|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
(a) She wants to know his opinon of her.
(b) She needs to beg him for a job.
(c) She wants to accuse him of murder.
(d) She is worried about his taking the news too hard.
2. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
(a) He sees a story about her in the newspaper.
(b) He keeps having dreams about her.
(c) A chance encounter with Nicholas on the street.
(d) He sees her from afar during the Saturday morning farmers' market.
3. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
(b) The police investigator.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mr. Bell.
4. Where does Mrs. Hale die?
(a) On Frederick's famous ship.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) Outside on the sidewalk.
(d) At home.
5. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
(a) He wants to end his tenancy agreement.
(b) He wants to say good-bye one last time.
(c) He's not sure what he's going to say, just that he wants to see her.
(d) He is going to ask for an emergency loan.
6. What is the name of Frederick's young new wife?
(b) This is a trick question; he has no young new wife.
7. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
(a) He leaves and goes to another car.
(b) He hides behind his newspaper.
(c) He gets off, even though it's not his proper stop.
(d) He punches Mr. Bell.
8. Why does Mr. Lennox take Margaret to the seaside?
(a) To keep her away from the people trying to kill her.
(b) To let her get even more depressed.
(c) To isolate her from the illness sweeping the country.
(d) To try to win her over.
9. Who tells Margaret about her father's death?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Bell.
10. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(b) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
(c) He rings the doorbell.
(d) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
11. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
12. Who calls a doctor for Mrs. Boucher when she becomes ill?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mr. Hale.
13. Who does Frederick see about his legal problems?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A private investigator.
(d) A judge.
14. What family does Frederick have in Spain.
(a) An old dying uncle.
(b) Just a fiancée.
(d) Lots of grandchildren.
15. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
(b) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(c) He agrees with everything she says.
(d) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else sees Margaret at the train station with Frederick?
2. Why does Frederick need to hire a lawyer?
3. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
4. Who writes a letter of reference for work for Nicholas?
5. What false errand does Margaret apologize for sending Nicholas on?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)