|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percent of Americans fall below the poverty line?
(a) 5.4 percent.
(b) 8.6 percent.
(c) 11.3 percent.
(d) 13.7 percent.
2. Who came up with four suicide types that are no longer used today?
(a) Antonio Longoria.
(b) Michael Owens.
(c) Emile Durkheim.
(d) Arnold Schwartz.
3. What was depression referred to as before the term "depression" came about?
(a) Low spirits.
(c) Disease of sadness.
4. What topic has Richard J. Davidson been working with?
(a) Gene reproduction.
(b) Brain symmetry.
(c) Relationships between children and parents.
(d) Capacity for depression.
5. How much money do state and federal governments spend for poor adults and their children each year?
(a) $20 billion.
(b) $300 million.
(c) $900 million.
(d) $4 billion.
6. How much money does Solomon think the government could save per year by treating depressed people who are not working?
(a) $125 million.
(b) $3.5 billion.
(c) $5.5 million.
(d) $15 billion.
7. What university is Thomas Crowe from?
8. When was depression first identified?
(a) Middle ages.
(b) Puritan times.
(c) The beginning of time.
(d) Ancient times.
9. How was depression seen in the thirteenth century?
(a) As normal.
(b) As a sin.
(c) As a deathly, untreatable disease.
(d) As something intelligent people suffered from.
10. How many children is Lolly responsible for?
11. Ancient Greeks believed depression was caused by bile of what color?
12. Who does Hippocrates help with advice and action?
(a) King Perdiccas II.
(b) Philip II.
(d) Amyntas III.
13. How does depression affect reproduction?
(a) It decreases it.
(b) There is no correlation.
(c) It does nothing to it.
(d) It increases it.
14. The suicide rate in the U.S. went up by what percent after the death of a famous person?
(a) Fifteen percent.
(b) Nine percent.
(c) Twelve percent.
(d) Three percent.
15. In Richard J. Davidson's work, how often does he take photos of the brain?
(a) Every two and a half seconds.
(b) Every three minutes.
(c) Every half second.
(d) Every eighty seconds.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a study using video games, depressives could accurately give what information?
2. What is Angel covered from head to toe in?
3. What is the name of the man who pushed a woman in front of the subway in New York?
4. How far into writing this book is Solomon when he realizes the purpose for writing it?
5. What is the strongest factor in predicting suicide?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)