|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
2. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
3. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
4. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
5. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
2. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
3. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
4. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
5. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
6. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
7. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
8. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
9. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
10. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Northanger Abbey and what it symbolizes for the protagonist.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)