|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
(a) He will not cope well with the news.
(b) He will become incredibly angry at all of them.
(c) He will think she is faking it.
(d) She wants to change the will first.
2. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
(a) Because she stole some of her family jewelry.
(b) Because she doesn't see her son as amazing.
(c) Because she finds her looks threatening.
(d) Because she was invited to the ball when no one else was.
3. During dinner at the Hales', who does Mr. Thornton say has an easy life?
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) Because she wants him to run her over.
(b) Because she tries to protect him.
(c) Because she is in love with him.
(d) She doesn't; she just accidentally trips.
5. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(b) The weather.
(c) His distrust of Parliament.
(d) The English soccer team.
6. In what country does "North and South" take place?
(b) Spain and France.
7. What does Nicholas smoke?
(a) This is a trick question; he doesn't smoke.
8. How does the mob react to Margaret's throwing herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) The mob goes silent.
(b) The mob laughs very loudly.
(c) The mob starts to cheer.
(d) The mob begins to pray for her.
9. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) An old, blind neighbor.
(b) Mr. Barton.
(c) Mr. Lennox.
(d) Master Luke.
10. Who is Dixon?
(a) A nosy neighbor.
(b) The Hale's servant.
(c) The neighbor's cat.
(d) Margaret's pet cat.
11. What is Dixon professionally trained as?
(a) A teacher.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) A nun.
(d) A nurse.
12. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To be written into the will.
(b) To be allowed to go out more.
(c) To be her nurse.
(d) To inherit her jewelry.
13. Where is Mrs. Hale originally from?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) Buenos Aires.
14. How does Margaret get a message to her brother?
(a) Through a homing pigeon.
(b) She cannot get any messages to him.
(c) By mail.
(d) Through a spy.
15. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
(b) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(c) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(d) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
2. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
3. Who is Mr. Thornton?
4. What does Margaret note about Mr. Thornton during the Thorntons' dinner party?
5. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)