|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
2. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
4. At night, what piece of furniture does Catherine notice in her room in Northanger Abbey?
5. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
2. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
3. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
6. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
7. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
8. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
9. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
10. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is "Northanger Abbey" a parody of Gothic novels? Use examples from the text to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Northanger Abbey and what it symbolizes for the protagonist.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the antagonist of the story and what makes this character the antagonist?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)