|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garcin see as he looks on earth?
2. Whose sofa does not match her dress?
3. What does the valet explain about dental hygiene where Garcin is now?
4. Looking at her funeral, what does Estelle try to get her sister to do?
5. After the valet leaves, what is Garcin unable to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inez need from Estelle, and will she get it?
2. What occurs to show how unimportant Garcin's character is to Estelle?
3. Is one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
4. How do they discover an oddity about time?
5. Why would Inez rather deal with hell face-to-face?
6. What is Garcin's explanation for why he is there?
7. Describe briefly the entrance of Estelle.
8. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
9. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
10. How does Estelle know that Inez is in control now?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled Stuck in an Elevator. You and two other people, perfect strangers, are stuck in an elevator. Describe the characters of each person including yourself and discuss whether the situation is positive or negative. Include the closeness of the air and not knowing when or if you will ever get out.
Essay Topic 2
The scene where Inez offers help Estelle with her lipstick is very revealing of the central tension between the two women and shows the audience more about their inner selves. Chose one of the following:
A) Discuss how this scene fits into the love triangle structure that Sartre uses to build dramatic tension.
B) Explain what this scene reveals about Inez and Estelle and helps show the audience how they really are, focusing on explicit action and how it reveals implicit meanings.
Essay Topic 3
Write a two-page character analysis of Inez. Explain why she is the strongest character of the three. Include how she is the only one without any illusions about who she really is.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)