|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
(a) She thought him handsome.
(b) She thought him clever.
(c) She thought him impertinent.
(d) She thought him lively.
2. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
(a) He has poor dinner table manners.
(b) He talks about money far too much.
(c) He is too touchy feely.
(d) He is overly attentive.
3. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) The Tilney's estate.
(b) The Allens' estate.
(c) A castle outside of Bath.
(d) The Thorpe estate.
4. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(d) A business trip.
5. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
(a) That Eleanor will avoid her.
(b) That Henry is lying.
(c) That Henry must despise her.
(d) That General Tilney will seek revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
2. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
3. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
4. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
5. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
2. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
3. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
6. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
7. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
8. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
9. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
10. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)