|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(b) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
(c) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(d) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
2. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(b) Catherine decides to join them.
(c) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(d) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
3. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(b) General Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Hughes.
4. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
(b) The four greatest comedians in the room.
(c) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(d) The four greatest dancers in the room.
5. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
(b) It is too dirty outside.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) It is too cold outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
2. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
3. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
4. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
5. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
2. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
3. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
4. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
5. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
7. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
8. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
9. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
10. Describe Catherine's family.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)