|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
2. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
4. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
5. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
2. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
3. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
4. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
5. How do Isabella and James know each other?
6. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
7. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
8. Describe Catherine's family.
9. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
10. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the friendship Catherine had with Isabella and the friendship Catherine had with Eleanor. Who was a better friend to Catherine? Why?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)