|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits to being "rather cruel"?
2. Which character sits with his/her hands over his ears?
3. Who wanted Estelle to have a baby?
4. Whom is Estelle watching down on Earth?
5. How did Garcin's wife die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
2. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
3. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
4. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
5. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
6. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
7. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
8. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
9. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
10. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene where Inez offers to be Estelle's mirror is very revealing of the central tension between the two women and shows the audience more about their inner selves. It links symbolically the human eye and mirrors. Chose one of the following:
A) Discuss how this scene fits into a larger pattern of symbols, or a motif of mirrors, glass, eyes, seeing, etc.
B) Explain what this scene reveals about Inez and Estelle, and helps show the audience how they really are.
Essay Topic 2
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
Essay Topic 3
Estelle is characterized as the most selfish of the three characters. Explain the details Sartre uses to show these aspects of her character, including her physical description, her behavior in the room as well as her actions before.
A) Consider her life before: her marriage, affair and pregnancy. What do these details demonstrate about her as a person?
B) Consider her behavior in the room. How does she act, and how do you think that her treatment of Garcin and Inez contributes to the overall conflict of the play?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)