|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
2. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
3. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
5. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
2. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
3. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
4. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
5. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
6. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
7. How do Isabella and James know each other?
8. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
10. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Austen uses comedy to poke fun at the misfortunes of the characters in "Northanger Abbey". Answer the following questions in an essay:
a) Is Austen's use of comedy effective?
b) What tone does Austen's humor cast on the story?
c) Does Austen's humor translate to the 21st Century?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the antagonist of the story and what makes this character the antagonist?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)