|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
(a) What book she should read next.
(b) Whether James and Isabella are a suitable match.
(c) Which dress she should wear to the ball.
(d) Whether Henry likes her.
2. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
(a) Reserve a carriage.
(b) Shop for garments to wear to the ball.
(c) Visit a hair salon.
(d) Write to acquaintances who will be attending the ball.
3. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
(a) That they have returned to Gloucestershire.
(b) That they have taken a trip out of Bath.
(c) That they will travel to Bristol too.
(d) That they are caring for their ailing father.
4. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
(a) A stray thread.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A pin.
(d) A feather.
5. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
(b) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(c) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
(d) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
Short Answer Questions
1. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
2. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
3. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
4. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
2. Describe Catherine's family.
3. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
4. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
5. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
6. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
7. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
8. Describe Mrs. Allen.
9. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
10. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)