|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Garcin sees whom in his vision?
(a) His former coworkers.
(b) His parents.
(c) His children.
(d) His mistresses.
2. What is Estelle's friend's name?
3. What kind of newspaper did Garcin run?
4. Whose sofa does not match her dress?
5. What does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in?
(a) Short pants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character wishes they were there "by mistake"?
2. Whom does Estelle expect in the room?
3. Who asked Estelle to run away with him/her?
4. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
5. What does Inez realize first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
2. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
3. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
4. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
5. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
6. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
7. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
8. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
9. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
10. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)