|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
2. Why are the three characters in the room?
3. Inez recognizes what a torturer looks like from...
4. What kind of newspaper did Garcin run?
5. Where was Garcin shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
2. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
3. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
4. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
5. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
6. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
7. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
8. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
9. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
10. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chose either Garcin, Estelle, or Inez and write a detailed character sketch, that includes not only information about their actions and feelings, but also about their use by the author to demonstrate ideas about guilt, denial, cowardice and cruelty. Use specific examples that demonstrate your ideas about their characterizations.
Essay Topic 2
Feminist critique of this play might argue that while all three characters are unlikable, the portrayal of women is skewed toward the negative. Inez is cruel and Estelle vain, and Garcin makes altogether a more sympathetic impact on the audience.
(chose one, A or B)
A) Compare and contrast the ways Sartre characterizes Inez and Estelle. Focus on textual specifics: What they look like, how they behave, and what the audience thinks of them. How are their portrayals similar to and different from each other?
B) Decide if you think that Garcin is a sympathetic character and one audiences will like. Defend your argument either that he is likable or is not likable with examples.
C) Discuss how the off screen characters--Roger, Florence, Inez's cousin, Garcin's wife--affect your interpretation of and response to either A) or B) above.
Essay Topic 3
Punishment and suffering are two major themes in this play, especially in terms of characterizing the three main characters. Chose one of the options below:
A) The characters deserved their punishment as it fit their crimes.
B) The characters did not deserve to suffer the way they did. Their actions in the room should make up for their crimes.
Please chose just one character to write about (Garcin, Inez or Florence) and write an essay that makes an argument for either A) or B) above.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)