|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inez realize first?
(a) That they are to be each other's torturers.
(b) That Estelle and Garcin are lovers.
(c) That the bronze cannot be moved.
(d) That the room has no windows.
2. How many sofas are there in the room?
3. Who tries to take off his/her jacket?
4. Who says that he/she is already "in order"?
5. What does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in?
(a) Short pants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Garcin say always got on his nerves?
2. Whom does Garcin see in his vision?
3. Which character enters the room first?
4. What was Estelle's brother like?
5. Who asks the Valet if they can turn out the lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
2. When Garcin asks the Valet what is outside the room, what does the Valet say?
3. Describe Inez's reaction to the Estelle's and Garcin's reasons for why they are in the room.
4. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
5. When Garcin asks Inez how she knows what a torturer looks like, what does she say?
6. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the first part of the play?
7. Do you think that one of these characters is more truthful than the other two? If so, which one?
8. What does Estelle complain about when she enters the room?
9. Why are there no toothbrushes or beds in the room?
10. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)