|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bessy?
(a) The daughter of Mr. Higgins.
(b) Someone who is very ill.
(c) A young woman Margaret wants to become friends with.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
2. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
(a) A priest.
(b) A trip to Paris.
(c) Holy water.
(d) Another servant.
3. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
4. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To die a rich woman.
(b) To return to London.
(c) To see her son again.
(d) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
5. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Magdalena Avenue.
(b) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Harley Street.
(d) An unnamed country road.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
2. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
3. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
4. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
5. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
2. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
3. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
4. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
5. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
6. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
7. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
8. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
9. What was Frederick on trial for?
10. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)