|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(b) Catherine hides.
(c) Catherine runs to him.
(d) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
2. Who is James Morland?
(a) Isabella's fiance.
(b) Catherine's older brother.
(c) Catherine's cousin.
(d) Catherine's uncle.
3. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
(b) Down at the floor.
(c) At the decorations in the room.
(d) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
4. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Twenty guineas.
(d) Ten guineas.
5. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
(a) Her dress has not been injured.
(b) She has many social connections at the ball.
(c) She secured Catherine and herself the best seats in the room.
(d) Her dress is the loveliest in the room.
6. After she leaves the Tilney home, who does Catherine see coming out soon after her?
(b) Mrs. Hughes.
(c) General Tilney.
7. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To join them on a country walk.
(b) To visit their home.
(c) To take a carriage ride.
(d) To join them at the theatre.
8. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
9. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
(a) Isabella had seen Catherine at the bookstore a few days prior.
(b) Isabella heard of Catherine through Mr. Tilney.
(c) Isabella is acquainted with Catherine's brother.
(d) Isabella met Catherine the night before.
10. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
(a) Reserve a carriage.
(b) Visit a hair salon.
(c) Shop for garments to wear to the ball.
(d) Write to acquaintances who will be attending the ball.
11. To what does Henry compare a country-dance?
(a) Schoolyard games.
(c) A public hanging.
12. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
(b) Horse breeding.
13. What does Mrs. Allen ask Catherine to take out of her sleeve?
(a) A pin.
(b) A ribbon.
(c) A feather.
(d) A stray thread.
14. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
(a) The pump-room.
(b) To a dress shop.
(c) On a country walk.
(d) To the theatre.
15. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
(a) Fair hair and fair skin.
(b) Blond hair and a fleckly complexion.
(c) Brown skin with dark eyes and rather dark hair.
(d) Green eyes that sparkle and dark, curly hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
2. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
3. Why does Catherine turn down Mr. Tilney's invitation to dance?
4. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
5. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)