Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself at the beginning of the play.
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Is one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
5. What is Garcin's question about calling the valet?
6. What condition does Inez put down for not torturing Garcin?
7. Gaining the upper hand, how does Inez treat Garcin?
8. What is Estelle's suggestion for getting back at Inez?
9. After Estelle sees Olga at the dance, she asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. What is Inez guilty of?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled A Person Wrapped Up in Himself/Herself. Discuss in your essay how a person like Estelle who only thinks of her own comfort and pleasure creates discontent in the people he or she comes in contact with.
Essay Topic 2
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Write a two-page character analysis of Inez. Explain why she is the strongest character of the three. Include how she is the only one without any illusions about who she really is.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)