|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Estelle do to her baby?
2. What does Estelle want from Garcin?
3. Who wanted Estelle to have a baby?
4. Garcin was a...
5. What was Estelle's lover's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Inez guilty of?
2. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
3. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
4. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
5. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
6. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
7. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
8. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
9. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
10. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sartre uses symbols to communicate deeper levels of meaning in this play. In an essay, describe the first instances of this symbol, i.e. what it meant and how it was represented at the beginning of the play. Then examine how the symbol evolved, or how the characters' and audiences understanding of the symbol changes over the course of the play. Chose one of the following symbols:
A) The bronze statue.
B) The human eye.
Essay Topic 2
How one character punishes another is of primary importance in this play. The reasons why these three are each other's perfect torturers are revealed in the action of the play and in the things the characters say to each other. Chose one of the following and write an essay:
A) How Inez is the best torturer for Garcin.
B) How Garcin is the best torturer for Estelle.
C) How Estelle is the best torturer for Inez.
Be sure to explain the specific ways in which the character tortured his/her fellow character, and why their particular ways of inflicting pain were sure to be the most painful. In addition, briefly state which one would be the best torturer for you and why.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the primary themes of this play, including sexual jealousy, violent cruelty and emotional abuse, and the actions described in this play. What elements of this play do you find controversial? What would you say if a friend asked you about reading this play? What was your favorite part and least favorite part? Which parts were most and least believable? Be specific and offer detailed examples from the text.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)