|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character(s) actually killed another person?
2. What is Garcin trying to hear?
3. Who served Garcin and his mistress coffee in bed?
4. Where did Estelle go with Roger?
5. What does Inez promise Estelle she will do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the tendency humans have to try and fool themselves. Use Estelle's like about it being nicer to think that they were brought there by mistake as a starting point. Also use Estelle and Garcin as examples of people who attempt to avoid facing their reality. Take the topic into everyday life and illustrate how people might try to fool themselves on a daily basis.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled A Person Wrapped Up in Himself/Herself. Discuss in your essay how a person like Estelle who only thinks of her own comfort and pleasure creates discontent in the people he or she comes in contact with.
Essay Topic 3
In some ways, this play is characterized by a "battle of the sexes" that is also complicated by a love triangle. Closely read Estelle's assertion that "Well, in that case our tastes differ. That's all it proves. [Turning to INEZ] What about you? Do you like men in their shirt-sleeves?"
Answer the following questions:
1. How does this statement characterize Estelle? What does it communicate about her?
2. What does it reveal about Inez?
3. How does it contribute to the rising dramatic tension in the play? How does it affect the intensifying interactions between the three main characters?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)