|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
2. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
3. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
4. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
5. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
2. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
3. What was Frederick on trial for?
4. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
5. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
6. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
7. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
8. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
9. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
10. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scene where Margaret breaks the news to her mother that the family will be moving to Milton. Pay particular attention to the use of foreshadowing, analyzing how what happens during this scene (and between the characters) foreshadows what is to come later in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)