|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose marriage did Inez break up?
(c) Her cousin's.
2. What happens to the room where Inez used to live?
(a) It is rented by a young couple.
(b) The city had it condemned.
(c) Olga and her husband live there now.
(d) Florence lives there now.
3. Estelle describes herself as what little bird?
4. Garcin asks Estelle if she could do what?
(a) Have faith in him and love him.
(b) Say he was brave.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Kill Inez.
5. Florence crept out of bed and...
(a) Fell in front of the tram.
(b) Jumped off the balcony.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Turned on the gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Garcin's wife die?
2. In Estelle's vision, the dancers are dancing which dance when they turn out the lights?
3. What does Garcin says both Inez and Estelle do to him?
4. Inez is glad the she and Estelle will...
5. Who spits in Inez's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as cruel?
2. Why do you think that Inez tries to pull Garcin off Estelle?
3. How does Garcin feel when Estelle tells him that it does not matter if he is a coward as long as he kisses well?
4. Why do you think that Estelle is flattered by Inez attention, even after she knows that Inez is being cruel?
5. How is Inez's volunteering to be the mirror for Estelle symbolic?
6. In this section of the play, Estelle asks Garcin to hold her. Why?
7. What do you think is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
8. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
9. Although both Inez and Garcin pressure Estelle into telling them why she is in the room, at the end of the section, why is Estelle only angry with Inez and not Garcin?
10. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)