|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
(b) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(c) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(d) The portrait was quite abstract.
2. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Do an inventory of her dresses.
(b) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(c) Pack her belongings.
(d) Write a letter to her parents.
3. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
(a) To praise her in front of the General.
(b) To burn the letter after reading it.
(c) To intervene with James.
(d) To apologize to James on her behalf.
4. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) Her fortune is small.
(b) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(c) The Morlands are strict.
(d) James is arranged to marry another.
5. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
6. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Old domestic bills.
(b) An old manuscript.
(c) A letter of recommendation.
(d) Old love letters.
7. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
(a) The room was too bright.
(b) Catherine was too restless.
(c) The housemaids were within.
(d) The room smelled strange.
8. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
(a) Late at night.
(b) After breakfast.
(d) Early in the morning.
9. What arrives for Catherine at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A letter from Mrs. Morland.
(b) A note from Isabella.
(c) A letter from Henry.
(d) A letter from Eleanor.
10. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(b) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(c) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(d) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
11. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(b) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
12. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
(a) Being asked to dance by every man at the ball.
(b) Being engaged to Henry.
(c) Discovering a hidden passageway.
(d) Finding a haunted castle.
13. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) How ordinary they are.
(b) How tidy they are.
(c) How messy they are.
(d) How vibrant they are.
14. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
15. Who is William?
(a) Catherine's brother.
(b) John Thorpe's friend.
(c) The Tilney's servant.
(d) Isabella's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
2. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
3. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
4. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
5. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)