|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
2. What do Catherine and Henry discuss on the walk?
3. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
4. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
5. Where is John Thorpe headed when he leaves in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
2. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
3. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
6. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
7. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
8. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
9. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
10. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
Essay Topic 2
Research the social manners of the time period and determine whether these social manners played a role in Catherine's interaction with Henry during her stay in Bath.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)