|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
2. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
3. How do James and John know each other?
4. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
5. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
2. Why does the General decide to accept a marriage between Henry and Catherine?
3. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
4. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
5. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
6. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
7. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
8. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
9. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
10. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
Essay Topic 2
Is Catherine a relatable heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)