|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
(a) Pretend that there are family matters to attend to.
(b) Say she had a previous engagement.
(c) Tell Eleanor that Mrs. Allen needs assistance.
(d) Pretend to be sick.
2. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
(a) "Let us Marry One and All".
(b) "Sisters and Brothers, Marry You Off!"
(c) "I'll Marry you and be Merry".
(d) "Going to One Wedding Brings on Another".
3. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
(a) Between two and three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Six months.
(d) At least a year.
4. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
5. At night, what piece of furniture does Catherine notice in her room in Northanger Abbey?
(a) A chair.
(b) An chest of drawers.
(c) A trunk.
(d) A cabinet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
2. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
3. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
4. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
5. What strikes Catherine as odd about Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
2. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
3. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
4. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
5. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
6. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
7. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
8. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
9. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
10. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)