|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
2. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
4. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
5. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
2. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
3. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
4. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
5. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
6. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
7. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
8. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
9. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
10. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" can easily be seen as a coming-of-age story. Catherine is introduced as a young lady of seventeen, and the novel concludes with a more mature and experienced protagonist. Discuss how "Northanger Abbey" is a coming-of-age story.
Essay Topic 2
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "Northanger Abbey". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and separation. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)