Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(b) John Thorpe.
(c) Eleanor Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe.
2. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
(a) Her brother.
(b) John Thorpe.
(d) Mr. Allen.
3. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) An ugly girl.
(b) An awkward girl.
(c) A lovely girl.
(d) A pretty girl.
4. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(b) The four greatest comedians in the room.
(c) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(d) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
5. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(d) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
2. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
3. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
4. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine's family.
2. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
3. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
4. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
5. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
6. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
7. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
8. How does Henry reassure Catherine of his brother's intentions?
9. Why does the General decide to accept a marriage between Henry and Catherine?
10. What does Catherine learn about Northanger Abbey?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)