|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of newspaper did Garcin run?
2. What does Inez ask Estelle about her death?
(a) if she was murdered
(b) if she suffered
(c) if she was ready
(d) if she knew she was dying
3. What is the temperature like in the room?
(a) Too cold.
(c) Too hot.
(d) Warm, but bearable.
4. What does the valet say is outside the room where Garcin is?
(a) dangerous dogs
(b) thick flames
(c) passages, more rooms, and stairs
(d) empty space
5. What does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in?
(c) Short pants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Garcin unable to move in the room?
2. What was Inez's occupation on earth?
3. What does the valet say about the bell?
4. What do the three characters bicker over?
5. What is the main question the three characters have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Inez misunderstand Estelle that makes her respond in a vindictive way?
2. Why does Inez lie about Estelle's pimple?
3. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
4. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
5. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
6. What does the paper knife symbolize?
7. Sartre uses a mirror as a symbol in Part 3. Describe how the mirror is important to understanding the character of Estelle.
8. How does Estelle name drop to show her importance?
9. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
10. Explain the exchange about the toothbrush.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)