|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
2. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
3. In what country does "North and South" take place?
4. Who is Bessy?
5. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
2. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
3. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
4. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
5. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
6. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
7. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
8. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
9. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
10. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and discuss at least 3 instances where religion appears in the text and what message Gaskell is conveying to the reader through these instances.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Margaret and her mother. Make sure to use direct quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Hale within the context of their marriage. How are they similar? How are they different? How do they function as individuals? How do they function as a married unit? What do they provide for each other? What do they take away?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)