|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(b) Given Bessy a back massage.
(c) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
(d) Given Bessy a pedicure.
2. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
3. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) How authoritative he sounds.
(b) How rich he is.
(c) How handsome he is.
(d) How rude he is.
4. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
(a) Buenos Aires.
(b) Washington, D.C.
5. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
(a) That the one she has is making her sicker.
(b) That the one she has is the only thing keeping her from death's door.
(c) That she needs one for her health.
(d) That the one she has could be sold for a lot of money.
6. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Her entire life.
(b) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
(c) Not very long.
(d) Since the age of 17.
7. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To not become friends with her.
(b) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
(c) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
(d) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
8. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(b) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
(c) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
(d) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
9. Why does Mr. Thornton claim to need to visit Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) To turn down her offer of marriage.
(b) To thank her.
(c) To tell her to never bother him again.
(d) To talk about her drinking problem.
10. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
(a) Because she spread rumors about her.
(b) Because she stole her boyfriend.
(c) She is not annoyed, just jealous of her beautiful clothes.
(d) Because she never came to visit.
11. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(b) Mrs. Hale.
12. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Work on a farm.
(b) Read more books.
(c) Visit a factory.
(d) Get a real job.
13. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) His distrust of Parliament.
(b) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(c) The weather.
(d) The English soccer team.
14. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(a) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
(b) A letter from Edith.
15. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Burst into tears.
(c) Accuse him of being a liar.
(d) Roll her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
2. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
3. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
4. Who is Dixon?
5. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)