|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who served Garcin and his mistress coffee in bed?
2. Which character sits with his/her hands over his ears?
3. Which character wants to put on lipstick and powder?
4. What does Estelle want from Garcin?
5. Where did Estelle go with Roger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
2. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
3. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
4. Why do you think that Inez would rather deal with hell face to face?
5. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
6. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
7. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
8. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
9. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
10. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
Essay Topic 2
Chose either Garcin, Estelle, or Inez and write a detailed character sketch, that includes not only information about their actions and feelings, but also about their use by the author to demonstrate ideas about guilt, denial, cowardice and cruelty. Use specific examples that demonstrate your ideas about their characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)