|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Margaret go to see the dying Mr. Bell?
2. Where does Mr. Hale pass away?
3. Why does Nicholas want to move south after Boucher dies?
4. Who walks in on Margaret just as she is complaining about Mr. Thornton's not giving Nicholas a job?
5. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
2. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
3. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
4. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
5. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
6. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
7. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
8. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
9. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
10. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 3
What message is Glaskell trying to convey to the reader about socioeconomic class issues in England during this time? Use 3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)