|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Isabella feel that Miss Andrews is lacking?
2. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
(a) Catherine pretends not to notice him.
(b) Catherine hides.
(c) Catherine smiles and blushes.
(d) Catherine runs to him.
3. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
(a) John received it as a birthday present.
(b) John bought it from a friend.
(c) John borrowed it from his father.
(d) John won it in a game of cards.
4. What is the weather like at the opening of Chapter 11?
5. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
(b) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(c) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(d) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
6. What does Catherine learn about Henry's mother from Mrs. Allen?
(a) That she is from a poor family.
(b) That she is most likely deceased.
(c) That she has been missing for 2 years.
(d) That she too is in Bath.
7. What is Mrs. Allen amazed at Mr. Tilney's knowledge of?
(d) Horse breeding.
8. Who taught Catherine writing and accounts?
(a) Her math tutor.
(b) Mrs. Morland.
(c) Mr. Morland.
(d) Mrs. Allen.
9. What does Catherine decide when she sees her friends coming down the road for her in Chapter 11?
(a) Catherine decides to join them.
(b) Catherine decides she will pretend not to be home.
(c) Catherine decides she will not go with them.
(d) Catherine decides to go out and meet them.
10. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Engaging in political activities.
(b) Mixing with distinguished company.
(c) Telling lies.
(d) Making expensive purchases.
11. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They met recently at a ball.
(b) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
(c) They are childhood friends.
(d) They attend school together.
12. Who introduces Catherine to Mr. Tilney?
(a) The master of the ceremonies.
(b) Mrs. Allen.
(c) Mr. Tilney introduces himself.
(d) Mr. Allen.
13. At the close of Chapter 10, what have Eleanor and Henry invited Catherine to do?
(a) To visit their home.
(b) To join them on a country walk.
(c) To join them at the theatre.
(d) To take a carriage ride.
14. Awaking the morning after the ball, what is the first wish of Catherine's heart?
(a) To become better acquainted with Eleanor Tilney.
(b) To read her novel before breakfast.
(c) To dance with Henry Tilney again.
(d) To meet Isabella for tea.
15. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Isabella have to wait for Catherine at the pump-rooms in Chapter 6?
2. Who does Catherine aim to avoid at a ball she attends in Chapter 10?
3. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
4. Who does John Thorpe claim of Henry and Eleanor Tilney?
5. What town is to be the final destination of the Thorpes' and Morlands' trip?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)