|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself at the beginning of the play.
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Is one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
5. What is Garcin's question about calling the valet?
6. What condition does Inez put down for not torturing Garcin?
7. Gaining the upper hand, how does Inez treat Garcin?
8. What is Estelle's suggestion for getting back at Inez?
9. After Estelle sees Olga at the dance, she asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. What is Inez guilty of?
Essay Topic 1
One of the off-screen aspects of this play are visions the characters have of their former lives and survivors back on earth. Each of the three sees visions of how life is carrying on without them.
B) Estelle or
and describe what they see when they look back to earth. Be sure to explain what they literally see and what they tell the others in the room about it. Also describe what their vision represents, either symbolically or in terms of the guilt and denial the characters are experiencing.
Essay Topic 2
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off-screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled the Best Person I Know. Select a person who has had a major impact on your life and what influence that person has had on the decisions you have made.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)