|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
2. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
3. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
4. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
5. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
2. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
4. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
6. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
7. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
8. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
9. What was Frederick on trial for?
10. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify which character is the strongest in "North and South," and present an argument making your case. Make sure to cite at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)