|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine's reaction to the news conveyed in the letter from James?
(a) Catherine has no reaction.
(b) Catherine is moved to tears.
(c) Catherine is confused.
(d) Catherine is surprised.
2. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
(a) After breakfast.
(c) Early in the morning.
(d) Late at night.
3. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
(b) Beechen Cliff.
4. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
(a) Henry and his position with the church.
(b) Gothic novels.
(c) The size of dining rooms.
(d) The portraits in the dining room.
5. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
(a) To marry without fortune.
(b) To never marry.
(c) To marry for money.
(d) To never be loved.
6. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(b) The portrait was quite abstract.
(c) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(d) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
7. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
(a) Eleanor Tilney.
(b) Captain Tilney.
(c) General Tilney.
(d) Henry Tilney.
8. How does Catherine interpret the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) As sincere and apologetic.
(b) As insincere and mean-spirited.
(c) As grasping and self-serving.
(d) As pathetic and sad.
9. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
(b) A business trip.
10. What do Henry and Eleanor doubt that General Tilney will allow?
(a) Captain Tilney's marriage to Isabella.
(b) A day trip to Bath.
(c) Henry's marriage to Catherine.
(d) Dinner outdoors.
11. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
(b) General Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Allen.
12. Where is Henry's home?
13. When does Catherine receive a letter from James?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) Before bed.
(c) At breakfast.
(d) At lunch.
14. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
15. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(b) Do an inventory of her dresses.
(c) Pack her belongings.
(d) Write a letter to her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
2. When Catherine retires to her room at Northanger Abbey to consider the news from James, why does she feel obliged to immediately leave it again?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
4. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
5. Where does General Tilney suggest the group visit while staying at Northanger Abbey?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)