|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says that the room is ugly?
2. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
(a) Loathed angles.
(b) Hired an interior designer.
(c) Enjoyed bronze statues.
(d) Upholstered her own sofas.
3. What is the temperature like in the room?
(a) Too hot.
(c) Too cold.
(d) Warm, but bearable.
4. What is Garcin's profession?
5. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
Short Answer Questions
1. Garcin says that they should all sit there...
2. What happened to make Estelle's marriage unhappy?
3. Whom does Inez believe to be her torturer, at first?
4. When Inez refers to a cafeteria, "Where customers serve themselves," what is she talking about?
5. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
2. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
3. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
4. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
5. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
6. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
7. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
8. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
9. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
10. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)