|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Inez recognizes what a torturer looks like from...
2. Which character enters the room first?
3. Which character is the most reluctant to sit there silently?
4. What was Estelle's brother like?
5. What is Estelle's friend's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
2. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
3. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
4. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
5. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
6. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
7. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
8. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
9. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
10. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the primary themes of this play, including sexual jealousy, violent cruelty and emotional abuse, and the actions described in this play. What elements of this play do you find controversial? What would you say if a friend asked you about reading this play? What was your favorite part and least favorite part? Which parts were most and least believable? Be specific and offer detailed examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of implicit meaning in this play, and the characters misrepresent their pasts to varying degrees. While Inez is relatively upfront about her crimes, Garcin holds back and Estelle is in severe denial about her past. Pick two of the explicit actions of the play below and discuss the implicit significance of each.
A) Garcin kissing Estelle.
B) Inez lying about the pimple.
C) Estelle crying without tears.
Essay Topic 3
Punishment and suffering are two major themes in this play, especially in terms of characterizing the three main characters. Chose one of the options below:
A) The characters deserved their punishment as it fit their crimes.
B) The characters did not deserve to suffer the way they did. Their actions in the room should make up for their crimes.
Please chose just one character to write about (Garcin, Inez or Florence) and write an essay that makes an argument for either A) or B) above.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)