|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her rudeness.
(b) Her lack of manners.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her wit.
2. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
(a) A trip to Paris.
(b) Another servant.
(c) Holy water.
(d) A priest.
3. Who is Mary?
(a) Bessy's sister.
(b) Bessy's mother.
(c) Bessy's daughter.
(d) Bessy's auntie.
4. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
(a) Accuse him of being a liar.
(b) Roll her eyes.
(c) Burst into tears.
(d) Leave the room.
5. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) Master Luke.
(b) Mr. Lennox.
(c) Mr. Barton.
(d) An old, blind neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
2. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
3. Who is Dixon?
4. During dinner with Mr. Thornton at their home, who admits to not liking the dirty air in Milton?
5. Who is Bessy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret respond to her father's death?
2. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
3. Who organizes and gets rid of Mr. Hale's belongings?
4. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton think of the possibility of Mr. Thornton's marrying Margaret?
6. What does the dying Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to do?
7. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
8. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
9. How does Mr. Thornton find out that Margaret has a brother?
10. What happens to Margaret, emotionally, while she is in Helstone after her father has passed away?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)