|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through XLI-XLV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
(a) A broken dish.
(b) His early departure for his train.
(c) The ridiculous-looking dessert.
(d) A funny joke.
2. How does Nicholas feel about books?
(a) He doesn't trust them.
(b) He thinks they have secret messages inside.
(c) He worships them.
(d) He is afraid of them because he can't read.
3. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
(a) She talks about religion.
(b) She reads her poetry.
(c) She gives her illegal alcohol.
(d) She sings softly to her.
4. According to Bessy, what have Nicholas' previous strikes led to?
(a) More problems than they're worth.
(b) Better treatment at the mills.
(d) More money for the family.
5. Who is Dr. Donaldson?
(a) The doctor who everyone thinks has gone mad.
(b) The doctor recommended by Mrs. Thornton to Mr. Hale.
(c) The doctor interested in dating Margaret.
(d) The doctor charged with giving everyone flu shots.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Thornton react to his mother's harsh words about Margaret after she turns down his marriage proposal?
2. Where is Frederick Hale living when the novel opens?
3. Who writes a letter of reference for work for Nicholas?
4. Why does Margaret not immediately tell her father about her mother's diagnosis?
5. What one request does Mrs. Hale make as her life comes to an end?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)