|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Florence crept out of bed and...
(a) Fell in front of the tram.
(b) Turned on the gas.
(c) Jumped off the balcony.
(d) Ran away.
2. Who asks Inez to forget her role as a torturer?
3. How did Estelle's lover die?
(a) He shot himself.
(b) He jumped off a building.
(c) He was hit by a tram.
(d) He poisoned himself with gas.
4. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
(b) Pocket knife.
(c) Pocket mirror.
(d) House keys.
5. Which character notices that Estelle has a nasty red pimple on her cheek?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garcin implores the characters to ignore each other, who says that she could never forget about them?
2. Who does Estelle says she has a hard time making friends with?
3. Who calls Garcin a brute?
4. Who says that s/he is "rotten to the core"?
5. What does Gardin admit to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
2. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
3. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
4. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
5. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
6. Why do you think that Inez would rather deal with hell face to face?
7. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
8. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
9. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
10. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)