|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
(b) Mr. Hale and Margaret.
(c) No one goes to the party because the workers are on strike.
2. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
(a) The ghastly wallpaper.
(b) It is haunted.
(c) It is way too expensive.
(d) It floods every year in the basement.
3. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) She seriously embarrasses herself and her family.
(b) She breaks her ankle.
(c) She is knocked out from a thrown rock.
(d) Everyone in town starts teasing her terribly.
4. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(a) Mrs. Thornton.
5. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her stunning red hair.
(b) Her long legs.
(c) Her delightful laugh.
(d) Her beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
2. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
3. How did Bessy become ill?
4. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret stop giving advice through letters to Mr. Bell?
2. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
3. How does Margaret respond to Mr. Bell's surprise to take her to Helstone?
4. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
5. Why does Margaret refer Frederick to Henry Lennox?
6. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
7. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
8. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
9. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
10. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)