|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Garcin feels toward Inez in Part 4?
2. What was Estelle's lover's name?
3. Estelle would rather escape from the room than what?
4. How did Estelle's lover die?
5. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
2. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
3. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
4. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
5. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
6. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
7. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
8. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
9. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
10. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sartre uses symbols to communicate deeper levels of meaning in this play. In an essay, describe the first instances of this symbol, i.e. what it meant and how it was represented at the beginning of the play. Then examine how the symbol evolved, or how the characters' and audiences understanding of the symbol changes over the course of the play. Chose one of the following symbols:
A) The bronze statue.
B) The human eye.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of implicit meaning in this play, and the characters misrepresent their pasts to varying degrees. While Inez is relatively upfront about her crimes, Garcin holds back and Estelle is in severe denial about her past. Pick two of the explicit actions of the play below and discuss the implicit significance of each.
A) Garcin kissing Estelle.
B) Inez lying about the pimple.
C) Estelle crying without tears.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)