|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Inez recognizes what a torturer looks like from...
(a) Looking at Estelle's reflection the window.
(b) Looking at a picture of Florence.
(c) Looking at the Valet's face.
(d) Looking at herself in the mirror.
2. Who is smoking cigars in one of the visions?
(b) Estelle's husband.
(d) Garcin's colleagues.
3. Garcin says that they should all sit there...
(b) Yelling for the Valet.
(d) Telling each other their stories.
4. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
5. How many sofas are there in the room?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose sofa does not match her dress?
2. Which character flirts with Estelle?
3. Will the Valet always come when the bell rings?
4. Who has a vision of his/her room being shut up?
5. Whom does Garcin see in his vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
2. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
3. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
4. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
5. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
6. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
7. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
8. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
9. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
10. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)