|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that she often undressed in front of his/her maid?
2. Florence crept out of bed and...
3. How many mirrors does Estelle have in her bedroom?
4. Who calls Garcin a brute?
5. If he could be back with them for one day, where would Garcin fling their lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
2. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
3. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
4. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
5. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
6. What is Inez guilty of?
7. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
8. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
9. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
10. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of implicit meaning in this play, and the characters misrepresent their pasts to varying degrees. While Inez is relatively upfront about her crimes, Garcin holds back and Estelle is in severe denial about her past. Pick two of the explicit actions of the play below and discuss the implicit significance of each.
A) Garcin kissing Estelle.
B) Inez lying about the pimple.
C) Estelle crying without tears.
Essay Topic 2
Estelle is characterized as the most selfish of the three characters. Explain the details Sartre uses to show these aspects of her character, including her physical description, her behavior in the room as well as her actions before.
A) Consider her life before: her marriage, affair and pregnancy. What do these details demonstrate about her as a person?
B) Consider her behavior in the room. How does she act, and how do you think that her treatment of Garcin and Inez contributes to the overall conflict of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)