|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(d) General Tilney.
2. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
(a) The pump-room.
(b) To a dress shop.
(c) On a country walk.
(d) To the theatre.
3. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
(a) John Thorpe.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Mr. Allen.
4. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
(a) Repairs a tear in her dress.
(b) Reads her book.
(c) Takes a walk with Mrs. Allen.
(d) Writes a letter to her parents.
5. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
(a) Brown skin with dark eyes and rather dark hair.
(b) Green eyes that sparkle and dark, curly hair.
(c) Fair hair and fair skin.
(d) Blond hair and a fleckly complexion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella write a list of for Catherine?
2. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
3. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
4. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
5. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
2. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
3. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
4. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
5. Describe Mrs. Allen.
6. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
7. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
9. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
10. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)