|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
2. When asked what she thinks of John Thorpe, how does Catherine respond?
3. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
4. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
5. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine's family.
2. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
3. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
4. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
5. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
7. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
8. Describe Mrs. Allen.
9. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
10. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role fashion plays in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style Austen uses in "Northanger Abbey".
Essay Topic 3
Research the Austen canon. According to literary critics, how does "Northanger Abbey" compare to Austen's other works in terms of writing style, tone and plot?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)