|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Leonards?
(a) Margaret's private tutor.
(b) Margaret's long-lost secret brother.
(c) A navy pal of Frederick.
(d) Mr. Hale's best friend.
2. How does Mrs. Thornton know that Mr. Thornton's original proposal to Margaret has not gone well?
(a) Her daughter tells her.
(b) She just has a feeling.
(c) Margaret tells her.
(d) The look on his face.
3. Who does Frederick see about his legal problems?
(a) The mayor.
(b) A private investigator.
(c) A judge.
(d) Mr. Lennox.
4. During Frederick's first night home, how does the family interact?
5. Who does Nicholas throw violently across the room after Bessy dies?
(c) Three police officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
2. Why does Frederick not contact Margaret when he is in London?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton react to the news that Margaret was seen at the train station with an unknown man?
4. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
5. Whom does Mr. Thornton tell first that he must give up his business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
2. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
3. What did Bessy make Mary promise to her as she was dying?
4. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
5. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
6. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
7. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
8. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
9. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
10. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)