|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
2. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
3. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
4. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
5. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
2. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
5. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
6. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
7. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
8. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
9. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
10. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
Essay Topic 1
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss at least 3 instances where religion appears in the text and what message Gaskell is conveying to the reader through these instances.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)