|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bronze statues are there?
2. Who sees Olga in a vision?
3. What does Inez say they all must be guilty of?
4. What does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in?
(b) Short pants.
5. Garcin says that they should all sit there...
(c) Yelling for the Valet.
(d) Telling each other their stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mirrors are there in the room?
2. Whose sofa does not match her dress?
3. Which character wishes they were there "by mistake"?
4. Who says that he/she is already "in order"?
5. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
2. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
3. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
4. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
5. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
6. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
7. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
8. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
9. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
10. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)