|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
(a) Small pox.
(b) A bilious fever.
(d) A broken heart.
2. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Just under a month.
(b) Two months.
(c) At least another month.
(d) A fortnight.
3. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
(a) "Going to One Wedding Brings on Another".
(b) "Sisters and Brothers, Marry You Off!"
(c) "I'll Marry you and be Merry".
(d) "Let us Marry One and All".
4. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(b) Stormy and windy.
(c) Cold and breezy.
5. After Catherine's departure, how much longer will the Allens stay in Bath?
(a) A couple of days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One week.
(d) A month or so.
6. What strikes Catherine as odd about Northanger Abbey?
(a) It is small.
(b) It is unfurnished.
(c) It is haunted.
(d) It is modern.
7. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) A maid.
(b) General Tilney.
8. After Catherine reveals her suspicions of General Tilney, how is Henry's behavior towards her different at dinner?
(a) He is honest about his romantic feelings.
(b) He pays her more attention than usual.
(c) He is rude towards her.
(d) He ignores her completely.
9. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Old love letters.
(b) An old manuscript.
(c) Old domestic bills.
(d) A letter of recommendation.
10. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
(a) A statue of a Tilney ancestor.
(b) A monument to the memory of Mrs. Tilney.
(c) A plaque acknowledging General Tilney's patronage.
(d) A bouquet of black roses.
11. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
(a) The scarf she knitted for the youngest Morland.
(b) An account of Catherine's stay in Bath.
(c) A letter for Mrs. Morland.
(d) Her well wishes for the Morlands.
12. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(b) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
13. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
(a) Captain Tilney.
(b) Henry Tilney.
(c) Numerous men.
(d) General Tilney.
14. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
(a) That John will be returning in a month's time.
(b) That John will remain in London indefinitely.
(c) That John intends to ask for Catherine's hand in marriage.
(d) That John has married an acquaintance from London.
15. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
(b) A day trip to Bath.
(c) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
(d) Dinner outdoors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
2. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
3. What invitation does Eleanor offer Catherine at the end of their walk?
4. What was Isabella's first impression of John?
5. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)