|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Garcin say will save him?
(a) if he can resist Estelle
(b) if he can get them all to stop torturing each other
(c) if only one person puts flowers on his grave
(d) if there's one person who doesn't believe he's a coward
2. What does Inez call Estelle to try and win her over?
(a) endearments she has never heard before
(b) someone who should try anything once
(c) the romantic names she was called by her young lovers
(d) a woman of great practicality when it comes to love
3. What does Garcin admit that he heard?
(a) the footsteps of the valet in the hall
(b) every word of their conversation
(c) the rattleing of the walls
(d) the wails of lost souls
4. Who is judging Garcin, in his vision of Earth?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His coworkers.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
5. Where was Estelle standing when her baby died?
(a) In her dressing room.
(b) On a balcony.
(c) In the room.
(d) On the beach.
6. Who is Estelle watching down on Earth?
(a) Her husband.
7. What does Estelle say Garcin doesn't have?
(a) a friend to help him
(b) an open mind
(c) a look of fear
(d) a coward's body
8. Why can't Estelle see herself properly in Inez's eyes?
(a) Because her reflection is too tiny.
(b) Because the room is too dark.
(c) Because Inez keeps winking.
(d) Because Inez wears thick glasses.
9. Once again, what does Garcin suggest?
(a) that they try to talk about pleasant things
(b) that they all ignore each other
(c) that the go stand in seperate corners
(d) that they set up a clammor for the valet
10. When Garcin implores the characters to ignore each other, who says that she could never forget about them?
11. What did Estelle do to her baby?
(a) Smothered it.
(b) Drowned it in the bathtub.
(c) Shook it.
(d) Drowned it in a lake.
12. Whom did Inez fall in love with on Earth?
(a) Her cousin's husband.
(d) Her husband's cousin.
13. What happened to Florence's husband?
(a) he abused Florence for her suspicions
(b) he ran off with another woman
(c) he was run over by a tram
(d) he left the country
14. What does Estelle want from Garcin?
(c) His jacket.
15. What comment does Inez make about Estelle's mouth after she gets the lipstick on?
(a) it looks like a clown
(b) it looks better
(c) it looks cruel
(d) it looks perfect
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character was "fair, a natural blond"?
2. What does Inez tell Garcin he looks like?
3. What does Garcin finally suggest they all should do?
4. What does Inez say about her ability to let go of her role as torturer?
5. Whose marriage did Inez break up?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)