|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
2. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
3. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
4. Who is Bessy?
5. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
2. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
3. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
4. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
5. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
6. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
7. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
8. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
9. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
10. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 2
Identify which character is the strongest in "North and South," and present an argument making your case. Make sure to cite at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)