|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
(b) To not become friends with her.
(c) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
(d) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
2. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) The men.
(b) The kitchen staff.
(c) The women.
(d) The butlers.
3. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
4. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
(b) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(c) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
(d) Mrs. Hale's brother.
5. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
(a) It floods every year in the basement.
(b) It is haunted.
(c) It is way too expensive.
(d) The ghastly wallpaper.
6. Who is Mary?
(a) Bessy's daughter.
(b) Bessy's sister.
(c) Bessy's mother.
(d) Bessy's auntie.
7. Where do the Hales stop for a few days on their way to Milton?
(b) Buenos Aires.
(d) New York City.
8. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the crowd.
(b) From the attic.
(c) From behind the front door.
(d) From the street.
9. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) Her beautiful singing voice.
(b) The bracelet she is wearing.
(c) Her lipstick.
(d) The way her hair is done.
10. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(b) Because she came uninvited.
(c) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
(d) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
11. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(a) Irish workers.
(d) No one.
12. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
(b) That she both fears and respects him.
(c) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
(d) That she is beginning to like him.
13. What does Nicholas smoke?
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't smoke.
14. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) The strike.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
15. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) From working in the cotton factory.
(d) From being outside in the cold too often.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bessy?
2. Who is Mr. Bell?
3. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
4. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
5. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)