|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
2. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
3. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
4. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
5. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
2. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
3. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
4. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
5. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
6. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
7. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
8. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
9. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
10. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Austen uses comedy to poke fun at the misfortunes of the characters in "Northanger Abbey". Answer the following questions in an essay:
a) Is Austen's use of comedy effective?
b) What tone does Austen's humor cast on the story?
c) Does Austen's humor translate to the 21st Century?
Essay Topic 2
Is Catherine a relatable heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)