|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas smoke?
(c) This is a trick question; he doesn't smoke.
2. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mr. Hale.
3. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
(a) That she is someone she wants to be friends with.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That she is just delightful.
(d) That she is no good.
4. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
(b) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
(c) That she is beginning to like him.
(d) That she both fears and respects him.
5. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
(a) Because they want women to join them.
(b) Because they don't want the factory shut down.
(c) Because they want to improve their work situation.
(d) Because they think Mr. Hale should pay for their lunches.
6. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) New York City.
7. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) The mayor of Milton.
(b) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(c) Members of Parliament.
(d) No one ever gets invtied there.
8. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her wit.
(b) Her lack of manners.
(c) Her rudeness.
(d) Her beauty.
9. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she wants to know what is going on.
(b) Because she has a crush on him.
(c) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(d) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
10. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
(a) Mr. Hale.
11. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her delightful laugh.
(c) Her long legs.
(d) Her stunning red hair.
12. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) The way her hair is done.
(b) The bracelet she is wearing.
(c) Her beautiful singing voice.
(d) Her lipstick.
13. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As eager to make new friends.
(b) As drunk.
(c) As loud and obnoxious.
(d) As shy.
14. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She gives her illegal alcohol.
(b) She reads her poetry.
(c) She sings softly to her.
(d) She talks about religion.
15. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) Margaret's new private tutor.
(b) The owner of the local mill.
(c) The town reverend.
(d) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary?
2. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
3. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
4. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)