|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
2. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
4. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
2. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
3. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
4. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
5. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
6. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
7. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
8. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
9. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
10. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 3
One of Catherine's favorite things to do is reading Gothic novels. She seizes every opportunity to talk about Gothic novels with those she meets, and, as Gothic novels were quite popular during this time, her companion(s) often had an opinion of their own to share with Catherine. Research the Gothic novel and discuss its prominence in early 19th Century England.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)