|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the white house that Vic finds on “The Other End of the Bridge,” the narrator says, “It was an awful place, and her first thought was that when the police searched it, they would find” what?
2. What does the store owner hit Charlie Manx with in the face as he tries to break up the scuffle in the end of "Sleigh House, 1996"?
3. What drug is being used by Charlie Manx and Bing Partridge in the abductions of children in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"?
4. When he introduces himself to Bing Partridge in "Spicy Menace, 1990," Charlie Manx describes himself as the CEO of what company?
5. For how many years has Bing Partridge worked for his current employer, according to his letter in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Vic arrive when she crosses the Shorter Way Bridge to look for her father’s lost object in "The Librarian, 1991"? Who witnesses her there?
2. How is Vic’s condition described after she crosses back over the Shorter Way Bridge following the retrieval of the bracelet in "Shorter Way, 1986-1989"?
3. What happens to Vic when she returns from the Library across the Shorter Way Bridge in "The Librarian, 1991"?
4. How does the narrator describe the lost object that Vic goes in search of in the beginning of "The Librarian, 1991"?
5. How is Rory McCombers’ abduction described in "Disappearances, 1991-1996"? Where is Rory kidnapped?
6. What foreshadowing does the narrator allude to when Charlie Manx appears to Bing Partridge in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
7. What does Charlie Manx tell Bing he must do in order to get to Christmasland in "Spicy Menace, 1990"?
8. What are Vic’s first impressions of the house that she finds at “The Other End of the Bridge” in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
9. What happens when the little boy in the car grabs Vic by the wrist in "Sleigh House, 1996"?
10. What is Nurse Thornton doing in the opening of "Season's Greetings, December 2008"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of NOS4A2. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does NOS4A2 compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Joe Hill’s writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the physical and mental effects that crossing the Shorter Way Bridge appear to have on Vic. Why do you think Vic becomes feverish and ill once she crosses the threshold? What auditory experiences does Vic have when she crosses the bridge?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the divorce of Christopher and Linda McQueen and its impact on Vic. What foreshadowing has the author employed to indicate the impending separation of Chris and Linda? How does Vic react when she learns that her father is gone?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)