|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Frederick ultimately decide to live?
2. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
(b) He goes by himself because he is technically in hiding.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
(d) Mr. Hale.
3. Who comes to Margaret's house to inquire about her health?
(a) The minister.
(b) The mailman.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
(d) The tailor.
4. What false errand does Margaret apologize for sending Nicholas on?
(a) Trying to get into Mrs. Thornton's dinner party.
(b) Trying to adop the Boucher children.
(c) Asking Mr. Thornton for a job.
(d) Talking to her father about their possibly getting married.
5. How does Mrs. Thornton react to the news that Margaret was seen at the train station with an unknown man?
(a) She becomes very angry.
(b) She is horribly jealous.
(c) She is concerned for her safety.
(d) She is proud of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of Frederick's children?
2. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
3. Who fails to show up at the meeting between Margaret and Mr. Thornton?
4. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
5. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
2. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
3. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
4. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
6. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
7. Why does Nicholas not want to break the news of Boucher's death to Boucher's wife?
8. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
9. What causes the police inspector to be suspicious of Margaret?
10. Why is Mr. Hale not happy when his son returns home?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)