|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe has a new carriage to brag of.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe has a new silk dress to brag of.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe has children to brag of.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe has a fortune to brag of.
2. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They attend school together.
(b) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
(c) They met recently at a ball.
(d) They are childhood friends.
3. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(b) Catherine decides to join them.
(c) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
(d) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
4. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(b) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
(c) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
(d) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
5. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine runs to him.
(b) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
(c) Catherine hides.
(d) Catherine smiles and blushes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
2. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
3. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
4. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
5. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine fear is the reason General Tilney has sent her home?
2. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
3. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
4. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
5. Why does Catherine describe General Tilney as 'liberal'?
6. Why doesn't Catherine like historical books?
7. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
8. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
9. At the end of Chapter 14, what does Catherine learn of the trip to Clifton?
10. What does General Tilney do to Catherine in Chapter 28 that is considered very rude?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)