|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
(a) Five years.
(b) Between two and three years.
(c) Six months.
(d) At least a year.
2. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
(a) To never marry.
(b) To marry for money.
(c) To marry without fortune.
(d) To never be loved.
3. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(b) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
4. How do General Tilney's children act in his presence?
(a) They are flamboyant.
(b) They are quiet.
(c) They are modest.
(d) They are loving.
5. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
(a) James is the victim of a serious misunderstanding.
(b) James has too soft a heart.
(c) James should forget their union immediately.
(d) James must forgive her for her indiscretions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
2. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
3. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
4. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
5. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
2. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
3. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
4. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
5. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
6. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
7. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
8. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
9. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
10. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)