|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ultimately tells Mrs. Boucher that her husband has died?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) A police officer.
2. Who does Nicholas throw violently across the room after Bessy dies?
(b) Three police officers.
3. What does Margaret do after the police inspector comes to her house?
(b) Runs out the back door.
4. What caused Mr. Thornton to realize his workers needed a dining room?
(a) A paltry meal he saw Nicholas eating.
(b) The picketing workers outside his office.
(c) One of his workers gave him an anonymous note.
(d) A nutritionist who visited the mill.
5. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
(a) He wants his mother to hate her as much as he does.
(b) He refuses to hear bad words about her.
(c) He agrees with everything she says.
(d) He feels guilty, so he lies to his mother.
6. What are the names of Frederick's children?
(a) Anthony and Edward.
(b) This is a trick question; he has no children.
(c) Mary and Bessy.
(d) Matthew and John.
7. How long does Mrs. Hale live after Frederick arrives home?
(a) She dies that night.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
8. What is the name of Frederick's young new wife?
(b) This is a trick question; he has no young new wife.
9. Where does Frederick ultimately decide to live?
10. How does Margaret feel about Frederick's return?
(a) She can't wait for him to leave again.
(b) She is jealous of him.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is delighted.
11. What does Bessy's sister ask Margaret to do after Bessy dies?
(a) Bury her on her family's estate.
(b) Give her money.
(c) View her body.
(d) Hide the body.
12. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
(b) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
(c) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
(d) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
13. Who requests that the inquest into Leonards' death be stopped?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
14. Where does Frederick plan to go after fleeing Milton (after Mrs. Hale dies)?
15. Why does Margaret not settle well into London?
(a) She sees the ghosts of her family everywhere.
(b) It is too cold for her old bones.
(c) She misses her homes in Milton and Helstone.
(d) Her aunt just wants to take her shopping all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frederick need to hire a lawyer?
2. How does Nicholas feel about books?
3. What role does Margaret assume for the Boucher children?
4. Why has Leonards come to London?
5. How does Margaret feel when she returns from the seaside?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)