|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
2. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
3. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
4. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
5. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Catherine's favorite things to do is reading Gothic novels. She seizes every opportunity to talk about Gothic novels with those she meets, and, as Gothic novels were quite popular during this time, her companion(s) often had an opinion of their own to share with Catherine. Research the Gothic novel and discuss its prominence in early 19th Century England.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)