|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color does Garcin say his wife always wears?
2. Whom does Garcin see in his vision?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His children.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
3. Garcin suggests they all stay where?
(a) On their own sofas.
(b) Right next to each other.
(c) On opposite sides of the bronze.
(d) Next to the door, in case it opens.
4. What did Estelle die of?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
5. Inez recognizes what a torturer looks like from...
(a) Looking at herself in the mirror.
(b) Looking at a picture of Florence.
(c) Looking at Estelle's reflection the window.
(d) Looking at the Valet's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Estelle's brother like?
2. According to one of the characters, how many official torturers does Hell have?
3. What personal item does Garcin miss?
4. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
5. Who asked Estelle to run away with him/her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
2. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
3. Why does Inez believe Garcin to be her torturer?
4. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
5. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
6. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
7. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
8. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
9. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
10. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)