|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
2. How do James and John know each other?
3. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
4. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
5. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
2. Describe Catherine's family.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
4. Describe Mrs. Allen.
5. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
7. How do Isabella and James know each other?
8. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
9. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
10. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "Northanger Abbey". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and separation. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)