|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
(b) His ability to leave the house and travel.
(c) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
(d) None of these answers is correct.
2. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working in a factory.
(b) Being an artist.
(c) Running a school.
(d) Working as a private tutor.
3. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
(a) It is haunted.
(b) The ghastly wallpaper.
(c) It floods every year in the basement.
(d) It is way too expensive.
4. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mr. Hale.
5. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
(b) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(c) Because she has a crush on him.
(d) Because she wants to know what is going on.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bessy?
2. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
3. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
4. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
5. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
2. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
5. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
6. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
7. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
8. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
9. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
10. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)