|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character enters the room first?
2. According to one of the characters, how many official torturers does Hell have?
3. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
4. What did Inez do for a living?
5. Whom does Inez believe to be her torturer, at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
2. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
3. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
4. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
5. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
6. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
7. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
8. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
9. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
10. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of implicit meaning in this play, and the characters misrepresent their pasts to varying degrees. While Inez is relatively upfront about her crimes, Garcin holds back and Estelle is in severe denial about her past. Pick two of the explicit actions of the play below and discuss the implicit significance of each.
A) Garcin kissing Estelle.
B) Inez lying about the pimple.
C) Estelle crying without tears.
Essay Topic 2
Inez proclaims herself cruel, saying "I'm your lark-mirror, my dear, and you can't escape me....There isn't any pimple, not a trace of one. So what about it? Suppose the mirror started telling lies? Or suppose I covered my eyes--as he is doing--and refused to look at you."
1. Contextualize this passage in terms of the section of the scene it comes from: What is happening when Inez says it?
2. Analyze what role the mirror symbol plays in this section. Why use this symbol right now?
3. What does it demonstrate about Garcin's relationship to Estelle?
Essay Topic 3
Punishment and suffering are two major themes in this play, especially in terms of characterizing the three main characters. Chose one of the options below:
A) The characters deserved their punishment as it fit their crimes.
B) The characters did not deserve to suffer the way they did. Their actions in the room should make up for their crimes.
Please chose just one character to write about (Garcin, Inez or Florence) and write an essay that makes an argument for either A) or B) above.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)