|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(b) That her appearance is lacking.
(c) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(d) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
2. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
3. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
4. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John borrowed it from his father.
(b) John won it in a game of cards.
(c) John received it as a birthday present.
(d) John bought it from a friend.
5. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) At the decorations in the room.
(b) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
(c) Down at the floor.
(d) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
2. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
3. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
4. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
5. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Isabella and James know each other?
2. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
3. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
4. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
5. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
6. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
7. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
8. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
9. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
10. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)