|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was depression first identified?
(a) Puritan times.
(b) Middle ages.
(c) The beginning of time.
(d) Ancient times.
2. What is the strongest factor in predicting suicide?
(a) Talking about it.
(b) Family history.
(d) Previous attempts.
3. The evolution of the condition of depression can be divided into how many stages?
4. What senator was the first to introduce mental health legislation?
(a) Paul Wellstone.
(b) Bill Clay.
(c) Tipper Gore.
(d) Pete Domenici.
5. What does Thomas Crowe believe about the primate brain that makes it different from the human brain?
(a) It is very small.
(b) It is asymmetrical.
(c) It is very smooth.
(d) It is made of white matter.
6. What university is Thomas Crowe from?
7. What percent of Americans fall below the poverty line?
(a) 13.7 percent.
(b) 8.6 percent.
(c) 5.4 percent.
(d) 11.3 percent.
8. How old was Lolly when she began to be abused?
(a) Three months.
9. What does Solomon believe is the best indicator of recovery?
(a) Stability in relationships.
(b) Going weeks without crying.
(c) Being able to talk seriously about their problems.
(d) Sense of humor.
10. Who formed the idea that the brain controls the central nervous system?
11. What mental illness does Paul Wellstone's brother suffer from?
(d) Bipolar disorder.
12. What question has been largely ignored in the medical field regarding depression?
13. The suicide rate in the U.S. went up by what percent after the death of a famous person?
(a) Fifteen percent.
(b) Three percent.
(c) Nine percent.
(d) Twelve percent.
14. How many of the impoverished, depressed men that Solomon interviewed were HIV positive?
(d) A quarter.
15. What topic has Richard J. Davidson been working with?
(a) Gene reproduction.
(b) Brain symmetry.
(c) Relationships between children and parents.
(d) Capacity for depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Solomon meets Angel, how many medications is she taking daily?
2. Who came up with four suicide types that are no longer used today?
3. How many major factors influence ideas surrounding depression?
4. What is Angel's last name?
5. Angel is the youngest in a family of how many?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)