|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(b) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(c) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
(d) Because she came uninvited.
2. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
(a) Having a boyfriend.
(b) Having money for a real doctor.
(c) Not having smoked cigarettes for so long.
(d) Living in the South.
3. Why does Mr. Thornton claim to need to visit Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) To talk about her drinking problem.
(b) To tell her to never bother him again.
(c) To thank her.
(d) To turn down her offer of marriage.
4. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
(a) Master Luke.
(b) Captain Lennox.
(c) An unnamed reverend.
(d) Professor Barton.
5. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As drunk.
(b) As loud and obnoxious.
(c) As shy.
(d) As eager to make new friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
2. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
3. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
5. Who is Mr. Thornton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
2. Why does Mr. Hale leave his job as a reverend?
3. Why is Margaret happy when the men rejoin the conversation at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
4. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
5. How does Margaret prove to Bessy that she indeed knows suffering?
6. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
7. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
8. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
9. What does Bessy claim is the cause for her deteriorating look of health?
10. What advice does Margaret give to Mr. Thornton about how to handle the growing crowd of striking workers outside his door?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)