|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
(a) The dances in Bristol.
(b) Dining in Clifton.
(c) A visit to Blaize Castle.
(d) The country view outside Kingsweston.
2. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides to join them.
(b) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(c) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(d) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
3. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That her appearance is lacking.
(b) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(c) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
(d) That she should keep her distance from his son.
4. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
(a) Her dress is the loveliest in the room.
(b) She secured Catherine and herself the best seats in the room.
(c) Her dress has not been injured.
(d) She has many social connections at the ball.
5. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
2. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
3. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
4. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
5. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
2. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
3. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
4. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
5. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
7. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
8. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
9. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
10. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)