|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
(a) By mail.
(b) Through a spy.
(c) Through a homing pigeon.
(d) She cannot get any messages to him.
2. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
(b) That she both fears and respects him.
(c) That she is beginning to like him.
(d) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
3. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
(b) None of these answers is correct.
(c) His ability to leave the house and travel.
(d) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
4. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working in a factory.
(b) Running a school.
(c) Working as a private tutor.
(d) Being an artist.
5. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
(a) That she is loud and obnoxious.
(b) That she is annoying and dumb.
(c) That she is uppity and rude.
(d) That she is shy and beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Bell?
2. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
3. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
4. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
5. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
2. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
3. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
4. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
5. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
6. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
7. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
8. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
9. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
10. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)