|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
2. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
4. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
5. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Austen uses comedy to poke fun at the misfortunes of the characters in "Northanger Abbey". Answer the following questions in an essay:
a) Is Austen's use of comedy effective?
b) What tone does Austen's humor cast on the story?
c) Does Austen's humor translate to the 21st Century?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 3
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)