|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(b) Do an inventory of her dresses.
(c) Write a letter to her parents.
(d) Pack her belongings.
2. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
(a) The Marquis of Longtown and General Courteney.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His old friends from Oxford.
(d) Lord Dover and his son.
3. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
(b) Only that Isabella is well.
4. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Twelve miles.
(c) Thirty miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
5. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) Her fortune is small.
(b) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(c) The Morlands are strict.
(d) James is arranged to marry another.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
2. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
3. What do Catherine and Henry discuss on the walk?
4. Where do James and Isabella become engaged?
5. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
2. What does Catherine make of the growing attachment between Isabella and Captain Tilney?
3. What tactic does Isabella use in order to convince Catherine to go on the trip to Clifton?
4. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
5. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
6. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
7. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
8. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
9. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
10. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)