|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(c) Northanger Abbey.
2. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
(a) A plaque acknowledging General Tilney's patronage.
(b) A bouquet of black roses.
(c) A statue of a Tilney ancestor.
(d) A monument to the memory of Mrs. Tilney.
3. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor begin to talk of Isabella and finances?
(a) Catherine does not understand conversations about finances.
(b) Isabella is much wealthier than Catherine.
(c) Catherine's family is not much better-off than Isabella's.
(d) Catherine doesn't believe it their business to talk of Isabella's financial situation.
4. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
(a) John Thorpe.
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) James Morland.
(d) Isabella Thorpe.
5. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Tour the estate's gardens.
(b) Tour Mrs. Tilney's chambers.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Go for a carriage ride.
6. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(b) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
7. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(b) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(c) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(d) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
8. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) Isabella's feelings for him.
(b) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(c) Isabella's engagement.
(d) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
9. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(b) General Tilney.
(d) A maid.
10. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
(a) To never marry.
(b) To marry without fortune.
(c) To never be loved.
(d) To marry for money.
11. Where is Henry's home?
12. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) The are ignorant.
(b) They are a strange bunch.
(c) They are dishonest.
(d) They are excessively proud.
13. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
(b) Beechen Cliff.
14. After Catherine's departure, how much longer will the Allens stay in Bath?
(a) A month or so.
(b) One week.
(c) A couple of days.
(d) A fortnight.
15. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(b) Her fortune is small.
(c) James is arranged to marry another.
(d) The Morlands are strict.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
2. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
3. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
4. How do General Tilney's children act in his presence?
5. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)