|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Making expensive purchases.
(b) Engaging in political activities.
(c) Mixing with distinguished company.
(d) Telling lies.
2. What does John attempt to sell Henry at the ball in Chapter 10?
(a) A set of riding gear.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A horse.
(d) A set of cufflinks.
3. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) Mrs. Allen.
(b) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(c) Mr. Allen.
(d) The master of the ceremonies.
4. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
(a) Catherine goes outside for some fresh air.
(b) Isabella and James spend time in the tea-room.
(c) The girls dance in different sets.
(d) Isabella feels ill and sits quietly in a corner.
5. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(b) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(c) The four greatest comedians in the room.
(d) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Catherine French?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
3. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
4. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
5. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
2. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
3. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
4. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
5. How do Isabella and James know each other?
6. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
7. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
8. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
9. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
10. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)