|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Garcin face death?
2. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
(b) House keys.
(c) Pocket mirror.
(d) Pocket knife.
3. When Garcin is paying attention to what is happening at the newspaper office, what is he hearing?
(a) They are talking about him.
(b) They are talking about the weather.
(c) They are talking about the war.
(d) They are talking about the new newspaper that just started.
4. Who is attracted to Estelle?
5. How did Inez's cousin die?
(a) Hit by a tram.
(c) Shot twelve times.
(d) Jumped off a bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garcin says, "I've left my fate in their hands," who is he talking about?
2. Who served Garcin and his mistress coffee in bed?
3. What does Estelle ask Garcin to do in Part 4?
4. Garcin wishes he had been placed in a room full of what?
5. Who asks Inez to forget her role as a torturer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
2. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
3. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
4. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
5. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
6. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
7. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
8. Why is it significant that Garcin's colleagues have called him a coward?
9. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
10. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)