|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Inez upset by her vision in Part 4?
2. Who served Garcin and his mistress coffee in bed?
3. When Garcin is paying attention to what is happening at the newspaper office, what is he hearing?
4. When Garcin says, "I've left my fate in their hands," who is he talking about?
5. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
2. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
3. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
4. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
5. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
6. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
7. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
8. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
9. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
10. Why do you think that Inez would rather deal with hell face to face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pen knife is an important symbol because it helps the climax erupt and the play's falling action begin. Discuss the pen knife, its purpose as both a thematic symbol for these characters as well as a literal weapon. What purpose does it serve for Estelle to stab Inez, when she has been torturing her emotionally the whole play, for example. Discuss Garcin's wish that he could substitute physical torture for this mental anguish in terms of this violence.
In addition, decide whether or not you think these three have been punished enough, or if they deserve to be stuck with each other for eternity.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the off screen aspects of this play are visions the characters have of their former lives and survivors back on earth. Each of the three sees visions of how life is carrying on without them.
B) Estelle or
and describe what they see when they look back to earth. Be sure to explain what they literally see and what they tell the others in the room about it. Also describe what their vision represents, either symbolically or in terms of the guilt and denial the characters are experiencing.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)