|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason is the inquest into Leonards' death stopped?
(a) Because it is ruled an accident.
(b) Because Margaret won't cooperate.
(c) For lack of medical evidence.
(d) Because the witnesses keep changing their stories.
2. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
(c) Cherry liquor.
3. What are the names of Frederick's children?
(a) Matthew and John.
(b) Mary and Bessy.
(c) Anthony and Edward.
(d) This is a trick question; he has no children.
4. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Aunt Shaw.
5. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
(a) So they can eat more and have more energy to work.
(b) So they can enjoy good meals.
(c) So they stop stealing the chairs he lets them borrow.
(d) So they won't go on strike again.
6. Who suggests that Frederick hire a lawyer?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) Frederick himself.
7. Why does Frederick need to hire a lawyer?
(a) To help him better draft the legislation he's working on.
(b) To process his immigration papers.
(c) To clear his name from mutiny charges.
(d) So he can sue his neighbor who continually steals from him.
8. What family does Frederick have in Spain.
(a) Just a fiancée.
(c) Lots of grandchildren.
(d) An old dying uncle.
9. How does Leonards die?
(a) From a fall at the train station.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) Margaret attacks him in self-defense.
(d) By poison.
10. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
11. What does Margaret tell Mrs. Thornton about the man she was at the train station with?
(a) She confesses it was her fugitive brother.
(b) She lies and says she is having an affair.
(c) She says it's none of Mrs. Thornton's business who she dates.
12. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
(a) I'd like to be buried by the seaside near my childhood home.
(b) You should marry Mr. Thornton.
(c) Take all my money and do something good with it.
(d) This is a trick question; he dies before Margaret arrives.
13. Why does Mr. Lennox take Margaret to the seaside?
(a) To keep her away from the people trying to kill her.
(b) To isolate her from the illness sweeping the country.
(c) To let her get even more depressed.
(d) To try to win her over.
14. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) His servant.
15. How do Mr. Bell and Margaret communicate once they depart?
(a) Through the phone.
(b) Through e-mail.
(c) Through letters.
(d) Through singing telegrams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks in on Margaret just as she is complaining about Mr. Thornton's not giving Nicholas a job?
2. What would make Mrs. Thornton like Margaret even more?
3. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
4. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
5. Where does Mr. Bell live?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)