|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
2. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
3. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. Who taught Catherine French?
5. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
2. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
3. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
4. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
5. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
6. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
7. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
8. Describe Mrs. Allen.
9. Describe Catherine's family.
10. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
Essay Topic 2
The English class system of the early 19th Century is a prominent theme of "Northanger Abbey". The characters of the story must follow the social rules, and doing so often leads to obstacles, misunderstandings and separation. Discuss the effects that the social rules of the high class had on the central characters of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)