|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Toru go to college?
2. What does "Midori" mean?
3. What was Nagasawa's major?
4. Which of these things is not something the patients at Ami Hostel do in the evenings?
5. In what sport was Naoko involved in junior high?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Toru and Naoko celebrate her twentieth birthday?
2. Describe Area C.
3. How did Toru become friends with Nagasawa?
4. Why does the narrator, Toru, say that memory is such a funny thing as he describes the scene he remembers from the meadow?
5. Describe Nagasawa.
6. How was Toru's dorm room different from most of the others?
7. Why does Naoko say it would be wrong for her to stay with Toru all the time?
8. How does Midori feel about her father?
9. What was the "field well"?
10. Describe the day Kizuki died.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of Murakami's use of letters throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Toru says that from Kizuki's death he learned that death is not separate from but part of life. How is this philosophy carried out through the rest of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the story of the field well at the beginning of the novel represents the future of Toru and Naoko's relationship and why he might have placed it so early in the story.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)