|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mr. Hale pass away?
(a) On the train to Mr. Bell's.
(b) At Mr. Bell's home.
(c) At home, in his own bed.
(d) At his wife's gravside.
2. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
(a) So they can enjoy good meals.
(b) So they can eat more and have more energy to work.
(c) So they won't go on strike again.
(d) So they stop stealing the chairs he lets them borrow.
3. Why does Frederick not contact Margaret when he is in London?
(a) Because he is trying to steal his part of the inheritance.
(b) Because he knows people are looking for him.
(c) Because he hates Margaret.
(d) Because he lost Margaret's phone number.
4. How does Nicholas feel about books?
(a) He doesn't trust them.
(b) He is afraid of them because he can't read.
(c) He thinks they have secret messages inside.
(d) He worships them.
5. What role does Margaret assume for the Boucher children?
(d) Wet nurse.
6. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
(a) One day.
(b) She dies that night.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
7. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
(c) Cherry liquor.
8. To whom does Margaret finally confess whom she was at the trains station with?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Bell.
(d) The police investigator.
9. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
10. How do Mr. Bell and Margaret communicate once they depart?
(a) Through singing telegrams.
(b) Through letters.
(c) Through e-mail.
(d) Through the phone.
11. How does Nicholas find out Boucher has died?
(a) He sees his body being carried down the street.
(b) He sees him die himself.
(c) He hears Mrs. Boucher wailing with grief.
(d) He hears the church bells toll.
12. Where does Mr. Bell take Margaret to try to cheer her up after her father passes away?
(b) New York City.
13. How does Mrs. Hale feel about her son's return to the Hale house?
(a) She is furious with her son and refuses to forgive him.
(b) She dies before she can see him.
(c) She is terribly worried.
(d) She is elated.
14. Who fails to show up at the meeting between Margaret and Mr. Thornton?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
(d) Mr. Lennox.
15. With whom does Margaret go to see the dying Mr. Bell?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mrs Thornton.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
2. How does Margaret feel when she returns from the seaside?
3. Where does Mr. Bell live?
4. Why does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Thornton to look after Margaret?
5. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)