|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the street.
(b) From the crowd.
(c) From the attic.
(d) From behind the front door.
2. Who is Bessy?
(a) A young woman Margaret wants to become friends with.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) The daughter of Mr. Higgins.
(d) Someone who is very ill.
3. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
(a) That she just needs a rest.
(b) That she is faking it.
(c) That she will not make it through the night.
(d) That she has cancer.
4. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Get a real job.
(b) Read more books.
(c) Visit a factory.
(d) Work on a farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
2. Who is Dixon?
3. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
4. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
5. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
2. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
3. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
5. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
6. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
7. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
8. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
9. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
10. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)