|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To not become friends with her.
(b) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
(c) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
(d) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
2. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) The butlers.
(b) The men.
(c) The women.
(d) The kitchen staff.
3. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) To wait for Mr. Thornton to arrive and propose to Margaret.
(b) To keep watch over Mr. Hale.
(c) To catch up on gossip.
(d) To keep guard against intruders.
4. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
(a) Living in the South.
(b) Having money for a real doctor.
(c) Having a boyfriend.
(d) Not having smoked cigarettes for so long.
5. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) The owner of the local mill.
(b) The town reverend.
(c) Margaret's new private tutor.
(d) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
2. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
3. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
4. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
5. Who wrote "North and South"
Short Essay Questions
1. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
2. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
3. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
4. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
5. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
6. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
7. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
8. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
9. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
10. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)