|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Estelle see herself properly in Inez's eyes?
2. Which character killed herself by gas poisoning?
3. When Garcin is paying attention to what is happening at the newspaper office, what is he hearing?
4. How does Garcin describes Estelle's eyes?
5. How did Garcin's wife die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
2. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
3. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
4. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
5. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
6. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
7. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
8. What is Inez guilty of?
9. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inez proclaims herself cruel, saying "I'm your lark-mirror, my dear, and you can't escape me....There isn't any pimple, not a trace of one. So what about it? Suppose the mirror started telling lies? Or suppose I covered my eyes--as he is doing--and refused to look at you."
1. Contextualize this passage in terms of the section of the scene it comes from: What is happening when Inez says it?
2. Analyze what role the mirror symbol plays in this section. Why use this symbol right now?
3. What does it demonstrate about Garcin's relationship to Estelle?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the primary themes of this play, including sexual jealousy, violent cruelty and emotional abuse, and the actions described in this play. What elements of this play do you find controversial? What would you say if a friend asked you about reading this play? What was your favorite part and least favorite part? Which parts were most and least believable? Be specific and offer detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Chose either Garcin, Estelle, or Inez and write a detailed character sketch, that includes not only information about their actions and feelings, but also about their use by the author to demonstrate ideas about guilt, denial, cowardice and cruelty. Use specific examples that demonstrate your ideas about their characterizations.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)