|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
(b) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
(c) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
(d) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
2. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He rings the doorbell.
(b) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
(c) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(d) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
3. What false errand does Margaret apologize for sending Nicholas on?
(a) Trying to adop the Boucher children.
(b) Asking Mr. Thornton for a job.
(c) Trying to get into Mrs. Thornton's dinner party.
(d) Talking to her father about their possibly getting married.
4. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
(a) Runs out the back door.
5. What is the name of Frederick's young new wife?
(a) This is a trick question; he has no young new wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Bell live?
2. Who comes to Margaret's house to inquire about her health?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton know that Mr. Thornton's original proposal to Margaret has not gone well?
4. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
5. Who requests that the inquest into Leonards' death be stopped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
2. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
3. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
4. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
5. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
6. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
7. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
8. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
9. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
10. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)