|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
2. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
3. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
4. Who taught Catherine French?
5. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Allen.
2. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
3. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
4. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
5. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
6. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
7. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
8. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
9. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
10. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of money and wealth in early 19th Century high society, and how does money and wealth affect the protagonist and her relationship with Henry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)