|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Estelle standing when her baby died?
(a) In her dressing room.
(b) On the beach.
(c) On a balcony.
(d) In the room.
2. What is Inez referring to in the following passage: "Far better. Crueler. [It] looks quite diabolical that way."
(a) Estelle's mouth.
(b) Florence's eyes.
(c) Estelle's eyes.
(d) Estelle's pimple.
3. Who is Estelle watching down on Earth?
(a) Her husband.
4. What is Garcin trying to hear?
(a) someone in his office talking about him
(b) what Inez is whispering to Estelle
(c) the sound of footsteps in the hall
(d) some distant music in the hall
5. What happened to Florence's husband?
(a) he abused Florence for her suspicions
(b) he was run over by a tram
(c) he left the country
(d) he ran off with another woman
6. What question does Garcin say he kept asking himself in solitary confinement?
(a) why he resisted the war
(b) who turned him in
(c) whether he was a coward
(d) how he could save his life
7. How did Inez treat Florence after she moved into her flat?
(a) ignoring her all the time
(b) like a servant
(c) lovingly like a sister
(d) always making her suffer
8. Who spits in Inez's face?
9. What does Garcin finally agree that attempts at politeness between them turns out to be?
(a) a way to make them happy
(b) a way to beat the devil
(c) a way to stay sane
(d) a waste of time
10. Which character(s) refers to Estelle as "the child"?
(a) Garcin and Inez.
(b) Inez only.
(c) Garcin only.
11. After Estelle rejects Inez, what does Garcin agree to?
(a) to try and open the door
(b) to stop participating in the torture
(c) to comfort Estelle and takes her in his arms
(d) to referee between the two women
12. What emotion does Garcin feels toward Inez in Part 4?
13. Who wanted Estelle to have a baby?
(a) She herself.
(b) Her husband.
(d) Her lover.
14. What would Garcin like to do?
(a) slap Inez
(b) be able to cry
(c) see himself in a mirror
(d) strangle Estelle
15. Who admits to being "rather cruel"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garcin ask Estelle?
2. What is being said about Garcin that he can hear clearly?
3. What does Garcin conclude there is no way for them to avoid?
4. What does Garcin say at that point to both Estelle and Inez?
5. Inez says that she always carries what item?.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)