|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Estelle watching down on Earth?
2. Who served Garcin and his mistress coffee in bed?
3. Which character killed herself by gas poisoning?
4. What does Garcin finally suggest they all should do?
5. Who says that she often undressed in front of his/her maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
2. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
3. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
4. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
5. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
6. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
7. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
8. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
9. Why do you think that Inez would rather deal with hell face to face?
10. What is Inez guilty of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
Essay Topic 2
Chose either Garcin, Estelle, or Inez and write a detailed character sketch, that includes not only information about their actions and feelings, but also about their use by the author to demonstrate ideas about guilt, denial, cowardice and cruelty. Use specific examples that demonstrate your ideas about their characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)