|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
(a) What book she should read next.
(b) Whether Henry likes her.
(c) Whether James and Isabella are a suitable match.
(d) Which dress she should wear to the ball.
2. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Twenty guineas.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Ten guineas.
3. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
(a) A dress.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A pair of gloves.
(d) A hat.
4. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(b) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
(c) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(d) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
5. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
6. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(b) General Tilney.
7. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
(a) Dining at a famous restaurant.
(b) Visiting her school friend.
(c) The dances.
(d) Country air and quiet.
8. Who is James Morland?
(a) Isabella's fiance.
(b) Catherine's cousin.
(c) Catherine's older brother.
(d) Catherine's uncle.
9. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Walk outdoors.
(b) Read her book.
(c) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(d) Write letters.
10. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Victoria Street.
(b) High Street.
(c) Cheap Street.
(d) Carriage Street.
11. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
12. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
(b) It is raining outside.
(c) It is too cold outside.
(d) It is too dirty outside.
13. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(a) Mr. Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
14. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
15. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
(b) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(c) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(d) The four greatest comedians in the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
2. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
3. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
4. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
5. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)