|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is smoking cigars in one of the visions?
(b) Garcin's colleagues.
(d) Estelle's husband.
2. Whom did Estelle expect to meet in the room?
(c) Friends or relatives.
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who asks the Valet if they can turn out the lights?
5. What did Inez die of?
(a) She was murdered by Olga.
(b) A gas leak.
(c) She was run over by a tram.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Estelle prefer for her condition?
2. What is the temperature like in the room?
3. Inez recognizes what a torturer looks like from...
4. Why are there no beds in the room?
5. Who sees Olga in a vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
2. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
3. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
4. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
5. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
6. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
7. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
8. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
9. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
10. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)