|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character wishes they were there "by mistake"?
2. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
3. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
4. What did Inez die of?
5. What term does Estelle prefer for her condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
2. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
3. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
4. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
5. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
6. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
7. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
8. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
9. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
10. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the dramatic tension increases, the characters reveal more about themselves and their pasts, and lay themselves bare to their fellow torturers. Their former lives are also like mirrors that suddenly show them the truths of their existence. Pick one of the passages below and explicate it in terms of this image of inner truth:
A) "There they are, slumped in their chairs, sucking at their cigars. Bored they look. Half-asleep. They're thinking: 'Garcin's a coward." [Garcin]
B) "The music is growing fainter. They've turned down the lights, as they do for a tango. Why are they playing so softly? Louder, please. I can't hear. It's so far away, so far away." [Estelle]
C) "The windows are wide open, a man is sitting on the bed. My bed, if you please!" [Inez]
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the play, Garcin and Estelle make ready to flee the room. Describe what happens when the door opens. Consider the following questions: Why does Garcin want to leave the room? Why does Estelle want to leave the room? Does Inez want to leave the room? Why or why not.
In addition, decide what you would do, if you were in their circumstances. Would you leave the room? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In some ways, this play is characterized by a "battle of the sexes" that is also complicated by a love triangle. Closely read Estelle's assertion that "Well, in that case our tastes differ. That's all it proves. [Turning to INEZ] What about you? Do you like men in their shirt-sleeves?"
Answer the following questions:
1. How does this statement characterize Estelle? What does it communicate about her?
2. What does it reveal about Inez?
3. How does it contribute to the rising dramatic tension in the play? How does it affect the intensifying interactions between the three main characters?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)