|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
(a) That Henry must despise her.
(b) That Henry is lying.
(c) That General Tilney will seek revenge.
(d) That Eleanor will avoid her.
2. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
(a) The room smelled strange.
(b) The room was too bright.
(c) Catherine was too restless.
(d) The housemaids were within.
3. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) Thirty miles.
(c) Twelve miles.
(d) Seven miles.
4. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) The are ignorant.
(b) They are dishonest.
(c) They are excessively proud.
(d) They are a strange bunch.
5. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Pack her belongings.
(b) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(c) Do an inventory of her dresses.
(d) Write a letter to her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
2. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
3. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
4. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
5. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
2. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
3. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
4. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
5. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
6. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
7. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
8. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
9. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
10. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)