|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
(a) Blond hair and a fleckly complexion.
(b) Green eyes that sparkle and dark, curly hair.
(c) Brown skin with dark eyes and rather dark hair.
(d) Fair hair and fair skin.
2. Why does Catherine turn down Mr. Tilney's invitation to dance?
(a) Catherine is embarrassed by her dancing.
(b) Catherine does not want to encourage Mr. Tilney's affection.
(c) Catherine must wait for John Thorpe to return.
(d) Catherine would rather sit and have a conversation.
3. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
4. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest comedians in the room.
(b) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(c) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(d) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
5. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(b) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
(c) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(d) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
6. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
7. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Cheap Street.
(b) Victoria Street.
(c) Carriage Street.
(d) High Street.
8. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
(a) The group gets lost.
(b) The road is blocked by sheep.
(c) The weather turns violent.
(d) It is too late in the day to continue on.
9. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
(a) Isabella and James'.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe's.
(c) John Thorpe's.
(d) Mr. Allen's.
10. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
11. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Ten guineas.
(c) Fifty pounds.
(d) Twenty guineas.
12. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
(a) Repairs a tear in her dress.
(b) Reads her book.
(c) Takes a walk with Mrs. Allen.
(d) Writes a letter to her parents.
13. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(b) That her appearance is lacking.
(c) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(d) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
14. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(b) Walk outdoors.
(c) Read her book.
(d) Write letters.
15. What aspect of the trip itinerary interests Catherine?
(a) A visit to Blaize Castle.
(b) Dining in Clifton.
(c) The dances in Bristol.
(d) The country view outside Kingsweston.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Catherine French?
2. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
3. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
4. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
5. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)