Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
2. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
3. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
4. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
5. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine's family.
2. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
3. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
4. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
5. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
6. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
7. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
8. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
9. Why does the General decide to accept a marriage between Henry and Catherine?
10. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
In what way is "Northanger Abbey" a parody of Gothic novels? Use examples from the text to support your conclusion.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)