|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Twelve weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
2. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
(a) In a meandering way.
(b) Quietly and calmly.
(c) Exceedingly slowly.
(d) Roughly with great speed.
3. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
(a) To take a trip to Claverton Down.
(b) To take a walk around town.
(c) To take Catherine to buy a dress.
(d) To take Catherine to the pump-room.
4. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They are childhood friends.
(b) They attend school together.
(c) They met recently at a ball.
(d) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
5. Who does Mrs. Allen wish was at the ball?
(a) The Brightons.
(b) The Drews.
(c) The Skinners.
(d) The Pattersons.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
2. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
3. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
4. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
5. Who taught Catherine French?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
2. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
3. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
4. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
5. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
6. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
7. Describe Catherine's family.
8. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
9. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
10. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)