|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leonards die?
2. How does Nicholas feel about books?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton know that Mr. Thornton's original proposal to Margaret has not gone well?
4. What caused Mr. Thornton to realize his workers needed a dining room?
5. When the novel ends, whom is Margaret embracing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
2. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
3. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
4. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
5. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
6. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
7. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
8. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
9. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
10. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Name and discuss at least 3 instances where religion appears in the text and what message Gaskell is conveying to the reader through these instances.
Essay Topic 3
What message is Glaskell trying to convey to the reader about socioeconomic class issues in England during this time? Use 3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)