|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Mr. Thornton to realize his workers needed a dining room?
(a) One of his workers gave him an anonymous note.
(b) The picketing workers outside his office.
(c) A paltry meal he saw Nicholas eating.
(d) A nutritionist who visited the mill.
2. What does Mr. Hale tell Margaret about her mother's funeral arrangements?
(a) That Mr. Hale will be building the coffin himself.
(b) That Mr. Bell will take care of them.
(c) That Margaret herself must take care of everything.
(d) That they are too poor to have a funeral.
3. Who tells a police officer that Margaret was at the train station with a young man?
(a) The tailor.
(b) The grocer.
(c) The mailman.
(d) The mayor.
4. Who does Margaret (correctly) guess is making inquiries about Frederick's returning to England after she moves to London?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
5. Why does Margaret want to see Mr. Thornton after Boucher has died?
(a) She needs to beg him for a job.
(b) She is worried about his taking the news too hard.
(c) She wants to know his opinon of her.
(d) She wants to accuse him of murder.
6. What are the names of Frederick's children?
(a) Anthony and Edward.
(b) Matthew and John.
(c) This is a trick question; he has no children.
(d) Mary and Bessy.
7. Who tells Margaret about her father's death?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mr. Bell.
8. What new role does Margaret play in Mr. Thornton's life after Mr. Bell dies?
(a) She disappears but sends him a letter pretending she is Mr. Bell every once in a while.
(b) She has no new role in his life.
(c) She is his new landlady.
(d) She can lend him money she didn't have before.
9. How long does Nicholas wait with the porter to ask Mr. Thornton for a job?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) One minute.
(c) Five hours.
(d) One hour.
10. Who inherits Mr. Bell's fortune?
(b) His three children.
(d) Mrs. Thornton because she is his cousin.
11. How does Margaret feel about Frederick's return?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is jealous of him.
(c) She can't wait for him to leave again.
(d) She is delighted.
12. How does Margaret feel when she returns from the seaside?
(a) Much more depressed.
(b) Very achy from all the cold fog in the mornings.
(c) Much healthier.
(d) Very achy from all the cold swimming.
13. Who looks after the Boucher children while Mrs. Boucher is ill?
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
14. Who attacks Frederick at the train station?
(b) Frederick's old high school girlfriend.
(c) The police.
15. Where does Mr. Bell take Margaret to try to cheer her up after her father passes away?
(b) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas ask Mr. Thornton for work?
2. Who writes a letter of reference for work for Nicholas?
3. Where does Mr. Hale pass away?
4. Why does Nicholas need the job with Mr. Thornton?
5. What does Mr. Bell say to Margaret right before he passes away?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)