|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
2. Where does Mrs. Hale die?
3. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
4. Whom does Mr. Bell think Margaret must have been at the train station with?
5. What false errand does Margaret apologize for sending Nicholas on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
2. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
3. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
4. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
5. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
6. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
7. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
8. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
9. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
10. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the novel and Margaret's decision to be with Mr. Thornton. Is this choice in the best interest of her character? Is it what she wants? Is it in the best interest of Mr. Thornton's character? Is it what he wants? Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
Essay Topic 3
What message is Glaskell trying to convey to the reader about socioeconomic class issues in England during this time? Use 3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)