|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas ask Mr. Thornton for work?
2. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
3. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
4. Who calls a doctor for Mrs. Boucher when she becomes ill?
5. Who else sees Margaret at the train station with Frederick?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the novel and Margaret's decision to be with Mr. Thornton. Is this choice in the best interest of her character? Is it what she wants? Is it in the best interest of Mr. Thornton's character? Is it what he wants? Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scene where Margaret breaks the news to her mother that the family will be moving to Milton. Pay particular attention to the use of foreshadowing, analyzing how what happens during this scene (and between the characters) foreshadows what is to come later in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Identify which character is the strongest in "North and South," and present an argument making your case. Make sure to cite at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)