|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
2. What was Estelle's brother like?
(b) Rough and ill-mannered.
(c) Terribly delicate.
(d) Rich and accomplished.
3. Which character says that the room is ugly?
4. When Estelle enters the room, who is already there?
(a) Inez and Garcin.
(b) Inez and Florence.
(c) only Florence.
(d) only Garcin.
5. Garcin says that they should all sit there...
(a) Telling each other their stories.
(b) Yelling for the Valet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Garcin suggests they all stay where?
2. Who asks the Valet if they can turn out the lights?
3. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
4. Which character says that the three are all "damned souls"?
5. When Inez refers to a cafeteria, "Where customers serve themselves," what is she talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
2. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
3. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
4. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
5. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
6. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
7. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
8. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
9. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
10. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)