|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spits in Inez's face?
2. Who wants to take Estelle in his/her arms?
3. Whom is Estelle watching down on Earth?
4. When Garcin sees Gomez, how much time has passed?
5. Why did Garcin want to face death courageously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
2. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
3. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
4. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
5. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
6. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
7. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
8. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
9. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
10. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of implicit meaning in this play, and the characters misrepresent their pasts to varying degrees. While Inez is relatively upfront about her crimes, Garcin holds back and Estelle is in severe denial about her past. Pick two of the explicit actions of the play below and discuss the implicit significance of each.
A) Garcin kissing Estelle.
B) Inez lying about the pimple.
C) Estelle crying without tears.
Essay Topic 2
As the dramatic tension increases, the characters reveal more about themselves and their pasts, and lay themselves bare to their fellow torturers. Their former lives are also like mirrors that suddenly show them the truths of their existence. Pick one of the passages below and explicate it in terms of this image of inner truth:
A) "There they are, slumped in their chairs, sucking at their cigars. Bored they look. Half-asleep. They're thinking: 'Garcin's a coward." [Garcin]
B) "The music is growing fainter. They've turned down the lights, as they do for a tango. Why are they playing so softly? Louder, please. I can't hear. It's so far away, so far away." [Estelle]
C) "The windows are wide open, a man is sitting on the bed. My bed, if you please!" [Inez]
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)