|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Thornton struggling with his business?
2. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
3. Why is Mr. Thornton afraid to hire Nicholas?
4. Why does Frederick need to hire a lawyer?
5. Who brings all the gossip from Milton to Margaret during a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
2. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
3. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
4. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
5. What did Bessy make Mary promise to her as she was dying?
6. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
7. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
8. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
9. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
10. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the social norms in the North and the social norms in the South, according to what is written in the novel. Make sure to use specific quotations from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)