|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
(a) Back home to Fullerton.
(b) To the nightly ball.
(c) To Lansdown Hill
(d) To Oxford.
2. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) The master of the ceremonies.
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) Mr. Allen.
(d) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
3. Who does Mrs. Allen wish was at the ball?
(a) The Drews.
(b) The Brightons.
(c) The Pattersons.
(d) The Skinners.
4. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
5. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(d) Mr. Allen.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
2. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
3. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
4. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
5. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
2. How does Catherine feel about her brother's engagement?
3. What reason did General Tilney have for sending Catherine away so abruptly?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
5. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
6. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
7. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
8. Upon realizing her suspicions of his father, how does Henry attempt to calm Catherine's overactive imagination?
9. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
10. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)