic take inside Christmasland in "Triumph One Eternal, Christmas Eve"?
3. What is Sigmund de Zoet doing when his character is introduced in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"?
4. How is Wayne’s demeanor described in the beginning of "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
5. How is Charles Talent Manx’s medical condition described in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
6. Whom does Vic speak with on the telephone while she’s in Bing’s basement in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
7. How does the narrator describe Vic’s relationship with her boyfriend and son in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
8. How does Vic come to spend the summer with her son in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"? How does she feel about this vacation?
9. How does Vic respond when Maggie appears on her doorstep in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"?
10. What argument takes place between Charlie Manx and Bing in the beginning of "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wayne Carmody in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012." How old is Wayne in the beginning of the chapter? What is Wayne’s relationship like with his father? What is his relationship like with Vic?
Essay Topic 2
Sexuality in NOS4A2
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between male and female sexuality in the novel. How does Bing view women? Do his views change in the course of the novel?
b. How are the characters of Vic and Maggie alike? How do they differ? Are their views on sexuality similar or different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Louis Carmody, Tom and Cady Priest, Alan Warner, and Sam Cleary in "Sleigh House, 1996." How old is Louis when Vic meets him? What does Vic think about stopping at Sam’s Gas and Sundries? Who is the most helpful to Vic here?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)