|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(b) Do an inventory of her dresses.
(c) Pack her belongings.
(d) Write a letter to her parents.
2. After Catherine reveals her suspicions of General Tilney, how is Henry's behavior towards her different at dinner?
(a) He pays her more attention than usual.
(b) He is rude towards her.
(c) He ignores her completely.
(d) He is honest about his romantic feelings.
3. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
(a) The room was too bright.
(b) The room smelled strange.
(c) The housemaids were within.
(d) Catherine was too restless.
4. What is Catherine told was the cause of Mrs. Tilney's death?
(a) A broken heart.
(c) Small pox.
(d) A bilious fever.
5. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
(a) General Tilney.
(b) Mrs. Allen.
6. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) They are a strange bunch.
(b) They are excessively proud.
(c) The are ignorant.
(d) They are dishonest.
7. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
(a) Beechen Cliff.
8. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) At least another month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Just under a month.
9. What is Catherine's reaction to the news conveyed in the letter from James?
(a) Catherine is moved to tears.
(b) Catherine is surprised.
(c) Catherine has no reaction.
(d) Catherine is confused.
10. Who tells Eleanor that Catherine cannot join her for their walk?
(a) Isabella Thorpe.
(b) James Morland.
(c) Mrs. Allen.
(d) John Thorpe.
11. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
(b) A servant.
(c) General Tilney.
12. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(b) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(c) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(d) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
13. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
(a) Eleanor did not dress appropriately.
(b) Eleanor rushed Catherine to come to dinner.
(c) Eleanor did not pray before eating.
(d) Eleanor forgot to inform Catherine of the dinner time.
14. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(b) Cold and breezy.
(d) Stormy and windy.
15. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(d) A business trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
2. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
3. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
4. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
5. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)