|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
2. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
3. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
4. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
5. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
2. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
3. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
4. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
5. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
6. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
7. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
8. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
9. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
10. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)