|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 7?
2. What is Hatton's last name?
3. What does Hatton say "is the only way for some people to be happy" in Chapter 12?
4. How long has it been since Travis has heard from Cate in Chapter 20?
5. What month is it in the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolic or metaphorical significance of Travis's experience at the movie theater in Chapter 13?
2. What themes are developed in the subplot relating to Kyle's secret in the narrative?
3. What thoughts and actions does Travis describe in the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How are the themes of the past, the present, and friendship developed in Chapters 14-18?
5. What is Travis's objective in Chapter 16? How does he go about achieving that objective?
6. What are some examples of foreshadowing seen in Chapters 5-9?
7. How does Travis respond when he encounters Cate in Chapter 17?
8. What does Travis remark about his friendship with Hatton in Chapter 20? What leads to this?
9. How are the scientific elements of Travis's transplant described in the narrative?
10. What happens when Travis and Hatton arrive at the karaoke bar in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the chapter titles throughout Noggin. What relationship do the chapter titles have to the actions or dialogue in the story? Why do you think the author has chosen to title each chapter in this manner? Are there exceptions?
Essay Topic 2
How is the novel's title illuminated in the narrative? When does "Noggin" appear in the text? From what character? Why do you think the author chose this title for the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Travis's experiences during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays in the novel. With whom does Travis spend the holidays? How does he feel about these characters? How does he feel about the experiences he has during the holidays?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)