|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
(b) His ability to leave the house and travel.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
2. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(d) The strike.
3. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(b) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
(c) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(d) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
4. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
(a) She wants to change the will first.
(b) He will become incredibly angry at all of them.
(c) He will think she is faking it.
(d) He will not cope well with the news.
5. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(d) Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
2. In what country does "North and South" take place?
3. Who is Mr. Thornton?
4. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
5. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
2. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
3. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
4. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
5. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
6. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
7. How does Mrs. Thornton feel about living so close to the mill?
8. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
9. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
10. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)