|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the store owner at the country store where Vic goes to call the police after escaping from Charlie Manx in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
2. Where does Bing Partridge live in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
3. Where are Maggie and the library located in "The Librarian, 1991"?
4. Where does Charlie Manx take Bing to buy him a soda in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
5. What kind of bicycle does Vic McQueen love and own in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator remark about the experiences of the drivers in the first two abductions in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"?
2. How is Vic’s condition described after she crosses back over the Shorter Way Bridge following the retrieval of the bracelet in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"?
3. How are the deaths of Bing’s parents described in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
4. What does Charlie Manx tell Bing he must do in order to get to Christmasland in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
5. What happens when the little boy in the car grabs Vic by the wrist in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
6. How is Rory McCombers’ abduction described in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"? Where is Rory kidnapped?
7. What is Nurse Thornton doing in the opening of "Season's Greetings, December 2008"?
8. How are the trees and car described that Vic encounters on “The Other End of the Bridge” in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
9. How does the narrator describe Maggie’s appearance in "The Librarian, 1991"?
10. How does Nurse Thornton react to Manx’s “awakening” in "Season's Greetings, December 2008"? What do the doctors observe of his condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexuality in NOS4A2
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between male and female sexuality in the novel. How does Bing view women? Do his views change in the course of the novel?
b. How are the characters of Vic and Maggie alike? How do they differ? Are their views on sexuality similar or different?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Charles Talent Manx in NOS4A2. What information about Charlie’s past does the narrator reveal in the prologue? How is Manx’s condition described by the doctors in the infirmary? What role does Charlie play in the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the setting of Sugarhill, Pennsylvania, and the home of Bing Partridge. What church is located near Bing’s house? How is this church described? How populous is the area where Bing lives?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)