|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
(b) Down at the floor.
(c) At the decorations in the room.
(d) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
2. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(b) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
(c) Catherine hides.
(d) Catherine runs to him.
3. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Ten guineas.
(d) Twenty guineas.
4. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
(b) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
(c) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(d) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
5. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
6. When Catherine is at the ball, what does she overhear two men call her?
(a) An ugly girl.
(b) A lovely girl.
(c) An awkward girl.
(d) A pretty girl.
7. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
8. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
(a) To the theatre.
(b) The pump-room.
(c) To a dress shop.
(d) On a country walk.
9. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
(a) Her dress is the loveliest in the room.
(b) She secured Catherine and herself the best seats in the room.
(c) She has many social connections at the ball.
(d) Her dress has not been injured.
10. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) Ten minutes.
11. What does Henry do when he spots Catherine at the theatre?
12. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
(a) His servant.
(b) His sister.
(c) His father.
(d) He himself.
13. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Write letters.
(b) Walk outdoors.
(c) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(d) Read her book.
14. Who taught Catherine French?
(a) Catherine's older brother.
(b) Mr. Morland.
(c) Mrs. Morland.
(d) Mrs. Allen.
15. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(a) Mrs. Hughes.
(c) General Tilney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
2. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
3. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
4. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
5. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)