|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She gives her illegal alcohol.
(b) She talks about religion.
(c) She reads her poetry.
(d) She sings softly to her.
2. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(a) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
(b) A letter from Edith.
3. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) Because she wants him to run her over.
(b) Because she tries to protect him.
(c) She doesn't; she just accidentally trips.
(d) Because she is in love with him.
4. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
(a) A funny joke.
(b) His early departure for his train.
(c) A broken dish.
(d) The ridiculous-looking dessert.
5. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Eleanor Gaskell.
(b) Edward Gaskell.
(c) Edmund Gaskell.
(d) Elizabeth Gaskell.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
2. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
3. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
4. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
5. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
2. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
3. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
4. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
5. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
6. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
7. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
8. What was Frederick on trial for?
9. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
10. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)