|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Bell think Margaret must have been at the train station with?
2. Where does Mrs. Hale die?
3. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
4. Who tells Margaret about her father's death?
5. What caused Mr. Thornton to realize his workers needed a dining room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
2. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
4. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
5. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
6. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
7. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
8. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
9. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
10. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Thornton, both mothers of two main characters. Make sure to discuss how their children (Margaret and Mr. Thornton) reflect parts of their character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)