|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
2. Who is Mary?
3. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
4. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
5. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
2. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
5. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
6. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
7. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
8. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
9. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
10. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the generational conflict between the character of "North and South" and what these conflicts convey to the reader about past and present.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Thornton, both mothers of two main characters. Make sure to discuss how their children (Margaret and Mr. Thornton) reflect parts of their character.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)