|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had happened to Estelle's young lover?
2. Why is Estelle upset by what Olga is saying to Peter?
3. How does Inez watch Garcin while he talks to her?
4. What does Inez call Estelle to try and win her over?
5. Who calls Garcin a brute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the idea that people always die too soon or too late. Explain what each condition means and give examples of the points you are making.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the three characters in NO EXIT and why they are perfectly suited to be each other's torturers. Include in the essay Garcin's idea that hell is other people.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)