|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inez say they all must be guilty of?
2. Garcin suggests they all stay where?
(a) On opposite sides of the bronze.
(b) Right next to each other.
(c) On their own sofas.
(d) Next to the door, in case it opens.
3. What happened to make Estelle's marriage unhappy?
(a) She met Inez.
(b) She met a younger man.
(c) Her husband had an affair.
(d) She met Garcin.
4. What did Inez do for a living?
(a) Postal clerk.
5. According to one of the characters, how many official torturers does Hell have?
(c) One for each dead person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Garcin see in his vision?
2. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. Who is the second character to enter the room?
5. Who asks the Valet if they can turn out the lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
2. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
3. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
4. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
5. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
6. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
7. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
8. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
9. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
10. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)