|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The note that Vic finds in the Library after Maggie has been killed in "Christmasland, July 7-9" says “When the angels fall, the children” do what?
2. What year is it when Lou tells Vic he’s taking the kid and going to stay with his mother for awhile in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"?
3. How many “missions” had Charlie Manx and Bing Partridge completed together before Charlie was incarcerated?
4. How does Vic attempt to destroy the Wraith in “Triumph One Eternal, Christmas Eve”?
5. What is the street address listed on Bing Partridge’s mail in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Wayne located in the opening of "Search Engine, July 6-7"? What is he doing?
2. How is the “Gasmask Man” described in "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"? What does he tell Mr. de Zoet?
3. How do the police respond to Vic’s story of her assault and Wayne’s abduction in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
4. What argument takes place between Charlie Manx and Bing in the beginning of "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
5. How are Vic’s circumstances described in the beginning of "Bad Mother, December 16, 2011-July 6, 2012"? Where is she living?
6. What happens when Vic visits her father’s house in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
7. How does the narrator describe the actions of Paul Caslon and Millie Manx in the novel’s Epilogue?
8. Whom does Vic speak with on the telephone while she’s in Bing’s basement in "Christmasland, July 7-9"?
9. Who is the first of the children from Christmasland that calls Vic in "Interlude: The Spirit of Ecstasy, 2000-2012"? What does this character say?
10. What is Vic doing when the narrative first turns to her character at the Lake House in "Search Engine, July 6-7"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Haverhill, Massachusetts. How big is the city of Haverhill? Where in Massachusetts is it located? How is Vic’s house described in the narrative? Where is the Shorter Way Bridge in relation to Vic’s home?
Essay Topic 2
Define the terms “flashback” and “flash-forward” in narrative literature. Identify examples of flashback and flash-forward in "Spicy Menace, 1990." Why does the author choose to relate the information in this way? How else might the information be related?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Christopher and Linda McQueen in the novel. How would you describe Vic’s relationship with her parents in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"? Is Vic closer to her mother or father? How does this change?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)