|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is William?
(a) The Tilney's servant.
(b) Catherine's brother.
(c) Isabella's brother.
(d) John Thorpe's friend.
2. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Two months.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) Just under a month.
(d) At least another month.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
(a) The pump-room.
(b) Along the river's edge.
(c) At the Allens' residence.
(d) In a shop.
4. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
(a) General Tilney repeatedly refers to Catherine as family.
(b) His fondness of gift-giving.
(c) His constant attention and kindness.
(d) His opinion that Catherine would make a wonderful wife.
5. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
(b) General Tilney.
(d) The maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
2. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
3. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
4. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
5. At night, what piece of furniture does Catherine notice in her room in Northanger Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Mrs. Tilney's death?
2. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
3. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
4. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
5. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
6. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
7. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
8. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
9. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
10. Upon touring the interior of the Abbey, what is Catherine's opinion of the formal drawing-room?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)