|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
2. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
3. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
5. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
2. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
3. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
4. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
5. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
6. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
7. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
8. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
9. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
10. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and discuss at least 3 instances where religion appears in the text and what message Gaskell is conveying to the reader through these instances.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one symbol from the novel, and discuss at least 3 instances where it appears or is used. Also discuss its significance and meaning in each appearance.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)