|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
(a) Eleanor Tilney.
(b) Mrs. Hughes.
(c) Henry Tilney.
(d) John Thorpe.
2. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(b) A business trip.
3. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
(a) "Sisters and Brothers, Marry You Off!"
(b) "I'll Marry you and be Merry".
(c) "Going to One Wedding Brings on Another".
(d) "Let us Marry One and All".
4. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
(b) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(c) The portrait was quite abstract.
(d) The portrait was in excellent condition.
5. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
(a) Eleanor forgot to inform Catherine of the dinner time.
(b) Eleanor did not dress appropriately.
(c) Eleanor did not pray before eating.
(d) Eleanor rushed Catherine to come to dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John Thorpe headed when he leaves in Chapter 15?
2. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
3. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
4. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
5. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
2. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
3. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
6. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
7. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
8. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
9. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
10. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)