|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Thornton challenge the crowd to do to him?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Imitate him.
(c) Join him in a jousting match.
(d) Pick him up and throw him into the sea.
2. What is Mrs. Hale jealous of when it comes to Mr. Hale's tutoring?
(a) The money he makes while she is not allowed to work.
(b) His close relationship with Mr. Thornton.
(c) None of these answers is correct.
(d) His ability to leave the house and travel.
3. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
(a) That she is faking it.
(b) That she just needs a rest.
(c) That she has cancer.
(d) That she will not make it through the night.
4. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(a) No one.
(c) Irish workers.
5. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Get a real job.
(b) Work on a farm.
(c) Read more books.
(d) Visit a factory.
6. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To inherit her jewelry.
(b) To be written into the will.
(c) To be allowed to go out more.
(d) To be her nurse.
7. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
(a) It floods every year in the basement.
(b) It is way too expensive.
(c) The ghastly wallpaper.
(d) It is haunted.
8. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
9. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
10. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(b) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(c) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
11. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) The weather.
(b) The English soccer team.
(c) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(d) His distrust of Parliament.
12. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) From working in the cotton factory.
(b) From being outside in the cold too often.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
13. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Eleanor Gaskell.
(b) Edmund Gaskell.
(c) Edward Gaskell.
(d) Elizabeth Gaskell.
14. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
(a) Buenos Aires.
(b) Washington, D.C.
15. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(d) Spain and France.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Thorntons' big dinner party?
2. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
3. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
4. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
5. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)