|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
2. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
3. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
4. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
5. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
2. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
3. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
4. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
5. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
6. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
7. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
8. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
9. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
10. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)