|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
2. Who is Mr. Bell?
3. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
4. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
5. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
2. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
3. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
4. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
5. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
6. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
7. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
8. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
9. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
10. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that the character of Frederick plays in the story of "North and South" and at least 3 unique functions that this character serves within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)