|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he thinks she has gone mad.
(c) That he is embarrassed she would be seen in public with him.
(d) That he finds her very strange and silly.
2. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(a) Mr. Lennox.
3. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
(a) That she is annoying and dumb.
(b) That she is uppity and rude.
(c) That she is loud and obnoxious.
(d) That she is shy and beautiful.
4. Who is Bessy?
(a) A young woman Margaret wants to become friends with.
(b) The daughter of Mr. Higgins.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Someone who is very ill.
5. Who comforts Mrs. Hale after she learns she will be moving to Milton?
(b) Mr. Hale.
6. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
(a) A nurse.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A nun.
7. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) The English soccer team.
(b) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(c) His distrust of Parliament.
(d) The weather.
8. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
(a) A wild deer.
(b) A flowing stream.
(c) Small wildflowers that are in bloom.
(d) A squatter's cottage.
9. During dinner with Mr. Thornton at their home, who admits to not liking the dirty air in Milton?
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(d) Mr. Hale.
10. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
(b) Not very long.
(c) Her entire life.
(d) Since the age of 17.
11. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Work on a farm.
(b) Read more books.
(c) Visit a factory.
(d) Get a real job.
12. Who is Dixon?
(a) A nosy neighbor.
(b) Margaret's pet cat.
(c) The Hale's servant.
(d) The neighbor's cat.
13. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
(a) He never names it.
(b) Oshgoodslaughter's disease.
(c) Cystic fibrosis.
(d) Lung disease.
14. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
(a) Because they are all paid fairly.
(b) Because they are too lazy.
(c) Because they do not have any spirit.
(d) Because they are all very rich.
15. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
(b) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(c) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
(d) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
2. How did Bessy become ill?
3. During dinner at the Hales', who does Mr. Thornton say has an easy life?
4. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
5. How is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton solved?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)