|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
2. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
3. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
4. What does Catherine imagine of Northanger Abbey?
5. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
2. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
3. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
4. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
5. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
6. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
7. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
8. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
9. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
10. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
Essay Topic 2
One of Catherine's favorite things to do is reading Gothic novels. She seizes every opportunity to talk about Gothic novels with those she meets, and, as Gothic novels were quite popular during this time, her companion(s) often had an opinion of their own to share with Catherine. Research the Gothic novel and discuss its prominence in early 19th Century England.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)