|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Solomon believe is the best indicator of recovery?
(a) Going weeks without crying.
(b) Being able to talk seriously about their problems.
(c) Stability in relationships.
(d) Sense of humor.
2. What percent of people in the U.S. suffering from serious mental illness are unemployed?
(a) 90 to 100 percent.
(b) 85 to 95 percent.
(c) 70 to 80 percent.
(d) 75 to 85 percent.
3. What is the name of the man who pushed a woman in front of the subway in New York?
(a) Joe Rogers.
(b) John Hinckley.
(c) Andrew Goldstein.
(d) Russel Weston.
4. What percent of deaths in 1998 are attributed to suicides?
(a) Nineteen percent.
(b) .3 percent.
(c) Eight percent.
(d) Two percent.
5. What percent of Americans fall below the poverty line?
(a) 13.7 percent.
(b) 11.3 percent.
(c) 8.6 percent.
(d) 5.4 percent.
6. Who came up with four suicide types that are no longer used today?
(a) Michael Owens.
(b) Antonio Longoria.
(c) Emile Durkheim.
(d) Arnold Schwartz.
7. The suicide rate in the U.S. went up by what percent after the death of a famous person?
(a) Three percent.
(b) Twelve percent.
(c) Nine percent.
(d) Fifteen percent.
8. What field does Lolly find a job in?
(c) Administrative services.
9. How much money do state and federal governments spend for poor adults and their children each year?
(a) $20 billion.
(b) $4 billion.
(c) $300 million.
(d) $900 million.
10. How often does someone in the U.S. commit suicide?
(a) Every 17 minutes.
(b) Every three hours.
(c) Every five hours.
(d) Every 55 seconds.
11. Who says, "Depressed people don't nag enough."?
(a) Tipper Gore.
(b) William Styron.
(c) Mike Wallace.
(d) Lynn Rivers.
12. How far into writing this book is Solomon when he realizes the purpose for writing it?
13. Who is the grandfather of psychodynamic therapy?
14. Who does Hippocrates help with advice and action?
(a) Philip II.
(b) Amyntas III.
(c) King Perdiccas II.
15. Who formed the idea that the brain controls the central nervous system?
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Angel develop?
2. What does Solomon believe humans face that contributes to depression?
3. The suicide rate when up in the U.S. after the suicide of who?
4. The sons of mothers with untreated depression are more like likely to become what?
5. Angel is the youngest in a family of how many?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)