|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
2. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
3. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
4. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
5. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
2. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
3. Describe Mrs. Allen.
4. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
6. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
7. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
8. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
9. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance do carriages have in the novel "Northanger Abbey"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
Essay Topic 3
In what way is "Northanger Abbey" a parody of Gothic novels? Use examples from the text to support your conclusion.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)