|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
2. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) His servant.
3. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Of seeing another man.
(c) Of not taking her reputation seriously.
(d) Of being a free spirit.
4. Who tells a police officer that Margaret was at the train station with a young man?
(a) The tailor.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The mailman.
(d) The grocer.
5. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
(a) She is worried about his taking the news too hard.
(b) She wants to know his opinon of her.
(c) She needs to beg him for a job.
(d) She wants to accuse him of murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bessy's sister ask Margaret to do after Bessy dies?
2. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
3. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
4. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
5. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
2. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
3. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
4. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
5. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
6. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
7. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
8. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
9. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
10. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)