|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is smoking cigars in one of the visions?
(a) Estelle's husband.
(b) Garcin's colleagues.
2. What did Garcin describe his workplace as always being?
(a) Stifingly hot.
(b) Cold as a tomb.
3. What does Garcin try to move?
(b) Bronze statue.
4. What color does Garcin say his wife always wears?
5. What kind of newspaper did Garcin run?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Olga doing when Estelle, Garcin, and Inez discover that time moves differently in the room than on Earth?
2. How many mirrors are there in the room?
3. Which character enters the room first?
4. What is Garcin's profession?
5. Estelle is the first character to suggest that they...
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
2. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
3. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
4. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
5. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
6. How do you know that these characters are dead and in hell, despite the fact that Sartre does not explicitly state it?
7. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important at this part in the play?
8. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
9. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
10. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)