|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob starts to cheer.
(b) The mob begins to pray for her.
(c) The mob laughs very loudly.
(d) The mob goes silent.
2. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
3. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) From being outside in the cold too often.
(d) From working in the cotton factory.
4. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(d) Buenos Aires.
5. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her delightful laugh.
(b) Her long legs.
(c) Her stunning red hair.
(d) Her beauty.
6. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
(a) Being in London.
(b) Seeing all the fine shops.
(c) Remembering shopping for her wedding dress.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
7. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(b) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(c) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
(d) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
8. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Imitate him.
(c) Join him in a jousting match.
(d) Pick him up and throw him into the sea.
9. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
10. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
(a) Because they do not have any spirit.
(b) Because they are all very rich.
(c) Because they are too lazy.
(d) Because they are all paid fairly.
11. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(b) Given Bessy a pedicure.
(c) Given Bessy a back massage.
(d) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
12. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(b) Mr. Lennox.
13. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
(a) The landlord paints over the wallpaper.
(b) The landlord agrees to reduce the rent.
(c) The leaky pipes are fixed.
(d) An exorcism is performed.
14. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working in a factory.
(b) Running a school.
(c) Working as a private tutor.
(d) Being an artist.
15. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
(a) She is not annoyed, just jealous of her beautiful clothes.
(b) Because she spread rumors about her.
(c) Because she never came to visit.
(d) Because she stole her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
2. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
3. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
5. What does Nicholas smoke?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)