|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) How rude he is.
(b) How rich he is.
(c) How authoritative he sounds.
(d) How handsome he is.
2. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
3. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her long legs.
(b) Her delightful laugh.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her stunning red hair.
4. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
(b) Given Bessy a back massage.
(c) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(d) Given Bessy a pedicure.
5. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
(d) The strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
2. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
3. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
4. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
5. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the striking workers to head to the Thornton household to protest?
2. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
3. What does Nicholas have to say about the people in Milton and religion?
4. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton warn her son about Margaret?
6. What was Frederick on trial for?
7. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
8. Why does Bessy claim that Margaret never has suffered and is likely never to do so in the future?
9. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
10. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)