|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
2. Who is William?
3. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
4. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
5. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
2. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
3. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
4. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
5. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
6. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
7. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
8. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
9. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
10. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is "Northanger Abbey" a parody of Gothic novels? Use examples from the text to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Research the social manners of the time period and determine whether these social manners played a role in Catherine's interaction with Henry during her stay in Bath.
Essay Topic 3
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)