|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is not something Toru tells Reiko he enjoys doing?
2. What does Toru dream of his first night in the girls' apartment?
3. How does Toru tell Hatsumi that Kizuki died?
4. What do we learn happens to Hatsumi?
5. After the porno movie and more drinks, what does Midori announce she wants to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time Toru sees Nagasawa after the celebration dinner?
2. How does Toru's second visit to the Ami Hostel go?
3. What kind of student was the young girl Reiko taught?
4. What is Toru's answer to Hatsumi's question of why he sleeps with random girls when he doesn't find much pleasure in it?
5. What happens in the middle of the night on Toru's second night in the women's apartment?
6. What happened to Reiko's marriage?
7. What happens in the middle of the night the first night Toru is in the women's apartment that is unusual?
8. How does Midori describe her father's funeral?
9. What purpose does Toru discover for the flag?
10. What happened to precipitate Reiko's first mental breakdown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the physical, emotional, and metaphorical journey that Toru takes when he visits Naoko at the sanatorium and the effect it has on his character and his relationship with Naoko.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of foreshadowing throughout this novel enhance or detract from the story? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes Murakami develops throughout "Norwegian Wood" is the idea of a connection between the mind and the body. Choose two characters and discuss how that connection or disconnection is exhibited in the novel.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)