Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself at the beginning of the play.
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Is one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
5. What is Garcin's question about calling the valet?
6. What condition does Inez put down for not torturing Garcin?
7. Gaining the upper hand, how does Inez treat Garcin?
8. What is Estelle's suggestion for getting back at Inez?
9. After Estelle sees Olga at the dance, she asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. What is Inez guilty of?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the idea that people always die too soon or too late. Explain what each condition means and give examples of the points you are making.
Essay Topic 2
Write a two-page character analysis of Inez. Explain why she is the strongest character of the three. Include how she is the only one without any illusions about who she really is.
Essay Topic 3
Write a two-page character analysis of Garcin. Discuss his weakness and how he comes across as less than a real man.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)