|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) The portraits in the dining room.
(b) The size of dining rooms.
(c) Henry and his position with the church.
(d) Gothic novels.
2. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
(a) That James and Isabella are married.
(b) That Mrs. Morland is pregnant.
(c) That the engagement between James and Isabella is over.
(d) That James is gravely ill.
3. How does Catherine find the Tilney family dynamic?
4. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
5. At night, what piece of furniture does Catherine notice in her room in Northanger Abbey?
(a) A trunk.
(b) A cabinet.
(c) A chair.
(d) An chest of drawers.
6. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) A maid.
(c) General Tilney.
7. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
(a) Mrs. Allen.
(b) James Morland.
(c) Isabella Thorpe.
(d) John Thorpe.
8. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
(a) A bilious fever.
(c) A broken heart.
(d) Small pox.
9. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor begin to talk of Isabella and finances?
(a) Isabella is much wealthier than Catherine.
(b) Catherine does not understand conversations about finances.
(c) Catherine doesn't believe it their business to talk of Isabella's financial situation.
(d) Catherine's family is not much better-off than Isabella's.
10. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
(a) A monument to the memory of Mrs. Tilney.
(b) A bouquet of black roses.
(c) A statue of a Tilney ancestor.
(d) A plaque acknowledging General Tilney's patronage.
11. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(b) Northanger Abbey.
12. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) Her fortune is small.
(b) James is arranged to marry another.
(c) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(d) The Morlands are strict.
13. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
(a) Seven miles.
(b) Thirty miles.
(c) Twenty miles.
(d) Twelve miles.
14. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Only that Isabella is well.
(c) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
15. Where is Henry's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
2. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
3. Who is William?
4. What does Catherine imagine of Northanger Abbey?
5. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)