|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Inez refers to a cafeteria, "Where customers serve themselves," what is she talking about?
(a) That the valet is late with dinner.
(b) That they are each other's torturers.
(c) That she used to cook for her cousin and his wife.
(d) That Estelle only knows fancy parties.
2. Which character says that the room is ugly?
3. Garcin suggests they all stay where?
(a) Next to the door, in case it opens.
(b) Right next to each other.
(c) On their own sofas.
(d) On opposite sides of the bronze.
4. Which character is the first to offer up his/her sofa to the third person to enter the room?
5. Who is the second character to enter the room?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Garcin live?
2. What does Garcin suggest they all do?
3. Whom does Garcin say always got on his nerves?
4. What did Estelle die of?
5. Estelle's husband was...
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
2. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
3. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
4. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
5. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
6. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
7. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
8. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
9. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
10. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)