|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
(a) Back home to Fullerton.
(b) To Oxford.
(c) To Lansdown Hill
(d) To the nightly ball.
2. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Three years older.
(b) Four years older.
(c) Six years older.
(d) Two years older.
3. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They were neighbors growing up.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
(c) They went to school together.
(d) They attend the same church.
4. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
(a) His dancing skills.
(b) His riding skills.
(c) His conversational skills.
(d) His hunting skills.
5. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
(a) Catherine should go with Isabella.
(b) Catherine should wear white.
(c) Catherine should take a gift.
(d) Catherine should smile brightly.
6. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(b) General Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Hughes.
7. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
8. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) Mr. Allen.
9. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Twelve weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
10. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
11. Who is James Morland?
(a) Catherine's older brother.
(b) Catherine's cousin.
(c) Isabella's fiance.
(d) Catherine's uncle.
12. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
(a) Isabella is acquainted with Catherine's brother.
(b) Isabella met Catherine the night before.
(c) Isabella had seen Catherine at the bookstore a few days prior.
(d) Isabella heard of Catherine through Mr. Tilney.
13. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(b) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
(c) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(d) They are often difficult to comprehend.
14. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
(a) That they have taken a trip out of Bath.
(b) That they are caring for their ailing father.
(c) That they will travel to Bristol too.
(d) That they have returned to Gloucestershire.
15. Who does Mrs. Allen wish was at the ball?
(a) The Pattersons.
(b) The Drews.
(c) The Brightons.
(d) The Skinners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
2. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
3. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
4. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
5. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)