Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inez say a torturer looks like?
2. Which sofa does Estelle prefer?
(b) a new one to be brought in
(d) none of them
3. What is the main question the three characters have?
(a) why the valet never returns
(b) why they've not been told anything
(c) why they have no window in the room
(d) why they've been sent to hell and put together in this room
4. What does Estelle accuse Garcin of trying to do?
(a) seduce her
(b) gag Inez
(c) murder her
(d) seduce Inez
5. Why does Estelle speak sharply to Garcin?
(a) because he's sitting on her sofa
(b) because he is a man
(c) because he makes fun of her
(d) because he is the torturer
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Inez's reaction when she is ushered into the room?
2. When talking about the decoration of the room, Estelle says that she has always...?
3. When Inez refers to a cafeteria, "where customers serve themselves," what is she talking about?
4. Who is smoking cigars in one of the visions?
5. What question does Garcin ask Inez?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Estelle really want Garcin to kiss her so he can have revenge on Inez?
2. Why does Estelle stab Inez with the paper knife?
3. What are the characters' reactions as they gape at the door that opened by itself?
4. When the eyes do not work as a mirror, how does Inez help Estelle and to what result?
5. Why does Inez stab herself with the knife?
6. When the door finally opens, why do the characters not leave?
7. How has Garcin been trying to ignore the conversation between Estelle and Inez?
8. Why does Sartre have Garcin say he would prefer physical torture over mental anguish?
9. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
10. Why does Sartre have Inez attempt to woo Estelle by calling her by the romantic names her lovers used to use?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)