Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
2. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
3. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
4. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
5. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
2. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
5. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
6. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
7. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
8. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
9. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
10. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene of Henry Lennox' first romantic confession to Margaret and what happens afterward. What does Gaskell do to create the tone? What do the different characters' reactions immediately after tell us about their personalities? How does what happens afterward foreshadow what happens later in the text, if at all?
Essay Topic 2
Identify at least 3 instances where Margaret inserts herself into the world of men in the novel, and discuss how her doing so goes against the gender norms of the time.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Margaret at the beginning of the novel with the character of Margaret at the end of the novel. What is different? What is the same? How has she changed and grown? What were the causes of that growth?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)