|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What playwright is Toru studying currently?
2. Why is Midori's father in the hospital?
3. The day Reiko's students felt sick, what did she ask Reiko for?
4. What is the name of the old dog Toru, Reiko, and Naoko meet on their hike?
5. What did Midori and her sister get drunk on after their father's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have Midori and her sister decided to do with the bookstore?
2. What is Reiko's advice for Toru regarding Midori?
3. What is Naoko and Reiko's first morning job?
4. How does Toru get Midori's father to eat?
5. What happens the first time Toru sees Nagasawa after the celebration dinner?
6. How does Nagasawa think he and Toru are alike?
7. Describe Toru's apartment.
8. Describe Naoko's sister.
9. What does Toru learn about Naoko from Reiko's letters?
10. What happened to Reiko's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Murakami develops throughout "Norwegian Wood" is the idea of a connection between the mind and the body. Choose two characters and discuss how that connection or disconnection is exhibited in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of foreshadowing throughout this novel enhance or detract from the story? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, Toru says that from Kizuki's death he learned that death is not separate from but part of life. How is this philosophy carried out through the rest of the novel?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)