|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) His servant.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
2. Whom does Mr. Bell think Margaret must have been at the train station with?
(a) Henry Lennox.
(b) Her father.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
3. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He agrees with everything she says.
(b) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(c) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
(d) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
4. Where does Mrs. Hale die?
(a) Outside on the sidewalk.
(b) At home.
(c) On Frederick's famous ship.
(d) In the hospital.
5. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) He goes by himself because he is technically in hiding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
2. What causes Frederick to leave town in a hurry?
3. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
5. Where does Mr. Hale pass away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
2. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
3. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
4. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
5. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
6. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
7. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
8. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
9. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
10. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)