|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character wishes they were there "by mistake"?
2. What happened to make Estelle's marriage unhappy?
(a) She met Inez.
(b) She met Garcin.
(c) She met a younger man.
(d) Her husband had an affair.
3. How many bronze statues are there?
4. How many years was Estelle happily married?
5. Why are there no beds in the room?
(a) They will be out of the room before night.
(b) They are expected to sleep in the sofas.
(c) There is no need to sleep.
(d) The beds are upstairs, in a different part of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says that the three are all "damned souls"?
2. How many windows are there in the room?
3. Which character acts snobbish when he/she learns what the others did for a living?
4. Estelle says that she is in the room...
5. Where does Estelle say her husband is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sartre introduce Estelle with her concerns about the sofas?
2. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
3. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
4. Why does Estelle refuse Inez's offer of her sofa?
5. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
6. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
7. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
8. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
9. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
10. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)