|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
2. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
3. Who is William?
4. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
5. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
2. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
3. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
4. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
5. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
6. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
7. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
8. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
9. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
10. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 2
Austen uses comedy to poke fun at the misfortunes of the characters in "Northanger Abbey". Answer the following questions in an essay:
a) Is Austen's use of comedy effective?
b) What tone does Austen's humor cast on the story?
c) Does Austen's humor translate to the 21st Century?
Essay Topic 3
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)