|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(b) Mr. Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
2. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(b) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
(c) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(d) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
3. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
(a) Mr. Tilney's social status is unknown.
(b) Mr. Tilney's feelings are unknown.
(c) Catherine may never see Mr. Tilney again.
(d) Catherine is unsure of her feelings for Mr. Tilney.
4. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
(a) John accompanies his mother to the tea-room.
(b) John goes to the card-room to talk to a friend.
(c) John leaves, concerned about the health of his horse.
(d) John disappears into the crowd without explanation.
5. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To join them at the theatre.
(b) To visit their home.
(c) To join them on a country walk.
(d) To take a carriage ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
2. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
3. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
4. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
5. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine tell Henry that she cannot dance with him?
2. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
3. Why is Catherine mortified following her visit to the Tilney home?
4. As Catherine is leaving Bath in John's carriage, what happens when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
5. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
6. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
7. Describe Catherine's family.
8. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
10. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)