|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
(b) That she is beginning to like him.
(c) That she both fears and respects him.
(d) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
2. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(d) That any woman would have done the same thing.
3. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
(a) Better treatment at the mills.
(c) More problems than they're worth.
(d) More money for the family.
4. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Given Bessy a back massage.
(b) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
(c) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(d) Given Bessy a pedicure.
5. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) How rich he is.
(b) How rude he is.
(c) How handsome he is.
(d) How authoritative he sounds.
6. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
(a) Living in the South.
(b) Having a boyfriend.
(c) Not having smoked cigarettes for so long.
(d) Having money for a real doctor.
7. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A priest.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A reporter.
(d) A landlord.
8. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
(a) A squatter's cottage.
(b) A wild deer.
(c) Small wildflowers that are in bloom.
(d) A flowing stream.
9. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
(a) That she has cancer.
(b) That she will not make it through the night.
(c) That she is faking it.
(d) That she just needs a rest.
10. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(d) Spain and France.
11. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) She seriously embarrasses herself and her family.
(b) She is knocked out from a thrown rock.
(c) Everyone in town starts teasing her terribly.
(d) She breaks her ankle.
12. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(d) Mr. Lennox.
13. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(b) Members of Parliament.
(c) The mayor of Milton.
(d) No one ever gets invtied there.
14. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her lack of manners.
(b) Her wit.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her rudeness.
15. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Work on a farm.
(b) Read more books.
(c) Visit a factory.
(d) Get a real job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bessy?
2. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
3. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
4. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
5. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)