|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the attic.
(b) From behind the front door.
(c) From the street.
(d) From the crowd.
2. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) Her lipstick.
(b) Her beautiful singing voice.
(c) The way her hair is done.
(d) The bracelet she is wearing.
3. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
4. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she wants to know what is going on.
(b) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
(c) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(d) Because she has a crush on him.
5. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(a) Irish workers.
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
2. In what country does "North and South" take place?
3. How did Bessy become ill?
4. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
5. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
2. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
3. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
4. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
5. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
6. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
7. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
8. What was Frederick on trial for?
9. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
10. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)