|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) Her refined dress sense.
(b) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(c) Her funny way of speaking.
(d) Her long legs.
2. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) The strike.
3. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A nun.
(d) A teacher.
4. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her rudeness.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her lack of manners.
(d) Her wit.
5. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
2. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
3. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
4. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
5. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference between the northern and southern shopkeepers does Margaret notice in Heston?
2. What causes Mr. Hale to faint after he returns home from the dinner party at the Thorntons'?
3. Why does Margaret run upstairs to cry after she tells her mother they will be moving to Milton?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale get so upset about living in Milton?
5. What happens to Mrs. Hale and Dixon once they arrive in Milton?
6. According to Bessy, what happens to people who work in the cotton factory that makes them sick?
7. What first surprises Mr. Thornton about Margaret?
8. What makes Margaret go out in search of household help in Milton when she first arrives?
9. Why does Mrs. Hale object so much to living in Helstone?
10. Where does Frederick live when the reader first learns about him?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)