Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(b) John Thorpe.
(c) Eleanor Tilney.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe.
2. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
(a) Her brother.
(b) John Thorpe.
(d) Mr. Allen.
3. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) An ugly girl.
(b) An awkward girl.
(c) A lovely girl.
(d) A pretty girl.
4. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
(b) The four greatest comedians in the room.
(c) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(d) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
5. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(d) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
6. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(b) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
(c) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
(d) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
7. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(b) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(c) That her appearance is lacking.
(d) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
8. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To visit their home.
(b) To join them at the theatre.
(c) To take a carriage ride.
(d) To join them on a country walk.
9. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
(a) To take a walk around town.
(b) To take Catherine to buy a dress.
(c) To take Catherine to the pump-room.
(d) To take a trip to Claverton Down.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
(a) At the pump-room.
(b) In the street.
(c) At the tea-room.
(d) At the theatre.
11. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
12. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
13. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They were neighbors growing up.
(b) They attend the same church.
(c) They went to school together.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
14. Who is James Morland?
(a) Isabella's fiance.
(b) Catherine's older brother.
(c) Catherine's cousin.
(d) Catherine's uncle.
15. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
(a) Dining at a famous restaurant.
(b) Visiting her school friend.
(c) The dances.
(d) Country air and quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
2. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
3. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
4. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
5. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)