|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Boucher react to the news that her husband is dead?
2. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
3. What is the name of Frederick's young new wife?
4. Who else sees Margaret at the train station with Frederick?
5. How long does Nicholas wait with the porter to ask Mr. Thornton for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
2. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
3. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
4. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
5. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
6. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
7. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
8. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
9. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
10. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Thornton, both mothers of two main characters. Make sure to discuss how their children (Margaret and Mr. Thornton) reflect parts of their character.
Essay Topic 2
In "North and South," many of the characters are shockingly stubborn in the face of information that should otherwise lead them to think or act differently. Choose 3 different characters from the novel and discuss one instance where each character is stubborn and the reasons behind that stubbornness.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)