|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
2. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
3. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
4. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
5. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Isabella and James know each other?
2. Describe Mrs. Allen.
3. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
4. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
5. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
6. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
7. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
8. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
9. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
10. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen novels are still widely read. Why are Jane Austen novels still so popular today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writing style Austen uses in "Northanger Abbey".
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)