|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) The blisters that develop on her hands.
(b) Her confusion.
(c) Her red cheeks.
(d) Her terrible headaches.
2. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To not become friends with her.
(b) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
(c) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
(d) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
3. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
(b) The town reverend.
(c) The owner of the local mill.
(d) Margaret's new private tutor.
4. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To return to London.
(b) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
(c) To see her son again.
(d) To die a rich woman.
5. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
(a) Living in the South.
(b) Having a boyfriend.
(c) Not having smoked cigarettes for so long.
(d) Having money for a real doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
2. How did Bessy become ill?
3. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
4. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
5. What does Nicholas smoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
2. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
3. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
4. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
5. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
6. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
7. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
8. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
9. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
10. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)