|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a mirror cannot be found, what does Inez do?
(a) looks under the sofa cushions
(b) tries to polish the statue
(c) begins to cry
(d) volunteers to be Estelle's mirror
2. What is it Estelle really wants?
(a) a real mirror
(b) attention from Garcin
(c) a magazine to read
(d) a maid
3. Who mocks Estelle by calling her "my crystal"?
4. What does Estelle say Garcin doesn't have?
(a) a coward's body
(b) a friend to help him
(c) a look of fear
(d) an open mind
5. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
(a) Pocket knife.
(c) House keys.
(d) Pocket mirror.
6. Seeing Estelle and Garcin together, what does Inez attempt to do?
(a) to convince Estelle to free herself
(b) call the valet
(c) join them
(d) take Estelle's place
7. What question does Garcin say he kept asking himself in solitary confinement?
(a) who turned him in
(b) how he could save his life
(c) why he resisted the war
(d) whether he was a coward
8. Garcin wishes he had been placed in a room full of what?
(d) His mistresses.
9. Estelle describes herself as what little bird?
10. Why does Garcin say Estelle doesn't care whether he is a coward or not?
(a) she only loves herself
(b) as long as he's a man
(c) she is just play acting
(d) she only wants to hurt him
11. What is the symbolism of Estelle's being unable to cry?
(a) how hot it is in hell
(b) the hardness of her heart
(c) less to do with the people she's hurt than with her feeling sorry for herself
(d) her lack of any remorse for what she has done to others
12. Who admits to being "rather cruel"?
13. Which character sings softly to him/herself at the beginning of Part 3?
14. What does Inez demand of Garcin if she stops torturing the others?
(a) to leave her and Estelle in peace
(b) to find a way out of the room
(c) to make love to her
(d) to stop talking all together
15. What does Garcin suggest when Estelle makes advances to him?
(a) she should be seeking comfort from Inez
(b) she should go back and sit on her sofa
(c) she should realize where she is
(d) she shouldn't have told so much about herself
Short Answer Questions
1. Inez says that she won't do any harm if she is left alone with whom?
2. Whom is Estelle attracted to?
3. What makes being friends with Inez difficult for Estelle?
4. What does Garcin conclude there is no way for them to avoid?
5. What is being said about Garcin that he can hear clearly?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)