|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Estelle would rather escape from the room than what?
2. Which character wants to put on lipstick and powder?
3. Whom is Estelle watching down on Earth?
4. Which character was "fair, a natural blond"?
5. Inez says that she won't do any harm if she is left alone with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
2. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
3. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
4. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
5. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
6. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
7. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
8. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
9. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
10. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pen knife is an important symbol because it helps the climax erupt and the play's falling action begin. Discuss the pen knife, its purpose as both a thematic symbol for these characters as well as a literal weapon. What purpose does it serve for Estelle to stab Inez, when she has been torturing her emotionally the whole play, for example. Discuss Garcin's wish that he could substitute physical torture for this mental anguish in terms of this violence.
In addition, decide whether or not you think these three have been punished enough, or if they deserve to be stuck with each other for eternity.
Essay Topic 2
Estelle is characterized as the most selfish of the three characters. Explain the details Sartre uses to show these aspects of her character, including her physical description, her behavior in the room as well as her actions before.
A) Consider her life before: her marriage, affair and pregnancy. What do these details demonstrate about her as a person?
B) Consider her behavior in the room. How does she act, and how do you think that her treatment of Garcin and Inez contributes to the overall conflict of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)