|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Garcin say always got on his nerves?
(b) His wife.
(c) His mistress.
2. How many times was Garcin shot?
3. How many years was Estelle happily married?
4. How many windows are there in the room?
5. What did Inez do for a living?
(a) Postal clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees Olga in a vision?
2. When Inez refers to a cafeteria, "Where customers serve themselves," what is she talking about?
3. Will the Valet always come when the bell rings?
4. Why are there no beds in the room?
5. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
2. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
3. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
4. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
5. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
6. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
7. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
8. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
9. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
10. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)