|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
(b) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
(c) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
(d) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
2. What caused Mr. Thornton to realize his workers needed a dining room?
(a) A paltry meal he saw Nicholas eating.
(b) One of his workers gave him an anonymous note.
(c) A nutritionist who visited the mill.
(d) The picketing workers outside his office.
3. Why does Nicholas want to move south after Boucher dies?
(a) Because he is fleeing from the law.
(b) Because he thinks the food is cheaper there.
(c) Because it is too sad to stay in Milton anymore.
(d) Becuase he has come into some inheritance money.
4. How does Mrs. Hale feel about her son's return to the Hale house?
(a) She dies before she can see him.
(b) She is elated.
(c) She is furious with her son and refuses to forgive him.
(d) She is terribly worried.
5. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) A police officer.
6. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
(b) He agrees with everything she says.
(c) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(d) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
7. Why does Nicholas ask Mr. Thornton for work?
(a) Because Margaret suggested he ask.
(b) Because he is unemployed.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Because he has a letter of recommendation from Mr. Hale.
8. Why is Mr. Thornton struggling with his business?
(a) Neither of these answers is correct.
(b) Because the economy is getting really bad.
(c) Because he spent a lot of money on new equipment.
(d) Both of these answers are correct.
9. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
(a) Runs out the back door.
10. Who requests that the inquest into Leonards' death be stopped?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
11. How long does Nicholas wait with the porter to ask Mr. Thornton for a job?
(a) One minute.
(b) One hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Five hours.
12. How does Nicholas find out Boucher has died?
(a) He hears the church bells toll.
(b) He sees him die himself.
(c) He hears Mrs. Boucher wailing with grief.
(d) He sees his body being carried down the street.
13. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
(a) One week.
(b) She dies that night.
(c) One month.
(d) One day.
14. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Of seeing another man.
(c) Of not taking her reputation seriously.
(d) Of being a free spirit.
15. Who informs Margaret that Bessy has died?
(a) Dr. Donaldson.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
2. Why does Mr. Thornton want to meet with Margaret after he decides to give up his business?
3. Whom does Mr. Thornton tell first that he must give up his business?
4. Who is Leonards?
5. What reminds Mr. Thornton of Margaret during his financial troubles?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)