|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her red cheeks.
(b) Her terrible headaches.
(c) The blisters that develop on her hands.
(d) Her confusion.
2. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
(b) Margaret's new private tutor.
(c) The owner of the local mill.
(d) The town reverend.
3. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
4. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To be her nurse.
(b) To be allowed to go out more.
(c) To be written into the will.
(d) To inherit her jewelry.
5. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) Her long legs.
(b) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(c) Her funny way of speaking.
(d) Her refined dress sense.
6. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(b) No one ever gets invtied there.
(c) Members of Parliament.
(d) The mayor of Milton.
7. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
8. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(b) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
(c) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(d) Because she came uninvited.
9. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(b) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(c) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
10. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
11. What happens to Margaret as a result of her throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) She breaks her ankle.
(b) Everyone in town starts teasing her terribly.
(c) She seriously embarrasses herself and her family.
(d) She is knocked out from a thrown rock.
12. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(b) The weather.
(c) The English soccer team.
(d) His distrust of Parliament.
13. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Elizabeth Gaskell.
(b) Edmund Gaskell.
(c) Eleanor Gaskell.
(d) Edward Gaskell.
14. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) To keep guard against intruders.
(b) To wait for Mr. Thornton to arrive and propose to Margaret.
(c) To keep watch over Mr. Hale.
(d) To catch up on gossip.
15. Why is Bessy annoyed with Margaret upon seeing her after they first met?
(a) Because she never came to visit.
(b) She is not annoyed, just jealous of her beautiful clothes.
(c) Because she spread rumors about her.
(d) Because she stole her boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
2. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
3. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
4. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
5. How did Bessy become ill?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)