|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
2. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
3. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
4. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
5. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
2. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
3. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
4. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
5. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
6. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
7. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
8. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
9. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
10. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
Essay Topic 2
Research the social manners of the time period and determine whether these social manners played a role in Catherine's interaction with Henry during her stay in Bath.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)