|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first emotion Marianne feels when she hears about Miss Neary's unwanted sexual contact toward Connell?
2. The house Marianne shares with Jamie and one other person for the summer is located outside of what town?
3. For what sole purpose has Connell entered the church in the past?
4. During the month of July in 2012, how often does Marianne return home to Carricklea?
5. What adjective has Lorraine always used to describe Alan's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the issues of privilege and class differences depicted within Peggy's experiences?
2. What is Connell doing in July of 2013?
3. How do Connell and Marianne come to meet up in Europe during the summer of 2013?
4. When Connell finds that he will not be able to pay rent over the summer in his Dublin flat, what is his back-up plan?
5. What gift does Connell bring back for Mariane from his trip in the summer of 2013 and why?
6. What are Connell's impressions of Alan and from whence do these impressions emerge?
7. How does Connell react to the split between him and Marianne and how does Marianne handle it?
8. What does it mean to Marianne when she wins the full scholarship to graduate school, according to Connell?
9. What does Connell find troubling about the financial arrangements among Marianne, Lorraine, and himself?
10. What simile does Rooney use to describe Connell's feelings about writing and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the characterization arc of Connell’s character throughout the novel Normal People. Discuss whether Connell is a round or flat character and whether Connell is a static or dynamic character.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interplay between the resolution of Normal People and one of the novel's main messages. How does Rooney make connections between these elements and how does their juxtaposition help them get across one main message of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rooney’s use of metaphor, simile, imagery, and other literary devices as a means to send particular thematic messages within the narrative of Normal People.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)