|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
2. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
3. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
4. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
2. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
3. Describe Catherine's family.
4. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
5. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
6. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
7. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
8. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
10. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
Essay Topic 3
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)