|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
(b) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
(c) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(d) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
2. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(b) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(c) Because she came uninvited.
(d) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
3. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
(a) Another servant.
(b) A trip to Paris.
(c) A priest.
(d) Holy water.
4. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) The strike.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
5. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) Members of Parliament.
(b) The mayor of Milton.
(c) No one ever gets invtied there.
(d) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
2. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
4. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
5. Who is Frederick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
2. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
3. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
4. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
5. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
6. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
7. What was Frederick on trial for?
8. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
9. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
10. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)