|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic does Catherine say she is not interested in reading about?
2. Where is John Thorpe headed when he leaves in Chapter 15?
3. What did Catherine see in front of the Tilney pew at church?
(a) A statue of a Tilney ancestor.
(b) A monument to the memory of Mrs. Tilney.
(c) A bouquet of black roses.
(d) A plaque acknowledging General Tilney's patronage.
4. In Chapter 26, what does Isabella's letter to Catherine say about Captain Tilney?
(a) Captain Tilney is a saint.
(b) Captain Tilney is a scoundrel.
(c) Captain Tilney is a gentleman.
(d) Captain Tilney is a cheat.
5. What is Northanger Abbey?
(a) The Tilney's estate.
(b) The Allens' estate.
(c) A castle outside of Bath.
(d) The Thorpe estate.
6. After a month has passed, how much longer does Eleanor extend Catherine's invitation at Northanger Abbey?
(a) At least another month.
(b) Just under a month.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) Two months.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 18, where does Catherine meet Isabella?
(a) Along the river's edge.
(b) In a shop.
(c) At the Allens' residence.
(d) The pump-room.
8. When does Catherine receive a letter from James?
(a) At breakfast.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) At lunch.
(d) Before bed.
9. Why does Isabella fear she will not be accepted by John's parents?
(a) James is arranged to marry another.
(b) Her reputation is not as it should be.
(c) The Morlands are strict.
(d) Her fortune is small.
10. Who seems to be always at hand when not wanted?
(b) The maid.
(c) General Tilney.
11. Who do the Allen's warn Catherine to distance herself from?
(a) Eleanor Tilney.
(b) Henry Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Hughes.
(d) John Thorpe.
12. Who does Isabella dance with in spite of her engagement?
(a) Henry Tilney.
(b) Numerous men.
(c) Captain Tilney.
(d) General Tilney.
13. After receiving her invitation to Northanger Abbey, what does Catherine hurry back to the Allens' to do?
(a) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(b) Write a letter to her parents.
(c) Do an inventory of her dresses.
(d) Pack her belongings.
14. What strikes Catherine as odd about Northanger Abbey?
(a) It is unfurnished.
(b) It is small.
(c) It is modern.
(d) It is haunted.
15. What does Catherine believe is the "wickedest thing in existence"?
(a) To marry for money.
(b) To never marry.
(c) To marry without fortune.
(d) To never be loved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine find in her room at Northanger Abbey?
2. How does General Tilney make Catherine feel uncomfortable?
3. Who had General Tilney hoped to meet in Bath?
4. What does Isabella's letter from John state within?
5. Where does General Tilney suggest the group visit while staying at Northanger Abbey?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)