|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
2. At night, what piece of furniture does Catherine notice in her room in Northanger Abbey?
3. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
4. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
5. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
2. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
3. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
4. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
5. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
6. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
7. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
8. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
9. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
10. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Catherine's favorite things to do is reading Gothic novels. She seizes every opportunity to talk about Gothic novels with those she meets, and, as Gothic novels were quite popular during this time, her companion(s) often had an opinion of their own to share with Catherine. Research the Gothic novel and discuss its prominence in early 19th Century England.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the antagonist of the story and what makes this character the antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Research the social manners of the time period and determine whether these social manners played a role in Catherine's interaction with Henry during her stay in Bath.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)