|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says that the three are all "damned souls"?
2. When Estelle enters the room, who is already there?
3. Who is the third person to be ushered into the room?
4. Who asks the Valet if they can turn out the lights?
5. After the valet leaves, what is Garcin unable to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characters' reactions as they gape at the door that opened by itself?
2. When the door finally opens, why do the characters not leave?
3. Describe briefly the entrance of Estelle.
4. When the eyes do not work as a mirror, how does Inez help Estelle and to what result?
5. What happens to separate Garcin and Estelle?
6. What is Inez's answer to Garcin's question whether it's possible to truly judge another's life on the basis of one action?
7. Why does Inez's taunt that Garcin is obeying Estelle like a dog would a master force Garcin to stop kissing her?
8. Why does the author show Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
9. Is Inez's assertion that you can be judged on the basis of one action correct? Why or why not?
10. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled the Best Person I Know. Select a person who has had a major impact on your life and what influence that person has had on the decisions you have made.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled Being Responsible for My Own Actions. In the essay deal with the way my actions more than my words reveal my character. This essay requires a great deal of honesty.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea that people always die too soon or too late. Explain what each condition means and give examples of the points you are making.
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)