|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(b) No one.
(c) Irish workers.
2. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
(a) That she is someone she wants to be friends with.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That she is no good.
(d) That she is just delightful.
3. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
4. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She talks about religion.
(b) She sings softly to her.
(c) She gives her illegal alcohol.
(d) She reads her poetry.
5. Who is Bessy?
(a) Someone who is very ill.
(b) The daughter of Mr. Higgins.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) A young woman Margaret wants to become friends with.
6. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(b) Members of Parliament.
(c) No one ever gets invtied there.
(d) The mayor of Milton.
7. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
(a) Because they don't want the factory shut down.
(b) Because they think Mr. Hale should pay for their lunches.
(c) Because they want to improve their work situation.
(d) Because they want women to join them.
8. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) The blisters that develop on her hands.
(b) Her confusion.
(c) Her red cheeks.
(d) Her terrible headaches.
9. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
(a) The landlord agrees to reduce the rent.
(b) The landlord paints over the wallpaper.
(c) The leaky pipes are fixed.
(d) An exorcism is performed.
10. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(b) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(c) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
(d) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
11. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
(b) Mr. Hale.
12. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
13. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she wants to know what is going on.
(b) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(c) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
(d) Because she has a crush on him.
14. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her delightful laugh.
(b) Her stunning red hair.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her long legs.
15. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
(a) He will think she is faking it.
(b) He will become incredibly angry at all of them.
(c) She wants to change the will first.
(d) He will not cope well with the news.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
2. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
3. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
4. How did Bessy become ill?
5. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)