|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Margaret's house to inquire about her health?
(a) The minister.
(b) The tailor.
(c) The mailman.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
2. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
(a) Because shse thinks her husband is an idiot.
(b) Because she knows she needs money.
(c) Because she will need a mother.
(d) Because Margaret has a tendency to disregard the rules.
3. Who attacks Frederick at the train station?
(b) Frederick's old high school girlfriend.
(d) The police.
4. For what reason is the inquest into Leonards' death stopped?
(a) For lack of medical evidence.
(b) Because it is ruled an accident.
(c) Because the witnesses keep changing their stories.
(d) Because Margaret won't cooperate.
5. Whom does Mr. Bell arrange for Margaret to stay with after her father passes away?
(a) The nuns at the nunnery.
(c) The Lennox family.
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informs Margaret that Bessy has died?
2. Who asks Mrs. Thornton to visit the dying Mrs. Hale?
3. When the novel ends, whom is Margaret embracing?
4. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
5. Who looks after the Boucher children while Mrs. Boucher is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
2. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
3. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
4. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
5. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
6. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
7. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
8. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
9. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
10. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)