|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(c) Buenos Aires.
2. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) How handsome he is.
(b) How rich he is.
(c) How authoritative he sounds.
(d) How rude he is.
3. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Her entire life.
(b) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
(c) Not very long.
(d) Since the age of 17.
4. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Elizabeth Gaskell.
(b) Eleanor Gaskell.
(c) Edward Gaskell.
(d) Edmund Gaskell.
5. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
(b) Given Bessy a pedicure.
(c) Given Bessy a back massage.
(d) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
2. How did Bessy become ill?
3. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
4. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
5. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
2. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
4. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
5. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
6. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
7. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
8. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
9. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
10. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)