|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
2. How many years was Estelle happily married?
3. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
4. What is Estelle's friend's name?
5. What did Inez do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
3. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
4. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
5. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
6. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
7. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
8. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
9. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
10. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In some ways, this play is characterized by a "battle of the sexes" that is also complicated by a love triangle. Closely read Estelle's assertion that "Well, in that case our tastes differ. That's all it proves. [Turning to INEZ] What about you? Do you like men in their shirt-sleeves?"
Answer the following questions:
1. How does this statement characterize Estelle? What does it communicate about her?
2. What does it reveal about Inez?
3. How does it contribute to the rising dramatic tension in the play? How does it affect the intensifying interactions between the three main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the primary themes of this play, including sexual jealousy, violent cruelty and emotional abuse, and the actions described in this play. What elements of this play do you find controversial? What would you say if a friend asked you about reading this play? What was your favorite part and least favorite part? Which parts were most and least believable? Be specific and offer detailed examples from the text.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)