|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gets Margaret noticed upon her arrival in Milton?
(a) Her long legs.
(b) The fact that she always has her nose in a book.
(c) Her refined dress sense.
(d) Her funny way of speaking.
2. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As loud and obnoxious.
(b) As eager to make new friends.
(c) As shy.
(d) As drunk.
3. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Work on a farm.
(b) Read more books.
(c) Visit a factory.
(d) Get a real job.
4. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
(b) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
(c) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
(d) To not become friends with her.
5. What did Mr. Hale expect Margaret to do when Mr. Thornton told his life story during dinner?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Burst into tears.
(c) Accuse him of being a liar.
(d) Roll her eyes.
6. On what street does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) Fifth Avenue.
(b) An unnamed country road.
(c) Harley Street.
(d) Magdalena Avenue.
7. What other character in "North and South" has a water bed?
(d) Mrs. Thornton.
8. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(c) Irish workers.
(d) No one.
9. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(b) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(c) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
10. Who does Dixon NOT have respect for?
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
11. Where do the Hales stop for a few days on their way to Milton?
(b) Buenos Aires.
(d) New York City.
12. From where is Margaret initially watching Mr. Thornton address the striking workers outside of his home?
(a) From the street.
(b) From the crowd.
(c) From behind the front door.
(d) From the attic.
13. During Mr. Lennox' first visit to Margaret in Helstone, what does he bring her?
(b) A letter from Edith.
(c) Beautiful fabric for a new dress.
14. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
(a) A broken dish.
(b) The ridiculous-looking dessert.
(c) A funny joke.
(d) His early departure for his train.
15. Why does Margaret throw herself in front of Mr. Thornton?
(a) Because she is in love with him.
(b) Because she wants him to run her over.
(c) She doesn't; she just accidentally trips.
(d) Because she tries to protect him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unlocks the door for Mr. Thornton as he prepares to address the angry mob outside his home?
2. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
3. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
4. Who is Frederick?
5. What does Mr. Hale think his wife needs to deal with her illness?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)