|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
2. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. Where does General Tilney suggest the group visit while staying at Northanger Abbey?
4. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
5. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
2. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
3. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
6. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
7. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
8. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
9. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
10. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Austen uses comedy to poke fun at the misfortunes of the characters in "Northanger Abbey". Answer the following questions in an essay:
a) Is Austen's use of comedy effective?
b) What tone does Austen's humor cast on the story?
c) Does Austen's humor translate to the 21st Century?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)