|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) How ordinary they are.
(b) How messy they are.
(c) How tidy they are.
(d) How vibrant they are.
2. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
3. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
(a) Eleanor Tilney.
(b) Henry Tilney.
(c) General Tilney.
(d) Captain Tilney.
4. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
(a) Gothic novels.
(b) Long walks.
5. How does Catherine find the Tilney family dynamic?
6. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
(a) To intervene with James.
(b) To apologize to James on her behalf.
(c) To praise her in front of the General.
(d) To burn the letter after reading it.
7. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor begin to talk of Isabella and finances?
(a) Catherine doesn't believe it their business to talk of Isabella's financial situation.
(b) Isabella is much wealthier than Catherine.
(c) Catherine's family is not much better-off than Isabella's.
(d) Catherine does not understand conversations about finances.
8. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(b) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(c) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(d) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
9. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A letter from Henry.
(b) A letter from Eleanor.
(c) A letter from Mrs. Morland.
(d) A note from Isabella.
10. Who is William?
(a) Isabella's brother.
(b) Catherine's brother.
(c) The Tilney's servant.
(d) John Thorpe's friend.
11. What invitation does Eleanor offer Catherine at the end of their walk?
(a) Eleanor invites Catherine to join her for dinner.
(b) Eleanor invites Catherine to Northanger Abbey.
(c) Eleanor invites Catherine for another walk the following day.
(d) Eleanor invites Catherine for a carriage ride.
12. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
(a) That Henry is lying.
(b) That General Tilney will seek revenge.
(c) That Henry must despise her.
(d) That Eleanor will avoid her.
13. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
(a) A broken heart.
(b) A bilious fever.
(d) Small pox.
14. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A large chest.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) A novel she has not yet read.
(d) An old love letter.
15. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) Gothic novels.
(b) The size of dining rooms.
(c) Henry and his position with the church.
(d) The portraits in the dining room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
2. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
3. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
4. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
5. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)