|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
2. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
3. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
4. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
5. At night, what piece of furniture does Catherine notice in her room in Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
2. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
3. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
6. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
7. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
8. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
9. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
10. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writing style Austen uses in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Northanger Abbey and what it symbolizes for the protagonist.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)