|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Mr. Bell and Margaret communicate once they depart?
(a) Through letters.
(b) Through e-mail.
(c) Through the phone.
(d) Through singing telegrams.
2. How does Margaret feel when she returns from the seaside?
(a) Much healthier.
(b) Very achy from all the cold swimming.
(c) Much more depressed.
(d) Very achy from all the cold fog in the mornings.
3. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
(c) Cherry liquor.
4. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
(a) If she were a little smarter.
(b) If she were prettier.
(c) If she were from Milton.
(d) If she weren't so bossy.
5. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
(c) His servant.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Thornton come to London after he decides to give up his business?
2. What new role does Margaret play in Mr. Thornton's life after Mr. Bell dies?
3. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
4. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
5. How does Mrs. Thornton react to the news that Margaret was seen at the train station with an unknown man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
2. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
4. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
5. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
6. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
7. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
8. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
9. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
10. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)