|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
2. Who sees Olga in a vision?
3. Who is smoking cigars in one of the visions?
4. Who tries to take off his/her jacket?
5. How many mirrors are there in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
2. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
3. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
4. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
5. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
6. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
7. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
8. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
9. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
10. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scene where Inez offers to be Estelle's mirror is very revealing of the central tension between the two women and shows the audience more about their inner selves. It links symbolically the human eye and mirrors. Chose one of the following:
A) Discuss how this scene fits into a larger pattern of symbols, or a motif of mirrors, glass, eyes, seeing, etc.
B) Explain what this scene reveals about Inez and Estelle, and helps show the audience how they really are.
Essay Topic 2
One of the off screen aspects of this play are visions the characters have of their former lives and survivors back on earth. Each of the three sees visions of how life is carrying on without them.
B) Estelle or
and describe what they see when they look back to earth. Be sure to explain what they literally see and what they tell the others in the room about it. Also describe what their vision represents, either symbolically or in terms of the guilt and denial the characters are experiencing.
Essay Topic 3
The pen knife is an important symbol because it helps the climax erupt and the play's falling action begin. Discuss the pen knife, its purpose as both a thematic symbol for these characters as well as a literal weapon. What purpose does it serve for Estelle to stab Inez, when she has been torturing her emotionally the whole play, for example. Discuss Garcin's wish that he could substitute physical torture for this mental anguish in terms of this violence.
In addition, decide whether or not you think these three have been punished enough, or if they deserve to be stuck with each other for eternity.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)