|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
2. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
3. Who is Mr. Bell?
4. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
5. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
2. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
3. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
4. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
5. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
6. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
7. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
8. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
9. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
10. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that the character of Frederick plays in the story of "North and South" and at least 3 unique functions that this character serves within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character who is weak at the beginning of the novel and becomes strong by the end; discuss the 3 most pivotal moments of growth for this character; and use direct quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
What is the underlying source of tension between Mrs. Thornton and her son? Use at least 3 examples from the text, including direct citations, to support your argument.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)