|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Henry's home?
2. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
(a) For her to arrive on time.
(b) For her to drink.
(c) For her to socialize.
(d) For her to dance.
3. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
(b) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(c) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(d) The portrait was quite abstract.
4. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
(a) That James is gravely ill.
(b) That James and Isabella are married.
(c) That Mrs. Morland is pregnant.
(d) That the engagement between James and Isabella is over.
5. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Morland.
(b) A note from Isabella.
(c) A letter from Henry.
(d) A letter from Eleanor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
2. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
3. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
4. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
5. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
2. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
3. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
4. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
5. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
6. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
7. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
8. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
9. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
10. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)