|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Thornton afraid to hire Nicholas?
(a) Because he has a raging temper.
(b) Because he will bully other workers at the mill.
(c) Because he is a powerful union man.
(d) Because he steals things all the time.
2. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) He goes by himself because he is technically in hiding.
3. Why does Nicholas want to move south after Boucher dies?
(a) Because he is fleeing from the law.
(b) Because he thinks the food is cheaper there.
(c) Because it is too sad to stay in Milton anymore.
(d) Becuase he has come into some inheritance money.
4. Who requests that the inquest into Leonards' death be stopped?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Hale.
5. What role does Margaret assume for the Boucher children?
(b) Wet nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
2. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
3. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
4. How does Mrs. Thornton react to the news that Margaret was seen at the train station with an unknown man?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
2. What did Bessy make Mary promise to her as she was dying?
3. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
4. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
5. What kinds of conversations do Mrs. Thornton and her son usually have?
6. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
7. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
8. Why does Margaret initially refuse to give Mr. Thornton any credit for helping her and her brother with the police investigation?
9. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
10. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)