|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas find out Boucher has died?
2. For what reason is the inquest into Leonards' death stopped?
3. How does Nicholas feel about books?
4. Who inherits Mr. Bell's fortune?
5. What causes Frederick to leave town in a hurry?
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Identify which character is the strongest in "North and South," and present an argument making your case. Make sure to cite at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)