|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Garcin call a swine?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His wife.
(d) A police officer.
2. Who calls Garcin a brute?
3. Who spits in Inez's face?
4. How did Garcin face death?
5. Who is judging Garcin?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mistress.
(c) His mother.
(d) His coworkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character killed herself by gas poisoning?
2. How did Inez really die?
3. Who admits to being "rather cruel"?
4. What does Estelle want from Garcin?
5. Inez calls Estelle...
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
2. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
5. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
6. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
7. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
8. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
9. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
10. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)