|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
2. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
3. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
4. Why does Catherine turn down Mr. Tilney's invitation to dance?
5. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
2. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
3. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
4. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
6. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
7. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
8. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
9. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
10. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Catherine a relatable heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)