|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
2. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
(b) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(c) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(d) That her appearance is lacking.
3. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
4. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) Ten guineas.
(c) Twenty guineas.
(d) Five pounds.
5. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her wealth.
6. What does Isabella write a list of for Catherine?
(a) A list of Isabella's favorite things.
(b) A list of things to do that day.
(c) A list of places to visit in Bath.
(d) A list of books to read.
7. In Chapter 9, while riding in the carriage, what topics of conversation arise between Catherine and John?
(a) Mr. Allen, riches and alcohol.
(b) The weather and Catherine's parents.
(c) James' affection for Isabella and marriages.
(d) Catherine's love for Oxford and books.
8. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
9. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
(a) Catherine should take a gift.
(b) Catherine should go with Isabella.
(c) Catherine should wear white.
(d) Catherine should smile brightly.
10. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
(a) That they have returned to Gloucestershire.
(b) That they are caring for their ailing father.
(c) That they have taken a trip out of Bath.
(d) That they will travel to Bristol too.
11. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) It is too cold outside.
(b) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) It is too dirty outside.
12. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John received it as a birthday present.
(b) John bought it from a friend.
(c) John borrowed it from his father.
(d) John won it in a game of cards.
13. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
(b) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(c) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(d) Catherine decides to join them.
14. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) An awkward girl.
(b) A lovely girl.
(c) A pretty girl.
(d) An ugly girl.
15. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They were neighbors growing up.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
(c) They attend the same church.
(d) They went to school together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
2. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
3. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
4. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
5. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)