|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Estelle's brother like?
2. How many years was Estelle happily married?
3. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
4. Whom does Inez believe to be her torturer, at first?
5. What term does Estelle prefer for her condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
2. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
3. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
4. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
5. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
6. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
7. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
8. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
9. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
10. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sartre uses symbols to communicate deeper levels of meaning in this play. In an essay, describe the first instances of this symbol, i.e. what it meant and how it was represented at the beginning of the play. Then examine how the symbol evolved, or how the characters' and audiences understanding of the symbol changes over the course of the play. Chose one of the following symbols:
A) The bronze statue.
B) The human eye.
Essay Topic 2
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was a fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)