|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor begin to talk of Isabella and finances?
2. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
3. Where do James and Isabella become engaged?
4. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
5. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
2. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
3. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
4. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
5. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
6. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
7. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
8. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
9. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
10. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writing style Austen uses in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)