|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sofas are there in the room?
2. What term does Estelle prefer for her condition?
3. Whom did Estelle expect to meet in the room?
4. What personal item does Garcin miss?
5. How many times was Garcin shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
2. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
3. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
4. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
5. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
6. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
7. Why does Inez believe Garcin to be her torturer?
8. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
9. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
10. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was a fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)