|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Midori's father in the hospital?
2. What college's sweatshirt does Hatsumi put on when she and Toru return to her apartment?
3. About which composer is Itoh especially knowledgeable?
4. How long did Reiko teach the young girl?
5. How did Naoko's sister commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Toru's apartment.
2. What is Toru's answer to Hatsumi's question of why he sleeps with random girls when he doesn't find much pleasure in it?
3. What happens in the middle of the night on Toru's second night in the women's apartment?
4. What happens in the middle of the night the first night Toru is in the women's apartment that is unusual?
5. Describe Naoko's sister.
6. What have Midori and her sister decided to do with the bookstore?
7. What was Reiko's courtship with her husband like?
8. What happened to Reiko's marriage?
9. What happens the first time Toru sees Nagasawa after the celebration dinner?
10. What is Toru's opinion about Nagasawa and Hatsumi's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the story of the field well at the beginning of the novel represents the future of Toru and Naoko's relationship and why he might have placed it so early in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Toru's connection to many of the other characters in the novel is based on a shared experience with death. Please choose at least one other character and discuss how this connection affects the relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Murakami's use of the character Reiko to advance the idea that one has to choose to be happy.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)