|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To meet Isabella for tea.
(b) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
(c) To read her novel before breakfast.
(d) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
2. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
(a) Mr. Allen's.
(b) John Thorpe's.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe's.
(d) Isabella and James'.
3. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
(a) John accompanies his mother to the tea-room.
(b) John disappears into the crowd without explanation.
(c) John leaves, concerned about the health of his horse.
(d) John goes to the card-room to talk to a friend.
4. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
(a) To Lansdown Hill
(b) To Oxford.
(c) Back home to Fullerton.
(d) To the nightly ball.
5. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John received it as a birthday present.
(b) John bought it from a friend.
(c) John won it in a game of cards.
(d) John borrowed it from his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
2. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
3. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
4. What does Isabella write a list of for Catherine?
5. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the apparent relationship between Isabella and James in Chapter 7?
2. Describe Catherine's family.
3. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
4. Does Mr. Tilney feel that women are better at writing than men?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
6. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
7. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
8. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
9. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
10. How did Catherine's family act on the day of her departure?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)