|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
2. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
3. Who tells a police officer that Margaret was at the train station with a young man?
4. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
5. Who suggests that Frederick hire a lawyer?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene of Henry Lennox' first romantic confession to Margaret and what happens afterward. What does Gaskell do to create the tone? What do the different characters' reactions immediately after tell us about their personalities? How does what happens afterward foreshadow what happens later in the text, if at all?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)