|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
2. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
3. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
4. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
5. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
2. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
3. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
4. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
5. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
6. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
7. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
8. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
9. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
10. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
Essay Topic 3
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)