|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Mr. Bell and Margaret communicate once they depart?
(a) Through singing telegrams.
(b) Through the phone.
(c) Through e-mail.
(d) Through letters.
2. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
(b) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
(c) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
(d) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
3. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
(a) Mrs. Thornton.
(b) His servant.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
4. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
(a) He leaves and goes to another car.
(b) He gets off, even though it's not his proper stop.
(c) He punches Mr. Bell.
(d) He hides behind his newspaper.
5. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
(b) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(c) He agrees with everything she says.
(d) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
6. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
(a) Because shse thinks her husband is an idiot.
(b) Because Margaret has a tendency to disregard the rules.
(c) Because she will need a mother.
(d) Because she knows she needs money.
7. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
(a) Aunt Shaw.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
8. How long does Nicholas wait with the porter to ask Mr. Thornton for a job?
(a) One hour.
(b) Five hours.
(c) One minute.
(d) Five minutes.
9. Who tells Margaret about her father's death?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) Mr. Bell.
10. How does Leonards die?
(a) Margaret attacks him in self-defense.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) From a fall at the train station.
(d) By poison.
11. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
(a) She needs to beg him for a job.
(b) She is worried about his taking the news too hard.
(c) She wants to know his opinon of her.
(d) She wants to accuse him of murder.
12. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
(b) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(c) He rings the doorbell.
(d) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
13. Whom does Mr. Thornton tell first that he must give up his business?
(a) His mother.
(b) Mr. Hale.
14. Who inherits Mr. Bell's fortune?
(b) Mrs. Thornton because she is his cousin.
(d) His three children.
15. Who informs Margaret that Bessy has died?
(b) Dr. Donaldson.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Mrs. Thornton to visit the dying Mrs. Hale?
2. How does Nicholas feel about books?
3. Who brings all the gossip from Milton to Margaret during a visit?
4. Who tells a police officer that Margaret was at the train station with a young man?
5. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)