|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
(b) Buenos Aires.
(c) Washington, D.C.
2. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) The bracelet she is wearing.
(b) Her lipstick.
(c) The way her hair is done.
(d) Her beautiful singing voice.
3. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) That he thinks she has gone mad.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he finds her very strange and silly.
(d) That he is embarrassed she would be seen in public with him.
4. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her terrible headaches.
(b) Her confusion.
(c) Her red cheeks.
(d) The blisters that develop on her hands.
5. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob starts to cheer.
(b) The mob begins to pray for her.
(c) The mob laughs very loudly.
(d) The mob goes silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
2. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
3. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
4. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
5. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
2. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
3. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
4. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
5. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
6. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
7. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
8. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
9. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
10. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)