|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isabella say of James in her letter to Catherine in Chapter 26?
(a) James should forget their union immediately.
(b) James has too soft a heart.
(c) James is the victim of a serious misunderstanding.
(d) James must forgive her for her indiscretions.
2. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) How messy they are.
(b) How vibrant they are.
(c) How ordinary they are.
(d) How tidy they are.
3. What time of day does Catherine leave Northanger Abbey?
(b) After breakfast.
(c) Late at night.
(d) Early in the morning.
4. While admiring the view, what past-time is a topic of discussion with Catherine and Henry?
5. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(b) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(c) The portrait was quite abstract.
(d) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
6. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
(a) Five years.
(b) Between two and three years.
(c) At least a year.
(d) Six months.
7. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) James is arranged to marry another.
(b) The Morlands are strict.
(c) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(d) Her fortune is small.
8. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
(a) For her to socialize.
(b) For her to drink.
(c) For her to dance.
(d) For her to arrive on time.
9. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
(b) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(c) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
(d) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
10. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Only that Isabella is well.
(d) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
11. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Northanger Abbey.
12. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
(a) General Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Allen.
13. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(b) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
(c) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(d) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
14. What news does Catherine receive in her letter from James?
(a) That Mrs. Morland is pregnant.
(b) That James is gravely ill.
(c) That the engagement between James and Isabella is over.
(d) That James and Isabella are married.
15. When does Catherine receive a letter from James?
(a) At lunch.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) Before bed.
(d) At breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine find alone in the breakfast parlor?
2. Where does General Tilney suggest the group visit while staying at Northanger Abbey?
3. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
4. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
5. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)