|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
2. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
(a) The room was too bright.
(b) The housemaids were within.
(c) The room smelled strange.
(d) Catherine was too restless.
3. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
(c) Only that Isabella is well.
4. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
(a) Finding a haunted castle.
(b) Being engaged to Henry.
(c) Being asked to dance by every man at the ball.
(d) Discovering a hidden passageway.
5. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) Dinner outdoors.
(b) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
(c) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
(d) A day trip to Bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
2. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
3. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
4. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
5. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
2. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
3. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
4. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
5. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
6. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
7. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
8. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
9. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
10. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)