|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through XI-XV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the novel opens, where does the Hale family live?
2. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Thornton's presence when going to dinner at the Hales'?
(a) As eager to make new friends.
(b) As loud and obnoxious.
(c) As drunk.
(d) As shy.
3. Who is Frederick?
(a) Mrs. Hale's brother.
(b) Mrs. Hale's weird cat.
(c) Mrs. Hale's first husband.
(d) Mrs. Hale's first house servant.
4. Why does Mrs. Thornton curse Margaret when she first hears about her?
(a) Because she doesn't see her son as amazing.
(b) Because she stole some of her family jewelry.
(c) Because she was invited to the ball when no one else was.
(d) Because she finds her looks threatening.
5. Who is Dixon?
(a) The Hale's servant.
(b) The neighbor's cat.
(c) A nosy neighbor.
(d) Margaret's pet cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Thornton claim Margaret must do to learn something about life?
2. What relieves the tension after Mr. Lennox' romantic outburst during his first visit to Helstone to see Margaret?
3. Who confesses his love to Margaret after they fetch pears from the garden?
4. When the novel opens, who is Edith engaged to?
5. How does Margaret comfort Bessy when she visits her at home for the first time?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)