|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
(a) That she will get better in three to six months.
(b) That someone is poisoning her.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she is faking it.
2. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
3. What does Nicholas smoke?
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't smoke.
4. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Being in London.
(c) Seeing all the fine shops.
(d) Remembering shopping for her wedding dress.
5. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
(a) Not having smoked cigarettes for so long.
(b) Having a boyfriend.
(c) Having money for a real doctor.
(d) Living in the South.
6. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To die a rich woman.
(b) To return to London.
(c) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
(d) To see her son again.
7. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
8. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(c) Spain and France.
9. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her long legs.
(b) Her stunning red hair.
(c) Her delightful laugh.
(d) Her beauty.
10. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) The butlers.
(b) The men.
(c) The women.
(d) The kitchen staff.
11. Who is Dixon?
(a) The neighbor's cat.
(b) A nosy neighbor.
(c) The Hale's servant.
(d) Margaret's pet cat.
12. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her fashionable shoes.
(b) Her bright makeup.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her beautiful shawls.
13. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mr. Hale.
14. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) Her funny way of speaking.
(b) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(c) Her refined dress sense.
(d) Her long legs.
15. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
(a) A broken dish.
(b) His early departure for his train.
(c) The ridiculous-looking dessert.
(d) A funny joke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Thornton claim to need to visit Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
2. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
3. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
4. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
5. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)