|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Nicholas wait with the porter to ask Mr. Thornton for a job?
2. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
3. How does Mrs. Hale feel about her son's return to the Hale house?
4. When the novel ends, whom is Margaret embracing?
5. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
2. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
3. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
4. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
5. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
6. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
7. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
8. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
9. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
10. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Margaret at the beginning of the novel with the character of Margaret at the end of the novel. What is different? What is the same? How has she changed and grown? What were the causes of that growth?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)