|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
2. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
3. Where is Henry's home?
4. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
5. What is Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
2. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
3. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
4. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
5. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
6. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
7. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
8. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
9. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
10. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" can easily be seen as a coming-of-age story. Catherine is introduced as a young lady of seventeen, and the novel concludes with a more mature and experienced protagonist. Discuss how "Northanger Abbey" is a coming-of-age story.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)