|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
2. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
3. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
4. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
5. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
2. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
3. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
4. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
5. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
6. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
7. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
8. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
9. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
10. Describe Catherine's family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
Essay Topic 3
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)