|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If he could be back with them for one day, where would Garcin fling their lie?
(a) In the dumpster.
(b) In their face.
(c) Off a bridge.
(d) In their teeth.
2. What does Gardin admit to?
(a) Being in love with Inez.
(b) Stealing money from his newspaper.
(c) Moving to Brazil to escape the police.
(d) Treating his wife badly.
3. Inez says that she won't do any harm if she is left alone with whom?
4. What does Garcin say that he will withstand?
(a) Burning cinders and razor wire.
(b) Red-hot tongs and molten lead.
(c) Broken glass and hot coals.
(d) Sharp knives and hot oil.
5. Garcin wishes he had been placed in a room full of what?
(c) His mistresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garcin implores the characters to ignore each other, who says that she could never forget about them?
2. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
3. How did Estelle's lover die?
4. Estelle says she likes men with what?
5. Whom is Estelle watching down on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
2. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
3. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
4. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
5. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
6. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
7. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
8. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
9. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
10. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)