|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reiko teach?
2. What other living thing did Toru and Naoko see that day in the meadow?
3. What could Toru hear in the distance while he and Naoko were in the meadow?
4. Into what city is the narrator's plane flying at the beginning of the novel?
5. What is the first thing Dr. Ishida asks Toru about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Naoko get angry at Toru in the meadow?
2. How did Toru feel about joining Nagasawa's womanizing expeditions?
3. What was the morning ceremony at the dormitory where Toru lived as a college student?
4. Describe Toru's roommate.
5. Why does Naoko say it would be wrong for her to stay with Toru all the time?
6. What causes the narrator to feel dizzy in the opening scene of the novel?
7. What does Nagasawa tell Toru are his reasons for wanting to join the Foreign Ministry?
8. How does Midori feel about her father?
9. How did Toru first meet Naoko?
10. What sorts of things do Naoko and her fellow patients do for entertainment at the hostel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toru falls in love with two girls: Midori and Naoko. Compare and contrast these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of this novel is the superficiality of things and people and the world. Discuss how Murakami develops this theme in "Norwegian Wood."
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes Murakami develops throughout "Norwegian Wood" is the idea of a connection between the mind and the body. Choose two characters and discuss how that connection or disconnection is exhibited in the novel.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)