|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Go for a carriage ride.
(b) Play cards.
(c) Tour the estate's gardens.
(d) Tour Mrs. Tilney's chambers.
2. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
(a) After breakfast.
(b) Late at night.
(d) Early in the morning.
3. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
(a) John Thorpe.
(b) Isabella Thorpe.
(c) James Morland.
(d) Mrs. Allen.
4. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(b) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
(c) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(d) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
5. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) A day trip to Bath.
(b) Dinner outdoors.
(c) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
(d) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
2. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
4. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
5. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
2. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
3. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
4. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
5. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
6. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
7. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
8. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
9. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
10. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)