|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Estelle describes herself as what little bird?
2. What does Estelle want from Garcin?
(b) His jacket.
3. Garcin was a...
(d) Train conductor.
4. What does Gardin admit to?
(a) Moving to Brazil to escape the police.
(b) Treating his wife badly.
(c) Stealing money from his newspaper.
(d) Being in love with Inez.
5. What does Garcin says both Inez and Estelle do to him?
(a) They make him happy.
(b) They disgust him.
(c) They make him angry.
(d) They attract him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character sits with his/her hands over his ears?
2. Whom is Estelle attracted to?
3. If he could be back with them for one day, where would Garcin fling their lie?
4. When Garcin says, "I've left my fate in their hands," who is he talking about?
5. What emotion does Garcin feels toward Inez in Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Garcin say he treated his wife so badly?
2. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
3. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
4. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
5. What is Inez guilty of?
6. What do you think of Inez's promise to not do Garcin any harm if he leaves her and Estelle in peace?
7. What does Sartre demonstrate about Garcin when he interrupts his kissing Estelle to listen in to what his colleagues are saying?
8. What do you think of Inez's attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
9. What does Garcin mean when he says that he can see where talking to each other will lead?
10. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)