|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) That he finds her very strange and silly.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he thinks she has gone mad.
(d) That he is embarrassed she would be seen in public with him.
2. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
(a) It is way too expensive.
(b) It is haunted.
(c) It floods every year in the basement.
(d) The ghastly wallpaper.
3. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
(a) Master Luke.
(b) Professor Barton.
(c) Captain Lennox.
(d) An unnamed reverend.
4. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
(a) Because they want to improve their work situation.
(b) Because they want women to join them.
(c) Because they don't want the factory shut down.
(d) Because they think Mr. Hale should pay for their lunches.
5. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(b) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
6. During dinner with Mr. Thornton at their home, who admits to not liking the dirty air in Milton?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mr. Hale.
7. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A priest.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A landlord.
(d) A reporter.
8. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
(a) The landlord agrees to reduce the rent.
(b) The leaky pipes are fixed.
(c) The landlord paints over the wallpaper.
(d) An exorcism is performed.
9. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
(a) That she is faking it.
(b) That she has cancer.
(c) That she just needs a rest.
(d) That she will not make it through the night.
10. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(b) A letter from Edith.
(d) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
11. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
12. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(b) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
(c) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
(d) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
13. Who is Fanny?
(a) Margaret's piano teacher.
(b) Margaret's new pen pal.
(c) Mrs. Thornton's house servant.
(d) Mrs. Thornton's daughter.
14. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) An old friend of Mr. Hale.
(b) The man Margaret is in love with when the novel opens.
(c) The newspaper delivery man.
(d) A nosy neighbor.
15. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(b) The strike.
(c) Mr. Thornton.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Bessy become ill?
2. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
3. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
4. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
5. Who is Bessy?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)