|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Estelle says she has a hard time making friends with?
2. Which character sits with his/her hands over his ears?
3. What did Estelle do to her baby?
4. Garcin wishes he had been placed in a room full of what?
5. How does Garcin describes Estelle's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
2. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
3. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
4. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
5. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
6. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
7. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
8. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
9. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
10. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How one character punishes another is of primary importance in this play. The reasons why these three are each other's perfect torturers are revealed in the action of the play and in the things the characters say to each other. Chose one of the following and write an essay:
A) How Inez is the best torturer for Garcin.
B) How Garcin is the best torturer for Estelle.
C) How Estelle is the best torturer for Inez.
Be sure to explain the specific ways in which the character tortured his/her fellow character, and why their particular ways of inflicting pain were sure to be the most painful. In addition, briefly state which one would be the best torturer for you and why.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the primary themes of this play, including sexual jealousy, violent cruelty and emotional abuse, and the actions described in this play. What elements of this play do you find controversial? What would you say if a friend asked you about reading this play? What was your favorite part and least favorite part? Which parts were most and least believable? Be specific and offer detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Estelle is characterized as the most selfish of the three characters. Explain the details Sartre uses to show these aspects of her character, including her physical description, her behavior in the room as well as her actions before.
A) Consider her life before: her marriage, affair and pregnancy. What do these details demonstrate about her as a person?
B) Consider her behavior in the room. How does she act, and how do you think that her treatment of Garcin and Inez contributes to the overall conflict of the play?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)