|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
2. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
3. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
4. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
5. Why does Catherine turn down Mr. Tilney's invitation to dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
2. How do Isabella and James know each other?
3. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
4. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
5. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
6. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
7. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
8. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
9. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
10. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
One of Catherine's favorite things to do is reading Gothic novels. She seizes every opportunity to talk about Gothic novels with those she meets, and, as Gothic novels were quite popular during this time, her companion(s) often had an opinion of their own to share with Catherine. Research the Gothic novel and discuss its prominence in early 19th Century England.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)