|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9 and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the novel?
2. After breakfast, what does Catherine resolve to do until one o'clock?
(a) Chat with Mrs. Allen.
(b) Write letters.
(c) Read her book.
(d) Walk outdoors.
3. What courtesy do Isabelle and James grant Catherine at the dance?
(a) They keep John away for as long as possible.
(b) They arrange a dance with Mr. Tilney.
(c) They delay dancing so as not to leave her on her own.
(d) They let her have the best seat from which to watch for Mr. Tilney.
4. What part of Udolpho does Catherine read to before meeting Isabella in Chapter 6?
(a) The part with the witch.
(b) The part with the mystery box.
(c) The part with the black veil.
(d) The part with the strange letter.
5. How do Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Thorpe know each other?
(a) They were neighbors growing up.
(b) They went to school together.
(c) They attend the same church.
(d) Mrs. Thorpe was once engaged to Mr. Allen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Thorpe's company inspire in Catherine?
2. How does Catherine react when she spots Mr. Tilney at the dance?
3. What does Isabella write a list of for Catherine?
4. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
5. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)