Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wanted Estelle to have a baby?
2. Where did Estelle go with Roger?
3. Whom did Inez fall in love with on Earth?
4. What is Inez referring to in the following passage: "Far better. Crueler. [It] looks quite diabolical that way."
5. What does Inez tell Estelle she wants?
In some ways, this play is characterized by a "battle of the sexes" that is also complicated by a love triangle. Closely read Estelle's assertion that "Well, in that case our tastes differ. That's all it proves. [Turning to INEZ] What about you? Do you like men in their shirt-sleeves?"
Answer the following questions:
1. How does this statement characterize Estelle? What does it communicate about her?
2. What does it reveal about Inez?
3. How does it contribute to the rising dramatic tension in the play? How does it affect the intensifying interactions between the three main characters?
Because these characters are dead, issues of death and dying strongly affect the way they behave. Describe how each character died, then chose one of the following below and write one paragraph:
A) In your opinion, which death was the most unfortunate, and why?
B) Describe the tortures suffered by the characters. Who most deserves the "torture" they receive?
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off-screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)