|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
2. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
3. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
4. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
5. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
2. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
3. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
4. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
5. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
6. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
7. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
8. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
9. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
10. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is "Northanger Abbey" a parody of Gothic novels? Use examples from the text to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)