|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Making expensive purchases.
(b) Mixing with distinguished company.
(c) Telling lies.
(d) Engaging in political activities.
2. How does Catherine feel while in the tea-room at Upper Rooms?
3. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
(a) His father.
(b) His sister.
(c) He himself.
(d) His servant.
4. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
(a) Green eyes that sparkle and dark, curly hair.
(b) Brown skin with dark eyes and rather dark hair.
(c) Blond hair and a fleckly complexion.
(d) Fair hair and fair skin.
5. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Read her book.
(b) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(c) Walk outdoors.
(d) Write letters.
6. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
(b) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(c) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(d) They are the stupidest things in creation.
7. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
(a) Exceedingly slowly.
(b) Roughly with great speed.
(c) Quietly and calmly.
(d) In a meandering way.
8. What does Catherine do in the evening before attending the nightly dance?
(a) Repairs a tear in her dress.
(b) Takes a walk with Mrs. Allen.
(c) Writes a letter to her parents.
(d) Reads her book.
9. John, James and Isabella arrive at the Allens' with what intention?
(a) To take a trip to Claverton Down.
(b) To take Catherine to the pump-room.
(c) To take a walk around town.
(d) To take Catherine to buy a dress.
10. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
11. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
(a) Isabella met Catherine the night before.
(b) Isabella is acquainted with Catherine's brother.
(c) Isabella heard of Catherine through Mr. Tilney.
(d) Isabella had seen Catherine at the bookstore a few days prior.
12. Who does Mrs. Allen wish was at the ball?
(a) The Drews.
(b) The Brightons.
(c) The Skinners.
(d) The Pattersons.
13. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To visit their home.
(b) To take a carriage ride.
(c) To join them at the theatre.
(d) To join them on a country walk.
14. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
15. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her family.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
2. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
3. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
4. What do Mrs. Allen and Catherine have to do before attending a ball?
5. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)