|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Garcin shot?
2. What did Estelle die of?
3. What does Inez realize first?
4. Whom does Garcin see in his vision?
5. What does Inez say a torturer looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
2. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
3. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
4. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
5. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
6. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
7. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
8. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
9. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
10. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was a fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How one character punishes another is of primary importance in this play. The reasons why these three are each other's perfect torturers are revealed in the action of the play and in the things the characters say to each other. Chose one of the following and write an essay:
A) How Inez is the best torturer for Garcin.
B) How Garcin is the best torturer for Estelle.
C) How Estelle is the best torturer for Inez.
Be sure to explain the specific ways in which the character tortured his/her fellow character, and why their particular ways of inflicting pain were sure to be the most painful. In addition, briefly state which one would be the best torturer for you and why.
Essay Topic 3
In some ways, this play is characterized by a "battle of the sexes" that is also complicated by a love triangle. Closely read Estelle's assertion that "Well, in that case our tastes differ. That's all it proves. [Turning to INEZ] What about you? Do you like men in their shirt-sleeves?"
Answer the following questions:
1. How does this statement characterize Estelle? What does it communicate about her?
2. What does it reveal about Inez?
3. How does it contribute to the rising dramatic tension in the play? How does it affect the intensifying interactions between the three main characters?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)