|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frederick not contact Margaret when he is in London?
(a) Because he lost Margaret's phone number.
(b) Because he hates Margaret.
(c) Because he knows people are looking for him.
(d) Because he is trying to steal his part of the inheritance.
2. Why has Leonards come to London?
(a) To reunite with his family.
(b) To propose to Margaret.
(c) To arrest Frederick.
(d) To support Mr. Hale after his wife dies.
3. Who attacks Frederick at the train station?
(a) Frederick's old high school girlfriend.
(d) The police.
4. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
(a) A chance encounter with Nicholas on the street.
(b) He sees her from afar during the Saturday morning farmers' market.
(c) He sees a story about her in the newspaper.
(d) He keeps having dreams about her.
5. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
(a) If she were from Milton.
(b) If she weren't so bossy.
(c) If she were prettier.
(d) If she were a little smarter.
6. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
(b) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(c) He rings the doorbell.
(d) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
7. How does Mrs. Hale feel about her son's return to the Hale house?
(a) She is terribly worried.
(b) She is furious with her son and refuses to forgive him.
(c) She dies before she can see him.
(d) She is elated.
8. During Frederick's first night home, how does the family interact?
9. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
(a) Runs out the back door.
10. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
(a) She misses her homes in Milton and Helstone.
(b) She sees the ghosts of her family everywhere.
(c) It is too cold for her old bones.
(d) Her aunt just wants to take her shopping all the time.
11. Where does Mr. Bell live?
12. Whom does Mr. Thornton tell first that he must give up his business?
(a) His mother.
(b) Mr. Hale.
13. Who comes to Margaret's house to inquire about her health?
(a) The minister.
(b) The tailor.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
(d) The mailman.
14. For what reason is the inquest into Leonards' death stopped?
(a) Because Margaret won't cooperate.
(b) Because the witnesses keep changing their stories.
(c) Because it is ruled an accident.
(d) For lack of medical evidence.
15. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Margaret that Frederick was in London but didn't see her?
2. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
3. How does Nicholas feel about books?
4. How does Leonards die?
5. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)