|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Allen regret not being able to send with James back to Fullerton?
(a) A letter for Mrs. Morland.
(b) An account of Catherine's stay in Bath.
(c) The scarf she knitted for the youngest Morland.
(d) Her well wishes for the Morlands.
2. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
(a) A month.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) A week.
3. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) The are ignorant.
(b) They are excessively proud.
(c) They are a strange bunch.
(d) They are dishonest.
4. What wakes Catherine after her first night at Northanger Abbey?
(a) General Tilney yelling at a servant.
(b) The housemaid opening her window shutters.
(c) Eleanor knocking at the door.
(d) A bird in the window.
5. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(b) Write a letter to her parents.
(c) Pack her belongings.
(d) Do an inventory of her dresses.
6. What about Mrs. Tilney's portrait surprised Catherine?
(a) The portrait was in excellent condition.
(b) Mrs. Tilney was extremely fair.
(c) She cannot immediately see a resemblance in her children.
(d) The portrait was quite abstract.
7. While admiring the view, what past-time is a topic of discussion with Catherine and Henry?
8. What does Catherine decide to tell James of the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
(a) Only that Isabella is well.
(b) Captain Tilney deceived Isabella.
9. What reassures Catherine of General Tilney's good intentions of her?
(a) His fondness of gift-giving.
(b) His opinion that Catherine would make a wonderful wife.
(c) General Tilney repeatedly refers to Catherine as family.
(d) His constant attention and kindness.
10. How do General Tilney's children act in his presence?
(a) They are loving.
(b) They are flamboyant.
(c) They are quiet.
(d) They are modest.
11. In Chapter 17, what does Catherine find herself occasionally fantasizing about?
(a) Being asked to dance by every man at the ball.
(b) Discovering a hidden passageway.
(c) Being engaged to Henry.
(d) Finding a haunted castle.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
(a) The pump-room.
(b) At the Allens' residence.
(c) Along the river's edge.
(d) In a shop.
13. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
(d) Ancient edifices.
14. Where do Catherine, Eleanor and Henry go for their walk?
(b) Beechen Cliff.
15. What does Catherine think of Isabella encouraging Capt. Tilney's attention?
(a) That Catherine must be overthinking things.
(b) That she must be doing so unconsciously.
(c) That Captain Tilney must be using trickery on her.
(d) That Isabella is not the person Catherine thought she was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella say will be impossible at the evening festivities?
2. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
3. What do Catherine and Henry discuss on the walk?
4. What is Catherine's reaction to the news conveyed in the letter from James?
5. What is Northanger Abbey?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)