|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that s/he is "rotten to the core"?
2. What does Garcin says both Inez and Estelle do to him?
3. Why does Inez offer Estelle a place on her couch?
4. Who mocks Estelle by calling her "my crystal"?
5. How did Garcin face death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
2. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
3. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
4. Why do you think that Inez would rather deal with hell face to face?
5. What is Inez guilty of?
6. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
7. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
8. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
9. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
10. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because these characters are dead, issues of death and dying strongly affect the way they behave. Describe how each character died, using as many specifics as you can remember from the play. After you describe how each character died, chose one of the following below and write one paragraph:
A) In your opinion, which death was the "worst" or most unfortunate, and why?
B) Describe which death you feel was most appropriate, that is: which character deserved to die the way they did, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How one character punishes another is of primary importance in this play. The reasons why these three are each other's perfect torturers are revealed in the action of the play and in the things the characters say to each other. Chose one of the following and write an essay:
A) How Inez is the best torturer for Garcin.
B) How Garcin is the best torturer for Estelle.
C) How Estelle is the best torturer for Inez.
Be sure to explain the specific ways in which the character tortured his/her fellow character, and why their particular ways of inflicting pain were sure to be the most painful. In addition, briefly state which one would be the best torturer for you and why.
Essay Topic 3
The pen knife is an important symbol because it helps the climax erupt and the play's falling action begin. Discuss the pen knife, its purpose as both a thematic symbol for these characters as well as a literal weapon. What purpose does it serve for Estelle to stab Inez, when she has been torturing her emotionally the whole play, for example. Discuss Garcin's wish that he could substitute physical torture for this mental anguish in terms of this violence.
In addition, decide whether or not you think these three have been punished enough, or if they deserve to be stuck with each other for eternity.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)