|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A landlord.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A priest.
2. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) Buenos Aires.
3. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her red cheeks.
(b) The blisters that develop on her hands.
(c) Her terrible headaches.
(d) Her confusion.
4. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mr. Hale.
5. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(b) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(c) Because she came uninvited.
(d) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
6. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She sings softly to her.
(b) She reads her poetry.
(c) She gives her illegal alcohol.
(d) She talks about religion.
7. Why does Mr. Thornton claim to need to visit Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) To turn down her offer of marriage.
(b) To tell her to never bother him again.
(c) To thank her.
(d) To talk about her drinking problem.
8. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
9. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
(b) Mr. Hale.
10. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
(a) Join him in a jousting match.
(b) Imitate him.
(c) Beat him.
(d) Pick him up and throw him into the sea.
11. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he is embarrassed she would be seen in public with him.
(c) That he finds her very strange and silly.
(d) That he thinks she has gone mad.
12. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
13. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
(a) Because she stole some of her family jewelry.
(b) Because she was invited to the ball when no one else was.
(c) Because she doesn't see her son as amazing.
(d) Because she finds her looks threatening.
14. Who is Bessy?
(a) The daughter of Mr. Higgins.
(b) Someone who is very ill.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) A young woman Margaret wants to become friends with.
15. Who is Dixon?
(a) A nosy neighbor.
(b) The Hale's servant.
(c) Margaret's pet cat.
(d) The neighbor's cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
2. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
3. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
4. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
5. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)