|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Northanger Abbey.
2. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) A castle outside of Bath.
(b) The Thorpe estate.
(c) The Allens' estate.
(d) The Tilney's estate.
3. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
(b) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(c) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(d) The portrait was quite abstract.
4. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A novel she has not yet read.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) An old love letter.
(d) A large chest.
5. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(a) A business trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
2. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
3. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
4. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
5. Who is William?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
2. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
3. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
4. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
5. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
6. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
7. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
8. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
9. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
10. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)