|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Garcin asks Estelle if she could do what?
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Say he was brave.
(c) Kill Inez.
(d) Have faith in him and love him.
2. Estelle says she likes men with what?
(a) Genteel manners.
(b) Big plans.
(c) Tough skin and rough hands.
(d) Nice clothes.
3. Who asks Inez to forget her role as a torturer?
4. Who says that s/he is "rotten to the core"?
5. Which character notices that Estelle has a nasty red pimple on her cheek?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garcin says, "I've left my fate in their hands," who is he talking about?
2. What does Garcin says both Inez and Estelle do to him?
3. Who is judging Garcin?
4. How did Garcin's wife die?
5. Whose marriage did Inez break up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
2. What is Inez guilty of?
3. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
4. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
5. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
6. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
7. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
8. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
9. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
10. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)