Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. What makes Garcin think there is no need for sleep in this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself at the beginning of the play.
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Is one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
5. What is Garcin's question about calling the valet?
6. What condition does Inez put down for not torturing Garcin?
7. Gaining the upper hand, how does Inez treat Garcin?
8. What is Estelle's suggestion for getting back at Inez?
9. After Estelle sees Olga at the dance, she asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. What is Inez guilty of?
Write an essay on your preference for either reading a drama or watching it performed. List advantages of each, like being able to go back and re-read or hearing tonal inflections that help understand the meaning of words.
Write an essay entitled The Discomfort of Being in a Hot Climate. The essay will focus on being somewhere that is very hot and there is nothing one can do to cool things off. Discuss how such an unpleasant circumstance affects the mind as well as the body.
Write an essay entitled Stuck in an Elevator. You and two other people, perfect strangers, are stuck in an elevator. Describe the characters of each person including yourself and discuss whether the situation is positive or negative. Include the closeness of the air and not knowing when or if you will ever get out.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)