|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she wants to know what is going on.
(b) Because she has a crush on him.
(c) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
(d) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
2. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
(a) That she is uppity and rude.
(b) That she is annoying and dumb.
(c) That she is shy and beautiful.
(d) That she is loud and obnoxious.
3. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
(a) She wants to change the will first.
(b) He will not cope well with the news.
(c) He will think she is faking it.
(d) He will become incredibly angry at all of them.
4. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
(a) A squatter's cottage.
(b) Small wildflowers that are in bloom.
(c) A flowing stream.
(d) A wild deer.
5. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Imitate him.
(c) Join him in a jousting match.
(d) Pick him up and throw him into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
2. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
3. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
4. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
5. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
2. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
3. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
4. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
5. What was Frederick on trial for?
6. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
7. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
8. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
9. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
10. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)