|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
(a) He talks about money far too much.
(b) He is overly attentive.
(c) He is too touchy feely.
(d) He has poor dinner table manners.
2. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) The Thorpe estate.
(b) A castle outside of Bath.
(c) The Allens' estate.
(d) The Tilney's estate.
3. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
4. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
(a) The maid.
(d) General Tilney.
5. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(b) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(c) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(d) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
2. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
3. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
4. When does Catherine receive a letter from James?
5. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
2. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
3. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
4. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
5. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
6. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
7. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
8. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
9. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
10. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)