|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
(b) From being outside in the cold too often.
(c) From working in the cotton factory.
(d) She doesn't know.
2. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
(a) That she will get better in three to six months.
(b) That she is dying.
(c) That she is faking it.
(d) That someone is poisoning her.
3. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Given Bessy a back massage.
(b) Given Bessy a pedicure.
(c) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(d) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
4. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
(b) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(c) Because she came uninvited.
(d) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
5. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Harley Street.
(b) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Magdalena Avenue.
(d) An unnamed country road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thornton?
2. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
3. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
4. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
5. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
2. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
3. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
4. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
5. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
6. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
7. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
8. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
9. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
10. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)