|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
2. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
3. In Chapter 9, while riding in the carriage, what topics of conversation arise between Catherine and John?
4. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
5. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
2. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
3. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
4. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
5. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
6. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
7. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
8. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
9. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
10. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" can easily be seen as a coming-of-age story. Catherine is introduced as a young lady of seventeen, and the novel concludes with a more mature and experienced protagonist. Discuss how "Northanger Abbey" is a coming-of-age story.
Essay Topic 2
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "Northanger Abbey". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and separation. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)