|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new role does Margaret play in Mr. Thornton's life after Mr. Bell dies?
(a) She has no new role in his life.
(b) She is his new landlady.
(c) She disappears but sends him a letter pretending she is Mr. Bell every once in a while.
(d) She can lend him money she didn't have before.
2. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
(a) She needs to beg him for a job.
(b) She is worried about his taking the news too hard.
(c) She wants to know his opinon of her.
(d) She wants to accuse him of murder.
3. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
(b) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
(c) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
(d) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
4. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
(a) Aunt Shaw.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
5. How does Mrs. Hale feel about her son's return to the Hale house?
(a) She is terribly worried.
(b) She is furious with her son and refuses to forgive him.
(c) She is elated.
(d) She dies before she can see him.
6. How does Leonards die?
(a) From a fall at the train station.
(b) Margaret attacks him in self-defense.
(c) By poison.
(d) He kills himself.
7. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
(b) He goes by himself because he is technically in hiding.
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
8. Who comes to Margaret's house to inquire about her health?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) The mailman.
(c) The minister.
(d) The tailor.
9. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
(a) So they won't go on strike again.
(b) So they can eat more and have more energy to work.
(c) So they can enjoy good meals.
(d) So they stop stealing the chairs he lets them borrow.
10. Where does Mr. Bell take Margaret to try to cheer her up after her father passes away?
(d) New York City.
11. What does Bessy's sister ask Margaret to do after Bessy dies?
(a) Give her money.
(b) Hide the body.
(c) Bury her on her family's estate.
(d) View her body.
12. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
(d) Runs out the back door.
13. Who suggests that Frederick hire a lawyer?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Frederick himself.
(c) Mr. Hale.
14. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
(a) He sees a story about her in the newspaper.
(b) A chance encounter with Nicholas on the street.
(c) He keeps having dreams about her.
(d) He sees her from afar during the Saturday morning farmers' market.
15. During Frederick's first night home, how does the family interact?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requests that the inquest into Leonards' death be stopped?
2. How does Nicholas feel about books?
3. At the large dinner party with the Lennoxes and Shaws, what does Margaret thank Henry Lennox for?
4. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
5. Why is Mr. Thornton struggling with his business?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)