|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
(b) They met recently at a ball.
(c) They attend school together.
(d) They are childhood friends.
2. On the way to Bath, what did Mrs. Allen fear she had done?
(a) Forgotten her clogs at the inn.
(b) Forgotten to write down the address of her acquaitance in Bath.
(c) Forgotten to pack her favorite necklace.
(d) Forgotten to write her contacts in Bath.
3. What does Catherine lay awake for ten minutes debating?
(a) Whether James and Isabella are a suitable match.
(b) Whether Henry likes her.
(c) What book she should read next.
(d) Which dress she should wear to the ball.
4. How long did it take Catherine to learn the "Beggar's Petition"?
(a) Three months.
(b) Eight weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
5. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John borrowed it from his father.
(b) John bought it from a friend.
(c) John received it as a birthday present.
(d) John won it in a game of cards.
6. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
(a) In a meandering way.
(b) Quietly and calmly.
(c) Exceedingly slowly.
(d) Roughly with great speed.
7. How much money did Mr. Morland give Catherine before she left?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Ten guineas.
(d) Twenty guineas.
8. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A cigar.
9. What does Isabella look forward to on the trip?
(a) The dances.
(b) Country air and quiet.
(c) Visiting her school friend.
(d) Dining at a famous restaurant.
10. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Twenty minutes.
11. When conversing, what advantage does Mrs. Thorpe have over Mrs. Allen?
(a) Mrs. Thorpe has a fortune to brag of.
(b) Mrs. Thorpe has children to brag of.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe has a new silk dress to brag of.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe has a new carriage to brag of.
12. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(b) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
(c) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
(d) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
13. Who taught Catherine writing and accounts?
(a) Her math tutor.
(b) Mrs. Morland.
(c) Mrs. Allen.
(d) Mr. Morland.
14. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To join them at the theatre.
(b) To visit their home.
(c) To join them on a country walk.
(d) To take a carriage ride.
15. Why does Mrs. Allen congratulate herself once in the tea-room?
(a) Her dress is the loveliest in the room.
(b) She secured Catherine and herself the best seats in the room.
(c) Her dress has not been injured.
(d) She has many social connections at the ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
2. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
3. What does John attempt to sell Henry at the ball in Chapter 10?
4. Where does John Thorpe offer to take Catherine in his carriage?
5. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)