|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
(b) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
(c) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(d) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
2. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(d) That she did not help him because she loves him.
3. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
(a) Because she was invited to the ball when no one else was.
(b) Because she doesn't see her son as amazing.
(c) Because she stole some of her family jewelry.
(d) Because she finds her looks threatening.
4. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
(a) That she just needs a rest.
(b) That she is faking it.
(c) That she will not make it through the night.
(d) That she has cancer.
5. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Remembering shopping for her wedding dress.
(c) Seeing all the fine shops.
(d) Being in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
2. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
3. Why does Mr. Thornton claim to need to visit Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
4. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
5. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
2. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
5. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
6. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
7. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
8. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
9. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
10. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)