|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Estelle ask Garcin to do in Part 4?
(a) Take off his jacket.
(b) Let Inez sit on his couch.
(c) Ring for the valet.
(d) Hold her for comfort.
2. Garcin asks Estelle if she could do what?
(a) Kiss him.
(b) Have faith in him and love him.
(c) Kill Inez.
(d) Say he was brave.
3. Which character claims, at first, not to know why s/he would be in the room?
4. How did Estelle's lover die?
(a) He poisoned himself with gas.
(b) He jumped off a building.
(c) He shot himself.
(d) He was hit by a tram.
5. When Garcin sees Gomez, how much time has passed?
(a) Five years.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three or four hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Estelle upset by what Olga is saying to Peter?
2. What item does Estelle ask the others for?
3. Why does Inez offer Estelle a place on her couch?
4. Who is attracted to Estelle?
5. Garcin wishes he had been placed in a room full of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
2. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
3. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
4. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
5. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
6. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
7. Why does the image of a young couple making love in her apartment so upset Inez?
8. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
9. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
10. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)