|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Morland.
(b) A letter from Henry.
(c) A note from Isabella.
(d) A letter from Eleanor.
2. How does Catherine find the Tilney family dynamic?
3. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) A castle outside of Bath.
(b) The Allens' estate.
(c) The Thorpe estate.
(d) The Tilney's estate.
4. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
(a) General Tilney repeatedly refers to Catherine as family.
(b) His constant attention and kindness.
(c) His opinion that Catherine would make a wonderful wife.
(d) His fondness of gift-giving.
5. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
(a) The Marquis of Longtown and General Courteney.
(b) Lord Dover and his son.
(c) His brother-in-law.
(d) His old friends from Oxford.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
2. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
3. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
4. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
5. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
2. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor speak of Isabella's financial situation?
3. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
4. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
5. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
6. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
7. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
8. Why does Henry believe a liking for flowers is healthy for women?
9. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
10. Why does the General not notice that Catherine is upset at breakfast?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)