|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
(a) This is a trick question; he dies before Margaret arrives.
(b) I'd like to be buried by the seaside near my childhood home.
(c) You should marry Mr. Thornton.
(d) Take all my money and do something good with it.
2. What are the names of Frederick's children?
(a) Matthew and John.
(b) This is a trick question; he has no children.
(c) Mary and Bessy.
(d) Anthony and Edward.
3. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
(a) She sees the ghosts of her family everywhere.
(b) Her aunt just wants to take her shopping all the time.
(c) She misses her homes in Milton and Helstone.
(d) It is too cold for her old bones.
4. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
(a) If she weren't so bossy.
(b) If she were prettier.
(c) If she were a little smarter.
(d) If she were from Milton.
5. How does Nicholas feel about books?
(a) He thinks they have secret messages inside.
(b) He is afraid of them because he can't read.
(c) He worships them.
(d) He doesn't trust them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas want to move south after Boucher dies?
2. Who does Frederick see about his legal problems?
3. Why does Mr. Lennox take Margaret to the seaside?
4. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
5. Where does Mr. Bell live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
2. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
3. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
4. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
5. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
6. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
7. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
8. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
9. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
10. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)