|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
(a) John Thorpe's.
(b) Mr. Allen's.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe's.
(d) Isabella and James'.
2. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her appearance.
3. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
4. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(d) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
5. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
(a) To Oxford.
(b) Back home to Fullerton.
(c) To Lansdown Hill
(d) To the nightly ball.
6. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
(a) A ribbon.
(b) A pin.
(c) A feather.
(d) A stray thread.
7. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
8. When asked what she thinks of John Thorpe, how does Catherine respond?
(a) Catherine refers to him as an oaffish braggart.
(b) Catherine changes the subject to avoid answering.
(c) Catherine smiles and calls him a true gentleman.
(d) Catherine lies by claiming to like him very much.
9. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) A lovely girl.
(b) An ugly girl.
(c) An awkward girl.
(d) A pretty girl.
10. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
(a) That she too is in Bath.
(b) That she is most likely deceased.
(c) That she has been missing for 2 years.
(d) That she is from a poor family.
11. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) High Street.
(b) Victoria Street.
(c) Carriage Street.
(d) Cheap Street.
12. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
(b) At the decorations in the room.
(c) Down at the floor.
(d) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
13. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
(a) Forgotten to pack her favorite necklace.
(b) Forgotten to write down the address of her acquaitance in Bath.
(c) Forgotten her clogs at the inn.
(d) Forgotten to write her contacts in Bath.
14. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Walk outdoors.
(b) Read her book.
(c) Write letters.
(d) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
15. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(b) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
(c) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(d) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
2. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
3. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
4. What is the name of the street where Catherine and the Allens stay?
5. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)