|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many patients are at Ami Hostel?
2. At what station did Toru and Naoko get off the train together?
3. What does Toru say that angers Naoko?
4. What game did Kizuki and Toru play the day Kizuki died?
5. What does Toru say was Nagasawa's greatest virtue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator, Toru, say that memory is such a funny thing as he describes the scene he remembers from the meadow?
2. Describe Area C.
3. How does Midori feel about her father?
4. How did Ami Hostel come into existence?
5. Why does Naoko get angry at Toru in the meadow?
6. What did Naoko tell Toru in the letter she sent him in July 1969?
7. Describe Nagasawa.
8. Why is Toru writing this book?
9. How does Toru spend the summer break?
10. What is Midori's job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to the connection between the mind and the body, Murakami explores the difference between living totally in one's mind and living totally in the outside system of the world. Using at least two characters as examples, discuss the author's development of this idea throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Murakami use sex to represent the ways in which people communicate with one another? Please use at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Norwegian Wood" there are a lot of ways in which characters have difficulty communicating. Midori's father can barely speak. Naoko has trouble writing. Toru isolates himself at his house and loses touch with everyone he knows. Discuss the novel's position on the importance of communication.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)