|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
(a) That she is uppity and rude.
(b) That she is shy and beautiful.
(c) That she is annoying and dumb.
(d) That she is loud and obnoxious.
2. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
(a) Because they are too lazy.
(b) Because they are all paid fairly.
(c) Because they are all very rich.
(d) Because they do not have any spirit.
3. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(b) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(c) Because she came uninvited.
(d) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
4. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
(a) Because she was invited to the ball when no one else was.
(b) Because she finds her looks threatening.
(c) Because she doesn't see her son as amazing.
(d) Because she stole some of her family jewelry.
5. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
(c) New York City.
6. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As eager to make new friends.
(b) As shy.
(c) As drunk.
(d) As loud and obnoxious.
7. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
(a) A squatter's cottage.
(b) A wild deer.
(c) Small wildflowers that are in bloom.
(d) A flowing stream.
8. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(b) A letter from Edith.
(d) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
9. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
(a) The ridiculous-looking dessert.
(b) A broken dish.
(c) His early departure for his train.
(d) A funny joke.
10. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Read more books.
(b) Get a real job.
(c) Work on a farm.
(d) Visit a factory.
11. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
12. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
13. Where do the Hales stop for a few days on their way to Milton?
(a) New York City.
(d) Buenos Aires.
14. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) She doesn't; she just accidentally trips.
(b) Because she tries to protect him.
(c) Because she is in love with him.
(d) Because she wants him to run her over.
15. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working as a private tutor.
(b) Running a school.
(c) Working in a factory.
(d) Being an artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fanny?
2. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
3. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
4. Who is Bessy?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)