|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Inez says that she won't do any harm if she is left alone with whom?
2. Whom did Inez fall in love with on Earth?
3. Whom is Estelle watching down on Earth?
4. Who wants to take Estelle in his/her arms?
5. Which character sits with his/her hands over his ears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
2. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
3. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
4. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
5. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
6. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
7. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
8. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
9. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
10. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was a fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Punishment and suffering are two major themes in this play, especially in terms of characterizing the three main characters. Chose one of the options below:
A) The characters deserved their punishment as it fit their crimes.
B) The characters did not deserve to suffer the way they did. Their actions in the room should make up for their crimes.
Please chose just one character to write about (Garcin, Inez or Florence) and write an essay that makes an argument for either A) or B) above.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of implicit meaning in this play, and the characters misrepresent their pasts to varying degrees. While Inez is relatively upfront about her crimes, Garcin holds back and Estelle is in severe denial about her past. Pick two of the explicit actions of the play below and discuss the implicit significance of each.
A) Garcin kissing Estelle.
B) Inez lying about the pimple.
C) Estelle crying without tears.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)