|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
2. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
3. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
4. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
5. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
2. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
3. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
5. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
6. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
7. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
8. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
9. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
10. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Identify which character is the strongest in "North and South," and present an argument making your case. Make sure to cite at least 3 examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)