|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Pack her belongings.
(b) Write a letter to her parents.
(c) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(d) Do an inventory of her dresses.
2. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
(a) Captain Tilney.
(b) General Tilney.
(c) Henry Tilney.
(d) Numerous men.
3. Who is William?
(a) Catherine's brother.
(b) Isabella's brother.
(c) The Tilney's servant.
(d) John Thorpe's friend.
4. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) Gothic novels.
(b) The size of dining rooms.
(c) The portraits in the dining room.
(d) Henry and his position with the church.
5. What does Catherine imagine of Northanger Abbey?
(a) That it must be in poor condition.
(b) That it must be fashionably furnished.
(c) That it must be like a Gothic castle.
(d) That it must be haunted.
6. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(b) Cold and breezy.
(c) Stormy and windy.
7. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) The Morlands are strict.
(b) James is arranged to marry another.
(c) Her fortune is small.
(d) Her reputation is not as it should be.
8. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Just under a month.
(b) At least another month.
(c) Two months.
(d) A fortnight.
9. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Morland.
(b) A note from Isabella.
(c) A letter from Henry.
(d) A letter from Eleanor.
10. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
(a) Tell Eleanor that Mrs. Allen needs assistance.
(b) Pretend that there are family matters to attend to.
(c) Say she had a previous engagement.
(d) Pretend to be sick.
11. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
(a) That Henry must despise her.
(b) That Eleanor will avoid her.
(c) That General Tilney will seek revenge.
(d) That Henry is lying.
12. After Catherine reveals her suspicions of General Tilney, how is Henry's behavior towards her different at dinner?
(a) He is rude towards her.
(b) He pays her more attention than usual.
(c) He is honest about his romantic feelings.
(d) He ignores her completely.
13. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) Dinner outdoors.
(b) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
(c) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
(d) A day trip to Bath.
14. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) The Thorpe estate.
(b) A castle outside of Bath.
(c) The Allens' estate.
(d) The Tilney's estate.
15. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(b) A business trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
3. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
4. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
5. How does Catherine interpret the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)