|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
2. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
(a) Upholstered her own sofas.
(b) Hired an interior designer.
(c) Enjoyed bronze statues.
(d) Loathed angles.
3. Where was Garcin shot?
(a) In his back.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the neck.
(d) In the head.
4. Garcin says that they should all sit there...
(b) Yelling for the Valet.
(c) Telling each other their stories.
5. According to one of the characters, how many official torturers does Hell have?
(a) One for each dead person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there no beds in the room?
2. How many sofas are there in the room?
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. What did Inez die of?
5. What did Inez do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
2. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
3. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
4. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
5. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
6. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
7. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
8. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
9. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
10. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)