Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) The bracelet she is wearing.
(b) The way her hair is done.
(c) Her beautiful singing voice.
(d) Her lipstick.
2. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Harley Street.
(b) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Magdalena Avenue.
(d) An unnamed country road.
3. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working as a private tutor.
(b) Working in a factory.
(c) Running a school.
(d) Being an artist.
4. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
5. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
(a) Better treatment at the mills.
(b) More problems than they're worth.
(d) More money for the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Bell?
2. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
3. Who is Mr. Thornton?
4. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
5. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
2. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
3. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
4. Why is Margaret so concerned when she hears that Mr. Thornton thinks she was at the train station with Mr. Lennox?
5. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
6. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
7. Why is Nicholas still out of work after the strike?
8. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
9. Why is Dixon in a panic when she comes to visit Margaret after Mrs. Hale's death?
10. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)