|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
2. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
3. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
4. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
5. Who is Mr. Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
2. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
3. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
4. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
5. What was Frederick on trial for?
6. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
7. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
8. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
9. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
10. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scene where Margaret breaks the news to her mother that the family will be moving to Milton. Pay particular attention to the use of foreshadowing, analyzing how what happens during this scene (and between the characters) foreshadows what is to come later in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene of Henry Lennox' first romantic confession to Margaret and what happens afterward. What does Gaskell do to create the tone? What do the different characters' reactions immediately after tell us about their personalities? How does what happens afterward foreshadow what happens later in the text, if at all?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)