Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself at the beginning of the play.
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Is one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
5. What is Garcin's question about calling the valet?
6. What condition does Inez put down for not torturing Garcin?
7. Gaining the upper hand, how does Inez treat Garcin?
8. What is Estelle's suggestion for getting back at Inez?
9. After Estelle sees Olga at the dance, she asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. What is Inez guilty of?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Sartre's existentialism. Discuss in your essay how this philosophy is almost exclusively limited to intellectuals. Include any concepts you may not agree with and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Write a two-page character analysis of Estelle. Include all the things that show her to be self-centered and cold-hearted.
Essay Topic 3
Because these characters are dead, issues of death and dying strongly affect the way they behave. Describe how each character died, then chose one of the following below and write one paragraph:
A) In your opinion, which death was the most unfortunate, and why?
B) Describe the tortures suffered by the characters. Who most deserves the "torture" they receive?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)