|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, while riding in the carriage, what topics of conversation arise between Catherine and John?
(a) The weather and Catherine's parents.
(b) James' affection for Isabella and marriages.
(c) Mr. Allen, riches and alcohol.
(d) Catherine's love for Oxford and books.
2. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) The master of the ceremonies.
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(d) Mr. Allen.
3. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Three years older.
(b) Four years older.
(c) Six years older.
(d) Two years older.
4. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(d) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
5. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
(a) Which dress she should wear to the ball.
(b) Whether Henry likes her.
(c) What book she should read next.
(d) Whether James and Isabella are a suitable match.
Short Answer Questions
1. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
2. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
3. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
4. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
5. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
2. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
3. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
4. Describe Mrs. Allen.
5. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
6. Who do Catherine and Isabella meet on the streets at the beginning of Chapter 7?
7. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
8. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
9. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
10. Describe Catherine's family.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)