|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Margaret assume for the Boucher children?
(c) Wet nurse.
2. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
(a) She dies that night.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
3. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
(a) I'd like to be buried by the seaside near my childhood home.
(b) You should marry Mr. Thornton.
(c) Take all my money and do something good with it.
(d) This is a trick question; he dies before Margaret arrives.
4. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
(a) He's not sure what he's going to say, just that he wants to see her.
(b) He is going to ask for an emergency loan.
(c) He wants to say good-bye one last time.
(d) He wants to end his tenancy agreement.
5. Where does Mr. Bell live?
6. What does Margaret tell Mrs. Thornton about the man she was at the train station with?
(a) She confesses it was her fugitive brother.
(b) She says it's none of Mrs. Thornton's business who she dates.
(c) She lies and says she is having an affair.
7. During Frederick's first night home, how does the family interact?
8. Who does Mr. Bell send for to help take care of Margaret?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) Aunt Shaw.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
9. Why has Leonards come to London?
(a) To reunite with his family.
(b) To propose to Margaret.
(c) To arrest Frederick.
(d) To support Mr. Hale after his wife dies.
10. Why is Mr. Thornton struggling with his business?
(a) Because he spent a lot of money on new equipment.
(b) Because the economy is getting really bad.
(c) Neither of these answers is correct.
(d) Both of these answers are correct.
11. Who looks after the Boucher children while Mrs. Boucher is ill?
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
12. Why does Mr. Thornton come to London after he decides to give up his business?
(a) To steal money from a big bank.
(b) To see his lawyer.
(c) To find a new place to live.
(d) To find wealthier investors who can bail him out.
13. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Of seeing another man.
(c) Of not taking her reputation seriously.
(d) Of being a free spirit.
14. What does Bessy's sister ask Margaret to do after Bessy dies?
(a) Bury her on her family's estate.
(b) Hide the body.
(c) Give her money.
(d) View her body.
15. How does Frederick announce his return to the Hale household?
(a) He rings the doorbell.
(b) He rings the morning breakfast bell.
(c) He has a messenger deliver a letter.
(d) He comes home singing his favorite song.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Mr. Bell and Margaret communicate once they depart?
2. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
3. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
4. Who escorts Frederick to the train station when he leaves Milton?
5. Who delivers the first letter from Frederick, after he flees Milton, to Margaret?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)