|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
(b) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(c) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(d) The four greatest comedians in the room.
2. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Twenty guineas.
(b) Ten guineas.
(c) Fifty pounds.
(d) Five pounds.
3. What does John attempt to sell Henry at the ball in Chapter 10?
(a) A set of cufflinks.
(b) A set of riding gear.
(c) A horse.
(d) A carriage.
4. Who taught Catherine French?
(a) Mrs. Allen.
(b) Catherine's older brother.
(c) Mrs. Morland.
(d) Mr. Morland.
5. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Three years older.
(b) Six years older.
(c) Two years older.
(d) Four years older.
6. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
(a) His servant.
(b) He himself.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
7. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
8. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
(c) Mrs. Allen.
(d) Mr. Allen.
9. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
(a) Forgotten to pack her favorite necklace.
(b) Forgotten to write down the address of her acquaitance in Bath.
(c) Forgotten her clogs at the inn.
(d) Forgotten to write her contacts in Bath.
10. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
11. Who is James Morland?
(a) Catherine's older brother.
(b) Catherine's uncle.
(c) Catherine's cousin.
(d) Isabella's fiance.
12. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(b) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(c) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(d) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
13. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To read her novel before breakfast.
(b) To meet Isabella for tea.
(c) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(d) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
14. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
(a) Catherine begs for John to stop the carriage.
(b) Catherine tries to hide from their view.
(c) Catherine waves to them.
(d) Catherine jumps off the carriage.
15. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) The master of the ceremonies.
(b) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(c) Mrs. Allen.
(d) Mr. Allen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
2. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
3. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
4. To what does Henry compare a country-dance?
5. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)