|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
(a) In a meandering way.
(b) Quietly and calmly.
(c) Exceedingly slowly.
(d) Roughly with great speed.
2. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
3. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(b) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(c) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(d) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
4. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
(b) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(c) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
(d) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
5. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) A lovely girl.
(b) An awkward girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) An ugly girl.
6. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(b) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(c) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
(d) They are often difficult to comprehend.
7. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(a) General Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Hughes.
8. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
(a) His conversational skills.
(b) His riding skills.
(c) His dancing skills.
(d) His hunting skills.
9. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
(a) The group gets lost.
(b) It is too late in the day to continue on.
(c) The weather turns violent.
(d) The road is blocked by sheep.
10. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe.
(c) John Thorpe.
(d) Eleanor Tilney.
11. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) The master of the ceremonies.
(b) Mr. Allen.
(c) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(d) Mrs. Allen.
12. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
(b) Riding horses.
(c) Writing letters.
13. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(b) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(c) Catherine decides to join them.
(d) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
14. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They were neighbors growing up.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) They attend the same church.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
15. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To visit their home.
(b) To join them on a country walk.
(c) To join them at the theatre.
(d) To take a carriage ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
2. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
3. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
4. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)