|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
2. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
3. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
4. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
5. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
3. Describe Catherine's family.
4. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
5. How do Isabella and James know each other?
6. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
7. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
8. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
9. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
10. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the settings of "Northanger Abbey" and how each place affects the actions and future of Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Research the social manners of the time period and determine whether these social manners played a role in Catherine's interaction with Henry during her stay in Bath.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the two men who pursue the young protagonist; Henry Tilney and John Thorpe.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)