|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What family does Frederick have in Spain.
(a) Just a fiancée.
(b) An old dying uncle.
(d) Lots of grandchildren.
2. During Frederick's first night home, how does the family interact?
3. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He agrees with everything she says.
(b) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(c) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
(d) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
4. Who fails to show up at the meeting between Margaret and Mr. Thornton?
(a) Mrs. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Lennox.
(d) Mr. Hale.
5. How does Leonards die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) From a fall at the train station.
(c) Margaret attacks him in self-defense.
(d) By poison.
6. Who does Frederick see about his legal problems?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Mr. Lennox.
(c) A private investigator.
(d) A judge.
7. Why is Mr. Thornton afraid to hire Nicholas?
(a) Because he will bully other workers at the mill.
(b) Because he has a raging temper.
(c) Because he steals things all the time.
(d) Because he is a powerful union man.
8. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
(a) She is worried about his taking the news too hard.
(b) She needs to beg him for a job.
(c) She wants to accuse him of murder.
(d) She wants to know his opinon of her.
9. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) She dies that night.
(d) One day.
10. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
(a) Of seeing another man.
(b) Of not taking her reputation seriously.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Of being a free spirit.
11. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
(a) Her aunt just wants to take her shopping all the time.
(b) She misses her homes in Milton and Helstone.
(c) She sees the ghosts of her family everywhere.
(d) It is too cold for her old bones.
12. How does Nicholas find out Boucher has died?
(a) He hears the church bells toll.
(b) He hears Mrs. Boucher wailing with grief.
(c) He sees him die himself.
(d) He sees his body being carried down the street.
13. Who tells Margaret that Frederick was in London but didn't see her?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
(b) Mr. Bell.
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
14. Whom does Mr. Bell think Margaret must have been at the train station with?
(a) Her father.
(b) Henry Lennox.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
15. Who convinces Nicholas not to move to the South?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Nicholas himself.
(d) Mr. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Thornton stop the conversation about Margaret that he has with Mr. Bell on the train?
2. With whom does Margaret go to see the dying Mr. Bell?
3. Why has Leonards come to London?
4. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
5. Who else sees Margaret at the train station with Frederick?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)