|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) Ten guineas.
(c) Twenty guineas.
(d) Five pounds.
2. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
(a) John goes to the card-room to talk to a friend.
(b) John disappears into the crowd without explanation.
(c) John accompanies his mother to the tea-room.
(d) John leaves, concerned about the health of his horse.
3. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
(a) Eight weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
4. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
5. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine hides.
(b) Catherine runs to him.
(c) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(d) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do James and John know each other?
2. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
3. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
4. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
5. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Mrs. Allen give Catherine about Henry's mother?
2. What does Catherine tell Mr. Tilney she does not do, and how does he react?
3. How is the character of Mrs. Allen described in Chapter 9?
4. What is puzzling to Catherine about her conversation with John Thorpe on the topic of the carriage her brother drives?
5. What misunderstanding does John apparently have of the Morland family?
6. What explanation is given for Catherine being turned away at the Tilney home?
7. Who does Catherine meet in Chapter 3?
8. What is strange about Isabella's behavior with the two men that show interest in the girls at the end of Chapter 6?
9. How does John treat Catherine at the dance?
10. What comment does Austen make about fashion?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)