|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
(a) Mr. Tilney's feelings are unknown.
(b) Mr. Tilney's social status is unknown.
(c) Catherine may never see Mr. Tilney again.
(d) Catherine is unsure of her feelings for Mr. Tilney.
2. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That her appearance is lacking.
(b) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(c) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
(d) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
3. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
4. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
5. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
(b) Riding horses.
(d) Writing letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
3. What is the name of the street where Catherine and the Allens stay?
4. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
5. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Henry and Isabella doubt that General Tilney will allow a marriage between Captain Tilney and Isabella?
2. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
4. What convinces Henry of Catherine's good nature?
5. Why was Mrs. Allen not happy at the news of James' engagement and return to Fullerton?
6. What does Isabella's letter to Catherine say in Chapter 26?
7. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
8. How does Isabella justify dancing with Captain Tilney?
9. What reason did General Tilney have for sending Catherine away so abruptly?
10. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)