|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John Thorpe headed when he leaves in Chapter 15?
2. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
3. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
4. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
5. What does Catherine imagine of Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
2. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
3. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
4. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
5. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
6. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
7. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
8. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
9. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
10. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" can easily be seen as a coming-of-age story. Catherine is introduced as a young lady of seventeen, and the novel concludes with a more mature and experienced protagonist. Discuss how "Northanger Abbey" is a coming-of-age story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)