|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls a doctor for Mrs. Boucher when she becomes ill?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
2. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
3. Why is Mr. Thornton afraid to hire Nicholas?
(a) Because he has a raging temper.
(b) Because he is a powerful union man.
(c) Because he will bully other workers at the mill.
(d) Because he steals things all the time.
4. Why is Mr. Thornton building a dining room for his workers?
(a) So they won't go on strike again.
(b) So they can eat more and have more energy to work.
(c) So they stop stealing the chairs he lets them borrow.
(d) So they can enjoy good meals.
5. What new role does Margaret play in Mr. Thornton's life after Mr. Bell dies?
(a) She disappears but sends him a letter pretending she is Mr. Bell every once in a while.
(b) She has no new role in his life.
(c) She can lend him money she didn't have before.
(d) She is his new landlady.
6. Who does Frederick see about his legal problems?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
(b) A private investigator.
(c) A judge.
(d) The mayor.
7. Who does Nicholas throw violently across the room after Bessy dies?
(c) Three police officers.
8. Who looks after the Boucher children while Mrs. Boucher is ill?
(c) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mr. Hale.
9. Who is Leonards?
(a) Margaret's long-lost secret brother.
(b) A navy pal of Frederick.
(c) Mr. Hale's best friend.
(d) Margaret's private tutor.
10. What does Mrs. Thornton accuse Margaret of during the confrontation at Margaret's house after Frederick leaves town?
(a) Of being a free spirit.
(b) Of seeing another man.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Of not taking her reputation seriously.
11. What false errand does Margaret apologize for sending Nicholas on?
(a) Asking Mr. Thornton for a job.
(b) Trying to get into Mrs. Thornton's dinner party.
(c) Trying to adop the Boucher children.
(d) Talking to her father about their possibly getting married.
12. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) She dies that night.
13. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
(b) He agrees with everything she says.
(c) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(d) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
14. What role does Margaret assume for the Boucher children?
(c) Wet nurse.
15. What kind of food does Mr. Thornton buy for the dying Mrs. Hale?
(a) Cherry liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fails to show up at the meeting between Margaret and Mr. Thornton?
2. Who tells a police officer that Margaret was at the train station with a young man?
3. Who suggests that Frederick hire a lawyer?
4. At the large dinner party with the Lennoxes and Shaws, what does Margaret thank Henry Lennox for?
5. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)