|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location does Marianne sleep the night of her fight with Jamie?
2. Once Connell has been with Helen for a while, he decides that Marianne is different from him in what major way?
3. Connell has begun watching Peggy's behavior because he has begun to suspect what?
4. In April of 2012, Connell is most nervous about which final assignment?
5. For what sole purpose has Connell entered the church in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Connell bring back for Mariane from his trip in the summer of 2013 and why?
2. What is Connell doing in July of 2013?
3. What plans does Marianne make for her third year of college?
4. How do Connell and Marianne come to meet up in Europe during the summer of 2013?
5. What are Connell's impressions of Alan and from whence do these impressions emerge?
6. How are the issues of privilege and class differences depicted within Peggy's experiences?
7. What simile does Rooney use to describe Connell's feelings about writing and why?
8. By April of 2012, Connell and Marianne have fallen into a certain routine. What is it?
9. How does Connell react to the split between him and Marianne and how does Marianne handle it?
10. Describe Helen's impressions of Marianne.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Rooney’s focus on the theme of control in Normal People. What message is Rooney sending about the desire to control and to be controlled?
Essay Topic 2
Trace the characterization arc of Connell’s character throughout the novel Normal People. Discuss whether Connell is a round or flat character and whether Connell is a static or dynamic character.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the novel Normal People from an Existential perspective. What elements of life does it suggest hold the most meaning and why?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)