|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) The bracelet she is wearing.
(b) The way her hair is done.
(c) Her beautiful singing voice.
(d) Her lipstick.
2. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Harley Street.
(b) Fifth Avenue.
(c) Magdalena Avenue.
(d) An unnamed country road.
3. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Working as a private tutor.
(b) Working in a factory.
(c) Running a school.
(d) Being an artist.
4. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
5. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
(a) Better treatment at the mills.
(b) More problems than they're worth.
(d) More money for the family.
6. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A landlord.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A priest.
7. When Mr. Hale begins tutoring in Milton, who is his oldest and best student?
(a) Mr. Thornton.
(c) The reverend's son.
(d) Mr. Bell.
8. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) Margaret's new private tutor.
(b) The owner of the local mill.
(c) The town reverend.
(d) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
9. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her bright makeup.
(b) Her beautiful shawls.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her fashionable shoes.
10. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) How rich he is.
(b) How rude he is.
(c) How handsome he is.
(d) How authoritative he sounds.
11. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Read more books.
(b) Visit a factory.
(c) Work on a farm.
(d) Get a real job.
12. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(c) Irish workers.
(d) No one.
13. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the street.
(b) From behind the front door.
(c) From the attic.
(d) From the crowd.
14. What does the Hale household decide about a water bed and Mrs. Hale?
(a) That the one she has is the only thing keeping her from death's door.
(b) That the one she has is making her sicker.
(c) That she needs one for her health.
(d) That the one she has could be sold for a lot of money.
15. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) To catch up on gossip.
(b) To keep guard against intruders.
(c) To wait for Mr. Thornton to arrive and propose to Margaret.
(d) To keep watch over Mr. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
2. Who wrote "North and South"
3. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
4. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)