|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
(a) That she will get better in three to six months.
(b) That someone is poisoning her.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she is faking it.
2. Who is Mary?
(a) Bessy's mother.
(b) Bessy's daughter.
(c) Bessy's sister.
(d) Bessy's auntie.
3. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From being outside in the cold too often.
(b) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
(c) From working in the cotton factory.
(d) She doesn't know.
4. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A nun.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
5. During dinner with Mr. Thornton at their home, who admits to not liking the dirty air in Milton?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mr. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thornton?
2. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
3. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
5. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
2. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
3. How does Margaret respond to learning that she is the heiress to Mr. Bell's sizable fortune?
4. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
5. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
6. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
7. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
8. Why is Mr. Thornton fearful of Nicholas after he refuses to give him work?
9. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
10. Why is Mr. Lennox able to take Margaret on a vacation to the seaside?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)