|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
2. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
3. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
4. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
5. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
2. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
3. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
4. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
5. How do Isabella and James know each other?
6. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
7. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
8. Describe Mrs. Allen.
9. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
10. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Is Catherine a relatable heroine? Why or why not?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)