|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Estelle's brother like?
2. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
3. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
4. When Inez refers to a cafeteria, "Where customers serve themselves," what is she talking about?
5. How many bronze statues are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
2. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
3. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
4. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
5. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
6. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
7. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
8. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
9. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
10. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was a fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Because these characters are dead, issues of death and dying strongly affect the way they behave. Describe how each character died, using as many specifics as you can remember from the play. After you describe how each character died, chose one of the following below and write one paragraph:
A) In your opinion, which death was the "worst" or most unfortunate, and why?
B) Describe which death you feel was most appropriate, that is: which character deserved to die the way they did, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How one character punishes another is of primary importance in this play. The reasons why these three are each other's perfect torturers are revealed in the action of the play and in the things the characters say to each other. Chose one of the following and write an essay:
A) How Inez is the best torturer for Garcin.
B) How Garcin is the best torturer for Estelle.
C) How Estelle is the best torturer for Inez.
Be sure to explain the specific ways in which the character tortured his/her fellow character, and why their particular ways of inflicting pain were sure to be the most painful. In addition, briefly state which one would be the best torturer for you and why.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)