|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Estelle expect to meet in the room?
2. What do each of their stories reveal about the three characters?
3. After the valet leaves, what is Garcin unable to do?
4. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
5. What horrible realization comes to the characters as to what they now have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle not go to Inez for comfort?
2. Why does Inez's taunt that Garcin is obeying Estelle like a dog would a master force Garcin to stop kissing her?
3. Why does Garcin offer a suggestion to the two women?
4. Why does Inez try to pull Garcin off Estelle?
5. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
6. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
7. What is Garcin's question about calling the valet?
8. Why would Inez rather deal with hell face-to-face?
9. How does Inez respond to Garcin's suggestion to ignore each other?
10. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the order in which Sartre introduces the characters into the room. Write an essay that considers the following:
1. Why does Garcin come first? What are the advantages to the story and to the tension that will develop to having him introduce the play and anchor the action?
2. If you were Sartre, would you have put Inez on stage next? Is it significant that she and Garcin are in the room alone for a few minutes before Estelle joins them?
3. Discuss Estelle's introduction to the room (the color of the sofa, etc.) and describe how it heightens the growing tension in the room.
4. How does the order of the characters foreshadow the very end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your preference for either reading a drama or watching it performed. List advantages of each, like being able to go back and re-read or hearing tonal inflections that help understand the meaning of words.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled the Best Person I Know. Select a person who has had a major impact on your life and what influence that person has had on the decisions you have made.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)