|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Estelle ask the others for?
(a) Reading material.
(b) Breath mints.
(c) A pocket mirror.
2. Who calls Garcin a brute?
3. Which character sings softly to him/herself?
4. What dance does Garcin tells Estelle he does not do?
5. Whose marriage did Inez break up?
(b) Her cousin's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Garcin describes Estelle's eyes?
2. What does Gardin admit to?
3. Garcin was a...
4. When Garcin implores the characters to ignore each other, who says that she could never forget about them?
5. What was Estelle's lover's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
2. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
3. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
4. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
5. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
6. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
7. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
8. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
9. Do you think that Garcin really would prefer physical torture? Which would you prefer--physical or mental anguish of this kind?
10. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)