|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
2. What does John attempt to sell Henry at the ball in Chapter 10?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A set of cufflinks.
(c) A horse.
(d) A set of riding gear.
3. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
(c) Horse breeding.
4. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
(b) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(c) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(d) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
5. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John received it as a birthday present.
(b) John borrowed it from his father.
(c) John won it in a game of cards.
(d) John bought it from a friend.
6. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
7. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
(a) A hat.
(b) A dress.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A pair of gloves.
8. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
9. Who is James Morland?
(a) Catherine's older brother.
(b) Catherine's cousin.
(c) Catherine's uncle.
(d) Isabella's fiance.
10. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
(a) His hunting skills.
(b) His dancing skills.
(c) His conversational skills.
(d) His riding skills.
11. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(d) Mr. Allen.
12. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
(a) Forgotten to write her contacts in Bath.
(b) Forgotten her clogs at the inn.
(c) Forgotten to write down the address of her acquaitance in Bath.
(d) Forgotten to pack her favorite necklace.
13. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Read her book.
(b) Walk outdoors.
(c) Write letters.
(d) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
14. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
(a) Catherine is unsure of her feelings for Mr. Tilney.
(b) Catherine may never see Mr. Tilney again.
(c) Mr. Tilney's feelings are unknown.
(d) Mr. Tilney's social status is unknown.
15. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
(a) John goes to the card-room to talk to a friend.
(b) John disappears into the crowd without explanation.
(c) John leaves, concerned about the health of his horse.
(d) John accompanies his mother to the tea-room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
2. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
3. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
4. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
5. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)