|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovers Catherine in Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(b) General Tilney.
(c) A maid.
2. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A novel she has not yet read.
(b) An old love letter.
(c) A large chest.
(d) A lock of hair.
3. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Just under a month.
(b) At least another month.
(c) Two months.
(d) A fortnight.
4. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
(a) Beechen Cliff.
5. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
6. While admiring the view, what past-time is a topic of discussion with Catherine and Henry?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
(a) The pump-room.
(b) At the Allens' residence.
(c) Along the river's edge.
(d) In a shop.
8. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(b) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(c) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(d) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
9. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
(a) James must forgive her for her indiscretions.
(b) James should forget their union immediately.
(c) James is the victim of a serious misunderstanding.
(d) James has too soft a heart.
10. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) An old manuscript.
(b) A letter of recommendation.
(c) Old domestic bills.
(d) Old love letters.
11. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
(b) Only that Isabella is well.
12. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) Isabella's feelings for him.
(b) Isabella's engagement.
(c) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(d) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
13. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
14. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
(a) That the engagement between James and Isabella is over.
(b) That James and Isabella are married.
(c) That James is gravely ill.
(d) That Mrs. Morland is pregnant.
15. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
(a) Eleanor did not dress appropriately.
(b) Eleanor forgot to inform Catherine of the dinner time.
(c) Eleanor rushed Catherine to come to dinner.
(d) Eleanor did not pray before eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the suspicions she had of General Tilney are revealed, what does Catherine fear?
2. After Catherine's departure, how much longer will the Allens stay in Bath?
3. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
4. Why does Catherine become troubled when Henry and Eleanor begin to talk of Isabella and finances?
5. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)