|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in?
(d) Short pants.
2. What kind of newspaper did Garcin run?
3. According to one of the characters, how many official torturers does Hell have?
(b) One for each dead person.
4. Where was Garcin shot?
(a) In the chest.
(b) In his back.
(c) In the head.
(d) In the neck.
5. What did Inez do for a living?
(a) Postal clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garcin try to move?
2. Garcin suggests they all stay where?
3. What did Inez die of?
4. What personal item does Garcin miss?
5. What color does Garcin say his wife always wears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
2. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
3. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
4. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
5. When Garcin is asked why he is in the room, what does he say? Do you believe him, and why or why not?
6. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
7. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
8. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
9. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
10. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)