|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Catherine not concerned by the fashionable young woman on Mr. Tilney's arm?
(a) Catherine guesses the woman is his sister.
(b) Catherine thinks the woman is quite unattractive.
(c) Catherine has been told Mr. Tilney is not married.
(d) Catherine believes the woman is too old to be Tilney's partner.
2. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Walk outdoors.
(b) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(c) Read her book.
(d) Write letters.
3. According to Catherine, why should Isabella not persuade her to feel so much for Mr. Tilney?
(a) Catherine is unsure of her feelings for Mr. Tilney.
(b) Mr. Tilney's feelings are unknown.
(c) Mr. Tilney's social status is unknown.
(d) Catherine may never see Mr. Tilney again.
4. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
(a) His father.
(b) His servant.
(c) His sister.
(d) He himself.
5. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine hides.
(b) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(c) Catherine runs to him.
(d) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
6. Why is the trip to Bristol called off?
(a) The weather turns violent.
(b) The group gets lost.
(c) It is too late in the day to continue on.
(d) The road is blocked by sheep.
7. What does John attempt to sell Henry at the ball in Chapter 10?
(a) A set of cufflinks.
(b) A set of riding gear.
(c) A horse.
(d) A carriage.
8. What advice does Mrs. Allen give Catherine for visiting the Tilneys?
(a) Catherine should smile brightly.
(b) Catherine should take a gift.
(c) Catherine should wear white.
(d) Catherine should go with Isabella.
9. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) The master of the ceremonies.
(b) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(c) Mr. Allen.
(d) Mrs. Allen.
10. How long is Catherine to go to Bath for?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Twelve weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six weeks.
11. Of what skill does Catherine praise Henry to his sister?
(a) His hunting skills.
(b) His riding skills.
(c) His conversational skills.
(d) His dancing skills.
12. While dancing with John, where does Catherine find herself looking?
(a) At the decorations in the room.
(b) The part of the room where she had left Mr. Tilney.
(c) Down at the floor.
(d) Around the room in search of Mrs. Allen.
13. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Half an hour.
14. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
15. Who is James Morland?
(a) Isabella's fiance.
(b) Catherine's older brother.
(c) Catherine's cousin.
(d) Catherine's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
2. What is Mrs. Allen's passion?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Catherine go one afternoon with hopes of encountering Miss Tilney?
4. Whose idea was it for the Thorpes and Morlands to take a trip out of Bath?
5. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)