|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strikes Catherine as odd about Northanger Abbey?
(a) It is haunted.
(b) It is unfurnished.
(c) It is modern.
(d) It is small.
2. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
(a) Eleanor Tilney.
(b) Henry Tilney.
(c) General Tilney.
(d) Captain Tilney.
3. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
(a) To burn the letter after reading it.
(b) To apologize to James on her behalf.
(c) To intervene with James.
(d) To praise her in front of the General.
4. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
(a) Twelve miles.
(b) Seven miles.
(c) Thirty miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
5. How does Catherine interpret the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) As sincere and apologetic.
(b) As pathetic and sad.
(c) As insincere and mean-spirited.
(d) As grasping and self-serving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
2. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
3. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
4. Where is John Thorpe headed when he leaves in Chapter 15?
5. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
2. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
3. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
4. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
5. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
6. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
7. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
8. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
9. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
10. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)