|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Reiko figure out how to play from hearing it on the radio?
2. What do we learn happens to Hatsumi?
3. What is Reiko most worried about while she is with the piano student on the bed?
4. Who taught Hatsumi to play pool?
5. What station does Midori's father mention to Toru?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Toru's explanation about the importance of the subjunctive tense?
2. What happened to Reiko's marriage?
3. What happens in the middle of the night the first night Toru is in the women's apartment that is unusual?
4. How does Toru's second visit to the Ami Hostel go?
5. What does Toru learn about Naoko from Reiko's letters?
6. How does Nagasawa think he and Toru are alike?
7. What does Toru usually do on Sundays?
8. What is Midori's theory about Toru's girlfriend?
9. Describe Naoko's sister.
10. What is Reiko's advice for Toru regarding Midori?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the motifs Murakami uses in his novel to represent the disconnect between society and individuals is unexplained suicide. Explain how he uses this motif to enhance the theme(s) of his novel.
Essay Topic 2
Toru's connection to many of the other characters in the novel is based on a shared experience with death. Please choose at least one other character and discuss how this connection affects the relationship.
Essay Topic 3
How does the title of the novel, "Norwegian Wood," represent the text?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)