|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, while riding in the carriage, what topics of conversation arise between Catherine and John?
(a) Mr. Allen, riches and alcohol.
(b) Catherine's love for Oxford and books.
(c) The weather and Catherine's parents.
(d) James' affection for Isabella and marriages.
2. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) It is too cold outside.
(b) It is too dirty outside.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
3. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her appearance.
4. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To join them on a country walk.
(b) To join them at the theatre.
(c) To visit their home.
(d) To take a carriage ride.
5. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
(a) John leaves, concerned about the health of his horse.
(b) John accompanies his mother to the tea-room.
(c) John disappears into the crowd without explanation.
(d) John goes to the card-room to talk to a friend.
6. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
7. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
(a) "Always wrap yourself up very warm about the throat."
(b) "If you find yourself faint, by all means, clear your dance card."
(c) "Be wary of straightforward men."
(d) "Leave the strenuous activities to the men and horses."
8. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(b) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(c) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
(d) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
9. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Victoria Street.
(b) High Street.
(c) Cheap Street.
(d) Carriage Street.
10. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
11. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(b) John Thorpe.
(c) Eleanor Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe.
12. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
(a) Whether James and Isabella are a suitable match.
(b) What book she should read next.
(c) Which dress she should wear to the ball.
(d) Whether Henry likes her.
13. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
14. What is the name of the street where Catherine and the Allens stay?
(a) Balmoral Street.
(b) Windsor Street.
(c) Pulteney Street.
(d) Denmark Street.
15. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe has a fortune to brag of.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe has children to brag of.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe has a new carriage to brag of.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe has a new silk dress to brag of.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
2. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
3. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
4. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
5. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)