|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
(a) She sees the ghosts of her family everywhere.
(b) It is too cold for her old bones.
(c) Her aunt just wants to take her shopping all the time.
(d) She misses her homes in Milton and Helstone.
2. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(c) A police officer.
3. What caused Mr. Thornton to realize his workers needed a dining room?
(a) A paltry meal he saw Nicholas eating.
(b) One of his workers gave him an anonymous note.
(c) A nutritionist who visited the mill.
(d) The picketing workers outside his office.
4. Who looks after the Boucher children while Mrs. Boucher is ill?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
5. Whom does Mr. Thornton tell first that he must give up his business?
(b) His mother.
(d) Mr. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Bell arrange for Margaret to stay with after her father passes away?
2. How does Nicholas feel about books?
3. Who is Leonards?
4. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
5. Who helps Dixon out quite a bit after all of the Hales move from Milton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
2. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
3. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
4. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
5. What did Bessy make Mary promise to her as she was dying?
6. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
7. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
8. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
9. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
10. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)