|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
(a) Professor Barton.
(b) Master Luke.
(c) An unnamed reverend.
(d) Captain Lennox.
2. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) Master Luke.
(b) Mr. Barton.
(c) An old, blind neighbor.
(d) Mr. Lennox.
3. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
(a) He will think she is faking it.
(b) He will become incredibly angry at all of them.
(c) She wants to change the will first.
(d) He will not cope well with the news.
4. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Since the age of 17.
(b) Not very long.
(c) Her entire life.
(d) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
5. How does Mrs. Hale feel about not hearing the news of her move to Milton from her husband directly?
6. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
(a) Because they do not have any spirit.
(b) Because they are all paid fairly.
(c) Because they are too lazy.
(d) Because they are all very rich.
7. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her red cheeks.
(b) Her terrible headaches.
(c) The blisters that develop on her hands.
(d) Her confusion.
8. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(b) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
(c) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
(d) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
9. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob laughs very loudly.
(b) The mob goes silent.
(c) The mob begins to pray for her.
(d) The mob starts to cheer.
10. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
(a) Lung disease.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(c) Oshgoodslaughter's disease.
(d) He never names it.
11. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(c) Mrs. Thornton.
12. What do Margaret and Mr. Hale talk about during their walk back from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) The strike.
(d) Mr. Thornton.
13. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(b) Spain and France.
14. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(b) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
15. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) The newspaper delivery man.
(b) An old friend of Mr. Hale.
(c) The man Margaret is in love with when the novel opens.
(d) A nosy neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
2. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
3. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
4. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
5. What does Fanny decide about Margaret after dining at her house?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)