|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bessy's sister ask Margaret to do after Bessy dies?
(a) Give her money.
(b) View her body.
(c) Hide the body.
(d) Bury her on her family's estate.
2. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
(a) So they can eat more and have more energy to work.
(b) So they can enjoy good meals.
(c) So they won't go on strike again.
(d) So they stop stealing the chairs he lets them borrow.
3. How does Leonards die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) By poison.
(c) From a fall at the train station.
(d) Margaret attacks him in self-defense.
4. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
(a) He keeps having dreams about her.
(b) He sees her from afar during the Saturday morning farmers' market.
(c) He sees a story about her in the newspaper.
(d) A chance encounter with Nicholas on the street.
5. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
(b) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(c) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
(d) He rings the doorbell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells a police officer that Margaret was at the train station with a young man?
2. When the novel ends, whom is Margaret embracing?
3. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
4. Who brings all the gossip from Milton to Margaret during a visit?
5. Why does Nicholas ask Mr. Thornton for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
2. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
3. How do Mr. Thornton and Nicholas seal the deal when Mr. Thornton finally offers Nicholas a new job?
4. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
5. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
6. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
7. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
8. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
9. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
10. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)