|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through XVI-XX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She sings softly to her.
(b) She reads her poetry.
(c) She gives her illegal alcohol.
(d) She talks about religion.
2. Who is Mr. Bell?
(a) An old friend of Mr. Hale.
(b) The newspaper delivery man.
(c) The man Margaret is in love with when the novel opens.
(d) A nosy neighbor.
3. Who wrote "North and South"
(a) Edward Gaskell.
(b) Edmund Gaskell.
(c) Eleanor Gaskell.
(d) Elizabeth Gaskell.
4. What do the women of Milton admire Margaret for?
(a) Her bright makeup.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her fashionable shoes.
(d) Her beautiful shawls.
5. What does Margaret ask of her mother when she learns she is sick?
(a) To inherit her jewelry.
(b) To be written into the will.
(c) To be allowed to go out more.
(d) To be her nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
2. Who is Dixon?
3. What lightens Mrs. Hale's miserable mood after the Hales have begun their journey to Milton?
4. Who does Margaret enjoy hanging out with the most during the Thorntons' dinner party?
5. What does Margaret tell Mr. Hale about Dr. Donaldson's diagnosis of her mother?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)