|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thornton?
(a) A weird guy who just wanders around town.
(b) The town reverend.
(c) Margaret's new private tutor.
(d) The owner of the local mill.
2. Who is Fanny?
(a) Mrs. Thornton's house servant.
(b) Margaret's piano teacher.
(c) Margaret's new pen pal.
(d) Mrs. Thornton's daughter.
3. What do the men of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her stunning red hair.
(b) Her delightful laugh.
(c) Her long legs.
(d) Her beauty.
4. In what city does Aunt Shaw live?
(a) New York City.
5. During the tense argument between Mr. THronton and the Hales during their first dinner together, what does Mr. Hale change the topic to to relieve the tension?
(a) His distrust of Parliament.
(b) A recent editorial in the newspaper.
(c) The weather.
(d) The English soccer team.
6. What about Margaret takes Mr. Thornton aback during the dinner party?
(a) Her rudeness.
(b) Her lack of manners.
(c) Her wit.
(d) Her beauty.
7. What advice does Mrs. Thornton give her daughter about Margaret?
(a) To not become friends with her.
(b) To become friendly so she can steal her money.
(c) To keep an eye out for her; she seems untrustworthy.
(d) To stick by her, as that girl is going places!
8. What kind of work has Mr. Hale secured for himself in Milton?
(a) Running a school.
(b) Working as a private tutor.
(c) Being an artist.
(d) Working in a factory.
9. According to Bessy, who usually gets invitations to the Thornton's house?
(a) Members of Parliament and the mayor of Milton.
(b) No one ever gets invtied there.
(c) Members of Parliament.
(d) The mayor of Milton.
10. What does Dr. Donaldson tell Margaret the name of her mother's illnes is?
(a) Lung disease.
(b) Cystic fibrosis.
(c) He never names it.
(d) Oshgoodslaughter's disease.
11. What does Margaret say to Mr. Thornton about her throwing herself in front of him before the crowd of striking workers?
(a) That she would have done the same thing for any man.
(b) That any woman would have done the same thing.
(c) That she did not help him because she loves him.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
12. According to Nicholas, why do the workers of the South not strike?
(a) Because they are too lazy.
(b) Because they are all very rich.
(c) Because they do not have any spirit.
(d) Because they are all paid fairly.
13. What is the one problem with the house Mr. Hale and Margaret pick out in Milton?
(a) It is haunted.
(b) It floods every year in the basement.
(c) The ghastly wallpaper.
(d) It is way too expensive.
14. During his first dinner at the Hales' home, what does Mr. Thornton obsess about with Margaret?
(a) Her beautiful singing voice.
(b) The bracelet she is wearing.
(c) Her lipstick.
(d) The way her hair is done.
15. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
(a) Read more books.
(b) Get a real job.
(c) Work on a farm.
(d) Visit a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
2. Who spends most of the time talking to Fanny during dinner at the Hales'?
3. What does Margaret think is the first sign of illness in her mother?
4. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
5. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)