|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Margaret feel when she returns from the seaside?
2. How does Nicholas find out Boucher has died?
3. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
4. Why does Mr. Thornton come to London after he decides to give up his business?
5. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene where Margaret breaks the news to her mother that the family will be moving to Milton. Pay particular attention to the use of foreshadowing, analyzing how what happens during this scene (and between the characters) foreshadows what is to come later in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Margaret at the beginning of the novel with the character of Margaret at the end of the novel. What is different? What is the same? How has she changed and grown? What were the causes of that growth?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)