|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
2. Why does Nicholas want to move south after Boucher dies?
3. Why does Nicholas ask Mr. Thornton for work?
4. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
5. Why does Mr. Lennox take Margaret to the seaside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
2. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
3. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
4. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
5. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
6. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
7. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
8. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
9. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
10. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In "North and South," many of the characters are shockingly stubborn in the face of information that should otherwise lead them to think or act differently. Choose 3 different characters from the novel and discuss one instance where each character is stubborn and the reasons behind that stubbornness.
Essay Topic 3
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)