|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
2. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
3. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
4. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
5. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
2. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
3. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
4. Describe Catherine's family.
5. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
6. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
7. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
8. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
9. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
10. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
Essay Topic 2
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
Essay Topic 3
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)