|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret confront Dr. Donaldson after he visits her mother for the first time?
(a) Because she wants to know what is going on.
(b) Because she caught him stealing from the family.
(c) Because she has a crush on him.
(d) Because she suspects he is having an affair with her mother.
2. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) An old, blind neighbor.
(b) Mr. Barton.
(c) Mr. Lennox.
(d) Master Luke.
3. Why does Mr. Thornton claim to need to visit Margaret after the incident with the striking workers at his home?
(a) To thank her.
(b) To tell her to never bother him again.
(c) To turn down her offer of marriage.
(d) To talk about her drinking problem.
4. How long has Mrs. Thornton been out and a part of society?
(a) Not very long.
(b) Only since her husband ran away with their housemaid.
(c) Her entire life.
(d) Since the age of 17.
5. Who is Fanny?
(a) Margaret's new pen pal.
(b) Mrs. Thornton's house servant.
(c) Mrs. Thornton's daughter.
(d) Margaret's piano teacher.
6. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(d) That any woman would have done the same thing.
7. During dinner with Mr. Thornton at their home, who admits to not liking the dirty air in Milton?
(b) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
8. How did Bessy become ill?
(a) She doesn't know.
(b) From eating too many poisoned mushrooms.
(c) From being outside in the cold too often.
(d) From working in the cotton factory.
9. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She reads her poetry.
(b) She talks about religion.
(c) She sings softly to her.
(d) She gives her illegal alcohol.
10. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(b) His distrust of Parliament.
(c) The English soccer team.
(d) The weather.
11. What is Mr. Thornton's first impression of Margaret?
(a) That she is shy and beautiful.
(b) That she is uppity and rude.
(c) That she is loud and obnoxious.
(d) That she is annoying and dumb.
12. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
(a) Her confusion.
(b) Her terrible headaches.
(c) Her red cheeks.
(d) The blisters that develop on her hands.
13. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(c) Mrs. Hale.
(d) Mr. Hale.
14. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
(a) Lung disease.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(c) He never names it.
(d) Oshgoodslaughter's disease.
15. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
(a) Through a homing pigeon.
(b) She cannot get any messages to him.
(c) Through a spy.
(d) By mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
2. Who is Mr. Bell?
3. During dinner at the Hales', who does Mr. Thornton say has an easy life?
4. Why does Nicholas get angry about Margaret's visit to Bessy?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)