|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She reads her poetry.
(b) She talks about religion.
(c) She sings softly to her.
(d) She gives her illegal alcohol.
2. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
3. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Magdalena Avenue.
(b) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Harley Street.
(d) An unnamed country road.
4. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) The way her hair is done.
(b) The bracelet she is wearing.
(c) Her lipstick.
(d) Her beautiful singing voice.
5. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
(b) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
(c) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(d) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
6. Who is Fanny?
(a) Mrs. Thornton's house servant.
(b) Margaret's piano teacher.
(c) Margaret's new pen pal.
(d) Mrs. Thornton's daughter.
7. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) His ability to leave the house and travel.
(b) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
8. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As shy.
(b) As eager to make new friends.
(c) As drunk.
(d) As loud and obnoxious.
9. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
(b) The town reverend.
(c) Margaret's new private tutor.
(d) The owner of the local mill.
10. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
11. What does Bessy think would make her be less ill?
(a) Having money for a real doctor.
(b) Having a boyfriend.
(c) Living in the South.
(d) Not having smoked cigarettes for so long.
12. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
(a) Because they want to improve their work situation.
(b) Because they don't want the factory shut down.
(c) Because they think Mr. Hale should pay for their lunches.
(d) Because they want women to join them.
13. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
(a) The landlord paints over the wallpaper.
(b) The leaky pipes are fixed.
(c) An exorcism is performed.
(d) The landlord agrees to reduce the rent.
14. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the crowd.
(b) From behind the front door.
(c) From the street.
(d) From the attic.
15. Who is Dixon?
(a) The Hale's servant.
(b) Margaret's pet cat.
(c) A nosy neighbor.
(d) The neighbor's cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
2. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
3. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
4. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)