|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do James and John know each other?
(a) They have a mutual friend in Bath.
(b) They met recently at a ball.
(c) They are childhood friends.
(d) They attend school together.
2. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
(a) Her brother.
(b) John Thorpe.
(d) Mr. Allen.
3. How does Catherine describe her ideal man physically?
(a) Green eyes that sparkle and dark, curly hair.
(b) Brown skin with dark eyes and rather dark hair.
(c) Fair hair and fair skin.
(d) Blond hair and a fleckly complexion.
4. What does Mrs. Allen call a disagreeable thing to carry?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A cigar.
(c) An umbrella.
(d) A newspaper.
5. What motherly advice does Mrs. Morland give to Catherine before leaving for Bath?
(a) "Always wrap yourself up very warm about the throat."
(b) "If you find yourself faint, by all means, clear your dance card."
(c) "Leave the strenuous activities to the men and horses."
(d) "Be wary of straightforward men."
6. What does Catherine do when she spots the Tilneys in the street?
(a) Catherine jumps off the carriage.
(b) Catherine begs for John to stop the carriage.
(c) Catherine waves to them.
(d) Catherine tries to hide from their view.
7. Roughly how old is Mr. Tilney?
(a) Twenty-two to twenty-three years old.
(b) Twenty-six to twenty-seven years old.
(c) Twenty-four to twenty-five years old.
(d) Twenty to twenty-one years old.
8. Upon their arrival at Upper Rooms, where does Mr.Allen go directly?
(a) The veranda.
(b) The tea-room.
(c) The washroom.
(d) The card-room.
9. Who is James Morland?
(a) Catherine's cousin.
(b) Catherine's uncle.
(c) Catherine's older brother.
(d) Isabella's fiance.
10. What color are the trimmings on the dress Catherine wears when she meets Mr. Tilney?
11. How did Isabella already know of Catherine?
(a) Isabella is acquainted with Catherine's brother.
(b) Isabella heard of Catherine through Mr. Tilney.
(c) Isabella had seen Catherine at the bookstore a few days prior.
(d) Isabella met Catherine the night before.
12. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They went to school together.
(b) They were neighbors growing up.
(c) They attend the same church.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
13. How many children do Catherine's parents have?
14. Where is Mr. Tilney's family based?
15. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
(b) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
(c) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(d) They keep John away for as long as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John's horse lead the carriage?
2. How did John Thorpe acquire his carriage?
3. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
4. Where does John Thorpe disappear to when the group arrives at the dance?
5. Who does Henry say is to blame for denying Catherine's visit at the Tilney home?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)