|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
2. During dinner at the Hales', who does Mr. Thornton say has an easy life?
3. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
4. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
5. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
2. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
3. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
4. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
5. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
6. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
7. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
8. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
9. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
10. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss at least 3 instances where religion appears in the text and what message Gaskell is conveying to the reader through these instances.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)