|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) Everyone in town starts teasing her terribly.
(b) She breaks her ankle.
(c) She is knocked out from a thrown rock.
(d) She seriously embarrasses herself and her family.
2. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A landlord.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A priest.
(d) A reporter.
3. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
(a) No one goes to the party because the workers are on strike.
(b) Mr. Hale and Margaret.
4. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) No one ever gets invtied there.
(b) Members of Parliament.
(c) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(d) The mayor of Milton.
5. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
(a) More problems than they're worth.
(b) More money for the family.
(d) Better treatment at the mills.
6. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
(b) That she is beginning to like him.
(c) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
(d) That she both fears and respects him.
7. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob starts to cheer.
(b) The mob laughs very loudly.
(c) The mob begins to pray for her.
(d) The mob goes silent.
8. Who is Bessy?
(a) A young woman Margaret wants to become friends with.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Someone who is very ill.
(d) The daughter of Mr. Higgins.
9. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
(b) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(c) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(d) Because she came uninvited.
10. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
(a) Lung disease.
(b) Oshgoodslaughter's disease.
(c) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) He never names it.
11. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(b) Her refined dress sense.
(c) Her long legs.
(d) Her funny way of speaking.
12. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(b) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(c) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
(d) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
13. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
14. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her stunning red hair.
(c) Her long legs.
(d) Her delightful laugh.
15. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(c) Spain and France.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
2. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
3. Who is Fanny?
4. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
5. How did Bessy become ill?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)