|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
2. Where does Frederick ultimately decide to live?
3. Who calls a doctor for Mrs. Boucher when she becomes ill?
4. Why has Leonards come to London?
5. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
2. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
3. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
4. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
5. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
6. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
7. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
8. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
9. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
10. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 3
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)