|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked what she thinks of John Thorpe, how does Catherine respond?
2. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
3. Who taught Catherine French?
4. How do James and John know each other?
5. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
2. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
4. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
5. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
6. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
7. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
8. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
9. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
10. Describe Catherine's family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the antagonist of the story and what makes this character the antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style Austen uses in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)