|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
2. Who informs Margaret that Bessy has died?
3. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
4. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
5. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
2. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
3. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
4. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
5. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
6. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
7. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
8. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
9. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
10. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and discuss at least 3 instances where religion appears in the text and what message Gaskell is conveying to the reader through these instances.
Essay Topic 2
In "North and South," many of the characters are shockingly stubborn in the face of information that should otherwise lead them to think or act differently. Choose 3 different characters from the novel and discuss one instance where each character is stubborn and the reasons behind that stubbornness.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)