|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Garcin say always got on his nerves?
(c) His wife.
(d) His mistress.
2. Why are there no beds in the room?
(a) They will be out of the room before night.
(b) The beds are upstairs, in a different part of the house.
(c) They are expected to sleep in the sofas.
(d) There is no need to sleep.
3. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
4. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
5. What was Estelle's brother like?
(a) Terribly delicate.
(b) Rich and accomplished.
(c) Rough and ill-mannered.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the door open?
2. Who shows Garcin the way into the room?
3. Estelle says that she is in the room...
4. What is Olga doing when Estelle, Garcin, and Inez discover that time moves differently in the room than on Earth?
5. What is Garcin's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
2. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
3. What is Garcin's response to Inez saying that there was reason to be afraid "before," but not now?
4. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
5. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
6. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
7. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
8. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
9. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
10. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)