|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion does Isabella have of the Tilneys?
(a) They are excessively proud.
(b) The are ignorant.
(c) They are dishonest.
(d) They are a strange bunch.
2. Besides Henry Tilney, what is Catherine's passion?
(a) Ancient edifices.
3. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) A large chest.
(b) A novel she has not yet read.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) An old love letter.
4. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
(a) He is too touchy feely.
(b) He has poor dinner table manners.
(c) He talks about money far too much.
(d) He is overly attentive.
5. How is Captain Frederick Tilney described?
6. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(b) James is arranged to marry another.
(c) Her fortune is small.
(d) The Morlands are strict.
7. On Catherine's first night at Northanger Abbey, what is the weather like?
(c) Stormy and windy.
(d) Cold and breezy.
8. Why does the General scold Eleanor at dinner?
(a) Eleanor did not pray before eating.
(b) Eleanor did not dress appropriately.
(c) Eleanor forgot to inform Catherine of the dinner time.
(d) Eleanor rushed Catherine to come to dinner.
9. By how long do the Allens extend their stay in Bath?
(a) A week.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) A fortnight.
10. What does Catherine claim to have just learned to love?
(a) Gothic novels.
(b) Long walks.
11. How long will it be before James is financially able to marry?
(a) At least a year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Between two and three years.
(d) Six months.
12. How old was Eleanor when her mother passed away?
13. What does Isabella suggest Catherine do to break her engagement with Eleanor?
(a) Pretend to be sick.
(b) Tell Eleanor that Mrs. Allen needs assistance.
(c) Say she had a previous engagement.
(d) Pretend that there are family matters to attend to.
14. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
15. What collection of documents does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
(a) Old love letters.
(b) An old manuscript.
(c) A letter of recommendation.
(d) Old domestic bills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does General Tilney suggest the group visit while staying at Northanger Abbey?
2. What does Henry assure Catherine that his brother Frederick is aware of?
3. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
4. Where does Catherine refuse to go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. How does Catherine interpret the letter she receives from Isabella in Chapter 26?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)