|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
2. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
3. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
4. What is the name of the street where Catherine and the Allens stay?
5. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
2. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
3. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
5. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
6. How do Isabella and James know each other?
7. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
8. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
10. Describe Catherine's family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
Essay Topic 2
Research the social manners of the time period and determine whether these social manners played a role in Catherine's interaction with Henry during her stay in Bath.
Essay Topic 3
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)