|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
2. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
(a) Country air and quiet.
(b) Visiting her school friend.
(c) The dances.
(d) Dining at a famous restaurant.
3. Why does Catherine turn down Mr. Tilney's invitation to dance?
(a) Catherine does not want to encourage Mr. Tilney's affection.
(b) Catherine would rather sit and have a conversation.
(c) Catherine is embarrassed by her dancing.
(d) Catherine must wait for John Thorpe to return.
4. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
(a) That she is most likely deceased.
(b) That she too is in Bath.
(c) That she is from a poor family.
(d) That she has been missing for 2 years.
5. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
(a) Isabella had seen Catherine at the bookstore a few days prior.
(b) Isabella met Catherine the night before.
(c) Isabella is acquainted with Catherine's brother.
(d) Isabella heard of Catherine through Mr. Tilney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
2. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
3. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
4. Who taught Catherine writing and accounts?
5. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine at the age of seventeen.
2. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
4. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
5. What is the result of Catherine's conversation with Eleanor in the pump-room?
6. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
7. Describe Catherine's family.
8. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
9. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
10. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)