|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many patients are at Ami Hostel?
2. What sort-of-forbidden treat do Reiko and Naoko share with Toru?
3. What other living thing did Toru and Naoko see that day in the meadow?
4. What did Toru get Naoko for Christmas in 1968?
5. What book was Toru reading the night he went to the movies alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Toru first meet Naoko?
2. How did Naoko and Toru spend their afternoon together after meeting on the train?
3. Why does Naoko say it would be wrong for her to stay with Toru all the time?
4. Why is Naoko's roommate referred to as "Dr. Ishida"?
5. Describe Toru's roommate.
6. What did Naoko tell Toru in the letter she sent him in July 1969?
7. How does Naoko describe the conditions in which she writes her letter to Toru?
8. What does Nagasawa tell Toru are his reasons for wanting to join the Foreign Ministry?
9. What does Toru assume about the name of Ami Hostel?
10. How does Toru spend the summer break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the title of the novel, "Norwegian Wood," represent the text?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Murakami use sex to represent the ways in which people communicate with one another? Please use at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
How does grief play a role in shaping the characters in this novel? Please use at least three examples.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)