|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) It is too dirty outside.
(b) It is too cold outside.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
2. What is the name of the street where Catherine and the Allens stay?
(a) Windsor Street.
(b) Balmoral Street.
(c) Denmark Street.
(d) Pulteney Street.
3. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
(a) His dancing skills.
(b) His hunting skills.
(c) His riding skills.
(d) His conversational skills.
4. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
5. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(c) Mr. Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
6. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(b) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(c) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
(d) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
7. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
8. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(b) Mrs. Hughes.
(d) General Tilney.
9. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
(a) The road is blocked by sheep.
(b) The group gets lost.
(c) It is too late in the day to continue on.
(d) The weather turns violent.
10. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To meet Isabella for tea.
(b) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(c) To read her novel before breakfast.
(d) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
11. When asked what she thinks of John Thorpe, how does Catherine respond?
(a) Catherine smiles and calls him a true gentleman.
(b) Catherine refers to him as an oaffish braggart.
(c) Catherine changes the subject to avoid answering.
(d) Catherine lies by claiming to like him very much.
12. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) Mr. Allen.
13. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
(b) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(c) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
(d) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
14. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) Mrs. Allen.
(b) The master of the ceremonies.
(c) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(d) Mr. Allen.
15. Who taught Catherine writing and accounts?
(a) Mr. Morland.
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) Mrs. Morland.
(d) Her math tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
2. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
3. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
4. Who is James Morland?
5. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)