|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
(a) Green eyes that sparkle and dark, curly hair.
(b) Brown skin with dark eyes and rather dark hair.
(c) Blond hair and a fleckly complexion.
(d) Fair hair and fair skin.
2. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(a) Mr. Tilney.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
3. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(b) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(c) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(d) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
4. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
(a) Twelve weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
5. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
(a) The road is blocked by sheep.
(b) It is too late in the day to continue on.
(c) The group gets lost.
(d) The weather turns violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
3. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
4. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
5. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Northanger Abbey fail to meet Catherine's expectations?
2. What effect does the weather have on Catherine's first night at the Abbey?
3. What about her dinner with the Tilneys caused Catherine disappointment?
4. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
5. Describe the room that Catherine stays in at Northanger Abbey.
6. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
7. What reason did General Tilney have for sending Catherine away so abruptly?
8. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
9. How does General Tilney treat Catherine on their first meeting?
10. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)