|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object do Margaret and Mr. Lennox sketch during his first visit to Helstone?
(a) A flowing stream.
(b) A squatter's cottage.
(c) Small wildflowers that are in bloom.
(d) A wild deer.
2. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
(a) Accuse him of being a liar.
(b) Roll her eyes.
(c) Burst into tears.
(d) Leave the room.
3. During dinner at the Hales', who does Mr. Thornton say has an easy life?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
4. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
(a) That she is someone she wants to be friends with.
(b) That she is just delightful.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) That she is no good.
5. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(b) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
(c) A letter from Edith.
6. What feelings does Mr. Thornton confess to Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) That he thinks she has gone mad.
(b) That he finds her very strange and silly.
(c) That he is embarrassed she would be seen in public with him.
(d) That he loves her.
7. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob begins to pray for her.
(b) The mob starts to cheer.
(c) The mob laughs very loudly.
(d) The mob goes silent.
8. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Eleanor Gaskell.
(b) Edmund Gaskell.
(c) Elizabeth Gaskell.
(d) Edward Gaskell.
9. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) His distrust of Parliament.
(b) The English soccer team.
(c) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(d) The weather.
10. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
11. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
(a) She cannot get any messages to him.
(b) By mail.
(c) Through a spy.
(d) Through a homing pigeon.
12. Who is Mary?
(a) Bessy's auntie.
(b) Bessy's sister.
(c) Bessy's daughter.
(d) Bessy's mother.
13. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
(a) Because he does not want his daughter preached to.
(b) Because she came uninvited.
(c) Because she is one more mouth to feed.
(d) Because she might catch and spread Bessy's illness.
14. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(b) Mr. Lennox.
15. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
(a) That she will not make it through the night.
(b) That she has cancer.
(c) That she just needs a rest.
(d) That she is faking it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
2. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
3. What does Margaret confess to her father, after the Thorntons' dinner party, about her opinion of Mr. Thornton?
4. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
5. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)