|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character killed herself by gas poisoning?
2. If he could be back with them for one day, where would Garcin fling their lie?
(a) In their face.
(b) Off a bridge.
(c) In the dumpster.
(d) In their teeth.
3. Who calls Garcin a brute?
4. Why can't Estelle see herself properly in Inez's eyes?
(a) Because Inez keeps winking.
(b) Because Inez wears thick glasses.
(c) Because her reflection is too tiny.
(d) Because the room is too dark.
5. Who says that s/he is "rotten to the core"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Estelle says she has a hard time making friends with?
2. Why is Inez upset by her vision in Part 4?
3. Whom did Inez fall in love with on Earth?
4. When Garcin is paying attention to what is happening at the newspaper office, what is he hearing?
5. How did Inez's cousin die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Garcin flee to Mexico, and what does it have to do with cowardice?
2. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
3. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
4. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
5. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
6. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
7. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
8. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
9. What is Inez guilty of?
10. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)