|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
2. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
3. Who is Bessy?
4. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
5. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
2. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
3. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
4. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
5. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
6. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
7. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
8. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
9. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
10. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)