|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) None of these answers is correct.
(b) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
(c) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
(d) His ability to leave the house and travel.
2. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
(b) Mrs. Thornton.
3. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her lack of manners.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her wit.
(d) Her rudeness.
4. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To die a rich woman.
(b) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
(c) To see her son again.
(d) To return to London.
5. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) She seriously embarrasses herself and her family.
(b) She breaks her ankle.
(c) She is knocked out from a thrown rock.
(d) Everyone in town starts teasing her terribly.
6. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
(a) That the one she has is making her sicker.
(b) That she needs one for her health.
(c) That the one she has is the only thing keeping her from death's door.
(d) That the one she has could be sold for a lot of money.
7. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
(b) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(c) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
(d) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
8. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(b) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(c) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
(d) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
9. What kind act has Mary done for Bessy that Margaret sees when she comes for a visit one day?
(a) Given Bessy lots of pain medicine.
(b) Given Bessy a back massage.
(c) Tidies up and put Bessy in front of a roaring fire.
(d) Given Bessy a pedicure.
10. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(c) Spain and France.
11. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
(c) Buenos Aires.
12. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) The mayor of Milton.
(b) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(c) No one ever gets invtied there.
(d) Members of Parliament.
13. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
(a) That she is someone she wants to be friends with.
(b) That she is no good.
(c) That she is just delightful.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
14. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) Her funny way of speaking.
(b) Her long legs.
(c) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(d) Her refined dress sense.
15. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
(a) That she is beginning to like him.
(b) That she think he is as much of an arrogant jerk as ever.
(c) That she both fears and respects him.
(d) That she thinks he is secretly in love with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
2. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
3. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
5. Who is Mary?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)