|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
(b) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
(c) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
(d) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
2. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
3. Who walks in on Margaret just as she is complaining about Mr. Thornton's not giving Nicholas a job?
(a) The union president.
(b) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mr. Thornton himself.
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
4. What does Margaret tell Mrs. Thornton about the man she was at the train station with?
(a) She says it's none of Mrs. Thornton's business who she dates.
(b) She confesses it was her fugitive brother.
(d) She lies and says she is having an affair.
5. When the novel ends, whom is Margaret embracing?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Lennox.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Mrs. Thornton to visit the dying Mrs. Hale?
2. Why does Frederick need to hire a lawyer?
3. Whom does Mr. Bell think Margaret must have been at the train station with?
4. What is the name of Frederick's young new wife?
5. Why does Nicholas want to move south after Boucher dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
2. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
3. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
4. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
5. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
6. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
7. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
8. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
9. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
10. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)