|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks Mrs. Thornton to visit the dying Mrs. Hale?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Hale.
2. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
(a) Because shse thinks her husband is an idiot.
(b) Because she will need a mother.
(c) Because she knows she needs money.
(d) Because Margaret has a tendency to disregard the rules.
3. Why is Mr. Thornton afraid to hire Nicholas?
(a) Because he has a raging temper.
(b) Because he steals things all the time.
(c) Because he is a powerful union man.
(d) Because he will bully other workers at the mill.
4. How long does Nicholas wait with the porter to ask Mr. Thornton for a job?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Five hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) One minute.
5. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
(a) He leaves and goes to another car.
(b) He hides behind his newspaper.
(c) He gets off, even though it's not his proper stop.
(d) He punches Mr. Bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Margaret feel about Frederick's return?
2. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
3. How does Nicholas feel about books?
4. Why is Mr. Thornton struggling with his business?
5. Why does Mr. Thornton come to London after he decides to give up his business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
2. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
3. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
4. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
5. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
6. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
7. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
8. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
9. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
10. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)