|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he introduces himself to Bing Partridge in "Spicy Menace, 1990," Charlie Manx describes himself as the CEO of what company?
2. What has Vic McQueen’s mother lost in the beginning of "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"?
3. What is the name of Steve Conlon’s daughter that goes missing in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"?
4. What kind of stuffed animal does Vic travel across the Shorter Way Bridge to find for her best friend in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"?
5. What is the little boy wearing in the photograph that Vic is looking for in "The Librarian, 1991"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the little boy in the car described in "Sleigh House, 1996"? Why does Vic approach him?
2. Where does Vic find her Tuff Burner bike in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"? What does she do after finding it?
3. How does Nurse Thornton react to Manx’s “awakening” in "Season's Greetings, December 2008"? What do the doctors observe of his condition?
4. What are Vic’s first impressions of the house that she finds at “The Other End of the Bridge” in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
5. Where does Vic first see Charlie Manx in "Sleigh House, 1996"? Where does Vic run to flee?
6. How does the narrator describe the lost object that Vic goes in search of in the beginning of "The Librarian, 1991"?
7. What advertisement is described in the beginning of "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
8. How does the narrator describe Maggie’s appearance in "The Librarian, 1991"?
9. What is Nurse Thornton doing in the opening of "Season's Greetings, December 2008"?
10. What happens to Vic when she returns from the Library across the Shorter Way Bridge in "The Librarian, 1991"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the divorce of Christopher and Linda McQueen and its impact on Vic. What foreshadowing has the author employed to indicate the impending separation of Chris and Linda? How does Vic react when she learns that her father is gone?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Vic McQueen as the protagonist of NOS4A2. How old is Vic when her character is first introduced? What does Vic enjoy doing? How does Vic react to the Shorter Way Bridge when she first crosses it? How does Vic’s character evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Charles Talent Manx in NOS4A2. What information about Charlie’s past does the narrator reveal in the prologue? How is Manx’s condition described by the doctors in the infirmary? What role does Charlie play in the plot of the story?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)