|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
2. Who taught Catherine French?
3. Who taught Catherine writing and accounts?
4. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
5. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
2. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
3. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
4. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
5. How do Isabella and James know each other?
6. Describe Mrs. Allen.
7. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
8. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
9. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
10. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)