|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
(c) Riding horses.
(d) Writing letters.
2. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
(a) John Thorpe's.
(b) Mr. Allen's.
(c) Isabella and James'.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe's.
3. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
(a) He himself.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His servant.
4. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
(a) To take Catherine to the pump-room.
(b) To take a walk around town.
(c) To take a trip to Claverton Down.
(d) To take Catherine to buy a dress.
5. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
(a) The country view outside Kingsweston.
(b) The dances in Bristol.
(c) Dining in Clifton.
(d) A visit to Blaize Castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
2. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
3. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
4. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
5. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
2. Describe Mrs. Allen.
3. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
4. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
5. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
6. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
7. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
8. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
9. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
10. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)