|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
2. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
3. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
4. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
5. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine's family.
2. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
3. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
4. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
5. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
6. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
7. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
8. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
9. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
10. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 3
"Northanger Abbey" is a story about youthful love and friendship. Discuss the portrayal of 19th Century youth in the novel "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)