|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inez realize first?
(a) That Estelle and Garcin are lovers.
(b) That the room has no windows.
(c) That the bronze cannot be moved.
(d) That they are to be each other's torturers.
2. Which character says "I don't care much for men anyway"?
3. Whom did Estelle expect to meet in the room?
(a) Friends or relatives.
4. What is the temperature like in the room?
(b) Too cold.
(c) Warm, but bearable.
(d) Too hot.
5. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Inez do for a living?
2. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
3. What does Garcin suggest they all do?
4. Which character is the most reluctant to sit there silently?
5. What does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
2. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
3. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
4. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
5. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
6. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
7. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
8. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
9. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
10. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)