|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
(b) A day trip to Bath.
(c) Dinner outdoors.
(d) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
2. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Go for a carriage ride.
(b) Tour Mrs. Tilney's chambers.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Tour the estate's gardens.
3. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(a) A business trip.
4. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
(a) That John will remain in London indefinitely.
(b) That John will be returning in a month's time.
(c) That John intends to ask for Catherine's hand in marriage.
(d) That John has married an acquaintance from London.
5. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
6. After Catherine's departure, how much longer will the Allens stay in Bath?
(a) A couple of days.
(b) A month or so.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) One week.
7. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
(a) A letter for Mrs. Morland.
(b) An account of Catherine's stay in Bath.
(c) Her well wishes for the Morlands.
(d) The scarf she knitted for the youngest Morland.
8. Where do James and Isabella become engaged?
(b) Beechen Cliff.
9. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(d) Northanger Abbey.
10. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) They are a strange bunch.
(b) They are excessively proud.
(c) They are dishonest.
(d) The are ignorant.
11. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) Isabella's engagement.
(b) Isabella's feelings for him.
(c) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(d) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
12. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
(a) Henry Tilney.
(b) Numerous men.
(c) General Tilney.
(d) Captain Tilney.
13. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
14. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
(b) Beechen Cliff.
15. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(a) Cold and breezy.
(b) Stormy and windy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
2. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. How does Catherine interpret the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
4. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
5. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)