|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
2. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
4. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
5. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
2. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
3. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
4. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
5. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
6. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
7. How do Isabella and James know each other?
8. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
9. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
10. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "Northanger Abbey". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and separation. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Is Catherine a relatable heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)