|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Catherine reveals her suspicions of General Tilney, how is Henry's behavior towards her different at dinner?
(a) He pays her more attention than usual.
(b) He ignores her completely.
(c) He is rude towards her.
(d) He is honest about his romantic feelings.
2. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(a) Stormy and windy.
(c) Cold and breezy.
3. What does Catherine imagine of Northanger Abbey?
(a) That it must be like a Gothic castle.
(b) That it must be haunted.
(c) That it must be fashionably furnished.
(d) That it must be in poor condition.
4. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
(a) The maid.
(c) General Tilney.
5. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Go for a carriage ride.
(b) Play cards.
(c) Tour the estate's gardens.
(d) Tour Mrs. Tilney's chambers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
2. When does Catherine receive a letter from James?
3. Where is Henry's home?
4. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
2. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
3. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
4. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
5. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
6. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
7. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
8. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
9. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
10. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)