|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Eleanor Gaskell.
(b) Edmund Gaskell.
(c) Elizabeth Gaskell.
(d) Edward Gaskell.
2. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
(b) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(c) Because she has a crush on him.
(d) Because she wants to know what is going on.
3. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her delightful laugh.
(b) Her stunning red hair.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her long legs.
4. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
(a) Oshgoodslaughter's disease.
(b) He never names it.
(c) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) Lung disease.
5. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
(b) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(c) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
(d) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
6. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(b) Mr. Thornton.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
(d) The strike.
7. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
(a) That she is faking it.
(b) That she is dying.
(c) That she will get better in three to six months.
(d) That someone is poisoning her.
8. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
(a) His early departure for his train.
(b) A funny joke.
(c) A broken dish.
(d) The ridiculous-looking dessert.
9. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A priest.
(d) A landlord.
10. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(b) Spain and France.
11. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
(a) To die a rich woman.
(b) To see her daughter (Margaret) married.
(c) To return to London.
(d) To see her son again.
12. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) Her funny way of speaking.
(b) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(c) Her long legs.
(d) Her refined dress sense.
13. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
(d) Mr. Hale.
14. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From being outside in the cold too often.
(b) From working in the cotton factory.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
15. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
2. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
3. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
4. During dinner at the Hales', who does Mr. Thornton say has an easy life?
5. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)