|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
(a) To take Catherine to buy a dress.
(b) To take a trip to Claverton Down.
(c) To take Catherine to the pump-room.
(d) To take a walk around town.
2. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
(a) The tea-room.
(b) The washroom.
(c) The card-room.
(d) The veranda.
3. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Mixing with distinguished company.
(b) Telling lies.
(c) Making expensive purchases.
(d) Engaging in political activities.
4. Who taught Catherine French?
(a) Mrs. Allen.
(b) Mrs. Morland.
(c) Catherine's older brother.
(d) Mr. Morland.
5. Why does Mrs. Allen not accompany Mr. Allen to the pump-room in Chapter 11?
(a) It is too cold outside.
(b) It is too dirty outside.
(c) Mrs. Allen does not like the pump-room.
(d) It is raining outside.
6. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
(a) She secured Catherine and herself the best seats in the room.
(b) Her dress is the loveliest in the room.
(c) Her dress has not been injured.
(d) She has many social connections at the ball.
7. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
(a) That they are caring for their ailing father.
(b) That they will travel to Bristol too.
(c) That they have returned to Gloucestershire.
(d) That they have taken a trip out of Bath.
8. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
(b) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(c) Catherine runs to him.
(d) Catherine hides.
9. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her appearance.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her family.
10. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Twenty guineas.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Ten guineas.
(d) Five pounds.
11. How much older is Isabella than Catherine?
(a) Six years older.
(b) Two years older.
(c) Three years older.
(d) Four years older.
12. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
(a) Mr. Tilney's social status is unknown.
(b) Catherine may never see Mr. Tilney again.
(c) Mr. Tilney's feelings are unknown.
(d) Catherine is unsure of her feelings for Mr. Tilney.
13. What does Isabelle proclaim to detest as she waits by the side of the road?
14. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
(a) To Lansdown Hill
(b) Back home to Fullerton.
(c) To the nightly ball.
(d) To Oxford.
15. Who does Mrs. Allen wish was at the ball?
(a) The Brightons.
(b) The Skinners.
(c) The Drews.
(d) The Pattersons.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
2. What does Mr. Tilney say the sexes are equal at?
3. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
4. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
5. What separates Catherine and Isabella for a time at the ball?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)