|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
2. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
3. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
4. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
5. After Catherine's departure, how much longer will the Allens stay in Bath?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Austen uses comedy to poke fun at the misfortunes of the characters in "Northanger Abbey". Answer the following questions in an essay:
a) Is Austen's use of comedy effective?
b) What tone does Austen's humor cast on the story?
c) Does Austen's humor translate to the 21st Century?
Essay Topic 3
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)