|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
(a) Sitting on Inez's sofa.
(b) Sitting on her sofa.
(c) Ringing the bell for the Valet.
(d) Blocking the door.
2. Where does Estelle say her husband is?
(a) At her funeral.
(b) At home.
(c) At the hospital.
(d) At work.
3. Which character is the most reluctant to sit there silently?
4. Estelle's husband was...
(a) Much older.
(b) An important politician.
(c) Young and athletic.
(d) A doctor.
5. Who asked Estelle to run away with him/her?
(b) One of her husband's business partners.
(d) A younger man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the door open?
2. Estelle says that she is in the room...
3. What was Estelle's brother like?
4. According to one of the characters, how many official torturers does Hell have?
5. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
2. Why does Inez believe Garcin to be her torturer?
3. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
4. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
5. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
6. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
7. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
8. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
9. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
10. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)