|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her red cheeks.
(b) Her confusion.
(c) Her terrible headaches.
(d) The blisters that develop on her hands.
2. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
(b) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(c) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(d) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
3. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Her entire life.
(b) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
(c) Since the age of 17.
(d) Not very long.
4. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
(c) His ability to leave the house and travel.
(d) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
5. Who is Dixon?
(a) The neighbor's cat.
(b) The Hale's servant.
(c) A nosy neighbor.
(d) Margaret's pet cat.
6. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) The reverend's son.
(d) Mr. Bell.
7. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(c) Buenos Aires.
8. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) Mr. Barton.
(b) An old, blind neighbor.
(c) Mr. Lennox.
(d) Master Luke.
9. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
(a) Master Luke.
(b) Captain Lennox.
(c) Professor Barton.
(d) An unnamed reverend.
10. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
(c) New York City.
11. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
12. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
(b) Margaret's new private tutor.
(c) The town reverend.
(d) The owner of the local mill.
13. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As loud and obnoxious.
(b) As eager to make new friends.
(c) As shy.
(d) As drunk.
14. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob laughs very loudly.
(b) The mob goes silent.
(c) The mob begins to pray for her.
(d) The mob starts to cheer.
15. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
(a) A flowing stream.
(b) A wild deer.
(c) Small wildflowers that are in bloom.
(d) A squatter's cottage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
2. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
3. In what country does "North and South" take place?
4. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
5. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)