|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Hales stop for a few days on their way to Milton?
2. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
3. During dinner with Mr. Thornton at their home, who admits to not liking the dirty air in Milton?
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
5. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
2. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
3. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
5. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
6. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
7. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
8. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
9. What was Frederick on trial for?
10. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene where Margaret breaks the news to her mother that the family will be moving to Milton. Pay particular attention to the use of foreshadowing, analyzing how what happens during this scene (and between the characters) foreshadows what is to come later in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of the novel and Margaret's decision to be with Mr. Thornton. Is this choice in the best interest of her character? Is it what she wants? Is it in the best interest of Mr. Thornton's character? Is it what he wants? Make sure to use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene of Henry Lennox' first romantic confession to Margaret and what happens afterward. What does Gaskell do to create the tone? What do the different characters' reactions immediately after tell us about their personalities? How does what happens afterward foreshadow what happens later in the text, if at all?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)