|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) Gothic novels.
(b) The portraits in the dining room.
(c) The size of dining rooms.
(d) Henry and his position with the church.
2. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
(a) After breakfast.
(c) Late at night.
(d) Early in the morning.
3. What invitation does Eleanor offer Catherine at the end of their walk?
(a) Eleanor invites Catherine for a carriage ride.
(b) Eleanor invites Catherine for another walk the following day.
(c) Eleanor invites Catherine to join her for dinner.
(d) Eleanor invites Catherine to Northanger Abbey.
4. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(b) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
5. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) A week.
(c) A month.
(d) Six weeks.
6. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A large chest.
(b) A novel she has not yet read.
(c) An old love letter.
(d) A lock of hair.
7. Where is Henry's home?
8. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
(a) Captain Tilney.
(b) General Tilney.
(c) Henry Tilney.
(d) Numerous men.
9. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
(a) James must forgive her for her indiscretions.
(b) James should forget their union immediately.
(c) James is the victim of a serious misunderstanding.
(d) James has too soft a heart.
10. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) How vibrant they are.
(b) How messy they are.
(c) How ordinary they are.
(d) How tidy they are.
11. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
(a) Eleanor did not dress appropriately.
(b) Eleanor rushed Catherine to come to dinner.
(c) Eleanor forgot to inform Catherine of the dinner time.
(d) Eleanor did not pray before eating.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
(a) In a shop.
(b) At the Allens' residence.
(c) Along the river's edge.
(d) The pump-room.
13. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
(b) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(c) The portrait was quite abstract.
(d) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
14. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
(a) "Going to One Wedding Brings on Another".
(b) "Sisters and Brothers, Marry You Off!"
(c) "Let us Marry One and All".
(d) "I'll Marry you and be Merry".
15. How far is Northanger Abbey from Bath?
(a) Thirty miles.
(b) Twelve miles.
(c) Seven miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Catherine reveals her suspicions of General Tilney, how is Henry's behavior towards her different at dinner?
2. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
3. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
4. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
5. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)