|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(c) Buenos Aires.
2. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To see her son again.
(b) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
(c) To return to London.
(d) To die a rich woman.
3. Who is Fanny?
(a) Margaret's new pen pal.
(b) Mrs. Thornton's house servant.
(c) Mrs. Thornton's daughter.
(d) Margaret's piano teacher.
4. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A landlord.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A priest.
5. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
(b) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(c) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(d) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
2. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
3. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
4. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
5. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margaret lie to the police inspector?
2. What surprises Margaret about the men in the North?
3. What does Mr. Hale complain about right before he dies?
4. Why does Nicholas take it upon himself to look after Boucher's children?
5. What about Mr. Thornton's life story does Margaret like?
6. How does Margaret react to Mr. Lennox' confession of love for her?
7. What was Frederick on trial for?
8. After Bessy dies, why does Margaret bring a drunk Nicholas back to her house?
9. Why is Dixon in a panic when Mr. Hale and Margaret return from the Thorntons' big dinner party?
10. Why does Mr. Thornton become particularly upset over the news of Mr. Hale's death?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)