|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas ask Mr. Thornton for work?
2. Where does Mr. Hale pass away?
3. How does Leonards die?
4. Where does Mrs. Hale die?
5. Who inherits Mr. Bell's fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
2. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
3. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
4. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
5. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
6. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
7. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
8. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
9. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
10. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the social norms in the North and the social norms in the South, according to what is written in the novel. Make sure to use specific quotations from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)