|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garcin finally suggest they all should do?
2. Whom does Garcin call a swine?
3. Who is judging Garcin?
4. What does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as?
5. Where do Olga and Peter go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
2. Why do you think that Inez would rather deal with hell face to face?
3. What is Inez guilty of?
4. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
5. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
6. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
7. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
8. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
9. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
10. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chose either Garcin, Estelle, or Inez and write a detailed character sketch, that includes not only information about their actions and feelings, but also about their use by the author to demonstrate ideas about guilt, denial, cowardice and cruelty. Use specific examples that demonstrate your ideas about their characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
Estelle is characterized as the most selfish of the three characters. Explain the details Sartre uses to show these aspects of her character, including her physical description, her behavior in the room as well as her actions before.
A) Consider her life before: her marriage, affair and pregnancy. What do these details demonstrate about her as a person?
B) Consider her behavior in the room. How does she act, and how do you think that her treatment of Garcin and Inez contributes to the overall conflict of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)