|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Write letters.
(b) Walk outdoors.
(c) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(d) Read her book.
2. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
(b) Horse breeding.
3. Who does Mrs. Allen wish was at the ball?
(a) The Drews.
(b) The Brightons.
(c) The Pattersons.
(d) The Skinners.
4. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
(a) The pump-room.
(b) To the theatre.
(c) To a dress shop.
(d) On a country walk.
5. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(d) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
6. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
7. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
8. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
9. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
(a) One month.
(b) Three months.
(c) One week.
(d) Eight weeks.
10. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
(a) Mr. Allen.
(b) Her brother.
(d) John Thorpe.
11. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
12. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
(a) His father.
(b) He himself.
(c) His sister.
(d) His servant.
13. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They were neighbors growing up.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
(d) They attend the same church.
14. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
15. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(b) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(c) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(d) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
2. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
3. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
4. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
5. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)