|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(d) They are the stupidest things in creation.
2. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine hides.
(b) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(c) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
(d) Catherine runs to him.
3. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To visit their home.
(b) To join them on a country walk.
(c) To take a carriage ride.
(d) To join them at the theatre.
4. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
(a) Whether Henry likes her.
(b) Whether James and Isabella are a suitable match.
(c) What book she should read next.
(d) Which dress she should wear to the ball.
5. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe has a fortune to brag of.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe has children to brag of.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe has a new silk dress to brag of.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe has a new carriage to brag of.
6. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
(b) To read her novel before breakfast.
(c) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(d) To meet Isabella for tea.
7. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Walk outdoors.
(b) Write letters.
(c) Read her book.
(d) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
8. When Catherine refuses a dance, what does John Thorpe offer to show her?
(a) The four greatest dancers in the room.
(b) The four greatest comedians in the room.
(c) The four greatest conversationalists in the room.
(d) The four greatest quizzers in the room.
9. What does Isabella write a list of for Catherine?
(a) A list of Isabella's favorite things.
(b) A list of books to read.
(c) A list of places to visit in Bath.
(d) A list of things to do that day.
10. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Four years older.
(b) Two years older.
(c) Three years older.
(d) Six years older.
11. What is General Tilney's reported opinion of Catherine?
(a) That she is the finest girl in Bath.
(b) That she should keep her distance from his son.
(c) That she is a fine companion for his daughter.
(d) That her appearance is lacking.
12. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
(b) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(c) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(d) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
13. What busy street is encountered at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Carriage Street.
(b) Cheap Street.
(c) High Street.
(d) Victoria Street.
14. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
(a) That she is most likely deceased.
(b) That she is from a poor family.
(c) That she too is in Bath.
(d) That she has been missing for 2 years.
15. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
2. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
3. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
4. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
5. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)