|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
(a) A broken heart.
(b) Small pox.
(d) A bilious fever.
2. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(b) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
(c) Isabella's feelings for him.
(d) Isabella's engagement.
3. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
(a) Pretend to be sick.
(b) Say she had a previous engagement.
(c) Pretend that there are family matters to attend to.
(d) Tell Eleanor that Mrs. Allen needs assistance.
4. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(b) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
5. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) They are dishonest.
(b) They are a strange bunch.
(c) They are excessively proud.
(d) The are ignorant.
6. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
(a) The housemaid opening her window shutters.
(b) A bird in the window.
(c) General Tilney yelling at a servant.
(d) Eleanor knocking at the door.
7. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(b) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
(c) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(d) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
8. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A large chest.
(b) An old love letter.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) A novel she has not yet read.
9. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(b) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
(c) Only that Isabella is well.
10. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(b) Her fortune is small.
(c) The Morlands are strict.
(d) James is arranged to marry another.
11. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
(a) She thought him impertinent.
(b) She thought him handsome.
(c) She thought him lively.
(d) She thought him clever.
12. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
13. How does Catherine find the Tilney family dynamic?
14. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) Henry and his position with the church.
(b) The portraits in the dining room.
(c) The size of dining rooms.
(d) Gothic novels.
15. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
(a) His fondness of gift-giving.
(b) His opinion that Catherine would make a wonderful wife.
(c) General Tilney repeatedly refers to Catherine as family.
(d) His constant attention and kindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
2. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
3. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
4. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
5. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)