|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mead made from?
2. What color hair does the king of the giants of Utgard have in "Thor's Journey to the Land of the Giants"?
3. What does Thiazi find on the ground by Idunn's chamber, leading him to know who took her in "The Apples of Immortality"?
4. What is the name of the king of the giants at Utgard in "Thor's Journey to the Land of the Giants"?
5. What word is defined as meaning "drill" in "The Mead of Poets"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thor attempt to wake Skrymir when they travel together?
2. How is Thialfi's family and home described in "Thor's Journey to the Land of the Giants"?
3. How is the setting of Jotunheim described? Who lives here?
4. How does Loki manage to appease Skadi in "The Apples of Immortality"?
5. How does Loki steal the apples of immortality for the second time in this story?
6. Who is Tyr? What story does he appear in?
7. Why does Odin go to Baugi's home in “The Mead of Poets"?
8. How was Kvasir created?
9. What does Loki do for comic relief in "The Apples of Immortality"?
10. Where does Frey go with Skirnir in order to obtain his objective in "The Story of Gerd and Frey"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Odin in the stories of Norse Mythology. What are the main characteristics that Odin exhibits? What are his actions in the stories? What motivates Odin? Does Odin have a tragic flaw?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of "the Other" as demonstrated in the stories of Norse Mythology. What peoples, creatures, or groups are discriminated against? Why? What morals or lessons arise from these stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Balder in the stories from Norse Mythology. Why is Balder so beloved? What threatens Balder? How does Balder's death impact the world of the gods?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)