|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do each of their stories reveal about the three characters?
(a) that they knew each other in life
(b) that they still do not believe they are in hell
(c) that they tortured other people in their previous lives
(d) that they have no religious convictions
2. What is Garcin's profession?
3. What is Garcin's complaint about his wife?
(a) that she talked too much
(b) that she always wore red
(c) that she always got on his nerves
(d) that she had many love affairs
4. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
(a) Loathed angles.
(b) Upholstered her own sofas.
(c) Enjoyed bronze statues.
(d) Hired an interior designer.
5. What does Garcin explain to Inez?
(a) torture is not what they have heard it is
(b) the room must fill up with people before the torture
(c) the suffering hasn't yet begun
(d) the torturers are all busy now
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character wishes they were there "by mistake"?
2. What peculiarity do they suddenly realize about where they are?
3. What does Estelle ask Inez and Garcin if they had ever done?
4. What makes Estelle speak?
5. When does Estelle speak sharply to Garcin for the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Inez try to break up Garcin and Estelle?
2. How does Inez respond when Garcin asks her what a torturer looks like?
3. What does Inez need from Estelle, and will she get it?
4. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
5. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
6. Why does Inez stab herself with the knife?
7. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
8. Why does Garcin tell Inez he must get approval from her?
9. How does Inez prevent Garcin from kissing Estelle?
10. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)