|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) The portraits in the dining room.
(b) Henry and his position with the church.
(c) The size of dining rooms.
(d) Gothic novels.
2. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) The Tilney's estate.
(b) The Thorpe estate.
(c) The Allens' estate.
(d) A castle outside of Bath.
3. After Catherine's departure, how much longer will the Allens stay in Bath?
(a) One week.
(b) A month or so.
(c) A couple of days.
(d) A fortnight.
4. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
(a) A letter for Mrs. Morland.
(b) Her well wishes for the Morlands.
(c) The scarf she knitted for the youngest Morland.
(d) An account of Catherine's stay in Bath.
5. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
(a) She thought him impertinent.
(b) She thought him handsome.
(c) She thought him clever.
(d) She thought him lively.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
4. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
5. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
2. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
3. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
4. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
5. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
6. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
7. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
8. Why does Catherine decide to visit Mrs. Tilney's chambers alone?
9. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
10. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)