|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many mirrors does Estelle have in her bedroom?
2. Whom does Estelle get the most attention from?
3. What does Gardin admit to?
(a) Moving to Brazil to escape the police.
(b) Being in love with Inez.
(c) Treating his wife badly.
(d) Stealing money from his newspaper.
4. What does Inez promise Estelle she will do?
(a) make no comment about how she looks
(b) apply her makeup for her
(c) stand very still and not blink
(d) tell her the truth about how she looks
5. What does Garcin finally suggest they all should do?
(a) Tell each other ghost stories.
(b) Keep lying to each other.
(c) Stop being polite and just tell the truth.
(d) Break out of the room.
6. What does Inez demand of Garcin if she stops torturing the others?
(a) to leave her and Estelle in peace
(b) to find a way out of the room
(c) to make love to her
(d) to stop talking all together
7. What had Estelle done that so offended her young lover?
(a) blackmailed him
(b) refused to take his calls
(c) killed their baby daughter
(d) tried to buy him off
8. What is being said about Garcin that he can hear clearly?
(a) that he stole the newspaper's money
(b) that he was a coward
(c) that he committed suicide
(d) that he was a hero
9. Which character sings softly to him/herself at the beginning of Part 3?
10. What is Inez referring to in the following passage: "Far better. Crueler. [It] looks quite diabolical that way."
(a) Estelle's eyes.
(b) Estelle's pimple.
(c) Florence's eyes.
(d) Estelle's mouth.
11. What does Inez describe Estelle's mouth as?
12. When a mirror cannot be found, what does Inez do?
(a) looks under the sofa cushions
(b) begins to cry
(c) tries to polish the statue
(d) volunteers to be Estelle's mirror
13. What condition does being in the same room with each other produce for them?
(a) they are unable to think about each other
(b) they are constantly present in each other's minds
(c) they are slowly forgetting their lives on earth
(d) they are not animate things to look at
14. Whom did Inez fall in love with on Earth?
(a) Her cousin's husband.
(c) Her husband's cousin.
15. On earth now, who is occupying Inez's room?
(a) a college student
(b) a bitter woman just like Inez
(c) the ghost of florence
(d) a young couple making love
Short Answer Questions
1. After Garcin's confession, what does Inez admit to having done?
2. Why is Inez upset by her vision in Part 4?
3. What does Estelle ask Garcin to do in Part 4?
4. What does Inez admit she was always compelled to do?
5. Which character notices that Estelle has a nasty red pimple on her cheek?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)