|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
2. Why has Leonards come to London?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton react to the news that Margaret was seen at the train station with an unknown man?
4. How does Margaret feel about Frederick's return?
5. Who calls a doctor for Mrs. Boucher when she becomes ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Identify which character is the strongest in "North and South," and present an argument making your case. Make sure to cite at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)