|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
(b) Buenos Aires.
(c) Washington, D.C.
2. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
(a) That someone is poisoning her.
(b) That she is faking it.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she will get better in three to six months.
3. What does Nicholas smoke?
(c) This is a trick question; he doesn't smoke.
4. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A nurse.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) A nun.
5. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(a) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
(d) A letter from Edith.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
2. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
3. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
4. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
5. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
2. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
3. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
4. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
5. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
6. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
7. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
8. What was Frederick on trial for?
9. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
10. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)