|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
2. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe has a new carriage to brag of.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe has children to brag of.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe has a fortune to brag of.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe has a new silk dress to brag of.
3. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
4. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
(a) The part with the strange letter.
(b) The part with the mystery box.
(c) The part with the witch.
(d) The part with the black veil.
5. Who reports seeing two carriages waiting in the street after a rap draws her to the window?
(a) Mr. Allen.
(c) Mrs. Allen.
6. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
7. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
(a) Two months.
(b) Twelve weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
8. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
(a) Catherine waves to them.
(b) Catherine jumps off the carriage.
(c) Catherine begs for John to stop the carriage.
(d) Catherine tries to hide from their view.
9. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
(a) Catherine goes outside for some fresh air.
(b) Isabella feels ill and sits quietly in a corner.
(c) Isabella and James spend time in the tea-room.
(d) The girls dance in different sets.
10. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
(a) Forgotten to write her contacts in Bath.
(b) Forgotten to pack her favorite necklace.
(c) Forgotten to write down the address of her acquaitance in Bath.
(d) Forgotten her clogs at the inn.
11. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
(a) To the theatre.
(b) The pump-room.
(c) To a dress shop.
(d) On a country walk.
12. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
(a) The card-room.
(b) The tea-room.
(c) The washroom.
(d) The veranda.
13. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A cigar.
(c) An umbrella.
(d) A newspaper.
14. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
(b) It is too cold outside.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) It is too dirty outside.
15. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(b) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(c) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
(d) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
2. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
3. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
4. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
5. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)