|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bessy?
2. Who is Dixon?
3. Who is Fanny?
4. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
5. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
2. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
3. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
4. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
5. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
6. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
7. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
8. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
9. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
10. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one symbol from the novel, and discuss at least 3 instances where it appears or is used. Also discuss its significance and meaning in each appearance.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)