|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
2. Why are the men of the town threatening to go on strike?
(a) Because they think Mr. Hale should pay for their lunches.
(b) Because they want to improve their work situation.
(c) Because they want women to join them.
(d) Because they don't want the factory shut down.
3. Why does the entire Hale household stay up all night after Margaret and Mr. Hale return from the Thorntons' dinner party?
(a) To keep guard against intruders.
(b) To keep watch over Mr. Hale.
(c) To wait for Mr. Thornton to arrive and propose to Margaret.
(d) To catch up on gossip.
4. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
(a) An old, blind neighbor.
(b) Master Luke.
(c) Mr. Lennox.
(d) Mr. Barton.
5. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
(a) Because they are all very rich.
(b) Because they are all paid fairly.
(c) Because they are too lazy.
(d) Because they do not have any spirit.
6. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(b) The English soccer team.
(c) The weather.
(d) His distrust of Parliament.
7. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She sings softly to her.
(b) She reads her poetry.
(c) She talks about religion.
(d) She gives her illegal alcohol.
8. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
(b) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(c) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(d) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
9. Who does Mr. Hale ask to tell Mrs. Hale about their move to Milton?
(c) Mr. Lennox.
10. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(d) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
11. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) No one ever gets invtied there.
(b) The mayor of Milton.
(c) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(d) Members of Parliament.
12. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her stunning red hair.
(c) Her delightful laugh.
(d) Her long legs.
13. Who does Mr. Thornton hire to take over for the striking workers?
(a) Irish workers.
(b) No one.
14. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To be allowed to go out more.
(b) To be written into the will.
(c) To be her nurse.
(d) To inherit her jewelry.
15. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Mr. Hale about Margaret and Mrs. Hale's health?
(a) That Margaret was right in keeping it a secret.
(b) That Mrs. Hale rants against Margaret in her sleep.
(c) That Margaret would make a great nurse.
(d) That Margaret is probably the person poisoning Mrs. Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dixon?
2. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
3. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
4. In what country does "North and South" take place?
5. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret about her mother's health after he visits her for the first time?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)