|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) The strike.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
2. What does Nicholas smoke?
(c) This is a trick question; he doesn't smoke.
3. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working as a private tutor.
(b) Being an artist.
(c) Working in a factory.
(d) Running a school.
4. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As drunk.
(b) As shy.
(c) As loud and obnoxious.
(d) As eager to make new friends.
5. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) Master Luke.
(b) Mr. Barton.
(c) Mr. Lennox.
(d) An old, blind neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
2. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
3. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
4. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
5. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
2. Why are the Thorntons aghast at Margaret and Mr. Hale's acceptance to their dinner party?
3. Whom does Mrs. Thornton accuse Mr. Thornton of needing to protect him?
4. Why does Mr. Hale ask Margaret to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
5. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
6. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
7. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
8. What does Margaret tell Mr. Thornton his workers have a human right to?
9. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
10. Why does Margaret feel guilty after Mr. Thornton leaves her home after he confesses his love to her?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)