|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garcin try to move?
2. What does Inez say they all must be guilty of?
3. Which character flirts with Estelle?
4. How many mirrors are there in the room?
5. What is the temperature like in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
2. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
3. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
4. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
5. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
6. Why does Inez believe Garcin to be her torturer?
7. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
8. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
9. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
10. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How one character punishes another is of primary importance in this play. The reasons why these three are each other's perfect torturers are revealed in the action of the play and in the things the characters say to each other. Chose one of the following and write an essay:
A) How Inez is the best torturer for Garcin.
B) How Garcin is the best torturer for Estelle.
C) How Estelle is the best torturer for Inez.
Be sure to explain the specific ways in which the character tortured his/her fellow character, and why their particular ways of inflicting pain were sure to be the most painful. In addition, briefly state which one would be the best torturer for you and why.
Essay Topic 2
Since Garcin was a pacifist whose weakness was a fear of being a coward, he is particularly concerned with what his colleagues at the newspaper thought of him. Describe how Garcin's pacifism affects his behavior in the room. Does he refuse to fight? Does he show cowardice in his interactions with Estelle and Inez? What does he feel during his various visions of life going on without him?
In addition, decide whether or not you think Garcin was really a coward and write a paragraph supporting your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Estelle is characterized as the most selfish of the three characters. Explain the details Sartre uses to show these aspects of her character, including her physical description, her behavior in the room as well as her actions before.
A) Consider her life before: her marriage, affair and pregnancy. What do these details demonstrate about her as a person?
B) Consider her behavior in the room. How does she act, and how do you think that her treatment of Garcin and Inez contributes to the overall conflict of the play?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)