|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Henry compare a country-dance?
(c) A public hanging.
(d) Schoolyard games.
2. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
(a) Quietly and calmly.
(b) Roughly with great speed.
(c) Exceedingly slowly.
(d) In a meandering way.
3. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Making expensive purchases.
(b) Telling lies.
(c) Mixing with distinguished company.
(d) Engaging in political activities.
4. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The card-room.
(c) The tea-room.
(d) The washroom.
5. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe has a new silk dress to brag of.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe has a new carriage to brag of.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe has a fortune to brag of.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe has children to brag of.
6. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(c) General Tilney.
7. Who taught Catherine writing and accounts?
(a) Mr. Morland.
(b) Her math tutor.
(c) Mrs. Allen.
(d) Mrs. Morland.
8. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe's.
(b) John Thorpe's.
(c) Isabella and James'.
(d) Mr. Allen's.
9. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) At the decorations in the room.
(b) Down at the floor.
(c) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
(d) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
10. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) High Street.
(b) Carriage Street.
(c) Cheap Street.
(d) Victoria Street.
11. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(b) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
(c) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(d) The four greatest comedians in the room.
12. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
(a) "If you find yourself faint, by all means, clear your dance card."
(b) "Leave the strenuous activities to the men and horses."
(c) "Always wrap yourself up very warm about the throat."
(d) "Be wary of straightforward men."
13. What does Isabella write a list of for Catherine?
(a) A list of things to do that day.
(b) A list of Isabella's favorite things.
(c) A list of books to read.
(d) A list of places to visit in Bath.
14. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Two years older.
(b) Six years older.
(c) Three years older.
(d) Four years older.
15. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
2. What is the name of the street where Catherine and the Allens stay?
3. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
4. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
5. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)