|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
(a) That she is most likely deceased.
(b) That she too is in Bath.
(c) That she has been missing for 2 years.
(d) That she is from a poor family.
2. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(b) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
(c) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(d) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
3. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
(a) To the nightly ball.
(b) To Oxford.
(c) Back home to Fullerton.
(d) To Lansdown Hill
4. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John borrowed it from his father.
(b) John bought it from a friend.
(c) John received it as a birthday present.
(d) John won it in a game of cards.
5. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Twelve weeks.
(d) Two months.
6. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
(a) John Thorpe.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe.
(c) Eleanor Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Hughes.
7. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To read her novel before breakfast.
(b) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
(c) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(d) To meet Isabella for tea.
8. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Half an hour.
9. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
10. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
(a) Her dress has not been injured.
(b) She secured Catherine and herself the best seats in the room.
(c) She has many social connections at the ball.
(d) Her dress is the loveliest in the room.
11. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
(a) Shop for garments to wear to the ball.
(b) Visit a hair salon.
(c) Write to acquaintances who will be attending the ball.
(d) Reserve a carriage.
12. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
(a) Catherine should go with Isabella.
(b) Catherine should smile brightly.
(c) Catherine should take a gift.
(d) Catherine should wear white.
13. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Making expensive purchases.
(b) Engaging in political activities.
(c) Mixing with distinguished company.
(d) Telling lies.
14. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To take a carriage ride.
(b) To join them on a country walk.
(c) To join them at the theatre.
(d) To visit their home.
15. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They attend school together.
(b) They are childhood friends.
(c) They met recently at a ball.
(d) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
2. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
3. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
4. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
5. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)