|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character sits with his/her hands over his ears?
2. Why is Inez upset by her vision in Part 4?
3. What does Garcin says both Inez and Estelle do to him?
4. Who says that she often undressed in front of his/her maid?
5. Which character notices that Estelle has a nasty red pimple on her cheek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
2. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
3. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
4. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
5. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
6. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
7. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
8. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
9. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
10. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chose either Garcin, Estelle, or Inez and write a detailed character sketch, that includes not only information about their actions and feelings, but also about their use by the author to demonstrate ideas about guilt, denial, cowardice and cruelty. Use specific examples that demonstrate your ideas about their characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)