|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) An old love letter.
(c) A novel she has not yet read.
(d) A large chest.
2. What invitation does Eleanor offer Catherine at the end of their walk?
(a) Eleanor invites Catherine to Northanger Abbey.
(b) Eleanor invites Catherine for another walk the following day.
(c) Eleanor invites Catherine for a carriage ride.
(d) Eleanor invites Catherine to join her for dinner.
3. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
(a) That John will be returning in a month's time.
(b) That John will remain in London indefinitely.
(c) That John intends to ask for Catherine's hand in marriage.
(d) That John has married an acquaintance from London.
4. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) Dinner outdoors.
(b) A day trip to Bath.
(c) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
(d) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
5. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Tour Mrs. Tilney's chambers.
(b) Go for a carriage ride.
(c) Tour the estate's gardens.
(d) Play cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
2. What strikes Catherine as odd about Northanger Abbey?
3. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
4. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
5. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
2. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
3. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
4. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
5. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
6. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
7. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
8. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
9. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
10. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)