|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John attempt to sell Henry at the ball in Chapter 10?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A horse.
(c) A set of cufflinks.
(d) A set of riding gear.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
(a) In the street.
(b) At the pump-room.
(c) At the tea-room.
(d) At the theatre.
3. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(b) Mr. Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
4. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
5. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
6. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
7. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
(a) Catherine should wear white.
(b) Catherine should go with Isabella.
(c) Catherine should take a gift.
(d) Catherine should smile brightly.
8. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides to join them.
(b) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
(c) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(d) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
9. To what does Henry compare a country-dance?
(a) A public hanging.
(d) Schoolyard games.
10. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Victoria Street.
(b) Cheap Street.
(c) Carriage Street.
(d) High Street.
11. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(b) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
(c) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(d) That her appearance is lacking.
12. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) An ugly girl.
(b) An awkward girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) A lovely girl.
13. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The washroom.
(c) The tea-room.
(d) The card-room.
14. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They attend the same church.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
(d) They were neighbors growing up.
15. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They attend school together.
(b) They are childhood friends.
(c) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
(d) They met recently at a ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
2. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
3. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
4. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
5. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)