|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
2. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
3. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
4. How did Bessy become ill?
5. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
2. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
3. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
4. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
6. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
7. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
8. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
9. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
10. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the character of Bessy and what happens to her in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the scene where Margaret breaks the news to her mother that the family will be moving to Milton. Pay particular attention to the use of foreshadowing, analyzing how what happens during this scene (and between the characters) foreshadows what is to come later in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)