|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Thornton afraid to hire Nicholas?
2. What causes Frederick to leave town in a hurry?
3. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
5. Who fails to show up at the meeting between Margaret and Mr. Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
2. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
3. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
4. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
5. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
6. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
7. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
8. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
9. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
10. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene of Henry Lennox' first romantic confession to Margaret and what happens afterward. What does Gaskell do to create the tone? What do the different characters' reactions immediately after tell us about their personalities? How does what happens afterward foreshadow what happens later in the text, if at all?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)