|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine, Eleanor and the General do on Catherine's first morning at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Go for a carriage ride.
(b) Tour the estate's gardens.
(c) Tour Mrs. Tilney's chambers.
(d) Play cards.
2. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
(a) A monument to the memory of Mrs. Tilney.
(b) A plaque acknowledging General Tilney's patronage.
(c) A statue of a Tilney ancestor.
(d) A bouquet of black roses.
3. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(b) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
(c) Isabella's engagement.
(d) Isabella's feelings for him.
4. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
(b) A servant.
(d) General Tilney.
5. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Only that Isabella is well.
(c) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
6. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
(a) Captain Tilney.
(b) Eleanor Tilney.
(c) General Tilney.
(d) Henry Tilney.
7. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) The Tilney's estate.
(b) A castle outside of Bath.
(c) The Allens' estate.
(d) The Thorpe estate.
8. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) A maid.
(d) General Tilney.
9. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(b) Cold and breezy.
(d) Stormy and windy.
10. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
(a) The Marquis of Longtown and General Courteney.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) Lord Dover and his son.
(d) His old friends from Oxford.
11. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
(a) General Tilney.
(c) The maid.
12. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(c) Northanger Abbey.
13. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
14. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
(a) Six months.
(b) At least a year.
(c) Five years.
(d) Between two and three years.
15. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
(a) Her well wishes for the Morlands.
(b) A letter for Mrs. Morland.
(c) The scarf she knitted for the youngest Morland.
(d) An account of Catherine's stay in Bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
2. What is Catherine's reaction to the news conveyed in the letter from James?
3. Where is Henry's home?
4. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
5. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)