|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From being outside in the cold too often.
(b) From working in the cotton factory.
(c) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
(d) She doesn't know.
2. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Not very long.
(b) Since the age of 17.
(c) Her entire life.
(d) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
3. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
(a) Because she spread rumors about her.
(b) Because she never came to visit.
(c) Because she stole her boyfriend.
(d) She is not annoyed, just jealous of her beautiful clothes.
4. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
5. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As loud and obnoxious.
(b) As shy.
(c) As eager to make new friends.
(d) As drunk.
6. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) The owner of the local mill.
(b) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
(c) Margaret's new private tutor.
(d) The town reverend.
7. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she wants to know what is going on.
(b) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
(c) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(d) Because she has a crush on him.
8. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(b) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
(c) A letter from Edith.
9. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A nun.
(c) A teacher.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
10. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(a) No one.
(b) Irish workers.
11. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the street.
(b) From behind the front door.
(c) From the attic.
(d) From the crowd.
12. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
(b) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
(c) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
(d) To not become friends with her.
13. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) The men.
(b) The kitchen staff.
(c) The butlers.
(d) The women.
14. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob goes silent.
(b) The mob starts to cheer.
(c) The mob begins to pray for her.
(d) The mob laughs very loudly.
15. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) The newspaper delivery man.
(b) A nosy neighbor.
(c) An old friend of Mr. Hale.
(d) The man Margaret is in love with when the novel opens.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
2. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
3. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
4. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
5. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)