|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Frederick hire a lawyer?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Frederick himself.
(d) Mr. Hale.
2. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
3. Why does Nicholas need the job with Mr. Thornton?
(a) Because he is homeless.
(b) Because he is severely in debt.
(c) Because he wants to look after Boucher's family.
(d) Because he wants to buy jewelry for Margaret.
4. Who inherits Mr. Bell's fortune?
(b) Mrs. Thornton because she is his cousin.
(d) His three children.
5. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
(a) He wants to end his tenancy agreement.
(b) He's not sure what he's going to say, just that he wants to see her.
(c) He wants to say good-bye one last time.
(d) He is going to ask for an emergency loan.
6. Where does Mr. Bell take Margaret to try to cheer her up after her father passes away?
(d) New York City.
7. Who does Nicholas throw violently across the room after Bessy dies?
(b) Three police officers.
8. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
(a) A police officer.
(c) Mr. Hale.
9. What family does Frederick have in Spain.
(a) An old dying uncle.
(b) Lots of grandchildren.
(d) Just a fiancée.
10. Where does Mr. Hale pass away?
(a) At his wife's gravside.
(b) At Mr. Bell's home.
(c) At home, in his own bed.
(d) On the train to Mr. Bell's.
11. Why does Frederick not contact Margaret when he is in London?
(a) Because he knows people are looking for him.
(b) Because he lost Margaret's phone number.
(c) Because he is trying to steal his part of the inheritance.
(d) Because he hates Margaret.
12. What new role does Margaret play in Mr. Thornton's life after Mr. Bell dies?
(a) She disappears but sends him a letter pretending she is Mr. Bell every once in a while.
(b) She can lend him money she didn't have before.
(c) She has no new role in his life.
(d) She is his new landlady.
13. How does Leonards die?
(a) From a fall at the train station.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) By poison.
(d) Margaret attacks him in self-defense.
14. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
(b) He comes home singing his favorite song.
(c) He rings the doorbell.
(d) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
15. Who else sees Margaret at the train station with Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Thornton.
(b) Mr. Hale.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Mrs. Thornton to visit the dying Mrs. Hale?
2. Why does Mr. Thornton come to London after he decides to give up his business?
3. From whom does Margaret learn Mr. Bell is on his deathbed?
4. With whom does Margaret go to see the dying Mr. Bell?
5. During Frederick's first night home, how does the family interact?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)