|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
(a) Another servant.
(b) Holy water.
(c) A priest.
(d) A trip to Paris.
2. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) How rich he is.
(b) How rude he is.
(c) How authoritative he sounds.
(d) How handsome he is.
3. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(b) The strike.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
4. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(b) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
(c) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(d) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
5. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Not very long.
(b) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
(c) Her entire life.
(d) Since the age of 17.
6. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her rudeness.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her lack of manners.
(d) Her wit.
7. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her confusion.
(b) The blisters that develop on her hands.
(c) Her red cheeks.
(d) Her terrible headaches.
8. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the crowd.
(b) From the street.
(c) From behind the front door.
(d) From the attic.
9. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(c) Mr. Lennox.
10. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) To wait for Mr. Thornton to arrive and propose to Margaret.
(b) To keep watch over Mr. Hale.
(c) To catch up on gossip.
(d) To keep guard against intruders.
11. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To inherit her jewelry.
(b) To be her nurse.
(c) To be allowed to go out more.
(d) To be written into the will.
12. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A priest.
(c) A landlord.
(d) A teacher.
13. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Magdalena Avenue.
(b) Harley Street.
(c) An unnamed country road.
(d) Fifth Avenue.
14. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
(a) Join him in a jousting match.
(b) Beat him.
(c) Imitate him.
(d) Pick him up and throw him into the sea.
15. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
(a) He will think she is faking it.
(b) She wants to change the will first.
(c) He will become incredibly angry at all of them.
(d) He will not cope well with the news.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
2. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
3. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
4. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
5. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)