|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
3. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
4. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
5. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
2. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
3. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
4. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
5. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
6. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
7. What does Catherine fear is the reason General Tilney has sent her home?
8. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
9. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
10. Describe Catherine's family.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Love and romance are a major theme of the story.
Discuss the pairings of the following couples, the issues they faced, and whether they had a "happy ending".
a) Henry and Catherine
b) John and Catherine
c) Isabella and James
d) Isabella and Captain Tilney
e) Eleanor and her secret lover
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)