|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
2. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
3. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
4. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
5. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
2. What does Catherine fear is the reason General Tilney has sent her home?
3. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
4. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
5. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
6. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
7. What reason did General Tilney have for sending Catherine away so abruptly?
8. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
9. How do Isabella and James know each other?
10. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
Essay Topic 1
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)