|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inez say they all must be guilty of?
2. What is Inez's scornful rebuke to Estelle and Garcin?
(a) that they all need to shut up
(b) that they stop playing games and just tell the truth
(c) that they think they're better than anyone else
(d) that they don't think before they speak
3. Why does Estelle insist she is there?
(a) because someone bribed the judge
(b) because she took a wrong turn in the astral world
(c) because somebody made a mistake
(d) becasue is going back to earth
4. Why did the pacifist Garcin get shot for publishing his paper?
(a) because he was insincere
(b) because he was getting rich
(c) because there was a war on
(d) because he supported a rebellion
5. Which character used to go to parties at the country homes of her friends?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Estelle to run away with him/her?
2. When does Estelle speak sharply to Garcin for the second time?
3. To figure out why they are there, what does Inez suggest?
4. What does the valet say is outside the room where Garcin is?
5. Where does Estelle say her husband is during her funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estelle say about why she thinks she is in the room?
2. Why does Estelle shed no actual tears when she cries?
3. Why is Estelle so upset when she sees Olga tell one of her lovers the truth?
4. Who recognizes the subterfuge and what does she have to say about it?
5. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself at the beginning of the play.
6. Why are eyes and "not looking at each other" symbolically important in the play, after the characters have visions of life on earth?
7. What is the worst thing Garcin did to his wife?
8. How do the characters finally understand their condition?
9. If Inez does not seem to care about her appearance, why does she normally carry a mirror?
10. What is the strange question Inez asks after the valet leaves?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)