|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
2. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
3. Who informs Margaret that Bessy has died?
4. What are the names of Frederick's children?
5. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
2. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
3. What did Bessy make Mary promise to her as she was dying?
4. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
5. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
6. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
7. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
8. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
9. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
10. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Margaret at the beginning of the novel with the character of Margaret at the end of the novel. What is different? What is the same? How has she changed and grown? What were the causes of that growth?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)