|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) The strike.
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
2. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob starts to cheer.
(b) The mob goes silent.
(c) The mob begins to pray for her.
(d) The mob laughs very loudly.
3. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
(a) Seeing all the fine shops.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Being in London.
(d) Remembering shopping for her wedding dress.
4. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To be written into the will.
(b) To be her nurse.
(c) To inherit her jewelry.
(d) To be allowed to go out more.
5. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her long legs.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her stunning red hair.
(d) Her delightful laugh.
6. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she is beginning to like him.
(b) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
(c) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
(d) That she both fears and respects him.
7. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
(a) That she is annoying and dumb.
(b) That she is loud and obnoxious.
(c) That she is shy and beautiful.
(d) That she is uppity and rude.
8. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
(a) That she is someone she wants to be friends with.
(b) That she is just delightful.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) That she is no good.
9. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She talks about religion.
(b) She reads her poetry.
(c) She sings softly to her.
(d) She gives her illegal alcohol.
10. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(b) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
(d) A letter from Edith.
11. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To see her son again.
(b) To die a rich woman.
(c) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
(d) To return to London.
12. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(b) Given Bessy a pedicure.
(c) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
(d) Given Bessy a back massage.
13. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(b) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
(c) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(d) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
14. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
(a) Mr. Bell.
(b) The reverend's son.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
15. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(b) Buenos Aires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
2. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
3. Who wrote "North and South"
4. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
5. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)