|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
(b) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(c) To read her novel before breakfast.
(d) To meet Isabella for tea.
2. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(b) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
(c) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(d) Catherine decides to join them.
3. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) It is too dirty outside.
(b) It is too cold outside.
(c) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
(d) It is raining outside.
4. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
(a) Catherine should take a gift.
(b) Catherine should wear white.
(c) Catherine should go with Isabella.
(d) Catherine should smile brightly.
5. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
(a) John Thorpe.
(b) Mrs. Hughes.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe.
(d) Eleanor Tilney.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
2. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
3. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
4. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
5. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine leave the dance early?
2. How does Isabella already know of Catherine?
3. What does the narrator tell the reader about Catherine's character at the start of Chapter 2?
4. How does Henry support his suggestion that a country-dance is like a marriage?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what is Catherine's main concern and why?
6. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
7. Why is Catherine invited to Bath with the Allens?
8. What are Catherine's feelings as she climbs into the carriage for the trip to Bristol?
9. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
10. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)