|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
2. How did Bessy become ill?
3. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
4. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
5. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
2. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
5. What was Frederick on trial for?
6. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
7. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
8. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
9. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
10. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life story of John Thornton and how it relates to one of the central themes of the novel. Use specific quotations from the text in your paper.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that the character of Frederick plays in the story of "North and South" and at least 3 unique functions that this character serves within the text.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)