|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(a) Mr. Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
2. In Chapter 9, while riding in the carriage, what topics of conversation arise between Catherine and John?
(a) James' affection for Isabella and marriages.
(b) The weather and Catherine's parents.
(c) Mr. Allen, riches and alcohol.
(d) Catherine's love for Oxford and books.
3. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
(a) Catherine goes outside for some fresh air.
(b) The girls dance in different sets.
(c) Isabella and James spend time in the tea-room.
(d) Isabella feels ill and sits quietly in a corner.
4. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
(a) The dances in Bristol.
(b) The country view outside Kingsweston.
(c) Dining in Clifton.
(d) A visit to Blaize Castle.
5. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They met recently at a ball.
(b) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
(c) They attend school together.
(d) They are childhood friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
2. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
3. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
4. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
5. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine's family.
2. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
3. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
4. Describe Mrs. Allen.
5. How do Isabella and James know each other?
6. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
7. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
8. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
9. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
10. Describe Mrs. Thorpe's daughters.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)