|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the necklace made of that Maggie wears in "The Librarian, 1991"?
2. When Vic first sees Charlie Manx outside the house in "Sleigh House, 1996," he is staring at her bridge and has his hands on what?
3. For how long has Nurse Thornton worked at the Supermax prison infirmary in "Season's Greetings, December 2008"?
4. What does the store owner hit Charlie Manx with in the face as he tries to break up the scuffle in the end of "Sleigh House, 1996"?
5. What is the name of Vic’s best friend in childhood in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maggie introduce herself and the setting where Vic has arrived in "The Librarian, 1991"?
2. How are the deaths of Bing’s parents described in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
3. What happens when the little boy in the car grabs Vic by the wrist in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
4. What foreshadowing does the narrator allude to when Charlie Manx appears to Bing Partridge in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
5. What does the narrator remark about the experiences of the drivers in the first two abductions in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"?
6. What is Nurse Thornton doing in the opening of "Season's Greetings, December 2008"?
7. What causes the argument between Vic and her mother when Vic has started high school in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"?
8. How does the narrator describe Maggie’s appearance in "The Librarian, 1991"?
9. How does Vic find help in her escape in "Sleigh House, 1996"? Who helps Vic?
10. What happens to Vic when she returns from the Library across the Shorter Way Bridge in "The Librarian, 1991"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the divorce of Christopher and Linda McQueen and its impact on Vic. What foreshadowing has the author employed to indicate the impending separation of Chris and Linda? How does Vic react when she learns that her father is gone?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death of Bing Partridge’s parents in NOS4A2. How did Bing’s mother and father die? Does Bing feel he was responsible for their deaths? What motive would Bing have had for killing his parents?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gerard Manley Hopkins’ definition of inscapes and how this concept applies to Vic’s bridge, Maggie’s Scrabble tiles, and Charlie Manx’s Rolls-Royce in NOS4A2. What is an inscape? How are inscapes related to logocentric theology?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)