|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
(a) That Eleanor will avoid her.
(b) That Henry must despise her.
(c) That General Tilney will seek revenge.
(d) That Henry is lying.
2. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
(a) To marry for money.
(b) To marry without fortune.
(c) To never marry.
(d) To never be loved.
3. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(b) Isabella's engagement.
(c) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
(d) Isabella's feelings for him.
4. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(b) Henry Tilney.
(c) Eleanor Tilney.
(d) John Thorpe.
5. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
(a) That John will remain in London indefinitely.
(b) That John intends to ask for Catherine's hand in marriage.
(c) That John has married an acquaintance from London.
(d) That John will be returning in a month's time.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
(a) Along the river's edge.
(b) At the Allens' residence.
(c) The pump-room.
(d) In a shop.
7. What does Isabella beg Catherine to do in her letter in Chapter 26?
(a) To intervene with James.
(b) To burn the letter after reading it.
(c) To praise her in front of the General.
(d) To apologize to James on her behalf.
8. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Eleanor knocking at the door.
(b) A bird in the window.
(c) The housemaid opening her window shutters.
(d) General Tilney yelling at a servant.
9. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
(a) Being asked to dance by every man at the ball.
(b) Finding a haunted castle.
(c) Discovering a hidden passageway.
(d) Being engaged to Henry.
10. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) A month.
11. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
(a) Numerous men.
(b) General Tilney.
(c) Henry Tilney.
(d) Captain Tilney.
12. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) How messy they are.
(b) How vibrant they are.
(c) How tidy they are.
(d) How ordinary they are.
13. What invitation does Eleanor offer Catherine at the end of their walk?
(a) Eleanor invites Catherine to join her for dinner.
(b) Eleanor invites Catherine for a carriage ride.
(c) Eleanor invites Catherine to Northanger Abbey.
(d) Eleanor invites Catherine for another walk the following day.
14. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Two months.
(b) Just under a month.
(c) At least another month.
(d) A fortnight.
15. When does Catherine receive a letter from James?
(a) At lunch.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) Before bed.
(d) At breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
2. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
3. Where do James and Isabella become engaged?
4. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
5. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)