|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nicholas need the job with Mr. Thornton?
(a) Because he wants to buy jewelry for Margaret.
(b) Because he is homeless.
(c) Because he wants to look after Boucher's family.
(d) Because he is severely in debt.
2. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
(d) Runs out the back door.
3. Why does Mr. Thornton come to London after he decides to give up his business?
(a) To steal money from a big bank.
(b) To see his lawyer.
(c) To find wealthier investors who can bail him out.
(d) To find a new place to live.
4. What false errand does Margaret apologize for sending Nicholas on?
(a) Trying to adop the Boucher children.
(b) Talking to her father about their possibly getting married.
(c) Asking Mr. Thornton for a job.
(d) Trying to get into Mrs. Thornton's dinner party.
5. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
(a) Of not taking her reputation seriously.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Of being a free spirit.
(d) Of seeing another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of Frederick's children?
2. Who asks Mrs. Thornton to visit the dying Mrs. Hale?
3. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
4. At the large dinner party with the Lennoxes and Shaws, what does Margaret thank Henry Lennox for?
5. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
2. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
3. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
4. What did Bessy make Mary promise to her as she was dying?
5. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
6. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
7. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
8. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
9. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
10. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)