|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who attacks Frederick at the train station?
(b) The police.
(c) Frederick's old high school girlfriend.
2. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
3. Whom does Mr. Bell think Margaret must have been at the train station with?
(a) Her father.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Henry Lennox.
4. What new role does Margaret play in Mr. Thornton's life after Mr. Bell dies?
(a) She is his new landlady.
(b) She disappears but sends him a letter pretending she is Mr. Bell every once in a while.
(c) She has no new role in his life.
(d) She can lend him money she didn't have before.
5. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(b) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
(c) He rings the doorbell.
(d) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas feel about books?
2. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
3. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
4. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
5. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
2. Why does Mrs. Thornton confront Margaret about being in the train station with someone she suspects is her lover?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
4. Why does Mr. Hale not want to follow Frederick to Spain?
5. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
6. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
7. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
8. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
9. Why does Frederick decide to stay in Spain?
10. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)