|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many windows are there in the room?
2. Whom did Estelle expect to meet in the room?
(a) Friends or relatives.
3. Whom does Garcin see in his vision?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mistress.
4. Why are there no beds in the room?
(a) They are expected to sleep in the sofas.
(b) They will be out of the room before night.
(c) The beds are upstairs, in a different part of the house.
(d) There is no need to sleep.
5. Where does Estelle say her husband is?
(a) At home.
(b) At work.
(c) At her funeral.
(d) At the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sofas are there in the room?
2. How many bronze statues are there?
3. Which character enters the room first?
4. In part 2, Estelle rebukes Garcin for...
5. When they ask each other how they ended up in the room, who suggests they should be honest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garcin in his shirtsleeves stand for? Why does Estelle say she cannot stand a man in his shirtsleeves?
2. What kinds of differences are established between the three characters when Estelle asks if the other two have ever attended a country party at the home of one of her friends?
3. What makes Inez realize that they are supposed to be each other's torturers?
4. Describe the room in which Garcin finds himself.
5. Why do you think the author shows Garcin looking at his colleagues relaxing at the end of the day, smoking cigars?
6. As Inez, Estelle, and Garcin watch their friends and family back on Earth, how do they react?
7. Why is Estelle surprised to see that Garcin's face is fine?
8. Describe, at this point in the play, the nature of hell.
9. What are some of the things that cause tension between Inez and Garcin?
10. Why does Inez believe Garcin to be her torturer?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)