|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Garcin want to face death courageously?
(a) To prove that his wife should love him.
(b) To prove that the war should stop.
(c) Tp prove that he was no coward.
(d) To prove that his newspaper should win an award.
2. Who wanted Estelle to have a baby?
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her lover.
(d) She herself.
3. Garcin asks Estelle if she could do what?
(a) Have faith in him and love him.
(b) Say he was brave.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Kill Inez.
4. Florence crept out of bed and...
(a) Ran away.
(b) Jumped off the balcony.
(c) Turned on the gas.
(d) Fell in front of the tram.
5. If he could be back with them for one day, where would Garcin fling their lie?
(a) Off a bridge.
(b) In the dumpster.
(c) In their teeth.
(d) In their face.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garcin implores the characters to ignore each other, who says that she could never forget about them?
2. When Garcin sees Gomez, how much time has passed?
3. Whose marriage did Inez break up?
4. Who says that s/he is "rotten to the core"?
5. Where did Estelle go with Roger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
2. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
3. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
4. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
5. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
6. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
7. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
8. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
9. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
10. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)