|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16, 17, 18, and 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With but a few exceptions, what is John's opinion of novels?
(a) They are often difficult to comprehend.
(b) That no matter what critics say, every novel has value.
(c) They are the stupidest things in creation.
(d) They offer glimpses into worlds he can only dream of.
2. What does Catherine fear General Tilney dislikes about her?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her wealth.
3. What is it said that Catherine's family are not in the habit of doing in order to increase their importance?
(a) Mixing with distinguished company.
(b) Telling lies.
(c) Making expensive purchases.
(d) Engaging in political activities.
4. Why does Catherine turn down Mr. Tilney's invitation to dance?
(a) Catherine would rather sit and have a conversation.
(b) Catherine does not want to encourage Mr. Tilney's affection.
(c) Catherine must wait for John Thorpe to return.
(d) Catherine is embarrassed by her dancing.
5. At the dance in Chapter 8, who is Catherine's only company for most of the evening?
(b) Mr. Tilney.
(c) Mrs. Thorpe and Mrs. Allen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isabella see in a shop window on Milsom Street that she thinks is pretty?
2. In Chapter 9, while riding in the carriage, what topics of conversation arise between Catherine and John?
3. What does Catherine imagine of Northanger Abbey?
4. What word does John Thorpe use to describe James' carriage?
5. Who does Catherine see speaking with General Tilney?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)