|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A bird in the window.
(b) The housemaid opening her window shutters.
(c) Eleanor knocking at the door.
(d) General Tilney yelling at a servant.
2. What strikes Catherine as odd about Northanger Abbey?
(a) It is modern.
(b) It is small.
(c) It is unfurnished.
(d) It is haunted.
3. After Catherine reveals her suspicions of General Tilney, how is Henry's behavior towards her different at dinner?
(a) He is rude towards her.
(b) He pays her more attention than usual.
(c) He ignores her completely.
(d) He is honest about his romantic feelings.
4. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Two months.
(c) At least another month.
(d) Just under a month.
5. What invitation does Eleanor offer Catherine at the end of their walk?
(a) Eleanor invites Catherine to Northanger Abbey.
(b) Eleanor invites Catherine for another walk the following day.
(c) Eleanor invites Catherine for a carriage ride.
(d) Eleanor invites Catherine to join her for dinner.
6. How does Catherine interpret the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) As insincere and mean-spirited.
(b) As sincere and apologetic.
(c) As grasping and self-serving.
(d) As pathetic and sad.
7. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
(a) Catherine's feelings for Henry.
(b) James' inability to marry for two to three years.
(c) Isabella's feelings for him.
(d) Isabella's engagement.
8. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
(a) To marry without fortune.
(b) To never be loved.
(c) To never marry.
(d) To marry for money.
9. What surprises Catherine about Mrs. Tilney's chambers?
(a) How vibrant they are.
(b) How messy they are.
(c) How tidy they are.
(d) How ordinary they are.
10. What old song does John mention to Catherine?
(a) "Let us Marry One and All".
(b) "Going to One Wedding Brings on Another".
(c) "Sisters and Brothers, Marry You Off!"
(d) "I'll Marry you and be Merry".
11. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) The are ignorant.
(b) They are excessively proud.
(c) They are a strange bunch.
(d) They are dishonest.
12. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
(d) Ancient edifices.
13. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Old love letters.
(b) Old domestic bills.
(c) A letter of recommendation.
(d) An old manuscript.
14. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
(a) An account of Catherine's stay in Bath.
(b) Her well wishes for the Morlands.
(c) The scarf she knitted for the youngest Morland.
(d) A letter for Mrs. Morland.
15. Who is said to be sometimes left with no companion at all?
(c) Mrs. Allen.
(d) General Tilney.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Tilney family would not be leaving Bath with the rest?
2. Where does General Tilney go by himself for a time during Catherine's stay at Northanger?
3. Where is Henry's home?
4. What do Catherine and the General discuss at dinner?
5. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)