|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
(a) Catherine tries to hide from their view.
(b) Catherine begs for John to stop the carriage.
(c) Catherine waves to them.
(d) Catherine jumps off the carriage.
2. What is the name of the village in which Catherine lives with her family?
3. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
(a) One week.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Eight weeks.
4. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) Down at the floor.
(b) At the decorations in the room.
(c) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
(d) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
5. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
(a) Isabella met Catherine the night before.
(b) Isabella heard of Catherine through Mr. Tilney.
(c) Isabella is acquainted with Catherine's brother.
(d) Isabella had seen Catherine at the bookstore a few days prior.
6. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(b) To read her novel before breakfast.
(c) To meet Isabella for tea.
(d) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 10, where have the Allens, Thorpes and Morlands met?
(a) At the tea-room.
(b) At the theatre.
(c) In the street.
(d) At the pump-room.
8. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) High Street.
(b) Cheap Street.
(c) Victoria Street.
(d) Carriage Street.
9. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
(a) Forgotten to pack her favorite necklace.
(b) Forgotten her clogs at the inn.
(c) Forgotten to write her contacts in Bath.
(d) Forgotten to write down the address of her acquaitance in Bath.
10. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Ten guineas.
(b) Twenty guineas.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Fifty pounds.
11. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
(a) To the theatre.
(b) The pump-room.
(c) To a dress shop.
(d) On a country walk.
12. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Mr. Allen.
(d) John Thorpe.
13. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Six years older.
(b) Four years older.
(c) Three years older.
(d) Two years older.
14. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
(a) Mr. Tilney's social status is unknown.
(b) Mr. Tilney's feelings are unknown.
(c) Catherine may never see Mr. Tilney again.
(d) Catherine is unsure of her feelings for Mr. Tilney.
15. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
(a) The card-room.
(b) The tea-room.
(c) The washroom.
(d) The veranda.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do James and John know each other?
2. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
3. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
4. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
5. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)