|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
2. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
3. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
4. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
5. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine's family.
2. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
3. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
4. How do Isabella and James know each other?
5. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
6. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
7. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
8. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
9. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
10. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Catherine a relatable heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
Essay Topic 3
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "Northanger Abbey". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and separation. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)